Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Element94:

God look at how black that soil is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Would love to garden in that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Kind of on a related theme to the Kasparov quote. I don't know the author so can't speak to his credentials or biases, RCD is just a good place to go when you want to see what the defense press and think tank crowd is writing about at the moment.

What Ukraine Needs Now

Even if one argues that the negotiations between the belligerents are, despite difficulties, making progress, it is clear from the historical record that Putin and Moscow regard such agreements, as did Germany in 1914, as mere "scraps of paper" to be broken expedient once it becomes to do so. We must therefore realize and then act accordingly that it does not serve Ukraine's or the West's interests. that this war "ends' with an inconclusive agreement that merely sets the stage for another round of hostilities. Instead, to prevent that kind of denouement, i.e. an endgame comparable to that of the Korean war or to other frozen conflicts in Eurasia that, as often as not, erupt into war, e.g., Nagorno-Karabakh, we must flood Ukraine with the weapons and technologies it needs to defeat Russia decisively and comprehensively.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

View Quote

I've heard the region has some of the best soil in the world. What we have where I am is a bunch of red clay.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I've heard the region has some of the best soil in the world. What we have where I am is a bunch of red clay.
View Quote

Yeah, but look at all the rocks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Interesting thing about MIRVs is it looks like the US have up all MIRVs on ICBMs (but kept them on the trident SLBMs), while the Russians didn’t give up MIRVs on their ICBMs.  
Great deal by GHWBush!  not
View Quote

OP that you quoted is correct about mirvs, but totally incorrect that they are unstoppable. It really all depends on what counter-measures they deploy and how well our defenses perform, but we definitely have them. Given the state we've seen of the rest of Russia's military, it's doubtful that many, if any, of their ICBM were ever retrofitted with counter-measures to defeat missile defenses.

If were just talking a terminal intercept, our defenses could probably be counted on for a 40-50% intercept rate. Not amazing, but something is something, and certainly better than our enemies kill rate.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

Yeah, but look at all the rocks.
View Quote

If I were a farmer in Ukraine these days, I would be much more concerned about UXO and whatever you call that non-'splodey junk that gets ejected by rockets, missiles, bombs, and sub-munitions while it is in the process of deploying.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Interesting thing about MIRVs is it looks like the US have up all MIRVs on ICBMs (but kept them on the trident SLBMs), while the Russians didn’t give up MIRVs on their ICBMs.  
Great deal by GHWBush!  not
View Quote

A single warhead that works is better than 7 that do not.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]

They need to do both. And a fallout shelter can be built in a basement.

You can't eat if you are dying of radiation sickness.
View Quote

If nukes fly, them that die be the lucky ones.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Perfect for growing a great crop of sunflowers!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Ukraine needs to avoid a Khasavyurt trap that is simply biding time to regroup.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khasavyurt_Accord

I think Zelensky is smart enough to avoid it but the problem is that Western Europe and the US cannot be any guarantors of security because they have already shown themselves cowed. I believe the only solution is an Intermarium alliance -barring Serbia and Hungary- that is nuclear armed. That is quite a radical and frankly unrealistic thing to ask for but I see few other alternatives.

Regime change in Russia would mean little without massive social change. As much as many in the west love Navalny,for example,he’s really just a rival motivated by the same,he’s just another ethno-narionalist when rubber meets road.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

So, just like the US population then.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waldo:
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Also keep in mind that the Russian population gets nothing but propaganda fed to them 24/7.

So, just like the US population then.

But we get to find the propaganda we like
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#12]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

To be fair: We're in this thread being happy about Russians getting killed so I don't know why that would surprise you. Also keep in mind that the Russian population gets nothing but propaganda fed to them 24/7.
View Quote

Russians who have invaded another nation and are committing war crimes do need for die. They very,very,very much need to die.
This is a long,long,long,long way from what the Russians are wanting Kadyrov to do to Ukrainians.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rca2222:

At most we would send a similar warhead to a military target. It seems unlikely that we would respond by nuking a population center.

If Kiev was hit with a small nuclear weapon today, and the response was completely up to you, what would you do?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

Does anyone actually think that the western nuclear powers would say "Kiev just got nuked, we have no choice but to destroy the entire world with a total nuclear response"?

