Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:40:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_aid_to_Ukraine_during_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War

I know you guys hate Germany with a vegeance, but France is even worse.

Germany:

1,000 Panzerfaust 3 anti-tank weapons on 26 February 2022, breaking a long tradition of banning weapon exports to active warzones.[108][109]
500 Stinger anti-aircraft missile systems, on 26 February 2022[109][110]
2,700 9K32 Strela-2m anti-aircraft missile systems (2,000 usable), on 3 March 2022.[111][112]
5,100 MATADOR anti-tank weapons via Dynamit Nobel[113]
2,000 additional Panzerfaust 3 were announced on 23 March 2022.[114]
100 MG 3 machine guns[110]
5 million 7.62×51mm NATO rounds[110]
3 million 5.56×45mm NATO rounds[110]
14 armored cars[110]
23,000 combat helmets[110]
20,000 protective-vests in 2014[115]
1,300 bullet-proof vests[110]
nightvision devices[110]

€1.83 billion in bilateral aid since 2014[116][117]
approx. €4 billion via the EU in the form of grants and loans since 2014.[116]
€240 million via the EU in loans in 2022.[116]
Loan over 150 million euros via KfW in April 2022.[118]
€425 million via the 'Stand Up For Ukraine' pledging campaign and an additional 70 million for medical aid via the EU[119]

One mobile field hospital worth €5.3 million and associated training of medical staff in February 2022[120]
Evacuating and treating wounded Ukrainian soldiers in Germany since 2014[121][122]
Deutsche Bahn initiated a "railbridge" in March 2022 and began delivering over 10,000 tons of food[123][124]
50 medical transport vehicles[110]
View Quote

+ intelligence support
+ 500k refugees taken
+ undisclosed deliveries
+ another billion € yesterday

France:

President Emmanuel Macron approved:
€100 million[94] worth of defensive weapons and fuel, announced on 26 February 2022.[95][96] Specifics voluntarily kept confidential but include:[97]
Protective equipment
Fuel
MILAN anti-tank missile systems[98]
Munitions
€300 million ($337.56 million), on 25 February 2022.[99]
33 t (32 long tons; 36 short tons) of emergency equipment (tents, medicine, food) delivered on 1 March 2022[100][101]
30 t (30 long tons; 33 short tons) of humanitarian aid through Moldova[100]
2 airplanes full of medicine through Poland[100]
8 t (7.9 long tons; 8.8 short tons) of medical equipment delivered by 2 March 2022[101]
View Quote

But at least the Ukrainians can smoke Marlboros:

Philip Morris InternationalDonated 500,000 packs of cigarettes to the Ukrainian military.[375]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
This is 8 days old, but still a fascinating account of the Russian experience taking Mariupol; describes block by block fighting against a superior equipped Azov:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/u0m4m1/interview_with_the_dpr_spetznas_commander_about
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]

View Quote

I was actually thinking the other day how important getting tobacco would be for morale for the besieged defenders at Azovstal.

There needs to be some sort of 'high density tobacco ration' they can develop for situations like that.

Like 1kg of Rolling Tobacco, pressed at high density (similar to how mexicans pack weed for transport), along with 2000x rolling papers, in a ~ MRE sized package. That single pack could create 2000 cigarettes / 100 packs of cigarettes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hiyaboa:

Ilovaisk similar but on a smaller scale.

The 331st guard’s of the VDV that got wrecked last month was responsible for some of that.  
View Quote

This. Agreed on a withdrawal corridor and had artillery pre sighted on the route. At this point even if the offer from Russian commanders was genuine (unlikely) their command and control and discipline among their troops is so poor they probably couldn't make a safe corridor even if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

I was actually thinking the other day how important getting tobacco would be for morale for the besieged defenders at Azovstal.

There needs to be some sort of 'high density tobacco ration' they can develop for situations like that.

Like 1kg of Rolling Tobacco, pressed at high density (similar to how mexicans pack weed for transport), along with 2000x rolling papers, in a ~ MRE sized package. That single pack could create 2000 cigarettes / 100 packs of cigarettes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
[b]

Smoking causes cancer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Since Russia is trying a land grab, if the lose, they should have to forfeit land. All Russians to be removed and NATO troops installed.

Georgia's boundaries should be expanded westward and the new Ukrainian border shared with them cutting Russia off from the seas.

