Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/25/2021 3:01:12 PM EDT
So, I'm cruising Craigslist, as I usually do, looking for deals and free stuff to fill my rafters so my kids have to deal with it when I shuffle off this mortal coil. One thing I like is salvaging free building materials from the side of the road, dump, scrap piles at the hardware store, or the errant pallet sitting all alone.

Some things I've recently seen however are "reclaimed barnwood", and they're charging $4+ per lineal foot on the stuff. I have lots of projects in mind but $32 for a 2x4 at 8' is absurd. I'm assuming the customers for this kind of wood are not in the same league as me when it comes to finding deals or building projects. I'm guessing that people make crafts or something? I can't think of what someone would do with these besides shelves? I know of a few barns that would be better off dismantled, and maybe I can get my grubby mitts on some USDA Prime 2x4s to sell to these cityiots for their "shabby chic" projects.

So, what do people use this stuff for when it is so expensive?

$4/lnft if you pull the nails yourself, $5.50/lnft if they do it.

2x12 @ $6.50/ft

$5/board foot

$8/sqft on "feature wall" wood-$2000 total. Just nuts!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Etsy
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want something like American Chestnut it's pretty much the only way to get it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a place near here that buys and tears down old buildings to reclaim the wood and make very nice looking furniture.   They never buy anything less than 100 years old.
  Chairs are around $200.00.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Those ladies are watching hgtv too much and make their hubbies buy over priced barnwood and nail it to a "feature wall" so their friends can ohh and ahh and make their hubbies to the same.
It's a vicious cycle. My neighbors give that shit away because it's garbage.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. Hipster carpenters do. There is a local place that buys the shit out of reclaimed lumber to make furniture out of. You pay an assload of money for a table, and get a little card telling you about its history.......

One of many examples.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of the old buildings were made of nice wood, I know where I am there is Chestnut, Oak, Maple, Poplar, Cherry, Walnut that was used.  And people want distressed wood that occured naturally from use.  It's a big market and money in it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It's art, man.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#8]
My cousin covered a wall in it. Wood with distressed red paint was very popular.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
We ripped up the wood floor of my American Legion post to do some remodeling. Wood floor was maple sawmilled in Wisconsin in the 1920's, it was stamped underneath. We are in the PNW so it made quite the journey.

People will pay for it if it's quality.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a guy not too far from me that takes "reclaimed" wood and makes all kinds of kitchy little things from it.  I've never been to his store so I don't know if his stuff is any good or reasonably priced or anything though.  

https://www.shopbarnbeautiful.com/
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
A 2x4x8 is 3.5 bdft

At 4$, that’s $14. If it’s true measurement 2x4 because it’s old, then it’s like $21.

So I don’t know why you are getting your panties in a bunch

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Beams and wood used in older homes are something you can not get anymore.  Lumber quality was higher.  Some stuff you can't find AT ALL now.  Saw a Dirty Jobs episode from years back where they salvaged wood from river and lake bottoms in WA/OR because that wood really doesn't exist now.  They cut that into thin sheets for furniture.  

Lumber is going to go through the freaking roof here pretty quick too.   Just as I got set to build my cabin.  Murphy never even gives me a reach-around.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Black Dawg salvage is about an hour away. They do that kind of stuff. Their stuff is expensive as hell.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 2x4x8 is 3.5 bdft

At 4$, that’s $14. If it’s true measurement 2x4 because it’s old, then it’s like $21.

So I don’t know why you are getting your panties in a bunch

View Quote

You're paying for linear foot, $4-$6 per foot lengthwise. Therefore, their 8' 2x4 is $32. I understand higher prices for hardwoods, but this is all fir/hemlock. Old growth, but still. I'm just trying to build a woodshed so I have a place to beat my kids.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, most of it goes in artsy fartsy craft type projects that the zoomers and millennials will pay a fortune for.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're paying for linear foot, $4-$6 per foot lengthwise. Therefore, their 8' 2x4 is $32. I understand higher prices for hardwoods, but this is all fir/hemlock. Old growth, but still. I'm just trying to build a woodshed so I have a place to beat my kids.
View Quote

then tell them to fuck right off lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My parents house has 1 X 14" heart pine flooring milled from beams out of a mill that was torn down. Was not that expensive 30 years ago when they built their house. The mill was about 150 years old.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

The rest are kinda insane, but this is a nice stack of lumber and a steal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Most of the old Barn wood in the Midwest and south, is old slow growth hardwoods. Tight grained, and highly figured.

