Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2023 9:02:24 PM EDT
107 years ago, the battle of the Somme began. I've always been fascinated by the First World War. The older I get the more the absolute tragic waste of life hits home.

The numbers for that day are absolutely staggering.  The British Army suffered 60,000 casualties and 19,240 killed - on the first day alone.

Soldier Field in Chicago can hold a similar total
Attachment Attached File

As a comparison, Gettysburg casualties were around 50,000 with roughly 7000 killed on both sides, over a three day period.

I had three Great-Grandparents fight in the first world war. One was captured in late 1914, one was injured in 1917 (lost a leg) and another was killed on the first day of the Somme.

He was a part of a "Pals Battalion" - The Accrington Pals. Pals Battalions were recruited from a specific geographic location. Hundreds of men answered the call to join up from all walks of life. They were neighbours. They trained together and they went into battle together.

The Accrington Pals went over the top on the morning of July 1st, 700 men strong. In a matter of minutes, 235 were dead and 350 were wounded.

"We were able to see our comrades move forward in an attempt to cross No Man's Land, only to be mown down like meadow grass. I felt sick at the sight of the carnage and remember weeping."
Attachment Attached File

As with the majority of WW1 battles, it dragged on for months with unimaginable loss of life. 1.2 million soldiers became casualties (Allied and German total combined) in 5 months.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of those WW1 Generals should've been executed on the spot, IMO. Sending men over a bare field like that, straight at the German machine guns. Insane.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
We’re here because we’re here.
British soldier Edward Dwyer sings "We're Here Because We're Here" 1916
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The whole thing was a grinder and ultimately useless, just like previous wars fought like previous wars, and unfortunately later wars.

As bad as it may sound, Blitzkrieg and shock and awe work and put down uppity
Innsurrection's, the key is taking the heat to the enemy and doing it in innumerable numbers and having the gut's to take it to the limit. No pussy footing around. There's a word for that,, decimated. You want to fuck around,  find out, no quarter given unless you give early and often.

The Govt. Now a days plays by pussie foot rules because it lines their pockets.
I've got my great grandfather's headstone on my family ranch. ( He died, duh. When my great grandmother died they replaced the headstone for a shared one.) Don't worry,  he survived the war, just a funny endpoint.

That's why the American revolution worked in our favor,  Brittan was playing by outdated rules and expected us to abide, Patriots said fuck all that, and went unconventional warfare  and pressed on all sides, some conventional,  some not.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of those WW1 Generals should've been executed on the spot, IMO. Sending men over a bare field like that, straight at the German machine guns. Insane.
View Quote

Honest question- what was the alternative?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Hold the front, don't waste your army in pointless charges like this, let the naval blockade starve out the Central Powers?
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely brutal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Load up the amphib ships and invade their rears from the North Sea.

Or

Call the Americans sooner.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Just watched The Trench on Prime or Netflix. It was a pretty good movie about the lead up and the start of the 1st day.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nuke it from orbit. Just to make sure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The British learned first hand during the Boer War that charging an entrenched army who are firing magazine fired Mauser bullets will make your cavalry disappear. A leader who can't learn from the previous war shouldn't be a leader.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#13]
SABATON - 1916 (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That wasn't the plan at the Somme. The British planned on minimizing the loss of their soldiers.

The British shelled the German lines with millions of artillery rounds figuring to save their soldiers lives because there would be no resistance.
What they didn't count on was the Germans had built very strong trench systems that protected the soldiers from the shelling.

The British had plenty of fragmentation shells and thought those were the best way to destroy the barbed wire. Wrong. Turns out the HE shells would have been better.

Instead of an easy walk loaded down all of their equipment against no resistance, the Germans came out of their protected positions and manned the machineguns against the British hung up on the intact barbed wire.

Communications was poor and an attack that large had to be coordinated using a timed schedule.
When things went bad and the first troops were slaughtered, the attack continued on schedule, continuing the slaughter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
You can see why people would have a certain disdain for war profiteers and financiers after an occurrence like that
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve been meaning to finally read my WW1 books…

Right now I’m reading A Rifleman Went to War

Then it is on to one of these…

Likely going with the Sardinian Brigade just because I don’t know much about the Italian Front.

