Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 6/3/2021 11:06:35 AM EDT
https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/ford-maverick-pickup-gabrielle-union-reveal-name-confirmed/

We've been expecting a new pickup from Ford that's smaller than today's midsize Ranger for a while now. We've seen a bunch of shots of this vehicle under camouflage, and we've heard more wild speculation about the model's specs and name than you can shake a stick at.

Details are starting to become official, and one of them is the little unibody pickup's actual name -- Maverick -- which Ford confirmed Thursday. So now, if I can get you to momentarily push pause on all the Top Gun jokes you've likely got queued up, I'll explain that as with the Bronco, Ford has picked this name from its past. However, unlike the Bronco calling back to an old and beloved SUV, the previous Maverick wasn't a pickup.

No, instead, it was a pretty poorly regarded rear-wheel-drive economy car that was sold from 1970 to 1977 (which was based on a decade-old Falcon platform). The good news is that the new Maverick is almost definitely going to be better than that thing.

The Blue Oval has confirmed that it will debut its 2022 Ford Maverick in all its tiny-truck glory on June 8 with the help of actress and former East Compton Clover, Gabrielle Union (see the teaser video below). She'll show off the truck on her Instagram and TikTok channels, as well as on Ford's social media channels and Hulu. Keep your browser locked right here on Roadshow, and we'll bring you all the news as it happens.
View Quote

I remember as a kid, compact pickups being pretty popular. Isuzu, Mazda, & Toyota stand out in my mind as the ones I always saw around here. It’ll be interesting to see how these sell.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#1]
They couldn't have called it the Courier?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully they can keep the price and weight down by not loading the vehicle up with luxuries and unneeded safety equipment.

2.3 Ecoboost?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Maverick. What a horrible car that was.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No because that would make too much sense. Can't have that now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Should make a mustang with a truck bed.

Did Ford ever have their version of an El Camino?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

They would sell millions every year
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ranchero.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC wasn't it called the "Ranchero"?

Damn, beat by mere seconds.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Ford Ranchero.

Built originally on the Fairlane chassis. Finished up on a Torino frame and front fascia.

TC

ETA: f’ing beat! Assholes!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, the Ford Ranchero.

Edit: Beat multiple times over.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, Ranchero.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope compact trucks return. These mid sized trucks are silly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Besides the price point being retarded, dealers can't give that type of truck away to a retail customer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/maverick

Although the nameplate originally was used on a compact cars in the 1970s, Ford is reviving the Maverick as a small pickup truck, slotting into the lineup under the mid-size Ranger. Instead of sharing parts and mechanicals with the Ranger itself, the Maverick is expected to ride on the same chassis as the Bronco Sport compact crossover, which would mean possible powertrains will likely include turbocharged three- and four-cylinder engines, an automatic transmission, and all-wheel drive. Leaked images of the new pickup truck show that a four-door crew cab body style will be offered, but it's not yet known if a two-door body style will also be offered. The Maverick is part of an emerging class of small pickup trucks which Hyundai is also eyeing with the upcoming Santa Cruz.

What's New for 2022?
The Maverick pickup truck has been in the works for some time and if spy photos are to be believed it's very close to production. We expect the Maverick to debut sometime in 2021 and go on sale shortly after as a 2022 model.

Pricing and Which One to Buy
XL
$25,000 (est)

XLT
$28,000 (est)

Lariat
32,000 (est)

Ford hasn't released pricing yet, nor has it said what trim levels the Maverick will be offered in when it finally goes on sale. We are guessing it will follow the Ranger's simple three-trim lineup rather than the Bronco Sport's more complicated five-model arrangement. In our experience, base model Fords are good for keeping costs down but lack basic creature comforts that most buyers consider necessities. Likewise, the loaded Lariat will likely offer all the bells and whistles but at a price that puts it into contention with the larger and more capable Ranger, which would leave the mid-range XLT as best balance between features and price.

If the Bronco Sport donates its powertrain lineup to the Maverick—which we expect—we should find either a turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder or a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder under the hood. The four pot will likely deliver the best performance and towing capacity considering its 245-hp output; the three-cylinder makes 181-hp, which is likely to deliver adequate power for unladen driving but for hauling and towing it may feel anemic. Ford may also choose to drop in a hybrid or plug-in hybrid powertrain, but we don't expect either of those to be available at the pickup's launch. Once we get a chance to drive the Maverick, we'll update this story with driving impressions and test results.

