Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3148
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rbb2:

IIRC the body converts some portion of the alcohol to sugar?
View Quote

Then I should be going up in pants size, not down.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Nice. You don't see many folks with a Stretch.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Makes sense and still fits the CRK/RHK hybrid talk. I'm a sucker for good fit and finish so it sounds like something that if the right combo caught my eye I'd look at.

View Quote

Not saying you will like it, but if you like Hinderer, may be worth checking one out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

Alcohol interrupts the production of ketones while the liver deals with filtering the alcohol from the body.

It will not kick someone out of ketosis but does pause it so to speak.
View Quote

See? That's why I go to this guy.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Dry red wine is mostly fine too. Most people don't realize alcohol is pretty energetic (between carbs and fats) but it by itself has never knocked me out of keto when using test strips.

Some carrots in the kimchi, tomato sauce and a touch of sugar in the chili, but this shouldn't be more that 10g total carbs for the day. Got tired of fat fasting.

https://i.imgur.com/z7shD30.jpg
View Quote

I like what I am seeing here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
As I was saying, in the past the closest I came to a real hinderer was a ZT. I had a few 0562s. Not sure why I never grabbed an 0560, always liked the dragon scale look, but I didn't.

The 0562s never really spoke to me. They were very well done, but just weren't keepers. The action on the first one of them was about as close to perfection as you could get. Just amazing.

Kinda put me off Hinderer designs, and I wasn't willing to drop the coin for a real Hinderer.

Then f&*^ing smokie started posting 0560 pics. Well, had to try one of those finally.

One I found was reasonably priced, not great. Guy said he just got it back from ZT after they tuned and sharpened it. It does look factory sharpened, but not great. Screw heads have all seen better days and could be replaced. Scratches on blade. It was a user.

But pop it open and it just falls into the hand right. Feels good. Love the texturing all around. Good attention to details. maybe a couple hotspots at the back, but not horrible. Action is well broken in and smooth. Have to fire with authority, but closing you can walk it down.

We will see how it does, but initial impressions are positive.

stupid lighting

oh, and

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#7]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

View Quote

Water.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]

See? That's why I go to this guy.

View Quote

OK, I defer. I think of this thread at this point as basically a chat group, so....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]

At this point I am curious, because mine have all been pretty good.

I was thinking I should send some of mine down to you to check out.

But back to the question of being "worth their price".

From a materials standpoint, no, there are probably "better" options if one prefers super steels and carbon fiber.

But that's not the only consideration.

Is a CRK, Colt, HK or any of our toys worth their cost?

Only if that is the value we assign them. People keep paying the asking prices for all of them. Emerson can't keep up with demand.

From an ergos standpoint, I can't think of anyone better. They have certainly worked their magic on me. Not all of them, but a bunch. Few I outright hated.

And Ernie hasn't rested on his early laurels with just a few designs like certain other makers demanding more for their knife than I want to pay (looking at you CRK). He is a prolific designer, cracks em out, takes what works, discards what doesn't. He's so good other companies pay him to use his designs.

As for the action/washers, all of his design aspects have a reason. I do not appreciate the one for the nylatron washers, but it was an easy fix with PB washers. The action on mine are all pretty good now.

As far as the fit and finish, he has explained why they don't bother with an extra little bit of polish. They are tools, the polish will get messed up, there is no need. He is more interested in making sure his tools are meeting the needs of the people using them on the front lines than with the eyes of collectors. Could it be both? Probably, but I don't hold it against him. I certainly did initially until I got more into them. I've actually learned that they do step up their work for other lines. Like that Hattin was really well done. I think they put more spit and polsih into the special/exclusive runs. And then there is the XHD series. And the customs.

I'm not whiteknighting for them. Everyone can like different things and there is certainly stuff I don't like about them as well. But they do a lot I do like. In the how many years now of going through hundreds of knives, I have only retained a select few to actively use. The Emersons seem to have scratched an itch for me, because there are a number of them here. Yes, I have to modify them to get them the way I want, but at least I can do that. With so many other knives maybe they are completely wrong or really good but for this or that, but can't change it because there is no aftermarket.