Does anyone know of a memoir from the Czechoslovak Legion?  I prefer memoirs vs just history books
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Or

View Quote

It took us roughly two years to mobilize infantry against Germany.

I imagine us throwing more bodies into that shit-storm of a flesh thresher in 1914-1916 would've resulted in tragically epic scale casualties on more sides.

Thankfully the Brits and Euros have enough testosterone left in their film industry to give us 1917 and All Quiet on the Western Front to give us glimpses into that four year nightmare.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a number of pretty good analysises of the battle.  Interesting fact: a significant number of British casualties on the first day were taken before even reaching the forward trenches.  In some cases, battalions took so many casualties they never even took part in the actual attacks.  Also, every division and corps was more or less free to use whatever tactics they wanted, and as a result, some divisions reached all their objectives quickly and cheaply, and others never even made it across no man's land.  Definitely a learning experience for the survivors.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Since OP mentioned going over the wall, I have these original postcard photos from back then. I can't find any info on the "fast walling team"

I really.like WWI history. Need to relisten to Dan Carlin's BFA.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hold the front, don't waste your army in pointless charges like this, let the naval blockade starve out the Central Powers?
View Quote

While the Central Powers annex all of Russia and Romania?  And without the massive losses they had to replace the blockade isn't going to accomplish nearly as much.  

Also, given a competent Entente command it's only fair to assume a competent Central Powers command that stops Verdun in early March, or rather stops infantry attacks and chews up the French with artillery only, and uses the saved resources in Russia or somewhere else useful
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Absolutely brutal.
View Quote

Nothing says "This was a total and complete waste" like WWI.

Say what you want, but that's the one war I'd want absolutely nothing to do with if I had to pick one to fight in. Nope. I'd nope the F out of that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There wasn't any.  Mechanized warfare was still in the dreaming stage, and cavalry were exceptionally vulnerable to machine gun fire.  Casualties like that were considered to be the unavoidable price of warfare.

The only real alternative for land-based warfare back then was blowing the hell out of the enemy with artillery and then sending the infantry in to take the positions.  Ironically, thanks to mines and trenches that's pretty much what is happening in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or

View Quote
Gallipoli would like a word.

And the Americans didn't want anything to do with the war in 1916.  Wilson was careful to pretend he wanted the US to stay neutral; he even campaigned on the fact he had kept the US out of war.

After he was safely re-elected and inaugurated he quickly got us into the war.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There wasn't any.  Mechanized warfare was still in the dreaming stage, and cavalry were exceptionally vulnerable to machine gun fire.  Casualties like that were considered to be the unavoidable price of warfare.

The only real alternative for land-based warfare back then was blowing the hell out of the enemy with artillery and then sending the infantry in to take the positions.  Ironically, thanks to mines and trenches that's pretty much what is happening in Ukraine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bingo. Best thing I've read about this is a pdf I saved about a decade ago.

MW proponents portray WW1 as the poorly conducted slaughter of armies through the ineptitude of the general officers involved. To this end the MW adherent has to play fast and loose with the historical record, and to ignore the reality of several vast national armies thrown at each other in a limited area of terrain, with little by way of tactical mobility other than horses and foot. These constraints, combined with the varying effects of telegraph, railways, and tinned rations, created the deadlock of the Western Front. Attempts to break the deadlock were of necessity ‘attritional’, and technical. The Western Front was created by a unique confluence of historical and technological circumstances. It was not a matter of military strategic or operational choice. The generals all understood wars of manoeuvre and mobility because they had studied and trained for these, as the field regulations and military writing of the time indicate. They were wrong-footed by the extremely rapid development of military technology, and also confounded by the sheer size of the endeavour in which they found themselves. Mobile warfare (albeit slow and un-mechanised) was the predominant form of warfare before WW1. The static attrition of the Western Front was an unexpected aberration.

The Manoeuvre Warfare Fraud, William F. Owen from smallwarsjournal.com
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Go and visit.