Russia started it, let them suffer when they lose.
View Quote

It sounds far fetched to our modern ears but this is how it was done for most of human history. It would be best if a containment of Russia could be arranged that didn't rely on the fickle western powers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_aid_to_Ukraine_during_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War

I know you guys hate Germany with a vegeance, but France is even worse.

Germany:

+ intelligence support
+ 500k refugees taken
+ undisclosed deliveries
+ another billion € yesterday

France:

View Quote

Talking to a Bosnian at work about the smokes. He said they were a valuable currency in Sarajevo during the war. and people went too crazy extremes to get them.  He thought that was a brilliant idea by Philip Morris.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By realwar:

SU-57s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDtsYuVNva0
View Quote

That’s two more than they have that are probably flyable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

The USAF was formed on the understanding that strategic bombing is nuclear bombing and that’s true. Conventional bombs are not strategic bombing and have not been able to break the national will or war making capacity. A bomber that doesn’t carry nuclear weapons is by definition not a strategic bomber.
View Quote

I suspect Giulio Douhet, Arthur Harris, and Hap Arnold might have a different definition.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sneedsville:

I'm getting so tired of how locked down every platform is now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sneedsville:

2 angles of a Chechen getting hit.

I'm getting so tired of how locked down every platform is now.

Hey Moe!
Guy in red shoes (maybe he was seen in some other videos?  Unless they’re quite popular with the Chechen goblins), spinning around on the ground like Curley
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:

Smoking causes cancer.
View All Quotes
[b]

Smoking causes cancer.

And so?

Shell fragments and bullets are none too healthy either - and people dealing with that don't tend to worry about long term cancer risks.

Why not help to chip away at the mountain of stress and worry? Nicotine helps a lot of people stay sane in harsh conditions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Naporter:

^^^^

The olive branch in one hand is to distract you from the knife in their other. They've repeatedly violated their own ceasefire agreements, even mining an escape route at one point, and bombing a train station known to be for refugees fleeing the war zone.
View Quote

Apparently, there was also some similar event in 2014 where Ukrainians were offered an out but were killed. I have not looked into it in any detail, just seen references to it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:26:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#13]
At first I was

But Officially I fully approve of giving Russia a taste of it's own medicine and playing word games.

ETA Out of Russia's reach

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:36:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#14]

Not sure if that's Toretsk or Torske.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:
Ok fuckers with the live updating war thread.

How about we talk about the fucking war?

1. How’s the offensive for the future of Ukraine going?

2. Did the rus-com’s really offer Mariupol an avenue to retreat back to friendly lines so long as they leave their rattle can AK’s behind?

Sounds like a good deal to me. Get off the field with a 20x1 K/D ratio and live to fight another day.

Is there anything strategic left to fight Mariupol over at this point?
View Quote

I think strategically it is a huge hindrance to the Russian effort to have an uncontrolled enemy area right in the middle of their advance. Their entire land bridge to Crimea and the river is threatened by having enemy in Mariupol. They have to dedicate alot of resources to security that they otherwise could use in their advances other places. Yes. It is very strategic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

If true that's impressive........
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQuonZeXIAcs5Co?format=jpg&name=medium
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

Azovstal tunnels aren't your average tunnels.
Good there's more to the story.  Hopefully lots of supplies still

If true that's impressive........
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQuonZeXIAcs5Co?format=jpg&name=medium

That would be extreme if true
The mills I’ve worked in have basements and tunnels maybe 3 stories deep but they weren’t connected to other buildings or production lines
Just for hydraulics and other oils, also you will find hidden beds, and some brothels too (but at the US Steel Gary works, they union just used a trailer office for a whorehouse, set up in one of the warehouse /coil shipping bays).    TV reception probably not too good in the tunnels, but don’t discount them running cable down there.

Now I’ve never spent much time in melt shops so maybe they have more extreme basements and tunnels.  

Then again these mills were made by soviets, so they never thought much like the west.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Again, fuck Russia.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Again, fuck Russia.
View Quote

Lol there is nothing to negotiate right now
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

The mills I’ve worked in have basements and tunnels maybe 3 stories deep but they weren’t connected to other buildings or production lines
Just for hydraulics and other oils, also you will find hidden beds, and some brothels too (but at the US Steel Gary works, they union just used a trailer office for a whorehouse, set up in one of the warehouse /coil shipping bays).    TV reception probably not too good in the tunnels, but don’t discount them running cable down there.

Now I’ve never spent much time in melt shops so maybe they have more extreme basements and tunnels.  