It's rare to find wood lots, that haven't been opened up and still have anything standing, with the same quality.
When they are found, they sold as peelers for veneer.

The stuff is rare really. American Chestnut no longer exists except reclaimed, and equally tight grained Walnut is impossible to find.

Damn skippy the high end furniture makers buy it.

The Ash, Elm, locust and other stuff, get's snagged for artsy shit.

What's funny is, half of Shitcago, was rebuilt with old growth tight grained Oak,Chestnut,and Red Elm that was cut over here.
It made it financially viable to clear woodlots and expand farm fields.
Th shitty old neighborhoods that are all run down, are worth more for the reclaimed wood, than the cost of the property itself.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends on the wood. Old barnwood was the hipster thing in the ‘70s, then died off, then resurgence recently. If barn siding, then it’s for artsy things. But if it is dimensional lumber that can be planned down it’s good as it has been seasoned for decades and will have the least probability of warping compared to new lumber.

In west central FL the old wood to go after is cypress. Around 1910 there were cypress trees that were 50 feet and larger in circumference. All cut down by 1920. Still some of the stumps in the NWR.

And yes, depending on location barns were made with local wood species that cost a fortune today. I recently tore down a barn that the beams were honey locust. The wood is harder than oak, to the point that you have to drill pilot holes in order to use nails without bending them. Keeping the wood for future projects.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#21]
There is a pretty popular market for guitars made from reclaimed wood as well. Some are quite beautiful.

ETA: here is one for sale now

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#22]
If you look at wood in houses built many years ago it looks and acts a lot different than wood nowadays.  The rings are much smaller and the wood is hard as hell.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes. Furniture and accent walls, etc out of it is big $$$.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a six foot section of an old barn from the 1700s, hand hewed elm I believe.  It's going to be a vertical post in my kitchen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I looked at a house that had a HUGE barn on the property. It had about a dozen horse stalls in it. Each one was packed, and I mean packed with old wood. There were beams that were 12”X24”X30’. Maybe bigger. Plus the barn itself was made out of some serious lumber. I told my wife we could probably pay off half the mortgage by selling all that wood......Also came with two dump trucks, a dozer, and a loader/backhoe.

Some 24 year old kid bought the place hours before we were set to make an offer....??
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Those ladies are watching hgtv too much and make their hubbies buy over priced barnwood and nail it to a "feature wall" so their friends can ohh and ahh and make their hubbies to the same.
It's a vicious cycle. My neighbors give that shit away because it's garbage.
View Quote

More than anything this is it. Hipster idiots wanting "artisan" nonsense and women wanting the current fads and to impress their friends.

Yes, a lot of people understand the old growth wood is valuable and why, but the majority of idiots who pay for this stuff have no clue.

The prorated board foot cost of what was listed in the OP approachs or exceeds the cost of FAS American hardwoods, in unusually wide/long sizes even and also for "exotic" species from Africa, Central/South America, and possibly Asia.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Old wood is gorgeous.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#29]
An old barn on my road is slowly being picked apart one or two boards at a time by someone. They are probably making picture frames or some small craft projects from it, they are still thieves though - just crafty ones.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#30]
It’s big money now for the Pinterest crowd

There’s a guy not far from me who gets old barn wood, puts it in an old conex with a couple torpedo heaters for a couple hours, and makes absolute bank selling it as “reclaimed wood heat treated to be pest free!”
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Better quality wood than the average chain store, and it’s distressed/worn, which looks good for projects.

I’ve never bought reclaimed wood, but have reclaimed it myself for projects. Pulling rusty nails and dealing with old wood is a pain in the ass, but it looks good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I took down my old house, circa 1820's, and sold off all the lumber at a serious profit. Even sold the lathe out of the walls to folks with fireplaces, it was so old and dry you could start it with a match. Sold a single 14"x14" hand-hewn beam 25 feet long for $1200.

Participated in taking down 2 other old houses and a huge old barn. All the barn material was sold to a group of Amish folk.

My woman took some of the wood from my house, made some art/craft kind of stuff out of it.

A local antique mall has a room the size of a gymnasium that is nothing but reclaimed wood and hardware.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Most of the old Barn wood in the Midwest and south, is old slow growth hardwoods. Tight grained, and highly figured.

It's rare to find wood lots, that haven't been opened up and still have anything standing, with the same quality.
When they are found, they sold as peelers for veneer.

