2. The Attack on Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it was the English Channel
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget the United States of America.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:22:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1. The Supermarine Spitfire.
View Quote

Great thing they saved Britain for the Pakistani Occupation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The Hurricane did more work than the Spitfire during the Battle of Britian.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1. The Supermarine Spitfire. The Hawker Hurricane
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sure Hitler just wanted a separate peace with Britian so he could keep fighting the Russian Communists.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:24:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Couldn't have been anything to do with the air battles over England with radar or the war on other fronts. But our information now has to be put in small, "exciting" morsels like "the 2 reasons Germany didn't do X". Wish people studied history in more depth.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty sure Hitler just wanted a separate peace with Britian so he could keep fighting the Russian Communists.
View Quote
That's bullshit. He wanted to take Stalin down worse than he wanted to take down Britain, but he wanted to take down Britain.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Hurricane did the heavy work
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was the English Channel and Hitler using England as a distraction so Stalin would not expect the invasion.
I wonder if Churchill had negotiated a peace with Germany if there would still ne an actual English Empire, and the Queen’s diamond jubilee might have had a Royal Navy as strong as her coronation’s instead of the canoes in the Thames.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#12]
1. The Royal Navy
2. Goering
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The accidental bombing of London on August 24 saved Britain.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You forgot  the Merchant Marine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
OP without searching Google, do you recognize this picture and what it represents?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:30:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're 100% correct.

Unfortunately, it set them up for the mudslime invasion of the 2000's.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It makes a pretty good moat
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe a reasonably successful evacuation of British/French troops from Dunkirk as well.  Losing most of that force would have really hurt the Brits, especially in the short term.  

Also worth mentioning... radar in Southern England.  Without that the RAF would have had a much harder job.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP without searching Google, do you recognize this picture and what it represents?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/6280989013_cf4ae814fc_b_jpg-2231354.JPG
View Quote
That's an underwater tank.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Battle of Britain: 10 July  31 October 1940

Pearl Harbor: December 7, 1941

I think you need to study more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hitler would have gotten back around to Britain if America hadn't entered the war. Sure as hell.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#22]
OP how many destroyer and battleships operated around Britain and west of Britain in 1940 and 1941? What percentage was shipping from USA was successfully blocked by Germany? Where was Rommel in 1940 and 1941 in Afrika at the time? Maybe these had something to do as well....
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hitler would have gotten back around to Britain if America hadn't entered the war. Sure as hell.
View Quote

He was trying to work out a peace deal with Halifax in 1940 but Churchill wanted to continue the war. How sincere Hitler was is obviously up for interpretation. The German war in the west was about righting perceived wrongs done by the Treaty of Versailles as opposed to the knife fight with the Communists raping and murdering their way across Europe in the East.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:39:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:39:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Pearl Harbor more than anything.  It brought the U.S. into the war, and that was the kiss of death for Germany.  That's not meant to be a humble brag for the U.S., but the industrial power that was put online for the war was impossible to overcome in the long run.  And a big element of that industrial power was the fact that it was more or less out of range for the Axis powers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally posted by Winston Curchill:

Now at this very moment I knew that the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all! ... How long the war would last or in what fashion it would end no man could tell, nor did I at this moment care ... We should not be wiped out. Our history would not come to an end ... Hitler's fate was sealed. Mussolini's fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to a powder.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP how many destroyer and battleships operated around Britain and west of Britain in 1940 and 1941? What percentage was shipping from USA was successfully blocked by Germany? Where was Rommel in 1940 and 1941 in Afrika at the time? Maybe these had something to do as well....
View Quote

Meh. The Germans took a leisurely cruise up the Channel in their big ships right under the Brits nose.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. If the British hadn't won the Battle of Britain with the Supermarine Spitfire, forestalling Operation Sealion (or some other iteration of the same intent) and if America hadn't entered The War then the Brits would be eating sauerkraut and wearing lederhosen today.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong.  Battle of Britain ended in Oct of 1940, 14 months prior to Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:49:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Failure to knock out the Soviets in Barbarossa was probably a bigger factor.  By the end of 1941 they were locked in a front that stretched from Baltic to the Black Sea with no prospect of quick victory.  Once they launched Barbarossa the war in the east became the prime German focus.  Everything else was a secondary consideration.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#31]
In mid-December 1940, Roosevelt introduced a new policy initiative whereby the United States would lend, rather than sell, military supplies to Great Britain for use in the fight against Germany.

