Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capta:
First good footage of today’s fighter shootdown.  Comments elsewhere say SU-25.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/v5mes3/fighter_jet_of_unclear_origin_shot_down_in_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
View Quote

Is this a star streak again?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Scroll down the thread for the visual proof:

View Quote

I wonder if his own troops fragged him or not. Supposedly their is quit a bit of discontent going on there at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

That's the interesting thing, it got hit near the engines, but the missile could have been a long range shot where you wouldn't see a smoky trail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
First good footage of today's fighter shootdown.  Comments elsewhere say SU-25.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/v5mes3/fighter_jet_of_unclear_origin_shot_down_in_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Good toasty fireball footage.
Cant see were the hit came from?

That's the interesting thing, it got hit near the engines, but the missile could have been a long range shot where you wouldn't see a smoky trail.

Could also be one of those fancy UK Star Streak missiles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Yeah, it’s a major step up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Erno86:

That's equipped with the 120 mm smoothbore cannon barrel...

Yeah, it’s a major step up.

I worry about the protection levels on the A4 though.  Turkey already had a rough experience against ATGMs against their A4s, they were employing them without support making them easy targets, but they are missing many of the armor upgrades starting with the A5 and up.  The A4 in particular is light on hull armor as they were designed to fight hull down where the armor in the hull is less exposed.

They also don’t have the 55 caliber gun, though I expect the old 44 caliber should still have the juice to wreck anything it sees.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
First good footage of today's fighter shootdown.  Comments elsewhere say SU-25.

Yea, good point, I'd like to know what did it either way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#7]

I am very cautious about being optimistic. It just makes me sick that Ukranians are continuing to die as a result of russian invasion. But these bits do sound hopeful. I look forward to the war crime trials of russians who are not killed.

"Even as Russian forces continue to pour equipment and troops into the Severodonetsk-Lysychansk area, Ukrainian forces have conducted a successful counterattack in Severodonetsk in the last 48 hours and pushed Russian troops back to the eastern outskirts of the city and out of southern settlements.[2] Ukrainian counteroffensive pressure will likely continue to draw the attention of Russian forces to Luhansk Oblast and therefore leave vulnerabilities in Russian defensive efforts in Kharkiv Oblast and along the Southern Axis. The ability of Ukrainian forces to successfully counterattack in Severodonetsk, the Kremlin’s current priority area of operations, further indicates the declining combat power of Russian forces in Ukraine."

" This attack on Kyiv likely indicates that Russian forces are continuing to target Ukrainian infrastructure in non-critical areas of Ukraine in order to disrupt Ukrainian logistics as Russian forces take considerable losses in Donbas."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     "[9] Khodakovsky blamed the pervasive public discourse on general mobilization for making people overthink and subsequently become less willing to enter military service, thereby forcing Russian military command closer to actually needing to announce general mobilization. Khodakovsky suggested that this discourse is setting Russia up for a long war in Ukraine and that Russian authorities have been positioned to take the blame for losses."
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By xd675:

I worry about the protection levels on the A4 though.  Turkey already had a rough experience against ATGMs against their A4s, they were employing them without support making them easy targets, but they are missing many of the armor upgrades starting with the A5 and up.  The A4 in particular is light on hull armor as they were designed to fight hull down where the armor in the hull is less exposed.

They also don’t have the 55 caliber gun, though I expect the old 44 caliber should still have the juice to wreck anything it sees.
View Quote

It’s the best they can get, and if they survive the war they can be upgraded.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
First good footage of today’s fighter shootdown.  Comments elsewhere say SU-25.

If you freeze-frame it, there is a diagonal linear feature that looks like a shot from the lower right of this point of view.  Based on the lack of a smoke trail and the prompt and total destruction of the SU, I would bet on Starstreak.  Stinger probably doesn’t have the punch to do that.  Not sure about the various other MANPADS in Ukraine.
Note that the SU was flying at medium altitude, possibly indicating this footage is shot behind Russian lines where the pilot believed he was “safe.”  Also note no flares - pilot probably never knew what hit him.
The steep flaming descent actually reminded me a lot of WWII pacific footage.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Exactly, and its surprising how many people cant see the bigger picture about this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By Abakan:
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
Originally Posted By AaronR:

which price are taxpayers paying for the freebies? full export, or pentagon discount?