Like others have said, the most likely outcome would be a total conventional response in Ukraine.

Yeah that isn't really a deterrent or even a response in kind. I that case Russia gets to nuke whatever and only suffer a few losses.

At most we would send a similar warhead to a military target. It seems unlikely that we would respond by nuking a population center.

If Kiev was hit with a small nuclear weapon today, and the response was completely up to you, what would you do?

A bunker in the Urals would disappear.

FIGHT, Ukraine!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally !

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#17]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Kind of on a related theme to the Kasparov quote. I don't know the author so can't speak to his credentials or biases, RCD is just a good place to go when you want to see what the defense press and think tank crowd is writing about at the moment.

What Ukraine Needs Now

Even if one argues that the negotiations between the belligerents are, despite difficulties, making progress, it is clear from the historical record that Putin and Moscow regard such agreements, as did Germany in 1914, as mere "scraps of paper" to be broken expedient once it becomes to do so. We must therefore realize and then act accordingly that it does not serve Ukraine's or the West's interests. that this war "ends' with an inconclusive agreement that merely sets the stage for another round of hostilities. Instead, to prevent that kind of denouement, i.e. an endgame comparable to that of the Korean war or to other frozen conflicts in Eurasia that, as often as not, erupt into war, e.g., Nagorno-Karabakh, we must flood Ukraine with the weapons and technologies it needs to defeat Russia decisively and comprehensively.
View Quote

Completely agree. I can appreciate Z wanting to save lives but in reality he'll likely just be trading them for even more lives in the future. I doubt the rest of the world will be willing to provide similar support in terms of weapons and sanctions for round 2. JMO but finish it now or accept that your sovereignty is on the clock.

ETA Or that Ukrainians would be willing to go through all this again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Oiparhon:
https://www.dw.com/en/russia-pledges-to-scale-down-military-activity-near-kyiv-chernihiv-live-updates/a-61286047
Russia-Ukraine talks conclude in Istanbul
Ukrainian and Russian negotiators concluded face-to-face peace talks in Istanbul on Tuesday, with the Ukrainian side saying that there have been enough developments to have a meeting between the presidents of the two countries.

Russia said the talks were "constructive," raising hopes that there could be progress toward ending the war.

However, Russian top negotiator Medinsky said a meeting between Putin and Zelenskyy is possible only if a deal has been approved by the foreign ministries of both countries.

Following the talks, Ukrainian negotiators told reporters that Kyiv would agree to a neutral status if a security guarantee system is put in place. They said, under the new system, Israel, Poland, Canada and Turkey could be among Ukraine’s security guarantors.

The neutral status would include not hosting any foreign military bases on Ukrainian territory.

There needs to be full peace across Ukraine for any final agreement with Russia to come into force, the Ukrainian side stressed, adding that a referendum would be needed in Ukraine on the terms of any final deal.

They also proposed holding consultations with Russia on the status of Crimea.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1508786985825144833?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1508786985825144833%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dw.com%2Fen%2Frussia-pledges-to-scale-down-military-activity-near-kyiv-chernihiv-live-updates%2Fa-61286047[/tweet]
View Quote

So a mutual defense pact between Ukraine, Israel, Poland, Canada and Turkey?  Didn’t see that coming.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

Ukraine has some of the most fertile soil on Earth, and one of the best climates in Europe.

Imagine having soil like that, but still having famine, as they did in the 1930s...

By rights, they should be one of the richest, most prosperous countries in Europe.  

Fuckin' commies though.

View All Quotes

Ukraine has some of the most fertile soil on Earth, and one of the best climates in Europe.

Imagine having soil like that, but still having famine, as they did in the 1930s...

By rights, they should be one of the richest, most prosperous countries in Europe.  

Fuckin' commies though.

Famines happen because of politics.

Mass Starvation as a Political Weapon

"Famine is a very specific political product of the way in which societies are run, wars are fought, governments are managed. The single overwhelming element in causation—in three-quarters of the famines and three-quarters of the famine deaths—is political agency. Yet we still tend to be gripped by this idea that famine is a natural calamity."
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Re-posting the recent Kasparov tweet, because he is exactly correct (thanks to whoever posted it earlier).

