Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/22/2022 7:24:15 AM EDT
My neighbor’s tree got stuck yesterday evening. He screwed brackets into the tree to hang string lights. Notice where the stripped bark ends. I guess it’s probably a bad idea to screw metal brackets into a tree to hang lights off of. Another crazy thing that happened was on the inside (sunroom) a socket plate blew off and according to the person that was in the room, a spark shot out of it. Luckily she was sitting across the room. Crazy stuff.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Ride the Lightning! Glad nothing caught fire.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Fact: Lightning can have 100 million to 1 billion volts, and contains billions of watts
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding. The parents weren’t home at the time so I went over to make sure everything was ok. Did a check around the house before the homeowner returned.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did that once in the mid 1960's when I was  paperboy.  I was putting the newspaper in behind a customer's screen door when BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!   According to another customer who saw it my body jumped three feet straight up into the air without even bending my knees.  Ears still ringing all these years later.  For the record, it was VERY LOUD and VERY BRIGHT.  Stunned me pretty good too.  I could not work my muscles enough to get back on my bike so I pushed it home, sat down for a few minutes to compose myself and then did the rest to my route on foot.  Never told my parents.  They had enough worries already.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fact: Lightning can have 100 million to 1 billion volts, and contains billions of watts
View Quote

A typical lightning flash is about 300 million Volts and about 30,000 Amps - electrifying isn't it
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did that once in the mid 1960's when I was  paperboy.  I was putting the newspaper in behind a customer's screen door when BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!   According to another customer who saw it my body jumped three feet straight up into the air without even bending my knees.  Ears still ringing all these years later.  For the record, it was VERY LOUD and VERY BRIGHT.  Stunned me pretty good too.  I could not work my muscles enough to get back on my bike so I pushed it home, sat down for a few minutes to compose myself and then did the rest to my route on foot.  Never told my parents.  They had enough worries already.  

View Quote

You sir have what they call grit. We need more people like that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#7]
That's how one of my neighbor's house burned down.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's how one of my neighbor's house burned down.
View Quote

The homeowner did call the fire department before turning the breakers back on as a precaution.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#9]
A tree in my neighbor’s yard across the street got struck a few years ago and caused about $10K in damage at my house. Idk what his damages were but, much more than mine. It blew one of his outside spigots off.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A tree in my neighbor’s yard across the street got struck a few years ago and caused about $10K in damage at my house. Idk what his damages were but, much more than mine. It blew one of his outside spigots off.
View Quote

I think NC ranks up there with FL when it comes to deadly lightning.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmm, I also have a metal bracket into a tree to hang my patio lights.  Guess I need to rethink that.  Thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#13]
That tree is gone, I have seen this happen.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was another thought. Will the tree survive?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hmm, I also have a metal bracket into a tree to hang my patio lights.  Guess I need to rethink that.  Thanks for the post.
View Quote

Maybe a plastic bracket would be a better option? I have string lights around my deck too but aren’t attached to any trees. I used a 2x2 to hold one corner up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A typical lightning flash is about 300 million Volts and about 30,000 Amps - electrifying isn't it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm shocked to learn this.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe a plastic bracket would be a better option? I have string lights around my deck too but aren’t attached to any trees. I used a 2x2 to hold one corner up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I was searching for one but couldn't find anything.  My other thought was using a zip tie.  It is already using a zip tie to attached to the bracket but if I use another zip tie attached to that zip tie maybe that would provide enough insulation?

This tree is right at the edge of the patio so trying to figure out another option.  I do use a 4x4 in a planter for the attachment point next to the outlet but I can't fit that where this tree is and is why the tree is perfect.  Shit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was searching for one but couldn't find anything.  My other thought was using a zip tie.  It is already using a zip tie to attached to the bracket but if I use another zip tie attached to that zip tie maybe that would provide enough insulation?

This tree is right at the edge of the patio so trying to figure out another option.  I do use a 4x4 in a planter for the attachment point next to the outlet but I can't fit that where this tree is and is why the tree is perfect.  Shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ground the bracket with some bare wire and a nail.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#19]
This recent storm was arcing and sparking non stop.
I'm surprised that there were no major fires.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Induced currents
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was a kid lightning hit a big oak tree about 30 feet from the house.

Blew out an electrical outlet in a bedroom that was about 2 feet below a window.

Parts of the outlet came through the window sill.

Tree was toast.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had this very thing happen to me except my lights were not attached to the tree. They were attached to the deck, right next to the tree. The lightning went all the way down the tree and jumped/crossed into the wiring. Then it travelled around the deck, exploding each light and inside via the outlet. Fried pretty much everything inside.

And the tree died. They always die if they’re hit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#23]
17 years ago my neighbors house burned to the ground after a lightning strike.

No one was home except for their golden retriever. The neighbor on the other side said the dog was with them on vacation. Poor dog.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Good chance anything electronic plugged into that house is fried. May show up immediately or take a few months to die but it’s been damaged…probably.  Have them check EVERY item and EVERY function of that item before settling with insurance.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, I don't think the bracket had anything to do with the tree being hit.  Had the bracket  and lights not been present, the bark would have been blown off all the way to the ground, and the tree would be just as dead.