How much value are the tax payers getting from a strategic and economic rival getting wrecked with no uniformed service members getting killed?

If this costs us a trillion dollars but kicks the russians in the curb as a fighting force I am all for it. Makes it easier to concentrate on the one enemy that counts: CHINA

I say stomp the russians into pulp. The fact that Ukraine is doing it for us is a huge bonus.

Almost the complete opposite to other Iraq and Afg.

Ukriane Is doing the fighting. Men stay and fight women and children can get to safety as refugees

Shitholes: America doing the fighting. Refugees we got were millitary aged males.

Mothereffing THIS! Why is this so hard for others to figure out? All Ukraine is asking for is equipment to make it a fair fight. A weakened Russia takes a malevolent player off the chessboard.

Exactly, and its surprising how many people cant see the bigger picture about this.

Thank god most Americans have more than a rudimentary understanding of world geopolitics. While experts on the 2A, the average arfcommer makes us (gun owners) look like redneck isolationist morons. Prior to the Ukrainian conflict, the military was really worried about having to fight a two front war.  Russias invasion of the Ukraine was the opening move of a conflict already planned by by the east. Talking Russia off the board militarily might just prevent WW3. China needed Russia on board in the west to pin down Europe and divide our forces. It’s a big win for us, we should be giving the Ukrainians anything they need to win. It’s far cheaper than the alternative.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I am wondering what is making the difference in Sieverodonetsk. Speak the truth is talking about having the high ground to spot artillery fires but I think something else is up. Maybe the reapers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:

I would almost put money on UKR arty on the heights out side the city doing a sort of moving barrage in front of advancing troops all WW1 like.
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUgp9GuWAAIPvb5?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUgqAHAWYAAcleL?format=jpg&name=small

Hopefully gobbeled up like a huge Pac-Man

Yea, that's a surprising turn of events, good opportunity to crush them and break the Russian advance in the East.

I would almost put money on UKR arty on the heights out side the city doing a sort of moving barrage in front of advancing troops all WW1 like.

Rolling barrages are very hard to coordinate in with the guns we have these days they just can’t generate the volume of fire necessary to do it. You got a remember in World War I you had howitzers and guns at often can shoot up to one  every two seconds for short periods of time
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:

You are right. However, the other side of the coin is that the UA economy in serious trouble, millions of people are displaced and it's running on fumes.

Next year, even this winter will be brutal for both countries. In this war of attrition, the real question is, who hits the bottom first.  If you don't, you are the winner.

View Quote

Ukraine’s total GDP is a total of 155B.  Even if it contracts 40% (as stated by Zelensky) the west can make up a significant chunk of that.  All of it, if they wanted to.
News articles note that many previous emigrants are returning.  It’s clear to most by now that Russia will never advance west of the Dnepr (outside of Kherson) so the majority of the population can return in relative safety and go back to work.
That doesn’t mean the situation is rosy.  Lots of Ukrainian men are dying.  But the situation appears to be turning in Ukraine’s favor, and the west will do what it takes to ensure this continues.  The US in particular has proven to have the will to continue support in the face of insane threats, so it’s Russia that is standing on the precipice.
I remember an interesting article in the first couple of weeks of the war, purporting to be from an FSB dissident.  In it he acknowledges that there was internal speculation that the FSB got suckered into a deadly trap in Ukraine, and that “they could see the abyss winking back at them.”  We’ll probably never know if it was a legitimate position paper or not.  However, if so, it indicates that internally they already knew that Russia was in an apocalyptic, worst possible case scenario.  If it’s fake, it means the western author was shockingly prescient.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By R0N:

Rolling barrages are very hard to coordinate in with the guns we have these days they just can't generate the volume of fire necessary to do it. You got a remember in World War I you had howitzers and guns at often can shoot up to one  every two seconds for short periods of time
View Quote
~1000 guns per mile in WW1 for the big shows like the Somme, Verdun, Passchendaele

I would assume there could be a modern way of doing it that is more accurate with lower volume of fire.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

Thank god most Americans have more than a rudimentary understanding of world geopolitics. While experts on the 2A, the average arfcommer makes us (gun owners) look like redneck isolationist morons. Prior to the Ukrainian conflict, the military was really worried about having to fight a two front war.  Russias invasion of the Ukraine was the opening move of a conflict already planned by by the east. Talking Russia off the board militarily might just prevent WW3. China needed Russia on board in the west to pin down Europe and divide our forces. It’s a big win for us, we should be giving the Ukrainians anything they need to win. It’s far cheaper than the alternative.
View All Quotes

which price are taxpayers paying for the freebies? full export, or pentagon discount?

How much value are the tax payers getting from a strategic and economic rival getting wrecked with no uniformed service members getting killed?

If this costs us a trillion dollars but kicks the russians in the curb as a fighting force I am all for it. Makes it easier to concentrate on the one enemy that counts: CHINA

I say stomp the russians into pulp. The fact that Ukraine is doing it for us is a huge bonus.

Ukriane Is doing the fighting. Men stay and fight women and children can get to safety as refugees

Shitholes: America doing the fighting. Refugees we got were millitary aged males.

Mothereffing THIS! Why is this so hard for others to figure out? All Ukraine is asking for is equipment to make it a fair fight. A weakened Russia takes a malevolent player off the chessboard.

100% agree.  This is the bargain of the century.  Maybe the millennia.  I think at some point in the next few months we will see the taps of western supply really open up.  I’ve stated elsewhere that (IMO) the slow initial pace of supply was calibrated to let Russia really get stuck in with hopes of winning even after their initial serious losses.  The west intends to bleed the Russian army to death in Ukraine and take Russia off the table as a strategic threat in the aftermath of this war.  I regret that Ukrainians are paying the price in blood, but the Ukrainian nation gets freedom from its maniacal neighbor, long-term security and prosperity, and full integration with Europe, so I think the sacrifice is more than worth it for them.  They will be fine in the long run and I think there is a good chance that Kiev replaces Moscow as the center of slavic nationhood for the first time in hundreds of years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
https://t.me/vchkogpu/30042

“A photo of the Tiger appeared from the alleged place of death of Major General Roman Kutuzov. A convoy of these vehicles and the Andromeda satellite communication machine-station was ambushed”
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Rolling barrages are very hard to coordinate in with the guns we have these days they just can’t generate the volume of fire necessary to do it. You got a remember in World War I you had howitzers and guns at often can shoot up to one  every two seconds for short periods of time
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUgp9GuWAAIPvb5?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUgqAHAWYAAcleL?format=jpg&name=small

Hopefully gobbeled up like a huge Pac-Man

Yea, that's a surprising turn of events, good opportunity to crush them and break the Russian advance in the East.

The scale of supply was also orders of magnitude larger.  You had thousands of guns in a barrage like that, firing ammunition that was measured by the trainload.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The Ukrainians just pushed in fresh troops, the current defenders were getting battle fatigue. We’re talking 24/7 barrages of heavy artillery for months in end. I think most westerners would crack after a week of it. These new forces were eager to take the fight to the Russians and that they are supported by additional mortar, drone and artillery. The Russians are also running out of forces. A lot of the attackers were lnr/dnr supported by some Wagner and kadyrovites.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

shoot half your artillery while the other half reloads. barrage is half as big. but hey it's rolling. that's what you wanted wasn't it?

need more? get more guns.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#20]
The Ukrainians just pushed in fresh troops, the current defenders were getting battle fatigue. We’re talking 24/7 barrages of heavy artillery for months in end. I think most westerners would crack after a week of it. These new forces were eager to take the fight to the Russians and that they are supported by additional mortar, drone and artillery. The Russians are also running out of forces. A lot of the attackers were lnr/dnr supported by some Wagner and kadyrovites.
View Quote