American battlefields have statues.  French battlefields have unexploded ordnance and craters still.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#28]
It is also the 160th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.  The 2 battles are 53 years (almost to the minute) apart.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Civil War is often seen as the precursor to WWI, without the automatic weapons and millions of troops in a continuous trench line.  The siege of Petersburg, with its stalemate and trenches and heavy artillery barrages, gave a taste of what was coming.  But Lee and Grant together only had a fraction of the troops engaged at the Somme.  As a result cavalry was still effective at getting around the flanks and exploiting holes in the defenses.

The Maxim gun changed all that; suddenly a company of entrenched infantry with a few well-placed machine guns could easily break any cavalry charge.  Cavalry became useless for anything but reconnaissance and quick raids.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh screw it, I'll break my silence and chime in on this one.

Growing up in the early '80s, our neighbors were an old English couple. They were both WW1 veterans, he was a soldier, she was a nurse who drove an ambulance. They met when he was wounded at the Somme and she drove him to either an aid station or hospital, I  can’t remember which.
Like most kids at the time, I was totally enamored with anything military related. I think I was maybe 8 or 9 years old when my family was at their house one night and I learned that they were in WW1. Being a kid, I had no understanding of the realities of war, especially that one and I said something stupid like “Wow! That must have been awesome!”
I WILL NEVER FORGET the look in that old mans eyes as tears welled up and he grabbed my hand and said “No, son. It was bloody awful. War is nothing but death and misery and nothing good ever comes from it.”  It was very sobering to say the least.

RIP “Uncle” Cecil and “Aunt” Lilly

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MW proponents portray WW1 as the poorly conducted slaughter of armies through the ineptitude of the general officers involved. To this end the MW adherent has to play fast and loose with the historical record, and to ignore the reality of several vast national armies thrown at each other in a limited area of terrain, with little by way of tactical mobility other than horses and foot. These constraints, combined with the varying effects of telegraph, railways, and tinned rations, created the deadlock of the Western Front. Attempts to break the deadlock were of necessity ‘attritional’, and technical. The Western Front was created by a unique confluence of historical and technological circumstances. It was not a matter of military strategic or operational choice. The generals all understood wars of manoeuvre and mobility because they had studied and trained for these, as the field regulations and military writing of the time indicate. They were wrong-footed by the extremely rapid development of military technology, and also confounded by the sheer size of the endeavour in which they found themselves. Mobile warfare (albeit slow and un-mechanised) was the predominant form of warfare before WW1. The static attrition of the Western Front was an unexpected aberration.

I think a great many schools of thought on the issue ignore or misunderstand the importance of the morass that was No Man's Land by mid-war.  

Even if the enemy melts away before you and you follow up with proper reserves, you still have to supply your advance using a route that crosses No Man's Land.  The enemy does not.  He has rail lines and roads.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Growing up in the early '80s, our neighbors were an old English couple. They were both WW1 veterans, he was a soldier, she was a nurse who drove an ambulance. They met when he was wounded at the Somme and she drove him to either an aid station or hospital, I  can't remember which.
Like most kids at the time, I was totally enamored with anything military related. I think I was maybe 8 or 9 years old when my family was at their house one night and I learned that they were in WW1. Being a kid, I had no understanding of the realities of war, especially that one and I said something stupid like "Wow! That must have been awesome!"
I WILL NEVER FORGET the look in that old mans eyes as tears welled up and he grabbed my hand and said "No, son. It was bloody awful. War is nothing but death and misery and nothing good ever comes from it."  It was very sobering to say the least.

RIP "Uncle" Cecil and "Aunt" Lilly

View Quote
Welcome
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Motorhead "1916" with film from the Somme
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#35]
The Green Fields of France | Ireland's Favourite Folk Song | RTÉ One
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, Kingdead.  I'm happy to be here. Threads like this are one of the reasons why I love this place.
ETA Maybe in another 12 years I can figure out how to reply to your post
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Growing up in the early '80s, our neighbors were an old English couple. They were both WW1 veterans, he was a soldier, she was a nurse who drove an ambulance. They met when he was wounded at the Somme and she drove him to either an aid station or hospital, I  can’t remember which.
Like most kids at the time, I was totally enamored with anything military related. I think I was maybe 8 or 9 years old when my family was at their house one night and I learned that they were in WW1. Being a kid, I had no understanding of the realities of war, especially that one and I said something stupid like “Wow! That must have been awesome!”
I WILL NEVER FORGET the look in that old mans eyes as tears welled up and he grabbed my hand and said “No, son. It was bloody awful. War is nothing but death and misery and nothing good ever comes from it.”  It was very sobering to say the least.