We doubt the Maverick will carry a towing capacity as high as the Ranger's 7500-pound rating. The Bronco Sport can be equipped to tow a maximum of 2200 pounds, but it's possible that Ford may be able to squeeze more capability out of the Maverick.

The EPA hasn't released fuel economy estimates for the Maverick, nor have we had a chance to test the pickup truck out on our 75-mph highway fuel economy test route. We'll update this story with details when that information becomes available.

The only body style we know of for sure is the four-door crew cab, but the Maverick's smaller footprint likely means less passenger space inside than the larger Ranger. If a single-cab model is in the works, expect seating for only two or three across either a front bench or two bucket seats. The Maverick could simply use the same dashboard and center console as the Bronco Sport, with a rotary shift knob and clever storage cubbies. We aren't sure what size cargo beds will be available, but the Maverick won't likely offer as much cargo space there as the Ranger does now.

All models will likely come with an 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system running Ford's latest Sync 4 operating system. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will undoubtedly be standard features and we expect to see an on-board Wi-Fi hotspot as well. Options should include niceties such as in-dash navigation, SiriusXM satellite radio, and an upgraded B&O Play stereo system.

Like the Bronco Sport, the Maverick will offer a suite of standard safety features under the name Co-Pilot360. The package of features includes basics such as automated emergency braking as well as more premium features such as lane-keeping assist and automatic high-beam headlamps. For more information about the Maverick's crash test results, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) websites. Key safety features include:

Standard automated emergency braking
Standard lane-departure warning with lane-keeping assist
Available adaptive cruise control

The Maverick should stick to the standard warranty package of other new Fords, which is fairly basic and offers no complimentary scheduled maintenance program.

Limited warranty covers 3 years or 36,000 miles
Powertrain warranty covers 5 years or 60,000 miles
No complimentary scheduled maintenance
View Quote

I think the courier name exists in their small van line, but I might be wrong about that though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Diesel or gas... wouldn't matter to me.  I would buy one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I see their targeted customer is black females.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, and that damn Pinto.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Car names have always made no sense. Look into the origin of "Ranger."

But I do agree.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It would take away from their over priced truck market.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#22]
This is the model/paint job of the Maverick my parents had back in the early 80's when I was in high school.  I think it was a V6 if I remember correctly.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hopefully they can keep the price and weight down by not loading the vehicle up with luxuries and unneeded safety equipment.

2.3 Ecoboost?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

XLT trim and entry keypad.

Looks like that idea is already off the table.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Finally! A vehicle for people that want less cargo space than a full size truck but want to retain the ability to let their cargo get rained on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I hope compact trucks return. These mid sized trucks are silly.
View Quote

Sadly, these are not compact trucks like the ones back in the day.

Compact trucks were body on frame, RWD or 4x4. Standard cab, extra cab or 4door (4 door in other countries but not here)

These are basically crossovers (unibody/FWD) with the back lopped off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did either of you ever own or drive either of those two cars?  I ask because they were inexpensive, reliable, and simple to work on. They also drove just fine for the economy cars they were. I owned a Pinto and often drove a friend's Maverick, so I have firsthand experience with both.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

God why does someone say this in every vehicle thread? Believe it or not, options people want are tracked by the manufacturers. (lol) If all the manual shit /reg cab was true, it would have happened long ago. We cannot get enough $70+ thousand Sierra Diesel Denalis to sell. People dont want regular cab roll up windows.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Compact trucks were body on frame, RWD or 4x4. Standard cab, extra cab or 4door (4 door in other countries but not here)

View Quote

So a ford Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

God why does someone say this in every vehicle thread? Believe it or not, options people want are tracked by the manufacturers. (lol) If all the manual shit /reg cab was true, it would have happened long ago. We cannot get enough $70+ thousand Sierra Diesel Denalis to sell. People dont want regular cab roll up windows.
View Quote

Used truck market, in fact, says different...
There's been plenty of threads about it...

Where arfcommer goes to the local dealer, expecting to get a bargain on a freshly traded in former fleet/shit box work truck... and it go the very day/next day, for the price of a low mileage brodozer.

Anecdotal evidence becomes statistics when it's being repeated damn near daily...

