Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3129
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

New food and knife pics!
View Quote

No bowhunting trophies this year. Rifle season is for freezer fillin. I’ve got some special marinades in store for this guy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish I could have gone out this year.
Didnt have a spot to hunt on and Corona screwed up manpower any damn ways....
Buddy of mine took a nice doe and a button buck with his 6.5 Swede....

I love deer meat.
Congrats.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]

That'll be good eatin. I NEED to restock my venison supply this year.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

cream cheese, mozzarella, and egg.

ETA - Wife just sent me the link:

Kirbie's Cravings Low Carb Keto Lasagna
View Quote

Interesting
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

No bowhunting trophies this year. Rifle season is for freezer fillin. I’ve got some special marinades in store for this guy.
View Quote

Still nice. Winner winner deer dinner
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#7]

You had me at pickled jalapeños
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3xpert:
https://i.imgur.com/rc3zi8F.jpg

You had me at pickled jalapeños

This is how it went down, had nothing planned for dinner so I used ingredients I had in the fridge/freezer.

Black Angus sirloin and Rib eye,
La Banderita Flour tortillas.
1 Red and 1 Green Bell pepper, 1 yellow onion. And jalapeno's in a jar.
Kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, Montreal seasoning, worcestershire sauce.
Provolone Cheese from Wisconsin.
1 16oz can of Schlitz beer.
The rest is up to your imagination.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Knife thread

Trader Joe's used to have awesome Inca Corn so when I saw some at Sprouts I was excited but..... Not great
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

MEAT IS MURDER!!!!

(tasty, tasty murder but murder nonetheless)
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Says a guy with a molle clip on his watch
View Quote

I picture you like a used car sales man. You wear ties, but they are typically loose and too short and they have stains from a number of different meals and your dress pants have bicycle chain oil on them.

We can't all be that classy Donut.

Looking at the clip it is Steel Flame for Emerson.  Whatever. I like what I like. Deal with it.

I will wear it tomorrow just for you.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

What makes you think that my days can be any more agonizing? My kids already employ psychological warfare that I'm pretty sure would violate the Geneva convention if it were carried out by a state actor.
View Quote

That's fair.

I'm glad they're doing it, cause I'm a lover not a fighter.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
His cost is tied up in his process.
View Quote

Yeah, I was reading that on his website. "The way I do it it is actually less time consuming to make one by hand."

OK... I like the precision, looks like a good design, but I can only come up with two reasons for him doing it the way he is.

1. He sucks at making knives by hand and this is the only way he can do what he loves. Which is fine, but he is using a mass production process to seemingly produce less than mass quantities and charging more for less. Math doesn't work out.

2. He really really sucks at business and doesn't understand that number of hours spent in CNC production programming does not equate to price to charge for end product on a small production scale and the only way to make the numbers work is to produce more and sell at a lower price point. So his math doesn't work here either.

If his math is so bad, maybe we should be worried about his programming skills?

It could be a very nice knife, but at that price, I am not willing to try it out.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]

You killed a baby? Aren't they born with a couple prongs?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

View Quote

The young ones taste sooooo good.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

That's what I get for going from memory. Lol

I swear you've posted pics of a knife at least similar to one of his. I'll go back and see if I can find it.
ETA: the pic is gone. I think the last one you posted that had it in there was a "family photo" that had knives in a couple of rows. Poor lighting, posted fairly late at night, iirc.  Blade has a satin or stonewashed finish with black scales. Definitely not the Gulso with the white liners.

He's big into CNC.  I heard him talking on a podcast and he said that he tries to keep everything done on machines except when there's a "value added" for doing work by hand.
View Quote

Value added? I don't want skynet making my knives, I want a burly salty sumbitch sweating at the forge so I know my knife was made with love and tears. There's the added value.

No idea what knife you are referencing in the collection. My CPK? Here's another pic of all my fixed blades in poor lighting for you.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Value added? I don't want skynet making my knives, I want a burly salty sumbitch sweating at the forge so I know my knife was made with love and tears. There's the added value.

No idea what knife you are referencing in the collection. My CPK? Here's another pic of all my fixed blades in poor lighting for you.

https://i.imgur.com/ssKCTeE.jpg

View Quote

It was the top one.

It does seem pretty weird that the dude makes the same knife over and over on CNC machines and still charges hand made money for them.