The stuff is rare really. American Chestnut no longer exists except reclaimed, and equally tight grained Walnut is impossible to find.

Damn skippy the high end furniture makers buy it.

The Ash, Elm, locust and other stuff, get's snagged for artsy shit.

What's funny is, half of Shitcago, was rebuilt with old growth tight grained Oak,Chestnut,and Red Elm that was cut over here.
It made it financially viable to clear woodlots and expand farm fields.
Th shitty old neighborhoods that are all run down, are worth more for the reclaimed wood, than the cost of the property itself.

View Quote

Old barnwood in the south is nothing but termite tubes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a piece of Black Cherry 13 feet long, 25 inches wide.
Bark to bark with only about 2 inches of sapwood on each side.
5/4 thick, 13 feet long.

It made a spectacular Queen size headboard for a Solid Cherry pencil post bed.
The center had a beautiful ellipse in the grain that is centered on the the headboard.

The stubs from each end are t he tops of matching end tables.

Back in the mid 1970s the whole board was less than $200.

I also have a piece of Honduras Mahogany 48 inches wide, 5/4 thick, and 16 feet long.

That piece was over $1,000

If I ever get around to it I will make some tilt top tables with it.

I have the transmission to build the lathe with.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I see some pretty cool looking dressers, end tables, and beds for sale on craigslist mase out of reclaimed barn wood around here.
I think it would go pretty awesome in a little 2 room cabin.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a friend here in Dismal Seepage who has made a living for at least thirty years tearing down barns for their wood.
He works hard, but has supported his family on a single income.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#37]
An old school was torn down just over in Louisiana about 20 or 30 years ago. It was probably a hundred years old. The gym floor was mahogany.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Maker Series: Artisanal Firewood | CBC Radio (Comedy/Satire)

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I would say those prices are pretty fair.  I would try to negotiate for $4BF de-nailed as that has been the going rate for years.  However this stuff is getting more and more scarce.  Overall that's not a bad price when you look at the current prices for maple or especially walnut.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Saw it being resawn and used as flooring in a multimillion dollar home just yesterday. Wide plank rough sawn lumber be trendy, yo!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Old Growth lumber is great in a lot of applications.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Often wood that was plentiful in an area was used to put up barns, houses, etc. decades ago.
If oak was the predominant wood, then it was used for everything.  It didn't have the value that it does today.

Today, if builders can get away with cheapest, that still meets building codes, they will put up the cheapest.  
Look at the dimensions of most lumber.  It isn't even real size, and hasn't been for decades.  Most stuff with good wood is laminated unless it's a free standing or meant to be a visual show-piece.  Furniture is made out of garbage wood, because you're never going to see under your couch, and not likely to see the backs of dressers that are against walls their entire lives.

So you can get some big oak or other hardwood timbers out of old buildings, plane them down a little and still have great lumber.
The problem is, most of this stuff is so old and devoid of sap/moisture, that you need an air/22 blank nailer to even put the stuff together it's so hard and petrified.  Often you have to pre drill holes to even put screws in if you don't want to break them off.

There's nothing really wrong with reclaiming this stuff and I think it's great that this still useful wood doesn't end up in landfills or in someone's fireplace.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Parts of this are reclaimed red wood from water tanks built on roofs in New York over a hundred years ago.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Lumber from trees that naturally grew for a relatively long time is completely different from lumber made from farmed trees that were grown as quickly as possible
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Our barn is about two hundred years old, we're rich!

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lumber from trees that naturally grew for a relatively long time is completely different from lumber made from farmed trees that were grown as quickly as possible
View Quote

Exactly.  Old growth stuff is the best.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought a house with 100 year old pine wood floors. I hated them, the wood is still too soft. They say antique pine gets hard, but that's not true in my case. It was still too soft for woman to wear high heels on.
In New Orleans, salvaged French Quarter brick is also a thing.
I almost bought a home with a wooden bar salvaged from an old Chicago bar (that meant something to the prior owner.
I've seen homes with salvaged barn wood, and/or faked to look like salvaged barn wood. TN has a "modern farmhouse" theme in the luxury market.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Hidden Treasure, Real Antique Wood Reclaimed Lumber Mill
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes. Hipster carpenters do. There is a local place that buys the shit out of reclaimed lumber to make furniture out of. You pay an assload of money for a table, and get a little card telling you about its history.......

One of many examples.
View Quote

I hate that shit. One of my customers has a conference table made from old railroad ties. I hate that thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Old Town Millwork use of sunken logs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top