So what is worth? YMMV. To each their own. We all value different things. I'm very value oriented, so whatever I keep has to really speak to me in some way. It's a sliding scale with different considerations for each person. Right now it looks like I have narrowed the collection into narrow discernible categories: a handful of fixed blades, a drawer of Shiros or kin, a drawer of Emerson or ZT kin, and a drawer of a select few other makes that have stayed for one reason or another. But they all have spoken to me in someway (or are still in the trial period). Looking at the Emerson drawer, the ZTs may have a "better" material spec, but the Emersons still win for the feel in the hand for me. Even if I could do a dream build of an Emerson model done by ZT, I don't know that they could match a real Emerson for feel in the hand unless Ernie let them do an exact copy of one of his models. Even then ZT would probably want to do something stupid like put carbon fiber on there. Like the 0640. That one comes damn close to a real Emerson with a "better" spec/finish for me (154 really doesn't bother me). Just wish I could get my hands on some canvas micarta scales. Stupid factory CF.

https://i.imgur.com/1mNpWHR.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I was thinking Ed Hardy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#11]
As I was saying, in the past the closest I came to a real hinderer was a ZT. I had a few 0562s. Not sure why I never grabbed an 0560, always liked the dragon scale look, but I didn't.

The 0562s never really spoke to me. They were very well done, but just weren't keepers. The action on the first one of them was about as close to perfection as you could get. Just amazing.

Kinda put me off Hinderer designs, and I wasn't willing to drop the coin for a real Hinderer.

Then f&*^ing smokie started posting 0560 pics. Well, had to try one of those finally.

One I found was reasonably priced, not great. Guy said he just got it back from ZT after they tuned and sharpened it. It does look factory sharpened, but not great. Screw heads have all seen better days and could be replaced. Scratches on blade. It was a user.

But pop it open and it just falls into the hand right. Feels good. Love the texturing all around. Good attention to details. maybe a couple hotspots at the back, but not horrible. Action is well broken in and smooth. Have to fire with authority, but closing you can walk it down.

stupid lighting

https://i.imgur.com/iSYsx2M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OpB96id.jpg

oh, and

https://i.imgur.com/a1HIUi1.jpg
View Quote

Good looking knife. Really good.

Lots of folks said that ZT did Hinderer better than Hinderer. I don't really think that's true (currently, can't speak to past) but they don't do any worse IMO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
https://i.imgur.com/yWgiQBa.jpg
View Quote

The Hattin has become one of my favorites. Excellent choice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
For me too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:22:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerShanks] [#14]

Is this typical of standard Emersons? I'm not talking the Hattin or other special runs.

https://i.imgur.com/yme4Hci.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DE26fwe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YGnvsiZ.jpg

View Quote

When my Tiger was new and waved open, I had to press the liner lock on a table corner to get it to release. No fucking way you could do it by hand. It was that sticky. Blade was also way off center. I’m guessing it happens frequently, because he has instructions on the website on how to center the blade on your factory new knife.

Two years later, blade is centered and everything has worn in perfectly. Maybe it should have been that way from the factory, IDK? Emerson is still my favorite maker, and not just because Irish.

Side note: The Hattin came flawless and unlike any other Emerson I’ve ever had.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:24:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justabulletaway] [#15]

Lots of folks said that ZT did Hinderer better than Hinderer. I don't really think that's true (currently, can't speak to past) but they don't do any worse IMO.
View Quote

It's just the little things that takes a Hinderer to the next level.

ZT is great but the fit and finish on a Hinderer is on a different level.

ETA... And it should be. For a $400+ knife nothing less than perfection is acceptable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:30:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#16]
Here's the only complaint I have on the Hattin after having it in hand four whole hours: the handle is larger than necessary.

Compare it to the Hati, with almost identical cutting edge length. The distance from the "guard" to the start of the edge is much longer, and the handle is much longer. I don't mind the bulk in the middle, as it fills the hand very very well, it just seems like it's longer than it needs to be. It feels excellent in the hand, though, and it's by no means a deal breaker, and I know that Shiro is basically the king of edge/handle ratio. Just the one gripe so far. Well, that and the disc being too small, but Pete Gray has already shipped out a fix for that, so....

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Pete will fix it!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Label created, awaiting shipment!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

When my Tiger was new and waved open, I had to press the liner lock on a table corner to get it to release. No fucking way you could do it by hand. It was that sticky. Blade was also way off center. I’m guessing it happens frequently, because he has instructions on the website on how to center the blade on your factory new knife.

Two years later, blade is centered and everything has worn in perfectly. Maybe it should have been that way from the factory, IDK? Emerson is still my favorite maker, and not just because Irish.

View Quote

So my experience isn't so unique then.