Good. I hope they're full of hate.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:24:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#21]
Ukrainian artillery section that uses the French CAESAR artillery, some drone footage of dead Russians and vehicles included.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/v5r33z/a_day_with_the_ukrainian_artillerymen_using_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#22]

100% agree.  This is the bargain of the century.  Maybe the millennia.  I think at some point in the next few months we will see the taps of western supply really open up.  I’ve stated elsewhere that (IMO) the slow initial pace of supply was calibrated to let Russia really get stuck in with hopes of winning even after their initial serious losses.  The west intends to bleed the Russian army to death in Ukraine and take Russia off the table as a strategic threat in the aftermath of this war.  I regret that Ukrainians are paying the price in blood, but the Ukrainian nation gets freedom from its maniacal neighbor, long-term security and prosperity, and full integration with Europe, so I think the sacrifice is more than worth it for them.  They will be fine in the long run and I think there is a good chance that Kiev replaces Moscow as the center of slavic nationhood for the first time in hundreds of years.
View All Quotes

They called Afghanistan the "Soviet Vietnam", however, when it comes to the utter collapse of Russian power across the board, this is almost a an extinction-level event.  Those million Russian exiles (mostly a combination of young and well-educated who, absent MAJOR changes, are not coming back), as well as expending no less than 30,000 young people (often among their most nationalistic/patriotic young citizens) in combat. is going to hammer the Russian People for generations.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#23]
The Ukrainians just pushed in fresh troops, the current defenders were getting battle fatigue. We're talking 24/7 barrages of heavy artillery for months in end. I think most westerners would crack after a week of it. These new forces were eager to take the fight to the Russians and that they are supported by additional mortar, drone and artillery. The Russians are also running out of forces. A lot of the attackers were lnr/dnr supported by some Wagner and kadyrovites.
View Quote

Got it thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Prime:

“A photo of the Tiger appeared from the alleged place of death of Major General Roman Kutuzov. A convoy of these vehicles and the Andromeda satellite communication machine-station was ambushed”
View Quote

Looks like an single ap round through the windshield. Although I can’t see the picture all that well. Dudes head was definitely canoed. Good shot whoever made it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Ukrainian artillery section that uses the French CAESAR artillery, some drone footage of dead Russians and vehicles included.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/v5r33z/a_day_with_the_ukrainian_artillerymen_using_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
View Quote

Notice during fire mission processing, the message “no met”.   17km with no met, and still being able kill SPs talks to how much the Russian suck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By WILSON:

Fixed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WILSON:

Russia will implode on their own, and thats if they don't continue doing do something monumentally stupid first AGAIN. things.

Fixed.
Fixed your fix
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Spain to send tanks, missiles to Ukraine, El Pais reports
Export authorization would need to be granted by Berlin for the German-made Leopard tanks.

https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-to-send-tanks-missiles-to-ukraine-el-pais-reports/

Hopefully Germany doesn't cuck out on this one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Putin warns of hitting ‘new targets’ if Kyiv gets new missiles
The Russia president issues a new warning to the West against providing Ukraine with long-range missiles as it attacks Kyiv.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/5/russia-to-strike-new-targets-if-kyiv-sent-long-range-rockets

Putin warned that he would hit new targets if advanced rocket systems were supplied to Ukraine, adding that new arms deliveries to Kyiv are aimed at “prolonging the conflict”.

Moscow “will draw the appropriate conclusions and use our arms…. to strike at those targets which we have not yet been hitting,” the Russian leader said without specifying which targets he meant.