View Quote

12 years…. Hell of a first post, welcome
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#38]

But Sabaton is  gay. Motorheads version is WAYYYYYY better

JK though/ Both are good
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Man’s inhumaty towards man is beyond words I can express . I really hope that I am never put into a position that I find out how much violence I am capable of . Makes me sad ??
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:07:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Many many years ago I had a huge row at RMAS (Sandhurst) about The Somme by pointing out the Donkeys disproportionately used troops from Northern England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and the Dominions and these forces took the brunt of the action and the brunt of the casualties.  The revisionist historians are completely wrong about Haig and his acolytes - they made many significant, strategic mistakes and many tragic tactical mistakes that saw repeated loss of men and materiel for no gain (and continued to repeat the mistakes).  See below for Day 1, Battalions with more than 500 casualties.  

10th West Yorks
1st Newfoundland (a total disaster for New Foundland, 684 casualties)
4th Tyneside Scottish
1st Tyneside Irish
8th Yorks and Lancs
Co Down Volunteers
Donegal and Fermanagh Volunteers1/8th Royal Warwicks
1st Hampshire
Acrington Pals
1st Tyneside Scottish
1st Border
1st London Rifle Brigade
1st Royal inniskilling Fusiliers
2nd Royal Fusiliers
1st London Scottish
1st Kings Own Scottish Borderers
2nd Middlesex
8th Kings Own Yorkshire light Infantry
4th Tyneside Irish
3rd Tyneside Scottish
Armagh, Monaghan and Cavan Volunteers
Leeds pals
The Cambridge Battalion
Public schools Battalion
11th Border
1st Bradford pals
1st Edinburgh City Battalion
Sheffield City Battalion
Glasgow Boys Brigade Battalion
Queens Westminister Rifles
1st East Lancs

The Tower of London Poppies

British and Dominion deaths in WWI were greater than 880,000 and well in excess of 1,700,000 wounded.    

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Lyn Macdonald's book on the subject is harrowing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Dropkick Murphys - "The Green Fields Of France" (Full Album Stream)
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:49:04 AM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

I like the combined English-German versions too, but I think they cut off half of each rather than repeat the whole thing.  No more brother wars!
Es ist an der Zeit / The Green Fields Of France (Live)
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Flanking? Mobile attack in another area?

Yes, I know "mobile" in WW1 wasn't a thing, just using it in lieu of the correct word I can't think of right now.

Alexander the Great would circle & attack from the enemy's rear, Jeb Stuart would do that in the Civil War.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#46]

"In Flanders Field"
the poppies blow, between the crosses, row on row
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Civil War is often seen as the precursor to WWI, without the automatic weapons and millions of troops in a continuous trench line.  The siege of Petersburg, with its stalemate and trenches and heavy artillery barrages, gave a taste of what was coming.  But Lee and Grant together only had a fraction of the troops engaged at the Somme.  As a result cavalry was still effective at getting around the flanks and exploiting holes in the defenses.

The Maxim gun changed all that; suddenly a company of entrenched infantry with a few well-placed machine guns could easily break any cavalry charge.  Cavalry became useless for anything but reconnaissance and quick raids.
View Quote

Gatling gun?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I am the only one that got through

The others died where ever they fell

It was an ambush

They came up from all sides

Give your leaders each a gun and then let them fight it out themselves

I’ve seen devils coming up from the ground

-Harry Patch, quoted and used in a song by Radiohead
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes, I know "mobile" in WW1 wasn't a thing, just using it in lieu of the correct word I can't think of right now.

Alexander the Great would circle & attack from the enemy's rear, Jeb Stuart would do that in the Civil War.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tried that in 1914. It was called the race to the sea. A couple months into the war there were continuous trenches along the entire line.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#50]
All the generals and higher staff should have been lined up and shot for the way they sent men over the top into artillery and MG fire.

Their stupidity got hundreds of thousands of men killed and more injured.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top