I have some Irish blood in me too but no way is that shit acceptable for a $200+ knife.

That lock stick could be fixed with a hardened insert or by carbidizing the lock face.

Pure and simple, Emerson doesn't do it because he doesn't have to as long as people keep buying it.

The Hattin is a very awesome looking knife and Emerson has a hell of an eye for design.

He just needs to sub his manufacturing out to some modern CNC house.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
It's all about what works.

Best of luck!

(Also, technically, I don't think you are supposed to drink while doing keto, but I think bourbon gets a free pass).
View Quote

And vodka.

Not a poser, dont like dieting.
Watching my carbs allows me to eat hearty filling meals without gaining weight.
I'm in my late 40's...so the days of inhaling two Del Taco Macho Burrito's (one pound burrito) back to back and washing it down with a beer are pretty much done.

That wasnt a good idea as a 19 year old Marine...(Burrito sweats are a thing)...it damn sure isnt a good idea now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#21]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ethanol is broken down into acetaldehyde which is toxic and is converted by acetaldehyde dehydrogenase hopefully right away into acetate which can be used to synthesize fats or cholesterol or alternatively converted to acetyl coA which goes right into the citric acid cycle. This is also how fats get burned in the mitochondria - you take off 2 carbon chunks of the hydrocarbon fatty acid tails and run them through in the same way. So alcohol is using fat pathways and as far as I know is never converted to carbs unless maybe through gluconeogenesis. But it is toxic and will take resources up in the liver. Let me find an illustration. ETA - note the NADH goes to the electron transport chain as a electron carrier straight away and generates ATP there too.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#22]

stupid lighting

https://i.imgur.com/iSYsx2M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OpB96id.jpg

oh, and

https://i.imgur.com/a1HIUi1.jpg
View Quote
Congrats man!!
I'm a "bad" influence, I know lol.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Tell me I shouldn't. Not a fan of how they do the inlays on the new 31, so part of me says I should snag one while they're still available at normal prices.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#24]
https://i.imgur.com/yWgiQBa.jpg
View Quote

Great shot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Tell me I shouldn't. Not a fan of how they do the inlays on the new 31, so part of me says I should snag one while they're still available at normal prices.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/s-l1600-1841507.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Is this typical of standard Emersons? I'm not talking the Hattin or other special runs.

https://i.imgur.com/yme4Hci.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DE26fwe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YGnvsiZ.jpg

View Quote

Oi.

That's pretty rough.

I
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

And vodka.

Not a poser, dont like dieting.
Watching my carbs allows me to eat hearty filling meals without gaining weight.
I'm in my late 40's...so the days of inhaling two Del Taco Macho Burrito's (one pound burrito) back to back and washing it down with a beer are pretty much done.

That wasnt a good idea as a 19 year old Marine...(Burrito sweats are a thing)...it damn sure isnt a good idea now.
View Quote

I gotta give you shit or you would think there was something wrong with me.

Lots of old people do keto because their metabolisms slow down. I get it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By smokie:
Congrats man!!
I'm a "bad" influence, I know lol.
View Quote

If you only hadn't posted so many all at once I could have remained blissfully ignorant.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Seven days ago? Odds are it'll pop up randomly but it's annoying
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Nice. You don't see many folks with a Stretch.
View Quote

It's a great knife for sure!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, I'm a little surprised FedEx is playing the weather card. USPS sure, but FedEx?

Although, IIRC, didn't FedEx have some shit go down at their main facility in Memphis?
View Quote

Yeah they shut down the sorting
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Some times you just have to scratch that itch.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

But but.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Ethanol is broken down into acetaldehyde which is toxic and is converted by acetaldehyde dehydrogenase hopefully right away into acetate which can be used to synthesize fats or cholesterol or alternatively converted to acetyl coA which goes right into the citric acid cycle. This is also how fats get burned in the mitochondria - you take off 2 carbon chunks of the hydrocarbon fatty acid tails and run them through in the same way. So alcohol is using fat pathways and as far as I know is never converted to carbs unless maybe through gluconeogenesis. But it is toxic and will take resources up in the liver. Let me find an illustration. ETA - note the NADH goes to the electron transport chain as a electron carrier straight away and generates ATP there too.

https://microbenotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Ethanol-Metabolism.jpg
View Quote

I don't even know most of those words.

And that sciency diagram? I can't understand that.

Where's kuraki with his drawrings when you need him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I am kinda itchy.