“We believe that the US is deliberately pouring oil on the fire. The US is obviously holding the line that it will fight Russia to the last Ukrainian,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Notice during fire mission processing, the message "no met".   17km with no met, and still being able kill SPs talks to how much the Russian suck.
View Quote

Tried to google but still can't figure it out. Found met is corrections to fire?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Ukraine’s total GDP is a total of 155B.  Even if it contracts 40% (as stated by Zelensky) the west can make up a significant chunk of that.  All of it, if they wanted to.
News articles note that many previous emigrants are returning.  It’s clear to most by now that Russia will never advance west of the Dnepr (outside of Kherson) so the majority of the population can return in relative safety and go back to work.
That doesn’t mean the situation is rosy.  Lots of Ukrainian men are dying.  But the situation appears to be turning in Ukraine’s favor, and the west will do what it takes to ensure this continues.  The US in particular has proven to have the will to continue support in the face of insane threats, so it’s Russia that is standing on the precipice.
I remember an interesting article in the first couple of weeks of the war, purporting to be from an FSB dissident.  In it he acknowledges that there was internal speculation that the FSB got suckered into a deadly trap in Ukraine, and that “they could see the abyss winking back at them.”  We’ll probably never know if it was a legitimate position paper or not.  However, if so, it indicates that internally they already knew that Russia was in an apocalyptic, worst possible case scenario.  If it’s fake, it means the western author was shockingly prescient.
View All Quotes

You are right. However, the other side of the coin is that the UA economy in serious trouble, millions of people are displaced and it's running on fumes.

Next year, even this winter will be brutal for both countries. In this war of attrition, the real question is, who hits the bottom first.  If you don't, you are the winner.

GDP contraction exceeds GD levels here in US.

An entire army of men is away in the trenches. Millions displaced back and forth. The country is at the total mercy of western powers in terms not just military aid but also the very basics.

Both countries are flying into abyss. It appear that UA victory will occur if RF doesn't win. That's all they have to do, hold out.

My biggest fear is not a military defeat but some BS agreement forced at the negotiating table. Those who fund the whole thing call the shots. Imagine this, NATO or US or EU will say, sign this or we stop all aid.
UA can't manage this alone.

I think this war is the old situation of "I am not trying to outrun the bear, all I have to do is outrun you".
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

Tried to google but still can't figure it out. Found met is corrections to fire?
View All Quotes

Notice during fire mission processing, the message "no met".   17km with no met, and still being able kill SPs talks to how much the Russian suck.

Not sure if it is different on French systems, but I believe it means they are firing without digital meteorological data and the piece is firing either on some sort of baseline data or on manually entered data that isn't being updated between missions.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Nice vid. I've always liked the CAESAR for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Putin warns of hitting ‘new targets’ if Kyiv gets new missiles
The Russia president issues a new warning to the West against providing Ukraine with long-range missiles as it attacks Kyiv.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/5/russia-to-strike-new-targets-if-kyiv-sent-long-range-rockets

Putin warned that he would hit new targets if advanced rocket systems were supplied to Ukraine, adding that new arms deliveries to Kyiv are aimed at “prolonging the conflict”.

Moscow “will draw the appropriate conclusions and use our arms…. to strike at those targets which we have not yet been hitting,” the Russian leader said without specifying which targets he meant.

“We believe that the US is deliberately pouring oil on the fire. The US is obviously holding the line that it will fight Russia to the last Ukrainian,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

View Quote

No but I'll bet Ukraine is willing to fight them to the last Russian.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Not sure if it is different on French systems, but I believe it means they are firing without digital meteorological data and the piece is firing either on some sort of baseline data or on manually entered data that isn't being updated between missions.
View All Quotes

That's what the reporter said was during a demonstration, so I imagine they weren't getting updates. If they're available, anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Summary of today by AJ:

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#36]
The Ukrainians just pushed in fresh troops, the current defenders were getting battle fatigue. We're talking 24/7 barrages of heavy artillery for months in end. I think most westerners would crack after a week of it. These new forces were eager to take the fight to the Russians and that they are supported by additional mortar, drone and artillery. The Russians are also running out of forces. A lot of the attackers were lnr/dnr supported by some Wagner and kadyrovites.
View Quote

Good to hear from you. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Jack841:

That's what the reporter said was during a demonstration, so I imagine they weren't getting updates. If they're available, anyway.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack841:

yea just wasn't sure how that translated into Russians sucking. Just that even poorly aimed shells are driving them back?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#38]
Chinese media. Reminds me of something I read earlier- China’s supporting politically, but not militarily.
https://weibo.com/2810373291/LwqbD4BVj

Russia said the Sarmat intercontinental missile can break through the enemy’s anti-missile system# [Russian media: #95% of the Russian strategic rocket force is in full combat readiness# ] According to a report on the 5th by Red Star TV affiliated to the Russian Ministry of Defense, the Russian strategic rocket Army Commander Karakayev said that 95 percent of the Russian Strategic Rocket Forces are in full combat readiness.
  Karakayev told Red Star TV that the Russian Strategic Rocket Force is continuing to re-equip the "Pioneer" missile system that can carry hypersonic warheads. In addition, the Ujul Missile Corps, which has been equipped with the "Sarmat" intercontinental ballistic missile this year, will also begin to enter combat readiness duty.
  Karakayev also said that the current equipment ratio of the Russian Strategic Rocket Force's modern weapons is 83%, and it is expected to exceed 86% by the end of this year.
  The website of the Russian Ministry of Defense announced on April 20 that the Russian army successfully test-fired a "Sarmat" intercontinental ballistic missile that day, and the design performance of the missile at all stages of flight has been confirmed.
  The Russian side said that its fifth-generation heavy-duty intercontinental ballistic missile "Sarmat" weighs more than 200 tons, can carry a variety of nuclear warheads including hypersonic warheads, and can break through the enemy's anti-missile system. (The picture is a data map)
View Quote

Russian version-

“95% of the grouping of the Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN) of Russia are constantly in full combat readiness, said the commander of the Strategic Missile Forces Sergey Karakaev”

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I am wondering what is making the difference in Sieverodonetsk. Speak the truth is talking about having the high ground to spot artillery fires but I think something else is up. Maybe the reapers.
View Quote

First, I think we can state that the success of the Ukrainian counter-attack isn’t fake or massively inflated by propaganda.  There are pro-Russian sources indicating as much.
However, the UA has stated that “the Russians were drawn into a trap,” which I find dubious.  That is, I don’t really believe this was the masterplan all along.  I think it’s much more likely that a fast-thinking brigade commander saw an opportunity in the situation and exercised his initiative to exploit it.  So, perhaps a trap in that sense.
That it was successful in Severodonetz in the face of an all-out Russian effort, and that the situation appears to be stabilizing in the east overall, indicates that the Russian army is in even worse shape than was speculated.
I doubt there’s any superweapon involved, but the UA is probably finding its stride with the 155s and the Russians are getting a taste of their own medicine.  My bet is that the UA artillery is emplaced on reverse slopes over the city where the Russians can’t find it and can’t hit back.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

The british are making noise that they will send warships to protect shipping.
View All Quotes

Don’t be so sure of that.
The impending world grain shortage will ultimately force action by the west.  There have been recent articles about western nations de-mining Odessa so shipments could resume.  This is basically preparing the western public for moves to break the blockade.  At some point (within months) you will see a UN vote that Russia’s blockade constitutes genocide against non-combatants elsewhere in the world, and is therefore illegal.  Then the US and/or another naval power will announce that they will escort ships to and from Odessa for humanitarian purposes, and that will be game over.

The british are making noise that they will send warships to protect shipping.

British Patriotic Song: Rule, Britannia!
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#42]
25m men of fighting age. 2m or more of whom have left.

Calling up too many people could lead to violence in Russia though.

View Quote
Don't forget the Tooth-to-Tail ratio mention hundreds of pages ago.

For every fighter there are 10 people providing the resources needed to fight.  Where are all the ammunition coming from?  Just small arms.  OK, they are importing as much as they can, as feee as they can.  That means civilians just to unload the whatever the material came from. Repair and other facilities; food, medical and POL supplies.