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1508545477234597891.html

Concern about Biden's statement about Putin not remaining in power is overblown. The real worry is his admin is not clear on what it hopes to achieve in supporting Ukraine. Without US leadership, the EU, NATO, and the rest will lose their nerve at the first opportunity. 1/13

Ambiguity is tactically useful, strategically disastrous. If a dictator is uncertain of your commitment and your goals, the chance of catastrophe rises. If you backtrack on simple statements, what else might you backtrack on? Sanctions? Treaty obligations? 2/13

Supporting Ukraine 100%, as Biden says he does, means giving them what they need and doing what needs to be done to enable Ukraine to win this war, not simply survive until Putin consolidates his occupation grip, commits more war crimes, & reloads for next time. 3/13

Putin cannot be confident he will win, but he assumes he can take a draw at any time, that the West will pressure Ukraine to accept his terms, as they have so many times before. They always want to talk. They always want his gas & oil, to offer sanctions relief. 4/13

Nations supporting Ukraine are giving comfort to Putin and conceding leverage by failing to state their aims. Is Ukraine to be free, intact & independent? So say sanctions are permanent and will increase as long as Ukrainian territory is occupied, including Crimea. 5/13

Is the West going to isolate war criminal Putin for bombing cities full of civilians into the ground, killing tens of thousands? Or is he still welcome at the table for the Iran deal, to sell energy, to negotiate for the country he has taken hostage? 6/13

Putin will see no reason to cease this destruction as long as his power in Russia is not threatened. He must feel that pressure to affect his decision-making. A decade of being diplomatic & failing to listen to Putin's own words is how we got to this tragic point. 7/13

It's not what Putin does when cornered that is worrying, it's what he does when he feels immune, when he is sure consequences can be avoided or weakened. It's a contagious feeling that runs down through his command structure in the military. Shake that confidence. 8/13

Dictators operate on fear. Putin has always appealed to the "everyone is afraid of us again" nostalgia element in Russia. Worse, he now believes it and the rest of the world has gone along instead of standing up to him. Shouldn't he be afraid instead? 9/13

Take away Putin's safety nets. He, his generals and commanders, his mafia, and ordinary Russians have to envision the end of Putin's rule. It should be clear to any admiral who fires WMD that they will die. His oligarchs must know they will never leave Russia. 10/13

Companies and nations still doing business with Putin's rogue state cannot have it both ways. That time is over, at long last. It is a time to pick a side. Those who do not renounce Putin & Russia are not diplomats, they are corrupt cowards. 11/13

This war will shape the world's direction for a generation and beyond, for good or ill. This is a fight for the values the free world supposedly holds dear. We need moral and strategic unity and clarity, not backtracking. 12/13

Ukraine needs weapons to win, not words of support and a partition stalemate. Ukraine deserves to know we are doing everything we can, not everything that Putin allows. Ukraine deserves to be whole, to be free, and to achieve victory. Glory to Ukraine. 13/13

JMHO, but Kasparov is 100% correct. As long as the economic and military/intel leaders of Russia under Putin fear him more than they fear consequences from the rest of the world, that will shape their choices in favor of doing what Putin demands.

We need all of those dudes, right down to the front line junior and mid-grade officers who receive launch commands, to worry more about being wiped out, rather than catching a bullet from the next level of Putin thug above them.

The people with something to lose (up to the oligarch level) need to be more certain that they will lose everything if they obey Putin, rather than the other way around. If that feeling doesn't permeate throughout the hierarchy, then Putin will always remain in control.

ETA: Funny, we didn't need a chess grand master to explain this to us, but apparently the Biden admin needs to be reading more Tweets so they can have a coherent and credible foreign policy. Maybe Kasparov can make a catchy TikTok, and hope he gets invited to the White House?

