Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3127
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By it20:

Or that could be down around Afton in the Star Valley. Gorgeous there too. We fought a fire on that side too. Very rugged country, mountain goat country right behind the town. That was where the 454 pistol was created I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Cant remember the name but it was about an hour southish of Jackson. If it wasnt for the terrible winters and ungodly winds I wouldn't mind living their either. Maybe when I retire and dont have to go outside unless I want to.  

Could be Pinedale. Gorgeous place nestled between two mountain ranges. I thing Harrison Fords place is by there. I fought a couple fires in those mountains and planted trees (i mean inspected the planting). Amazing fishing around there too.

One place I dont know much about is the Sheridan area. The Big Horn mountains are beautiful and I think the winters are easier.

Edit:

Casper, Rawlins, Rock Springs are all pretty rough towns. Cheyenne, Laramie, Jackson (super expensive), Cody, Sheridan are all nice places as long as you have a career that will support your fun habits.

I'd have to do some digging to see if I can find the town. He lived right at the base of a mountain.  You'd go 100 feet off of their back porch and it was a good 60 degree hill for a few thousand feet. He would take his sled, stand it up on the tail and weave his way up the mountain through the trees.

I'd make a turn and stuff a ski and fall over.

Or that could be down around Afton in the Star Valley. Gorgeous there too. We fought a fire on that side too. Very rugged country, mountain goat country right behind the town. That was where the 454 pistol was created I think.

I'm pretty sure that's it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrSig239] [#2]
This youtube vid shows the easiest to tie 2 strand mathew walker knot.mathew walker knot

If your brave you can try the 4 strand also. That one is a son of a gun to do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MrSig239:

This youtube vid shows the easiest to tie 2 strand mathew walker knot.mathew walker knot
View Quote
Nice, thanks :)
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
Wife says the tree that's been sitting has to go because she's sure she saw "something alive" go into it.

https://i.imgur.com/iwqgdKX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/loudZza.jpg

3v's gotcha fam, it's also really hard to focus your phone when your fingers are covered in sap and so is your phone.
View Quote

OP went ninja on that mofo.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The devil is in the details they say.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I assume  you're referring to the stop pin resting low in the cutout?

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I think he is talking about the crisp non fading logo.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rbb2:
https://i.imgur.com/dRVekfH.jpg
View Quote

I don't recall seeing you grab this one. Feel like I have stumbled across most of your recent acquisitions in my own searches.

Is this new?

How do you like it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Okay, China, I'll pass. I wonder if they all are made there.

I typed out a lecture on dishwashing drink glasses but it was lost when I applied a browser update. It went blah blah etching cloudy glasses long term blah blah residues affect flavors supposedly and "legs" (and heads for beer) blah blah handwash dawn rinse well blah blah don't use so many glasses unless your doing a formal comparison.
View Quote

With such deep dedication to education, you should be a professor.

Of course I was comparing different types. Why would I need 14 glasses for the same type of bourbon!?!?

These aren't collectible glasses, so not worried about clouding long term.

I use special dishwasher detergent with Dawn.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

I don't recall seeing you grab this one. Feel like I have stumbled across most of your recent acquisitions in my own searches.

Is this new?

How do you like it?
View Quote

I assumed this was what you were referring to earlier. Must've been the S90V one. That was a good deal!

I like it a lot. Much more "me" than the NeOn and HatiOn were.

It's an old school F95 on washers, traded the Maximus towards it. Flies open, very nice hydraulic close. Not drop shut, but looser than CRK, for example.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justabulletaway] [#12]
I assume  you're referring to the stop pin resting low in the cutout?

View Quote

That's just the skewed perspective.

I think he is talking about the crisp non fading logo.

View Quote

I've never looked at the Hinderer logo under magnification.

That blade logo is absolutely insane. It takes a very good laser to get that much detail in a logo that small.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Yeah, with that kind of weight, that is a good whiskey glass. So your hands aren't waving around all wild like after you have had a dozen. The weight helps keep your hand steady and sure as you raise another glass of life water to your lips.
View Quote

On the topic of weight we've had these whiskey glasses for a while and I like them.

They've got a lot of mass on the bottom and it's wide enough to hold well.