Then again these mills were made by soviets, so they never thought much like the west.  
View Quote

They have massive nuclear bunkers under the factories.  

USSR expected balloon to go up and workers get back at it.

Tons of vids on YouTube of urban explorers going into
Fully stocked bunkers under seemingly run down factories.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Since Russia is trying a land grab, if the lose, they should have to forfeit land. All Russians to be removed and NATO troops installed.

Georgia's boundaries should be expanded westward and the new Ukrainian border shared with them cutting Russia off from the seas.

Russia started it, let them suffer when they lose.
View Quote

Yeah. They can sign that treaty in a rail car. What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

And so?

Shell fragments and bullets are none too healthy either - and people dealing with that don't tend to worry about long term cancer risks.

Why not help to chip away at the mountain of stress and worry? Nicotine helps a lot of people stay sane in harsh conditions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Again, fuck Russia.
View Quote

“But a trump wants Ukraine to stop the fighting and negotiate”.

Thisnis why that was always a delay tactic by Russia and a waste of time. They do t care about negotiating,

They want to kill the country of Ukraine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

And so?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/463_zps14d92c11_JPG-106.jpg

I missed it. It's what I get for posting before getting my brain totally in gear.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

So roughly 24 hours for an Eastern European?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Smoking causes cancer.
View All Quotes
[b]

Smoking causes cancer.
And can compromise a position. The unique smell of various tobaccos as well as the thermal signature of a lit cigarette and the potential danger around ordinance should make it a banned substance. Smokeless like snus would be a better option.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dbrad197:

God I miss killing Chechens. Ukraine isn’t my war and I ain’t going, but I did have to have a long internal battle to stay away. The thought of killing more Chechens is intoxicating. Every single Kadryovite life you snuff out is a gift to humanity. The guy on the left in the first video has an especially killable face.
View Quote

Well done!
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CS223:
And can compromise a position. The unique smell of various tobaccos as well as the thermal signature of a lit cigarette and the potential danger around ordinance should make it a banned substance. Smokeless like snus would be a better option.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:
[b]

Smoking causes cancer.
Just send them a bunch of Rip It.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Dip.

Small, compact, durable container, no sniper bait flame required.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#31]

And so?

View All Quotes
[b]

Smoking causes cancer.

And so?

Dude, I smoke cigarettes. It was a joke.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By realwar:

SU-57s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDtsYuVNva0

Are those things rolling with sirens?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

It's pretty mild compared to some facilities I've worked at. Some of the larger ones go down many levels with gaint sump pumps at the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQxNLMuWQAIeBEA?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Well this is going to be really bad for the Ukraine army
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:24:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#35]
Lol, Got permanently banned by Twitter for hoping Putin is hanged for war crimes.

It was inevitable I guess.

It was in response to the news Putin awarded the troops who killed the people in Bucha and was accused of war crimes.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#36]
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Stay strong brother.

Thanks

Thanks.  We take every day we have to better our situation. I am glad the government and military are doing the same here. 50+ days in and we have an advantage of more time to prepare.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 7empest:
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Last I heard we have around 50,000 sitting on the bench, if needed, in our city. Nothing to pass out to arm us. Many of us have made other arrangements to defend our homes and families. Russia's best bet is to drop bombs, artillery, and missiles on us. They don't want to come walking in here.

Stay strong brother.

Thanks

Thanks.  We take every day we have to better our situation. I am glad the government and military are doing the same here. 50+ days in and we have an advantage of more time to prepare.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

I hope all the artillery we are sending gets there soon. they are going to need it quick
View Quote

Artillery, tanks, and aircraft will arrive as soon as the orcs take Odessa.  They can then be used against the defenders.  "Just in time" management at it's finest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

*shrug* My incredibly limited understand of the terms are this:

Strategy: What you have to put on the field.

Tactics: How you choose to use them.

If you have "Strategic" bombers, with nuclear capability, and choose to arm them with conventional weapons, you're using tactics. Will you opponent be deterred by your tactics? Probably not, unless you re-arm them strategically.

At what point do you abandon tactics for strategy?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kagetora:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

The term predates nuclear weapons and the USAF by several decades.

Correct, strategic bombing is bombing that can break the enemies ability or will to wage war. Douhet couldn’t have known it then but that kind of effect can’t be obtained by conventional weapons alone. No conventional bombing is strategic. Except Madrid in 2003 but that’s an edge case, those people were defeated before the war started.