View Quote

this

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:
Ok, fair enough you don't want an opinion. I'm paid for my opinions on this conflict, but I won't post them here anymore.
View Quote
It's silly to say we should ignore everything that shows successful operations by Russia (like those laser-guided artillery hits I've seen a few of), but we're going to cheerfully accept all the Euromaidan tweets. There's BS on both sides, and it would be unfortunate for this thread to be an echo chamber. Let's call out BS for BS, but let's see the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
And the Soviet Spetznaz were some wonder solders, in it's day totaled possibly 70,000

The Wagner Group has a lot of Russian Spetznaz.

Today the Russian Spetznaz has lost its capability and the Wagner Group isn't much more
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Originally Posted By NEXT23:
Wagner Group is supposed to be Putins actual Secret Service.
And the Soviet Spetznaz were some wonder solders, in it's day totaled possibly 70,000

The Wagner Group has a lot of Russian Spetznaz.

Today the Russian Spetznaz has lost its capability and the Wagner Group isn't much more

There's a few reports that wagner grabs kids off the street promises them easy money gives them a few weeks training and tosses them into combat.  Not really a group of hardened experienced mercenaries, more likely a group putin can use to do nasty things for economic gain and deny governmental responsibility.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:

Openly admitting it means a lie.

They may pull out, then ua moves their troops elsewhere, and Belarus invades.

Or they keep enough there to tie up ua forces while flooding the se
View Quote

Probably. Don't believe anything until it's officially denied.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]

The Ukrainians should not accept anything less than Russia behind their pre-2014 borders, and really in an ideal world, Khodorkovsky's "7D" plan, but sadly that's unrealistic to ask, because Europe and the US would rather cave to a dictator to save their own skins and keep the gas flowing.

If Russia gets to retain Crimea, and Donetsk and Luhansk, all this will do is postpone WWIII, and create a NV/RVN or DPRK/ROK situation that merely sets the conditions for when WWIII finally does kick off.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oiparhon:
https://www.dw.com/en/russia-pledges-to-scale-down-military-activity-near-kyiv-chernihiv-live-updates/a-61286047
Russia-Ukraine talks conclude in Istanbul
Ukrainian and Russian negotiators concluded face-to-face peace talks in Istanbul on Tuesday, with the Ukrainian side saying that there have been enough developments to have a meeting between the presidents of the two countries.

Russia said the talks were "constructive," raising hopes that there could be progress toward ending the war.

However, Russian top negotiator Medinsky said a meeting between Putin and Zelenskyy is possible only if a deal has been approved by the foreign ministries of both countries.

Following the talks, Ukrainian negotiators told reporters that Kyiv would agree to a neutral status if a security guarantee system is put in place. They said, under the new system, Israel, Poland, Canada and Turkey could be among Ukraine’s security guarantors.

The neutral status would include not hosting any foreign military bases on Ukrainian territory.

There needs to be full peace across Ukraine for any final agreement with Russia to come into force, the Ukrainian side stressed, adding that a referendum would be needed in Ukraine on the terms of any final deal.

They also proposed holding consultations with Russia on the status of Crimea.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1508786985825144833?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1508786985825144833%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dw.com%2Fen%2Frussia-pledges-to-scale-down-military-activity-near-kyiv-chernihiv-live-updates%2Fa-61286047[/tweet]

The Ukrainians should not accept anything less than Russia behind their pre-2014 borders, and really in an ideal world, Khodorkovsky's "7D" plan, but sadly that's unrealistic to ask, because Europe and the US would rather cave to a dictator to save their own skins and keep the gas flowing.

If Russia gets to retain Crimea, and Donetsk and Luhansk, all this will do is postpone WWIII, and create a NV/RVN or DPRK/ROK situation that merely sets the conditions for when WWIII finally does kick off.

It also postpones thing until we “may” have more competent leadership here in the US to take charge of the situation, as well as age out Putin and his core people more.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Breaking the power of academia needs to be a top right wing priority.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

As a self-hating academic, I do not disagree … especially since I personally know a number of Harvard faculty.  

Giving authority or power to academics is a terrible idea.  Like, a really terrible idea.

....from you that statement is pure irony
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FrankyRay:

"Famine is a very specific political product of the way in which societies are run, wars are fought, governments are managed. The single overwhelming element in causation—in three-quarters of the famines and three-quarters of the famine deaths—is political agency. Yet we still tend to be gripped by this idea that famine is a natural calamity."
View All Quotes

Fuckin' commies though.