My wife bought these for me for Japanese whiskys and I like the shape and weight there as well

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Wisconsin?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

The first Chinese I ever had was at a higher quality Cantonese style restaurant.
I've never had any other that compared. They had the best egg drop and hot and sour ever but all of their food was top notch. I never doubted the origins of their meat...

This was one of the old school places that brought everything out in the covered serving platters.

Man I miss Chinese food sometimes.
No too friendly to my diet these days.

I do make homemade beef and broccoli occasionally.

View Quote

Mmmm love Chinese food.

When I was in College we'd drive to Chinatown for Dim Sum at probably some of the best spots outside of Hong Kong.

Amazing.

Nowadays I try to find a good spot when I move somewhere else wise we just make it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Honestly there are 2 reasons I use that for lanyards.  One is it's thick and relatively stiff so makes for something to actually grab on to when the knife is tucked deep in a pocket or sheath.  Two is that of all the different knots out there, this one is relatively easy to tie well even for me.  Once you do a few and get the hang of holding 2 strands with your middle, ring and pinky, while pulling the other 2 strands tight with your thumb and index, you can just go to town and knock them out.  The weaving is in big loops so there's no threading the needle or chasing slack through a weave.
View Quote

If I get brave, I may have to try some. I need some lanyards and was going to see about MrSig239s options, but there is something to be said for doing it oneself. Plus i might have to loop the cord in before I start tying knots.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#17]

I wasn't all that impressed with it. Nice thick cuts but not much flavor.
View Quote

Tragic finale.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#18]

The first Chinese I ever had was at a higher quality Cantonese style restaurant.
I've never had any other that compared. They had the best egg drop and hot and sour ever but all of their food was top notch. I never doubted the origins of their meat...

This was one of the old school places that brought everything out in the covered serving platters.

Man I miss Chinese food sometimes.
No too friendly to my diet these days.

I do make homemade beef and broccoli occasionally.

View Quote

There is no label to tell you it is not keto, so...
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]

That blade logo is absolutely insane. It takes a very good laser to get that much detail in a logo that small.

View Quote

It is well done.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Wisconsin?
View Quote

Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I know, just had to bust some balls! It is very well done, for sure.

You should see the "office knife" lasering GEC did a while back. (Again I fail at finding good images to link up.) LO fucking L.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#22]

I assumed this was what you were referring to earlier. Must've been the S90V one. That was a good deal!

I like it a lot. Much more "me" than the NeOn and HatiOn were.

It's an old school F95 on washers, traded the Maximus towards it. Flies open, very nice hydraulic close. Not drop shut, but looser than CRK, for example.
View Quote

To me the F series is an ideal blade size. the way Shiro makes a blade that big without making the knife big is pretty impressive. Next to the Holt, my F95t probably has the best action in my collection. And their CF milling is pretty nice.

and no, I did know about that trade because I went in to look at the Shiro on washers. I have only had a 110 Axis lock on washers from Shiro and it was not broken in, so I have wondered how they are. I have heard they are pretty darn good. You will have to play with it more and report.

I was calling dibs on the 0620 you grabbed.

What S90V one?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

Wisconsin.
View Quote

W  I  S  C  O  N  S  I  N
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#24]
*MAX* Monday. Couldn't decide, so...

1. MAXamet
https://i.imgur.com/QDRLhqa.jpg

2. ElMAX
https://i.imgur.com/fBpKetJ.jpg
View Quote

F95?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#25]

That's a cool picture, scales and glasses are awesome
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
The pattern is stunning.
View Quote

It is. It's crazy in person
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#27]

That's a cool picture, scales and glasses are awesome
View Quote

Thanks! The scales are darkening up in damn near a camo pattern, I’m liking it. Glasses are from Ben Shot down the road from the Cow.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#28]
It's that time of the year gentlemen.. St. Joseph's is upon us.  Because Easter is so early this year, the Feast of St. Joseph's is early as well.  It's a fat pill time of year.  These start when the famous Polish "punch-kees" end.