Beings arfcom though... we gonna have both anecdotal written off as a coincidence while becoming the new normal as every pavement gypsy with a shit box work truck is getting 30k 40k for said shit box work truck either through carvana/private sale/dealer trade in.

Makes as much sense as the new ranger, which is the size of an early 2000s F150 crew cab short box.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Traffic traffic lookin' fo my chapstick feelin' kinda car sick there's a Ford Maverick
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

AM radio or you gonna fuck it up with that new-fangled FM stuff?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

Yeah I don't foresee the millenials properly transitioning to driving Old Fart trucks, so this idea is a non-starter.

They're not going to sell millions of $25k trucks to dudes who actually need to fit full 4x8' sheets in the back.   $10-15k, sure.

I do hope they keep offering vinyl flooring as an F150 option, though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Cool, I thought this was more of a 2023-24 thing, no idea they were going to push it out to market this quickly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is the model/paint job of the Maverick my parents had back in the early 80's when I was in high school.  I think it was a V6 if I remember correctly.

https://img.hmn.com/900x0/stories/2018/10/1976-Stallion.jpg
View Quote

A friend of mine had one of those me him and another friend shoe horned a built 351 Windsor in it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Did either of you ever own or drive either of those two cars?  I ask because they were inexpensive, reliable, and simple to work on. They also drove just fine for the economy cars they were. I owned a Pinto and often drove a friend's Maverick, so I have firsthand experience with both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct sir. I drove a Maverick, it was a perfectly good car. The Pinto was a good car, just stupid ugly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cool, I thought this was more of a 2023-24 thing, no idea they were going to push it out to market this quickly.
View Quote

Hope it turns out well and they actually have enough built to sell.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Why can't they just show us what it looks like. Having a nobody minority unveil it just screams "diversity stunt".

I'm one of those guys who'd buy a stripped down truck (make it at least have jumper seats though, single cab is cramped with dogs and people). I've had that in the past with Rangers...need a bit of space.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You are correct sir. I drove a Maverick, it was a perfectly good car. The Pinto was a good car, just stupid ugly.
View Quote

I didn't even mind how my Pinto looked. Had the 2-door coupe in brown.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah I don't foresee the millenials properly transitioning to driving Old Fart trucks, so this idea is a non-starter.

They're not going to sell millions of $25k trucks to dudes who actually need to fit full 4x8' sheets in the back.   $10-15k, sure.

I do hope they keep offering vinyl flooring as an F150 option, though.
View Quote

You mean crew cab short bed heated steering wheel and pleather? Old farts love loaded up crew cabs and have ever since the town car and deville got shit canned.
In a way, you're kind of right...

We want boosted 7.3 godzilla pushrod engines to replace soy infused ecojunk and electricuck trucks.
Go to search and browse 7.3
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep, Ranchero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Ranchero.

The Ranchero came out first, and GM copied the idea and released their version called the El Camino.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#42]
How will they be able to actually build them without processors?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was coming here to basically post the above.

That is where the Ranchero name would seemingly apply.

These are more car than truck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Look, all we want is a cheap truck that'll make a good Technical when SHTF!

Is that too much to ask?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I see their targeted customer is black females.
View Quote

I mean, who else is really in the market for trucks?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Says every boomer or boomer wanna be.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ranchero
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Where arfcommer goes to the local dealer, expecting to get a bargain on a freshly traded in former fleet/shit box work truck... and it go the very day/next day, for the price of a low mileage brodozer.

Anecdotal evidence becomes statistics when it's being repeated damn near daily...

Beings arfcom though... we gonna have both anecdotal written off as a coincidence while becoming the new normal as every pavement gypsy with a shit box work truck is getting 30k 40k for said shit box work truck either through carvana/private sale/dealer trade in.

Makes as much sense as the new ranger, which is the size of an early 2000s F150 crew cab short box.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The post this was aimed at started with "Ford should make...." I was (and so was he ) referring to new vehicles, not used. White std stripped down trucks sit on the lot. Denalis move.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is exactly the type of truck I own.  A 15 year old Ram 2500.

I'm trying to replace it with something similar.  It's absolutely impossible.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Pricing looks reasonable.

Styling is fine.

If they limit the towing capacity to the same pathetic 2200 lbs as the Bronco Sport, that's going to really suck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top