From my experience in Zakarpattia, the soil has been consistently good for many things.....

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

As a self-hating academic, I do not disagree … especially since I personally know a number of Harvard faculty.  

Giving authority or power to academics is a terrible idea.  Like, a really terrible idea.

I’m annoyed at all of the people who think they are in the right because they are reactionaries who stopped voting for democrats after they voted for Carter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Same. This admin should have long issued a warning that using a tactical nuke would result in the elimination of all Russian units outside of their internationally recognized borders. Unless maybe they want Russia thinking there would be a nuclear response. Though in that case I'm not sure the deterrence is as effective due to it being unsaid and the doubt the West has the stomach for it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aswrg7:

If Russia pops off a tactical nuke, I expect that NATO will hammer them with conventional forces.  Although, that could lead to Russia popping off more nukes, so IDK.....

Same. This admin should have long issued a warning that using a tactical nuke would result in the elimination of all Russian units outside of their internationally recognized borders. Unless maybe they want Russia thinking there would be a nuclear response. Though in that case I'm not sure the deterrence is as effective due to it being unsaid and the doubt the West has the stomach for it.

I would think we have had conversations with Putin and some of his staff about consequences for certain actions early in the conflict.  Intel assets are probably being used to communicate as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm guessing this is related to the spy list released

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
IMO I see that there is no actual negotiation.

The very premmise does not make sense seeing the underlying ideas of Putin, his earlier lies, current actions ect.

That's the shitty cards on the table for everybody and Ukraine simply has no choice but to keep breaking Russian shit.

View Quote

Unless it was rigged from the start.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

I would think we have had conversations with Putin and some of his staff about consequences for certain actions early in the conflict.  Intel assets are probably being used to communicate as well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
Originally Posted By aswrg7:

If Russia pops off a tactical nuke, I expect that NATO will hammer them with conventional forces.  Although, that could lead to Russia popping off more nukes, so IDK.....

I would hope but I'm not taking anything for granted with these people. I thought for sure that all these sanctions would be coupled with a huge information campaign to get the truth to the Russian people. Beyond a few hours a day of shortwave, it's basically been crickets. Huge blunder, IMO.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Fuckin' commies though.

I bet those in the west that supported Rhodesian and South African communists are starting to realize how much they fucked up.  Both those countries were net exporters of food at one time.  Way to go Carter and Thatcher among others.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
Heard on the radio that Russia is pulling their forces out of the Kiev area and moving them to Donbass to fight for that property.

IOW, they are getting their asses kicked and are beating feet.
View Quote

Or getting them out of the way of NBC.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sq40:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
Heard on the radio that Russia is pulling their forces out of the Kiev area and moving them to Donbass to fight for that property.

IOW, they are getting their asses kicked and are beating feet.

I had that thought, but if they are going to do that, why not just hit a place with a lot of Ukrainian forces and no Russians?
It's not like they are hurting for useful targets.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Right? I grew up around the Mississippi delta and I'm not sure I've ever seen it that black.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Russians are showing off the dead Azov battalion fighters in Mariupol, piles and piles of dead bodies.

They are using techniques they developed in Syria to clear the surrounding towns and industrial areas, who would have thought we are seeing tactics that worked in Aleppo, in Europe, in 2022...

The best weapons we could send to Ukraine now would be anti-drone systems, the Russians are just picking armor off using the Krasnopol 152mm guided artillery and their relatively cheap drones. I've counted at least 50 videos in the past few days. It's not on any western media because it's not part of the narrative, but this will have caused Nato a lot of worries because if you are within range and the drone spots you, you are a target.
View Quote

I would think drones should be easy to target because any worthwhile drone is going to transmit.  It's just that it's low tech and not profitable enough for our military industry to address.