Zeppoli St. Giuseppe are a sweet, thin crust pastry filled with vanilla or chocolate pastry cream or ricotta cannoli filling.  Vanilla is the overwhelming favorite (pictured).  With a nice double espresso, these things are awesome.  They age you geometrically but they are yummy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#29]
that's not keto

wood smash
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

Thanks! The scales are darkening up in damn near a camo pattern, I’m liking it. Glasses are from Ben Shot down the road from the Cow.
View Quote

up the road
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Neighbors were out of town last week so I shoveled a little, brought packages in doors for them. Nothing major. They caught me doing it on their ring doorbell.

Today they dropped off a little thank you. They're almost as bad as the neighbor that brings BBQ treats.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#36]
bourbon is good in coffee too...

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
This made me laugh! Making my nightly Ebay search list. I  love reading the conversation in this thread. Whiskey, knots, knves, brats
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#38]

To me the F series is an ideal blade size. the way Shiro makes a blade that big without making the knife big is pretty impressive. Next to the Holt, my F95t probably has the best action in my collection. And their CF milling is pretty nice.

and no, I did know about that trade because I went in to look at the Shiro on washers. I have only had a 110 Axis lock on washers from Shiro and it was not broken in, so I have wondered how they are. I have heard they are pretty darn good. You will have to play with it more and report.

What S90V one?
View Quote

Ah, that makes sense. I thought you had one already for some reason or I probably would've guessed that first.

Nothing we haven't seen plenty of in here already.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#39]

F95?
View Quote

Yes, see above. Old school one on washers. Awesome.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Did you find anything in there?

Is your phone stuck to your hand, with your other hand stuck to your hair or a wad of paper towels or something? I'm having a visual here of Clark Griswold after setting up the Christmas tree.
View Quote

Nope. Absolutely nothing. The damn thing had this dense underlayer of branches so I just started whacking away at different angles to clear it up.

I also need to work on my accuracy. I'd swing hard into the branches and cut half way in but then miss By two inches on the next swing
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#41]
https://i.imgur.com/dRVekfH.jpg
View Quote

Even better a Hati.
That's hot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#42]

OP went ninja on that mofo.

View Quote

It's a lot of fun

But really messy. A lot of sap for a tree that's been sitting out for a while with no water.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#43]
The devil is in the details they say.

https://i.imgur.com/8tKehwr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1RBlrcd.jpg
View Quote

Rick's laser work is pretty awesome
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Ah, that makes sense. I thought you had one already for some reason or I probably would've guessed that first.

Nothing we haven't seen plenty of in here already.
View Quote

You're a horrible fucking tease.

Never mind, I did see what you grabbed in S90V. No idea how good the price was, it was gone by the time I saw it. If it was just a bit longer, it would intrigue me too. Really nice mill work.

But I want that 0620 at the price you paid. Damn son. Good grab.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:19:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#45]

View Quote

Mine have that cool oil slick look to them. It's neat.

Also very detailed and durable markings
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#46]

What S90V one?
View Quote

The blade and handle shapes that Shiro use are very impressive. Even the small knives have decent sized blades and still great in the hand.

I want to know more about this S90V as well
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By conndcj:
It's that time of the year gentlemen.. St. Joseph's is upon us.  Because Easter is so early this year, the Feast of St. Joseph's is early as well.  It's a fat pill time of year.  These start when the famous Polish "punch-kees" end.

Zeppoli St. Giuseppe are a sweet, thin crust pastry filled with vanilla or chocolate pastry cream or ricotta cannoli filling.  Vanilla is the overwhelming favorite (pictured).  With a nice double espresso, these things are awesome.  They age you geometrically but they are yummy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60239/20210222_201419_jpg-1837411.JPG
View Quote

I barely noticed the confection. The decadent Shiro distracted me

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Mine have that cool oil slick look to them. It's neat.

Also very detailed and durable markings
View Quote

So they won't wipe off after breaking down a single box like some makers'?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#49]

The blade and handle shapes that Shiro use are very impressive. Even the small knives have decent sized blades and still great in the hand.

I want to know more about this S90V as well
View Quote

You of all people will find it most familiar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#50]

You're a horrible fucking tease.

Never mind, I did see what you grabbed in S90V. No idea how good the price was, it was gone by the time I saw it. If it was just a bit longer, it would intrigue me too. Really nice mill work.

But I want that 0620 at the price you paid. Damn son. Good grab.

View Quote

My kids are too young to tease very much. I make up for it on you guys.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3127
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top