If he can make a living at it though, more power to him.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Naa. I’ve shot them smaller, but never with spots. Although I guarantee it would be real fucking good. You no like veal?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
GD has enlightened me to grilled cheese

That said, I had a bagel sometime in the morning and I’m looking forward to eating dinner. I might do a grilled cheese...
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
I wish I could have gone out this year.
Didnt have a spot to hunt on and Corona screwed up manpower any damn ways....
Buddy of mine took a nice doe and a button buck with his 6.5 Swede....

I love deer meat.
Congrats.
View Quote

I don’t have a spot either. I’ve got friends who know the right people and they are always texting me pictures of the monster 200”+ bucks they shot on some guy’s private 2k acres. Domestic deer, qdma, trail cams documenting their every move and shit. Paradise in the woods.

I hunt state land where the other poors will steal your tree stand.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Naa. I’ve shot them smaller, but never with spots. Although I guarantee it would be real fucking good. You no like veal?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By maleante:

That said, I had a bagel sometime in the morning and I'm looking forward to eating dinner. I might do a grilled cheese...
View Quote
Oooooo those look tasty.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#23]

That said, I had a bagel sometime in the morning and I’m looking forward to eating dinner. I might do a grilled cheese...
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 3xpert:

This is how it went down, had nothing planned for dinner so I used ingredients I had in the fridge/freezer.

Black Angus sirloin and Rib eye,
La Banderita Flour tortillas.
1 Red and 1 Green Bell pepper, 1 yellow onion. And jalapeno's in a jar.
Kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, Montreal seasoning, worcestershire sauce.
Provolone Cheese from Wisconsin.
1 16oz can of Schlitz beer.
The rest is up to your imagination.
View Quote

Looks great for scavenging out of the fridge
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Those scales are slick. He finished them just right.

C4 doesn't have enough caffeine
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#26]

I picture you like a used car sales man. You wear ties, but they are typically loose and too short and they have stains from a number of different meals and your dress pants have bicycle chain oil on them.

We can't all be that classy Donut.

Looking at the clip it is Steel Flame for Emerson.  Whatever. I like what I like. Deal with it.

I will wear it tomorrow just for you.

View Quote

I can't remember the last time I wore a tie.

Or dress pants....

Maybe my friend's funeral a few years ago but I probably wore jeans.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm a process kind of guy but I just don't see it there.
View Quote
He makes knives about the most expensive way possible, by hard milling them complete.  Then justifies it with the assertion it's to provide the best product possible when in reality he's just trying to gain walk away time.

People buying his knives are essentially paying for his developing a way to take as much labor as possible out of the process

Not that I have anything against machining knives. But you won't hear Dauntless or Carothers spout some of the justifications Gough does, because they're job shops that make knives with down time, not knifemakers who set their machine up and walk away for 8 hours.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Yeah, I was reading that on his website. "The way I do it it is actually less time consuming to make one by hand."

OK... I like the precision, looks like a good design, but I can only come up with two reasons for him doing it the way he is.

1. He sucks at making knives by hand and this is the only way he can do what he loves. Which is fine, but he is using a mass production process to seemingly produce less than mass quantities and charging more for less. Math doesn't work out.

2. He really really sucks at business and doesn't understand that number of hours spent in CNC production programming does not equate to price to charge for end product on a small production scale and the only way to make the numbers work is to produce more and sell at a lower price point. So his math doesn't work here either.

It could be a very nice knife, but at that price, I am not willing to try it out.

View Quote
No you're on track. It's unnecessary expense. I won't say he sucks at making knives but his track record previous to getting his machine operation online was to develop ways to make hand making less "hand" like the bevel filing jig he came up with.

He's a lot like snax in some ways.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#30]

https://i.imgur.com/ssKCTeE.jpg

View Quote

Damn. A lot of Gulso in that pic
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I appreciate the approach,it’s what I would probably have to do to “make” a knife,but he needs to recognize the economics of his business model.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

A couple of those look pretty tasty.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#33]
https://i.imgur.com/St1HbsB.jpg
View Quote

Cut the steak with the Karambit,
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#34]
It's how I got the steak to the plate.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Damn. A lot of Gulso in that pic
View Quote

Say what you will about the guy, but he makes a decent knife.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

It was the top one.

It does seem pretty weird that the dude makes the same knife over and over on CNC machines and still charges hand made money for them.

If he can make a living at it though, more power to him.
View Quote

The CPK costs less than AG's and it uses steel crafted through voodoo witchcraft using taurine and kryptonite.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#37]

https://i.imgur.com/9WHw6Lh.gif
View Quote

Choot Em!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80085] [#38]
Rockin out with my lodge out! I would typically use my comal to do a sandwich, but this was already out from my bagel in the morning (fried a jalapeno loaf slice to put on top). You’ll notice two things, 1. the surface is not so smooth but what can you expect for $12, and 2. the pan heats unevenly as seen in the bread.