I just did a bit of calculating.  Figure the time I entered the to when I was sent to Fort Hoodlum, About the same time has passed from the Start of the War to now.  Basic followed by AIT.  E-type-Deuce when I arrived at Fort Hoodlum.

Looking Over There I wonder how much time they chopped off their schedule.  Granted I had weekends off, I wonder how much down-time they get.  Train the recruits as hard as you can, as fast a you can.  They really don't need to know how to salute nor have shine on their boots you can shave with.  They might not exactly need to know HOW to shave.  They have the incentive coming down around their country every hour of every day.  Know basic Survival, marksmanship and teamwork.   Your country at war is the ultimate On-The-Job training.  Just how much Good Training are they getting?

Guessing About Now, the greenest recruits know Basic Squad Tactics for whatever they are going to be doing: Infantry or Artillery or whatever.  They need to train to fight Company size groups soon, followed by battalion sized units.  OK, replacements are needed everywhere.....Larger sized units are still going to be needed.  Penny-packing units isn't real going to do that much good.  A hard-hitting brigade or Division is going to be needed eventually.  Somebody already note that will take months of training.

Right now The Ukraine is fighting for time.  While you can say Russian troops are receiving pin-pricks wherever possible, you know just how much pain getting stuck with a pin can hurt.  You also know that these pins are Yuge and aren't being taken out any time soon.  You can also say that many of the pins are really nails.  Kiev, I believe, knows that a True Counteroffensive will be using a force consisting of multiple battalions under a unified command attacking all at once.

They just need time and material to train everybody to a Good Enough Standard.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
I hope they're trained better than the Russian Armed forces.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#44]

If they throw numbers at this problem, they would surely win. ...

View Quote

It's not that simple.  When it was man-to-man on the line, you could figure force ratios and feel pretty confident in that.

Russia has over 12,000 miles of land border - almost all of which is with states hostile to Russia.  They can't abandon all that to focus on a few hundred miles in Ukraine.  They also have a massive disadvantage in available manpower, motivation, mobilization potential, and almost every metric of technological parity.  Russia could probably scrape up every person willing to fight or they can force to, send them into Ukraine and they will still lose against Western ISR, weapons, tactics, and the available manpower of the Ukr forces.

Population of the USA in 1940: 132,000,000
Population of Japan in 1940: 70,000,000

No way the US on paper should be able to create a dominant force ratio, project that power across the Pacific, and win.  But they did. Easily - while dedicating about 2/3rd to 3/4s of its military effort in Europe.   Comparing the poor decision making of Japan in WWII is probably a good analogy to Russia now - many of the same errors of nationalism, militarism, geopolitical and cultural ignorance, etc.

Russia isn't fighting just Ukraine. Russia is fighting the mobilized manpower of Ukraine + all the intelligence, weaponry, and economic support that the vast majority of the western world will supply.  The cultural, economic, and military alliance that is forming against them is unmanageable for them.  And it is daily growing in strength and resolve, not getting weaker.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#45]

First, I think we can state that the success of the Ukrainian counter-attack isn’t fake or massively inflated by propaganda.  There are pro-Russian sources indicating as much.
However, the UA has stated that “the Russians were drawn into a trap,” which I find dubious.  That is, I don’t really believe this was the masterplan all along.  I think it’s much more likely that a fast-thinking brigade commander saw an opportunity in the situation and exercised his initiative to exploit it.  So, perhaps a trap in that sense.
That it was successful in Severodonetz in the face of an all-out Russian effort, and that the situation appears to be stabilizing in the east overall, indicates that the Russian army is in even worse shape than was speculated.
I doubt there’s any superweapon involved, but the UA is probably finding its stride with the 155s and the Russians are getting a taste of their own medicine.  My bet is that the UA artillery is emplaced on reverse slopes over the city where the Russians can’t find it and can’t hit back.
View Quote