*shrug* My incredibly limited understand of the terms are this:

Strategy: What you have to put on the field.

Tactics: How you choose to use them.

If you have "Strategic" bombers, with nuclear capability, and choose to arm them with conventional weapons, you're using tactics. Will you opponent be deterred by your tactics? Probably not, unless you re-arm them strategically.

At what point do you abandon tactics for strategy?

How about start a thread to discuss the intricacies somewhere else so I can read updates without washing through dozens of "muh strategic=nukes" crap?

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Krater:

Just send 50 Level III plates to Ukraine via UnitedHelpUkraine.org.  Got a bunch of miscellaneous field gear going out next week. Hopefully it will make it's way to the somebody who needs it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Krater:
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Last I heard we have around 50,000 sitting on the bench, if needed, in our city. Nothing to pass out to arm us. Many of us have made other arrangements to defend our homes and families. Russia's best bet is to drop bombs, artillery, and missiles on us. They don't want to come walking in here.

Just send 50 Level III plates to Ukraine via UnitedHelpUkraine.org.  Got a bunch of miscellaneous field gear going out next week. Hopefully it will make it's way to the somebody who needs it.

Thank you. Everything adds up and helps. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQxNLMuWQAIeBEA?format=jpg&name=medium

The initial push was going to be tough.

Russia is going to put some hurt on Ukraine but it’s important that Ukraine doesn’t break. They will bend under the Russian weight. They have to be ready for the opportunity to hit back after the big initial punch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By grambosc:
Anyone else notice we have been keeping 2 of these big birds in the air lately, instead of just one at any given time?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481717/Screenshot_20220419-202417_Brave_jpg-2355047.JPG
View Quote

What did it used to be called, “chrome dome”?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#42]

What did it used to be called, “chrome dome”?
View Quote

Yup

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chrome_Dome
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenMushroom] [#43]

View Quote

The arrows are just what the Russians are trying to accomplish and don't represent any kind of control. Be a shame if that salient driving south out of Izyum got sliced off

Eta map in question. Also keep in mind none of these maps are any kind of official.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

Artillery, tanks, and aircraft will arrive as soon as the orcs take Odessa.  They can then be used against the defenders.  "Just in time" management at it's finest.
View Quote

And the Germans will finally approve sending 50 Leopard-I Panzers and they will arrive on May 1-----------------------2025
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By M-1975:

View Quote
That first tic toc video left a lasting mark
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I know this is the war thread, but I haven't read anything about the "devastating" sanctions imposed on Russia and what their economy and common life is like right now over there?  I'd guess that maybe it needs another 1-2 months of marinating to fully destroy their economy but who knows?  I know they were sitting on a ton of gold in preparation for a situation like this
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:

And the Germans will finally approve sending 50 Leopard-I Panzers and they will arrive on May 1-----------------------2025
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

Without engines, ammo, or tracks.

Had to sell them or scrap them for money.

How else would they pay for universal basic income for the military age Arab male influx? They aren’t heartless you know.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By car_wash_guy:
I know this is the war thread, but I haven't read anything about the "devastating" sanctions imposed on Russia and what their economy and common life is like right now over there?  I'd guess that maybe it needs another 1-2 months of marinating to fully destroy their economy but who knows?  I know they were sitting on a ton of gold in preparation for a situation like this
View Quote

Yep. It won’t be bad enough for a while but will come. Russia was hoping to get this done quick like Crimea and the rest of the world not have the stomach to keep sanctions going….like Germany or other countries. It looks like the hurt down the road is inevitable for Russia due to their actions. It’s going to take a little while though as they use up a lot of resources, parts, etc. that was already in country,
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By kncook:
Lol, Got permanently banned by Twitter for hoping Putin is hanged for war crimes.

It was inevitable I guess.

It was in response to the news Putin awarded the troops who killed the people in Bucha and was accused of war crimes.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/97971/F164389D-2AA1-4363-A8FC-FB022AA82F8C_jpe-2355418.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/97971/F7DFF8FF-C08A-4FFA-A70E-7F4DA1504711_png-2355419.JPG
View Quote

Spike Jones could never have survived Twitter, what with directly targeting a leader's face and all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Talked to a Ukranian lady I know in the community and she said along with her husband and friends that a majority of Russians in Oregon listen to Russian propaganda and follow the RT news source.

The war is good and we need to support our president.

Wtf are they even fuckrn here in the US.

😑
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5590
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top