A year before Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:51:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I immediately thought their Airforce,  but yes you're right.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#33]
The early Spitfire wasn't that great until it got 130 octane fuel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:55:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's bullshit. He wanted to take Stalin down worse than he wanted to take down Britain, but he wanted to take down Britain.
View Quote

At some point he had ambitions of teaming up with the Brits. There was a certain logic to it- don't fuck with the Germans on land or the English at sea.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:57:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nope. If the British hadn't won the Battle of Britain with the Supermarine Spitfire, forestalling Operation Sealion (or some other iteration of the same intent) and if America hadn't entered The War then the Brits would be eating sauerkraut and wearing lederhosen today.
View Quote
Radar had nothing to do with it? How about losses of pilots? A British pilot shot down landed in England. A German pilot shot down became a POW.

No those aren't important. Only the speed and armament of one type of fighter plane was the sole reason.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:58:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Meh. The Germans took a leisurely cruise up the Channel in their big ships right under the Brits nose.
View Quote
I didn't know the Germans enjoyed naval dominance over England throught WW2. I better go back and get rid of all my books on the subject.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It makes made a pretty good moat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes made a pretty good moat
Hey!  Let's build a couple great tunnels under the channel straight from Calais to London!  Ja wohl! Er, I mean, brilliant!
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:05:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what happens when someone is educated by the media and not the actual study of history.

The hurricane did most of the fighting,  the early versions of the spitfire MK Is and some MK IIs were not as abundant.  372 fought in the battle.  709 Hurricanes took part in the Battle of Britain and had 60% of the air victories.

Attack on Pearl Harbor took place in 1941,  the Battle of Britain in 1940.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:13:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Hurricane did more work than the Spitfire during the Battle of Britian.
View Quote
Should've been the first post.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is what happens when someone is educated by the media and not the actual study of history.

The hurricane did most of the fighting,  the early versions of the spitfire MK Is and some MK IIs were not as abundant.  372 fought in the battle.  709 Hurricanes took part in the Battle of Britain and had 60% of the air victories.

Attack on Pearl Harbor took place in 1941,  the Battle of Britain in 1940.
View Quote

Stop with all of the facts, ain't nobody got time for facts. Nerd!    I hated to say it, but someone had to say it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I didn't know the Germans enjoyed naval dominance over England throught WW2. I better go back and get rid of all my books on the subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a video for you.
Channel Dash; Scharnhorst and Gneisenau Run the British Blockade - Animated
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Failure to knock out the Soviets in Barbarossa was probably a bigger factor.  By the end of 1941 they were locked in a front that stretched from Baltic to the Black Sea with no prospect of quick victory.  Once they launched Barbarossa the war in the east became the prime German focus.  Everything else was a secondary consideration.
View Quote

Attacking the Soviets was a huge gamble.  They needed the oil for their war economy to be sure, but there must have been alternatives.  

Perhaps the Germans would have been better served by making concessions to the Soviets in exchange for oil.  Combine this with synthetic refineries and maxing out production in Romania and it could have been enough.  They could focus on Britain and the Mediterranean and make real gains.    Despite all the anti-Soviet rhetoric from Hitler, the Molotov-Rittentrop pact was honored so there was some goodwill for diplomacy.  All the consolidation of forces on the Western front and Mediterranean might have forced a conclusion of the war before the use of atomic weapons.  

There are so many what ifs in WWII.  The Axis powers could have probably won the war if they made better strategic decisions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#43]
More importantly was the Poles breaking the Enigma code then turning it over to the surprised Brits who then made the code breaking more efficient.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Notice how countries that are islands rarely get invaded? Or it is so difficult it becomes impossible.

England
USA
Japan
Australia
New Zealand
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah,  I would have said the channel,  winter,  and the assistance from the usa.

Even the spitfire was a force because the USA was supplying high-octane fuel to let Britain squeeze more power out of them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This. Notice how countries that are islands rarely get invaded? Or it is so difficult it becomes impossible.

England
USA
Japan
Australia
New Zealand
View Quote

Or the state of Hawaii……

Came for the purse swinging, was not disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Lend lease helped prop up the Russians which dragged on with the Germans and also help support the British.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:32:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Winston Churchill and the Lee Enfield battle rifle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:35:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Don't forget the United States of America.
View Quote
This right here. Had the United States not come to their rescue the UK would have fallen. The US saved a bunch of asses in Europe, a simple "Thank You" would've sufficed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Hitler was kinda busy by then somewhere in the Soviet Union, freezing his balls off.

After the BOB Britain was safe for a long time. Hitler did not have the Navy to cross the channel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top