That said, the lightning would have been less likely to damage wiring in the house if there had been no connection from the tree that was stuck to the wiring.

Edit to add: If you have a double oven, check both.  My neighbor's home was struck by lightning, and about 18 months later they discovered that their rarely used bottom oven's heating was damaged when they hosted Thanksgiving and needed both ovens.  The interior of the oven was covered with slag, and a couple of inches of the element was missing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#26]
The biggest thing I've learned about lightning is that it can come out of a clear blue sky.

I've seen it, and it scared the crap out of me.  I've been caught on golf courses in some wicked storms because I stuck around hearing thunder in the distance.

No more. They say if you can hear thunder you're at risk. I believe it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes they die fast, other times it takes a few years. It’s already dead either way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think NC ranks up there with FL when it comes to deadly lightning.
View Quote

Lost a house up the road from me last night due to strike.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Utility guy here

Lighting is fucking incredible

And destructive

ETA and as an aside, we had a guy in town building a tree house for his kids. Lightning hit a tree like your neighbor’s, the current ran down the tree and into the electrical cord of the drill he was using. Killed him.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  It’s gone might as well start before it starts drying out. Nice tree next to it so they are not losing much there but it’s going cost to take it out
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#31]
They should use that tree to make baseball bats.

If you're on a golf course and a bad storm comes up, hold a one iron up in the air, even god can't hit a one iron, or so I've heard.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a heavy rubber bungee. Wrap around tree .
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sometimes they die fast, other times it takes a few years. It’s already dead either way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of live trees in the woods with ooold lightning scars.  Yeah , everything dies, but lightning strikes are definitely survivable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No.  It's gone might as well start before it starts drying out. Nice tree next to it so they are not losing much there but it's going cost to take it out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  It's gone might as well start before it starts drying out. Nice tree next to it so they are not losing much there but it's going cost to take it out
That tree can survive. As a kid we had a tall oak struck. There was a split was high up in the tree and another that ran from the ground up to about 10 foot up. Tree bark was thrown 50' into and across the road. My dad put pitch on the lower bare spot. That was 50 years ago. That tree is still standing.

eta- That tree healed over the scar in about 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#35]
^
I
I

I had a very close encounter once and it left a lasting impression.
Quit chasing storms afterwards and still get a little nervous these days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Two of my trees were struck by lightning about 15 years ago.
Forgive the old flip-phone pics.

Apple tree in my back yard.

Attachment Attached File

Walnut tree, split right up the middle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad fact: The duration is so short that even if you could capture it at, say 80% efficiency, the total energy is disappointing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely
Lightning hit a big oak tree like that one on a hill just past the property line a number of years ago.   Maybe 1/4 mile from house or more.  But some of the bark actually flew about 50’ away.  Its  in a bad spot to fell it without getting hung up.   But I do need to try and get it down before it gets cut up or chopped up when the gas company installs a new pipeline for a Utica well going in nearby sometime soon.  Will be nice dry firewood.  You can see how it grew so it was twisting.   Not great for woodworking boards.

Attachment Attached File

This was the most violent lightning hit on a tree I’ve found.   Had a black walnut on my property about 100yrds from this oak also get hit around same time +/- a year or two.  And a small pear tree by the garden - maybe 200 yard from the house get it.  It just split that tree trunk wide open, I guess from the water going to super heated steam so fast.  It was maybe 6” dia
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#40]
very timetravelly/clock tower type rig there
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably not, time for neighbor to break out the stihl.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Damn

I was at a park one time, National Park, can't remember, and there was a picture of two guys who kind of reminded me of Bill & Ted from the movie.

Their hair was standing on end and there was a picture of them, they were both killed by lightning a few seconds later.

The family allowed the picture and story to be on a poster for safety.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn

I was at a park one time, National Park, can't remember, and there was a picture of two guys who kind of reminded me of Bill & Ted from the movie.

Their hair was standing on end and there was a picture of them, they were both killed by lightning a few seconds later.

View Quote

They didn’t die

https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/decades-later-hair-raising-photo-still-reminder-lightning-danger-6c10791362
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Damn, got the same storm then. Transformer blew down the street.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Local story from a few days ago. Grenaded this huge Cedar tree.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Back in 1994 I was working as a assistant superintendent on a golf course. We had a strong line of storms coming in and I was out in a cart telling the crew to head in. The storm was moving a hell of alot faster than we had thought.

As I was heading back up the cart path, about 300 yards from the maintenance building, a bolt hit a oak that was about halfway to the building. It blew the top off and split the trunk.

All I saw was a flash of bright red and crack that rang my ears...I drove off the path into a fairway bunker behind a line of trees.

The guys in the maintenance building saw the flash and then I was gone.

They though the bolt vaporized me, when I recovered my senses, I got out of the bunker and returned to the maintenance building.

Needless to say I was a bit rattled and told my boss I was taking the rest of the day off.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Damn

View Quote

Seen that, what ever the cause, there were lots of charges flowing at the high place where they were standing.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had an oak get struck 15’ from my house. The striped bark seam was over 5” wide. That was over ten years ago, still alive and growing.

Incidentally, thunderstorms just rolled through and electricity is off and on for the last hour.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top