Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2022 9:18:19 PM EDT
So what is the rule/law regarding this?

I mean let’s say you’re hiking in the woods and walking through some thickets, and come across a half buried old hunting rifle under some thickets, or something.

Do you get to keep it? Do you turn it over to police?

I imagine that there is always the potential that it was used in a crime, so contacting the police might not be a bad idea. But if it wasn’t, they will probably still confiscate or destroy it, just as a matter of policy.

Another route to go would be to try to trace the serial number and contact the owner, in case it’s a lost firearm.

But say that turns into a dead end. Original owner died years ago, no NOK. Do you get to keep it?

I just read an article today about a Florida man who pulled two sniper rifles out of the river while “magnet fishing” with his grandson. Apparently that’s a thing. The guy was former military and knew what they were. He took them home, cleaned them up, discovered that the serial numbers were ground off. So ofcourse then he contacted the police because ground off serial numbers are a very bad sign.

I once had an old neighbor who discovered a WW2 Arisaka rifle in an attic when he moved into a new house. He was into shooting and military rifles, so he knew what it was. He kept it. (ETA: He has since passed away).

Obviously if you find a glock or hi-point pistol on a street corner in the hood, or some place like that. It’s proabably stolen, or was used in a crime. Probably want to inform the police. But there are situations outside of that one, kind of like the ones I described.

What are the formal legal responsibilities one has, if having found something?
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Stfu
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep right on walking, found guns or drugs are always someone's problem.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You are way overthinking this shit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That old thing? Been in the family since I can remember.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Why does everyone think a random gun is traceable to a crime?

N.B. Never invite the man into your life.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
You are way overthinking this shit.
View Quote

Overthinking it is kinda the point of this thread. It’s supposed to be an interesting hypothetical.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#8]
An Arisaka in an attic I would think would be a safe bet to keep.  Two Barrets with serial numbers ground off are trouble.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]
STFU
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because of the stereotype of the criminal dumping the gun somewhere after using it in a crime.

Otherwise, how often do people lose guns, unless stolen? I find it like losing one’s pants, while out for the day.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
STFU
View Quote

I moved. Neighbor has since passed away. This is a hypothetical.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I hardly ever report any machine guns that I find.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I mean let’s say you’re hiking in the woods and walking through some thickets, and come across a half buried old hunting rifle under some thickets, or something.

View Quote

Sure be a lot of "thickets" up in this mother fucker!

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I just want to know what the legal requirements are for someone who finds something.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#15]
What gun, I did not find any gun?
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just want to know what the legal requirements are for someone who finds something.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Googled it. Depending on jurisdiction, apparently if it’s not reported lost, stolen, or used in a crime. It’s legal to keep, provided you are not a prohibited person. Local laws apply.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because of the stereotype of the criminal dumping the gun somewhere after using it in a crime.

Otherwise, how often do people lose guns, unless stolen? I find it like losing one’s pants, while out for the day.
View Quote

Left it on top of their car.

Edit: Or in a toilet stall.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a New York statute that says all found guns belong to Aimless.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is a New York statute that says all found guns belong to Aimless.....
View Quote

Nah, that bird wised up. He's either already flew the coup with the wife to Utah or they're soon to be
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Greetings fellow firearms enthusiast
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Llewelyn Moss found some guns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]
What gun? I never found shit. That's the proper way to handle it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]
You should write the ATF a letter and ask.  Please report their response.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#26]
There are at least 600 million plus firearms in this country, so finding one does not likely mean it was used in a crime.  I would keep it, sell it or trade it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#27]
What gun?
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn’t do him any good though, did it?

He never even fired any of them. Well, maybe the pistol to shoot the dog.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Turn it in to the local law.  If nobody claims it in x amount of days, it's yours.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#30]
If I were restoring a WWII era tank and found that the fuel tank was full of gold bars
I would

A: call the authorities immediately
B: try to locate the original owners
C: keep it and keep my fucking mouth shut

C is the correct answer..
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

duck hunters and pick up trucks with the plastic bed liners.  Numerous times they leave cased shotguns lying by the water’s edge while the load the canoe or boat tie it down and leave.  or because the tailgate is down the gun in a hard plastic gun case slides right out as they accelerate out of the lot.  It’s like the plastic bed liners and plastic gun cases have a magnetic repulsion.

I hate plastic bed liners,....I nearly blew out my tailgate picking up a beer keg for KPD at SU.   I didn’t have a tie down in the truck as I was not expecting that trip.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:11:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I found an old single-shot .22 when I was a kid. I was walking along the highway between my grandparents’ house and my parents’ place and saw it laying just in the grass by the edge of the asphalt. It wasn’t rusty, so it hadn’t been out there long. The stock as broken almost in two pieces, and the trigger guard had been replaced with an old silver spoon bent into shape.

I took it home and whittle a new stock for it using an M1 carbine as a rough pattern. It turned out fine, and I re-used the spoon trigger guard.

At some point in high school, I traded it to a buddy toward a Marlin 39A.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Last year I was about to leave town on a road trip and went inside one last time to get a rifle and some mags and found my dog vhewing on something in ghe back yard while looking out the window.  We live in the city and there was an 8 ft tall fence around the backyard, a few rental houses behind us on another street.  Looking closely he was chewing on a glock 27.  I snatched it from him and noticed it was missing the magazine and the lower was viewed all to hell and slobber all over the slide.