One slice of mozzarella and one slice of white American “cheese”. Dukes mayo on the sides.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#39]
https://i.imgur.com/St1HbsB.jpg
View Quote
How were the mushrooms?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#40]
Rockin out with my lodge out! I would typically use my comal to do a sandwich, but this was already out from my bagel in the morning (fried a jalapeno loaf slice to put on top). You'll notice two things, 1. the surface is not so smooth but what can you expect for $12, and 2. the pan heats unevenly as seen in the bread.

One slice of mozzarella and one slice of white American "cheese". Dukes mayo on the sides.

https://i.imgur.com/tjivwF5.jpg
View Quote
Edges not in contact is my supposition or poor butter dispersal.

This thing is great but doesn't get used often. Takes a while to pre-heat and it is hard to find a place to set it while you flip stuff. I don't like all of my sandwiches squished, but for like a thick Reuben that is never going to heat up inside just laying on the pan without burning the bread it rocks. I've worked on all of my lodges a little but that one's is rougher than I ever recall mine.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#41]
He makes knives about the most expensive way possible, by hard milling them complete.  Then justifies it with the assertion it's to provide the best product possible when in reality he's just trying to gain walk away time.

People buying his knives are essentially paying for his developing a way to take as much labor as possible out of the process

Not that I have anything against machining knives. But you won't hear Dauntless or Carothers spout some of the justifications Gough does, because they're job shops that make knives with down time, not knifemakers who set their machine up and walk away for 8 hours.
View Quote

I like processes and machining wizardry.

To me his knives are bland as fuck for what he's doing. I mean if you're going to set it and forget it then things could really stand out but the knives. To me they look kinda shradeish and the materials don't really do it for me.

Minimalistic approaches are one thing but this just seems lazy and a waste of resources or imagination.

Lots of guys are using these tools but some just do it better
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

But it has SuperHUMAN PERFORMANCE

It says so right on the can?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#43]
No you're on track. It's unnecessary expense. I won't say he sucks at making knives but his track record previous to getting his machine operation online was to develop ways to make hand making less "hand" like the bevel filing jig he came up with.

View Quote

Snecx for his OCD at least makes things interesting. Granted they're at vastly different price points but Snecx is at least imaginative
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I know a guy with the nickname "Snax"....he isnt particularly well liked for a number of reasons, not the least of which is playing shit cheap.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Rockin out with my lodge out! I would typically use my comal to do a sandwich, but this was already out from my bagel in the morning (fried a jalapeno loaf slice to put on top). You’ll notice two things, 1. the surface is not so smooth but what can you expect for $12, and 2. the pan heats unevenly as seen in the bread.

One slice of mozzarella and one slice of white American “cheese”. Dukes mayo on the sides.

View All Quotes

That does look rough, but consistent with the Lodge cookware I have had in the past.

How can you get excited about doing a grilled cheese, then proceed to use American?

Originally Posted By sywagon:
How were the mushrooms?

Special item at Aldi. Cold by the time I got to them. And I don't think they were cooked all the way through the mushroom bit. They were fine, not great.
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Edges not in contact is my supposition or poor butter dispersal.
https://i.imgur.com/ebRCsyO.jpg
This thing is great but doesn't get used often. Takes a while to pre-heat and it is hard to find a place to set it while you flip stuff. I don't like all of my sandwiches squished, but for like a thick Reuben that is never going to heat up inside just laying on the pan without burning the bread it rocks. I've worked on all of my lodges a little but that one's is rougher than I ever recall mine.

I have/had one of those, rectangular one. Never used it for the reasons you cite. Great idea for the reasons you cite.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I appreciate the approach,it’s what I would probably have to do to “make” a knife,but he needs to recognize the economics of his business model.
View Quote

Unless you're doing something special but...
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#47]
It's how I got the steak to the plate.
View Quote

One of my first cool knives was a Karambit. Kinda a specialized tool.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:26:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#48]

View Quote

Boo to the mayo.

Yay M390
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Unless you're doing something special but...
View Quote

Exactly. It isn't delta 3V or picturesque damascus.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#50]

One of my first cool knives was a Karambit. Kinda a specialized tool.
View Quote

It is. It is kind of the quintessential Emerson to me, embodying his underlying principles. This one came to me heavily carried and it shows, but still has factory edge. Razor sharp, doesn't look like it has ever cut. We will see if it gets carried.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3129
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top