They're probably trying to figure out how to put that on a multi-ten's of million dollar platform.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Or pulling them back for a NBC attack on Kiev and maybe a few other cities like Odessa. I think that's far more likely and announcing it is an attempt to lure Kiev into a false sense of relief, reduce their ability & inclination to prepare and to inflict the most casualties. Putin has no intention of reaching a truce, none. He's all out of fucks to give, his county is on its way to total ruin, there's no turning back now, burn it all to the ground and take his place in history with the same immortality as Hitler and the same monuments to his brutally as Auschwitz.
View Quote
Hell will break loose if they do an actually NBC attack that blame cannot be deflected enough that Germany, France, Netherlands, and Belgium can doubt and cast that doubt in the NATO security council.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TylerF] [#39]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Igor19840405/status/1508818088489328642?s=20&[/tweet]

Russian troops pull back from Chernihiv.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1508793606261420036?ref_src=twsrc[/tweet]

VDV pulling back into Belarus
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

True.

Everyone building bunkers would be better served spending the money to develop a food plot and long term storage. Can't eat a geiger counter.

What is this basement thing you call?   Texas normally does not have basements....so canned sunshine for all here
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Russians are showing off the dead Azov battalion fighters in Mariupol, piles and piles of dead bodies.

They are using techniques they developed in Syria to clear the surrounding towns and industrial areas, who would have thought we are seeing tactics that worked in Aleppo, in Europe, in 2022...

The best weapons we could send to Ukraine now would be anti-drone systems, the Russians are just picking armor off using the Krasnopol 152mm guided artillery and their relatively cheap drones. I've counted at least 50 videos in the past few days. It's not on any western media because it's not part of the narrative, but this will have caused Nato a lot of worries because if you are within range and the drone spots you, you are a target.
View Quote

Great (but sad) update, thank you.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

True.

Everyone building bunkers would be better served spending the money to develop a food plot and long term storage. Can't eat a geiger counter.

Too bad basements aren't a thing in most of the south.

Stick built slab homes aren't going to offer much protection.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Completely agree. I can appreciate Z wanting to save lives but in reality he'll likely just be trading them for even more lives in the future. I doubt the rest of the world will be willing to provide similar support in terms of weapons and sanctions for round 2. JMO but finish it now or accept that your sovereignty is on the clock.

ETA Or that Ukrainians would be willing to go through all this again.
View Quote

I do agree with that premise, but I'm waiting for the European NATO countries with more military teeth to step up.  It's their region, and they need to take the lead.  Surprisingly, there's nothing in the media about this.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Hell will break loose if they do an actually NBC attack that blame cannot be deflected enough that Germany, France, Netherlands, and Belgium can doubt and cast that doubt in the NATO security council.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Originally Posted By CS223:
Or pulling them back for a NBC attack on Kiev and maybe a few other cities like Odessa. I think that's far more likely and announcing it is an attempt to lure Kiev into a false sense of relief, reduce their ability & inclination to prepare and to inflict the most casualties. Putin has no intention of reaching a truce, none. He's all out of fucks to give, his county is on its way to total ruin, there's no turning back now, burn it all to the ground and take his place in history with the same immortality as Hitler and the same monuments to his brutally as Auschwitz.

Of all of those what can they do?  Germany flat out admitted it's armed forces are useless.  

France can project some force.  

Belgium and Netherlands no offense are too small to have much of an impact.  

How Poland would react would be interesting...
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

It's silly to say we should ignore everything that shows successful operations by Russia (like those laser-guided artillery hits I've seen a few of), but we're going to cheerfully accept all the Euromaidan tweets. There's BS on both sides, and it would be unfortunate for this thread to be an echo chamber. Let's call out BS for BS, but let's see the good, the bad, and the ugly.
View Quote

I agree. I don't like seeing the ugly, but ignoring or dismissing it because we don't like the reality it shows, is a form of denial.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#46]

we kinda chuckled at bidens comments about the tanks having to move while the ground was frozen...
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#47]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPA7AhYVIAErhY2?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Looks like a view from ARMA II.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I hope Russia isn't pulling back from Kyiv so they can use a WMD.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Day 34: Debunking Russian Fakes
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Interesting the story is about a 152mm guided projectile, but they open with photo of a D30 122mm howitzer.  There is a 122mm guided shell also called the Kitolov, I am sure some of the attacks being conducted are being done with that round also.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5590
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top