I reported it because I figured some kids might have done a burglary and freaked out when maybe almost caught or something and threw it over my fence.  Dispatch told me it wasn't stolen (at least yet) and I never followed up with it after the patrolman came and took it.  Later we did find a magazine spring and 4 of those Hornady red polymer tipped hollow points in the yard.

I will try and find some pics I took.

The other reason I didn't keep it was because it was a .40
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#34]
When I worked for the US Forest Service I found a rifle leaned up against a tree that was heavily rusted/pitted. I couldn't get the bolt open. Someone likely hunting leaned it against a tree and walked off and forgot where they left it. It's still there I guess.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

duck hunters and pick up trucks with the plastic bed liners.  Numerous times they leave cased shotguns lying by the water's edge while the load the canoe or boat tie it down and leave.  or because the tailgate is down the gun in a hard plastic gun case slides right out as they accelerate out of the lot.  It's like the plastic bed liners and plastic gun cases have a magnetic repulsion.

I hate plastic bed liners,....I nearly blew out my tailgate picking up a beer keg for KPD at SU.   I didn't have a tie down in the truck as I was not expecting that trip.
View Quote
Friend and I were duck hunting out of my boat and used a small dirt road to launch from. We hunted and loaded up the boat and came home about an hour away. Soon as I took my gun out of the truck he said "I left my gun laying on the ground when we loaded up". Drove back and hour and it was still there. Really surprised someone didn't notice as there were other hunters. But he laid it down near the trees.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So what is the rule/law regarding this?

Do you get to keep it? Do you turn it over to police?

I imagine that there is always the potential that it was used in a crime, so contacting the police might not be a bad idea. But if it wasn’t, they will probably still confiscate or destroy it, just as a matter of policy.

Another route to go would be to try to trace the serial number and contact the owner, in case it’s a lost firearm.

But say that turns into a dead end. Original owner died years ago, no NOK. Do you get to keep it?

I just read an article today about a Florida man who pulled two sniper rifles out of the river while “magnet fishing” with his grandson. Apparently that’s a thing. The guy was former military and knew what they were. He took them home, cleaned them up, discovered that the serial numbers were ground off. So ofcourse then he contacted the police because ground off serial numbers are a very bad sign.

I once had an old neighbor who discovered a WW2 Arisaka rifle in an attic when he moved into a new house. He was into shooting and military rifles, so he knew what it was. He kept it. (ETA: He has since passed away).

Obviously if you find a glock or hi-point pistol on a street corner in the hood, or some place like that. It’s proabably stolen, or was used in a crime. Probably want to inform the police. But there are situations outside of that one, kind of like the ones I described.

What are the formal legal responsibilities one has, if having found something?
View Quote

For me to keep a firearm I found while out hiking it would have to something pretty unique, interesting or valuable.

If it didn't meet any of the above criteria I'd keep on walking.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

“Baby, at what point would you stop looking for your 2 million dollars????”
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

N.B. Never invite the man into your life.
View Quote
Because it's got DNA on it, and there was DNA samples collected at the crime scene, man, so they can match the two DNA samples because all you have to do is run the two DNA samples through the DNA computer to get a DNA match because that's how DNA works. D. N. A.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I never find cool stuff.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#40]
not today Mr. ATFMAN....not today

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Keep it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I would secure a weapon if found and turn it over to police. Not worth the potential trouble.
Mainly only picking it up so kids don’t find it and a tragedy occurs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#43]
The first rule about finding guns is that you don't talk about finding guns...
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Turn it in to the local law.  If nobody claims it in x amount of days, it's yours.
View Quote

This varies by state. Illinois nazis will not return it, it will be destroyed if it can't be returned to its owner.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I found a gun leaning against a tree out in the woods.  It was there for awhile as it was well rusted up.  I tried salvaging it but it was too far gone.  Was just a cheap 22.  The action was jammed up pretty good so I suspect it being abandoned in this condition wasn’t completely accidental.  

Wife’s uncle is a home inspector in Chicago.  He found an AK in an attic of a house he was inspecting.  Like a good lib he is he promptly called the police to confiscate it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Over the years I've had several instances where people have come to me with found guns.
Ran them (the gun) through the system.
Comes back clean - nice score, it's yours dude!
Only one ever came back stolen - over 2 decades before.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Found a gun at the end of my driveway (S&W plastic wondernine type), called sheriff to come get (could've been a loss, could've been a ditch post crime) and when they collected it they asked if I wanted it if it came back not stolen, etc.  Since it was in a bunch of pieces and I'm more of an iron and walnut kinda guy when it comes to hand guns, I told 'em they could simply destroy or use as a display item

I would guess the real answer to "do you (legally) get to keep it" will depend on where exactly you live, if you report it to the popo and if so which agency and what kind of attitude they have.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#48]

If I were restoring a WWII era tank and found that the fuel tank was full of gold bars
I would

A: call the authorities immediately
B: try to locate the original owners
C: keep it and keep my fucking mouth shut

C is the correct answer..
View Quote

Are you restoring Oddball’s Tiger????  Neat!
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#49]
How it works here is:

Report gun to police.
Police ask if you want it.
If the answer is no they destroy it.
If the answer is yes then they ask if you have a license.
If the answer is yes you want it but no you don’t have a license they will tell you to fill out the form to get one.
If it’s a machine gun it’s necessary to fill out the form for a collector’s permit.
The police mention it in the list of found property in the newspaper.
If nobody claims it then it’s yours.

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
...The other reason I didn't keep it was because it was a .40
View Quote

Yeah, fuq dat noize
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top