Wait....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#36]
Okay sorry for nerding out here but looking into it further I found this very interesting. Ethanol degradation actually slows gluconeogenesis and the acetyls produced are the same as what starts ketone production from fat as well as two acetyls are linked together. Because the citric acid cycle slows use of acetyl-coA due to the NADH production from ethanol breakdown, more ketones are made from the acetyls and can lead to ketoacidosis in alcoholics.

https://mehlmanmedical.com/alcohol-metabolism-and-effects/

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Question for the Keto Heads.  Is olive oil allowed?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Why are your pants down?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#39]

I don't even know most of those words.

And that sciency diagram? I can't understand that.

Where's kuraki with his drawrings when you need him.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By conndcj:
View Quote
Yeah, you can basically drink it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#41]

So my experience isn't so unique then.

I have some Irish blood in me too but no way is that shit acceptable for a $200+ knife.

That lock stick could be fixed with a hardened insert or by carbidizing the lock face.

Pure and simple, Emerson doesn't do it because he doesn't have to as long as people keep buying it.

The Hattin is a very awesome looking knife and Emerson has a hell of an eye for design.

He just needs to sub his manufacturing out to some modern CNC house.

View Quote

So far the only issue I have heard is the ghosting logo. The rest is just stuff you don't like. Which is fine.  

The lock stick is a feature. Means it won't slip Sharpie fix worked for me. It wears in with regular use. Seriously think it is intentional at this point, he wants it to stick.

The ones I have are recent production and have all been in good order.  I have heard there was a time when they had very spotty QC, but not recently.

I'm still doling out the dollars for the Emersons and I tend to be stingy with my knife dollars, so value must be there for me.

I did briefly own a roadhouse that was from 2012. It had double detent, garbage action because of the double detent and would still fall open with a light shake. That to me was an issue. Returned that one.

He should sub his machining out though. I wanted him to bring production to Wisconsin, but I suppose you would argue for Kentucky or Alabama.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By conndcj:
View Quote

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

You absolutely should.

That's a good looking knife.
Even one of my 11 year olds thought so...for whatever that's worth.
She liked how it had the "rustic designs on the handle" and thought the blade design, (tanto) was "excellent".
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#44]

I am kinda itchy.

Wait....
View All Quotes

I am kinda itchy.

Wait....

That's from the scabies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's the only complaint I have on the Hattin after having it in hand four whole hours: the handle is larger than necessary.

Compare it to the Hati, with almost identical cutting edge length. The distance from the "guard" to the start of the edge is much longer, and the handle is much longer. I don't mind the bulk in the middle, as it fills the hand very very well, it just seems like it's longer than it needs to be. It feels excellent in the hand, though, and it's by no means a deal breaker, and I know that Shiro is basically the king of edge/handle ratio. Just the one gripe so far. Well, that and the disc being too small, but Pete Gray has already shipped out a fix for that, so....

https://i.imgur.com/rpN0o4n.jpg
View Quote

The Hattin is supposed to be reminiscent of a scimitar. A fighting blade. You have the pommel of a sword there. Needs to be big enough to give you a positive secure grip.

Different purpose than the Hati.

And Shiro is really good about blade ratio. The F series is excellent in that regard.

Oh, which reminds me, you mentioned something about the guy selling it saying it was an F95, but clearly it was a Hati, so why would he say that, or something like that. Meant to respond. As far as I know, the Hati is an F series knife. It is built the same as an F95 but has a non ti show scale. Only difference I believe.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#46]

It's just the little things that takes a Hinderer to the next level.

ZT is great but the fit and finish on a Hinderer is on a different level.

ETA... And it should be. For a $400+ knife nothing less than perfection is acceptable.

View Quote

Having the 0560 in hand has me wondering if I am missing something with the XM-18.

But so far as I know, there are no XM-18s set up quite like the 0560? Just same general shape and design cues, but no contoured handles on XM-18s?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

View Quote

LOL, little bitch hands.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

At half the price, makes it hard to justify the Hinderer price unless there is something "extra" on the Hinderers. Like the feel or details you can appreciate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#49]
More DFarm goodness...

Fish & Shrimp taco's last night....Carb Saver tortilla's....tasty and 4 grams of carbs per tortilla, vs the usual 22 grams of carbs per tortilla...

Pork chops and green beans tonight:

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#50]

OK, I defer. I think of this thread at this point as basically a chat group, so....
View Quote

Pretty much.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3148
Top Top