Yeah, it seemed like Ukraine was attempting a strategic withdrawal that would ultimately cede the city to the Russians, but at a cost, but without imposing such a cost on Ukraine's own forces or other campaign efforts.  I agree that there was most likely an opportunity recognized after that decision was made which resulted in a change in strategy which then caught the Russians by surprise.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#46]

They called Afghanistan the "Soviet Vietnam", however, when it comes to the utter collapse of Russian power across the board, this is almost a an extinction-level event.  Those million Russian exiles (mostly a combination of young and well-educated who, absent MAJOR changes, are not coming back), as well as expending no less than 30,000 young people (often among their most nationalistic/patriotic young citizens) in combat. is going to hammer the Russian People for generations.
View Quote

I think that the 30,000 losses and counting are important but not in themselves crippling.  Russia is suffering from several systemic problems.  Their military decision-making at the strategic level is terrible, and losses in upper-level officers both direct and by purge/arrest/being relieved will ensure that it continues to degrade.  Their political decision-making is also crippled by their effectively totalitarian system.   No one can tell Putin he’s wrong.  I’ve made the point before that the strategic decision making by Russia is comparable to Japan pre-WW2 - engaging in a war against a correlation of forces they could not possibly hope to prevail against, all for completely bogus socio-political “reasons.”
Their endemic corruption is a complementary problem.  The military (and society overall) has been robbed blind by the politically connected class, and simply does not have the capability indicated by their income and expenditures.  It doesn’t exist.  Or rather, it exists in the form of various yachts, real estate investments, and so on - not in productive economic or military assets.
At the same time, the Russian people were propagandized the opposite.  Russian beliefs in their capabilities have totally diverged from actual Russian capabilities.  You can see this in various Russian mil-blog articles all stating, effectively, that “progress would be greater if only we weren’t fighting with kid gloves on.”  Even people who should know better like the war criminal Igor Girkin.  The ‘kid gloves” have never been on, and Russia is fighting the war at the level it is capable of fighting - and the outlook is negative.
Professional Russian military men at the mid-upper levels probably understand the seriousness of their position.   A retired Russian colonel and defense analyst stated before the war in a shockingly prescient article that “war against Ukraine was fundamentally not in Russia’s national interests.”  But Russia is in a death spiral and it remains to be seen if Russian patriots can do what is necessary to step back from the brink.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Looks like an single ap round through the windshield. Although I can’t see the picture all that well. Dudes head was definitely canoed. Good shot whoever made it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:

If you look closely there are at least 5 hits in the grill, probably .50 cal, and one in the windshield.  Ma Deuce on the loose???
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#48]
more nuclear gum flapping. they don't sound too convinced of themselves.

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Yeah, it seemed like Ukraine was attempting a strategic withdrawal that would ultimately cede the city to the Russians, but at a cost, but without imposing such a cost on Ukraine's own forces or other campaign efforts.  I agree that there was most likely an opportunity recognized after that decision was made which resulted in a change in strategy which then caught the Russians by surprise.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

I'm a little more charitable on the Severodonetz planning and execution, and am more than willing to believe that the UA played the Russians like a bullfighter with a cape...and here comes the sword.  Or as I mentioned earlier in the thread, they pulled a rope-a-dope and the Russians fell for it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TTTSNB:
more nuclear gum flapping. they don't sound too convinced of themselves.

View Quote

Sobering.  I’ve known since the beginning of this war that the risks were serious.  But now I know what it was like living through WWII, in the sense that we’re facing a society that should be modern, prosperous, and reasonable, but which has allowed itself to be hijacked by utterly corrupt, moronic lunatics.  We’re watching Dr. Goebbels with modern production values and nukes.
You can tell the woman is scared, but spouts her jingoist idiocy anyway.  These fools may be way down the power structure in Russia, but they bear as much responsibility as Putin personally.  Inciting genocide and helping to lead a nation to its doom - and for what?  50K a year?
I truly feel sorry for all the Russians (not to mention Ukrainians) these people will kill, but for them only contempt.  They will be held accountable, in this life or the next.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5590
Top Top