User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/17/2020 1:59:48 PM EDT
step in....
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
We got to chunk exactly 1 each. After that it was practice grenades.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm just here for the .gif
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been around clumsy people that drop things. Not .mil, but I would be the one next to the guy who pulled the pin and accidentally dropped the thing....how many seconds do you have at that point?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
In before the Glock jokes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Not infantry, but 2 days after we threw our 2 (I think) live grenades in BCT a drill sergeant and a trainee were killed on the grenade range

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/11/27/Human-error-caused-soldiers-deaths/7434564987600/
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been around clumsy people that drop things. Not .mil, but I would be the one next to the guy who pulled the pin and accidentally dropped the thing....how many seconds do you have at that point?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
1 live during Basic. Lots of sim grenades throughout. Mostly during EIB.

We did do a sweet live fire bunker assault in Latvia. Tossed a live grenade in and rolled away.

But not much training with them. Throwing random grenades is frowned upon in the current conflicts.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have a very long time - the rest of your life, in fact.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was at Fort Leonard Wood it sounded like Grenades.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rest of your life.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#12]
If the guy next to you drops a live grenade, just pick it up and toss it.  An alternative method is to drop on it.  

(sarcasm)
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]
For as small as those things are, they're awfully heavy. The concussive force they produce is impressive. They really pack a punch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
step in....
View Quote

Every single army soldier gets to throw a live grenade. Everyone in basic training is infantry.
I believe I threw 2 of them. Lots of practice leading up to that moment. Not something you want to screw up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Grenades , C4, claymores, Tows, stinger, dragon , javelin,and fucking guns galore . Go talk
To your local recruiter. You too will have stories to tell .
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm left handed.  'Nuff said, I know.  But the first grenade I threw in training, the Sgt. carefully put it in my left palm in an upside down backwards position I KNEW was going to be a disaster.  I followed his instructions and the grenade landed like 10 feet in front of us.  Everyone had to dive into the pits before it went off.

After that, I did it my way!

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Threw 2 in basic.... I threw the second one a lot further than I threw the first one  
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#18]
1 after basic during training, not including deployment. During the training an E-7 told me to drop to the prone position as some soldiers had thrown a grenade into the tree line which seemed to me like it was a football field far away so what’s the problem? But some shrapnel had traveled in our direction and he said don’t underestimate the maximum distance shrapnel can travel
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Once upon a time, I went to the range with a unit that was demobing and not being replaced.  They had cases upon cases of frags, claymores, AT4s...and no way to return them as the ASP was closing as well.  

It was a long day.  Interesting how different the claymores with the shock tube were from the ones back in the day that were electric with the clacker.  

I am old.  It's bad when you are like "Hey, they have new claymores with these funny tube things instead of wires"...WTF.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
The only reason I got to throw more than one (in basic) was because I was a medic assigned to cover a grenade/claymore range. We had an entire company fail to show for training because of some reason I can't remember, so all the range cadre got to toss a bunch.

We also daisy chained six claymores together, because it was taking too long to deploy them all individually (we'd waited most of the day to see whether the company was going to make it or not). So we had six in a little arc facing a mostly buried tractor tire that was the grenade target. When the LT clacked it off a 12 inch square piece of tire flew over the berm and landed way over by where our vehicles were parked. I remember the LT looking like he was going to get into trouble and checking that everybody was OK, then he said, "Maybe six was too many." It was hilarious, just his semi scared-kid tone.

We set them off in pairs after that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#21]
The way they train you and with the death grip you get on the fucker, you’d have a be a complete moron to drop one.  
That said, I was disappointed there wasn’t more fireball.  The feeling you get in your chest when it goes off was cool, but for me it was literally a last resort tool I carried that I never ever wanted to be in the situation to NEED.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
The key is to count to ten slowly before tossing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Training wise, we threw a couple live ones in osut and multiple "live spoon" training grenades to qualify on the grenade range. We basically did the same thing through deployment readiness cycles at active units. We'd also use live ones during live fire exercises. Was it a weekly thing? No. But you were familiar with them.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The small reaction force I was on in VN had range practice days. We took an AF guy who wanted to fire some weapons, including throwing live grenades. We gave him the appropriate instructions, then he proceeded to throw one sidearm that hit the top of the safety berm and rolled back toward us.

I don't know if it was put there on purpose or if the monsoon rains caused it, but the grenade rolled into a trench at the bottom of the berm. We'd all hit the deck and the grenade blew up and not out. We got dirty, but there were no injuries except for some soiled pants.

That was the last time we took anyone with us.

Throwing grenades and SOS are the only things I miss about the Army.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]
After basic I didn't throw another live grenade until deployment training 17 years later. Not that there wasn't live demo and blowing stuff up in the intervening years. Just no live  hand grenades. I even recall mentioning it during the deployment training.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#26]
1 live one in infantry school. But maybe two years later, we were doing grenade training and they had a pallet of them. Everyone had to throw at least one. Most didn't want to throw a second, so I got back in line about ten times. So several of us tried to see who could throw farther. I played baseball in high school and had a pretty good arm. You can't throw those things very far, even with the crow hop.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#27]
1 live yearly. Bluebodies in training. Occasional flashbangs too.

As many live as I wanted in OIF. Had a connex box 'armory' for my platoon, it was a help yourself type situation.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve thrown lots of them in Graf, but only because I was the range medic.  Once, when I I was on the line to throw (there’s a large wall made of reinforced concrete IIRC in front of you that, after you throw over it you hit the deck) a Soldier directly next to me and to my right literally just dropped it over the wall so it was at the base of it on the opposite side.

The range safety NCO grabbed me and threw me down and covered my body with his screaming “this is going to be close!”  And it was.  Shrapnel fell in between my Kevlar and my flak jacket (meaning the back of my neck).  It was extremely hot leaving a burn and I cut my fingers pulling it out from under my gear.  We brushed the shrapnel off both of us and that was that.  Nothing happened to the idiot who did that
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Everyone throws 1 or 2 live grenades in basic training. I forget how many. The rest of the time it's with practice grenades.

We did sometimes have 1 person per platoon throw a live grenade when we'd do some field exercises.

It's honestly not all that exciting, you are in a pit, hold it a certain way, pull the pin, make the dumb body position, throw, get down, then it explodes and a few seconds later you get up. Movie explosions are way more interesting because you get to see it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Never was in the service but this starts at 37 seconds in

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Once upon a time, I went to the range with a unit that was demobing and not being replaced.  They had cases upon cases of frags, claymores, AT4s...and no way to return them as the ASP was closing as well.  

It was a long day.  Interesting how different the claymores with the shock tube were from the ones back in the day that were electric with the clacker.  

I am old.  It's bad when you are like "Hey, they have new claymores with these funny tube things instead of wires"...WTF.  

View Quote

I've been out a while myself.
I don't recall seeing anything but the claymores with the clackers
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Long time ago at Ft. Jackson I remember seeing white crosses entering the grenade range.  They were for those who screwed up.  Heard a day earlier someone dropped one and the DI managed to kick it into the pit in front of the wall.  Qualified "expert" in grenade
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Everyone in basic training is infantry.
View Quote

In theory, maybe....

I threw two at Fort Benning. And one in Scotland. Did some live claymores at Fort Campbell. Don’t recall throwing any other live ones during training, but I was the platoon RTO for much of my time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Some of got to use live grenade in training after BCT and OSUT. Usually in each live fire exercise one or two guys would get one for a specific task.. like fragging a bunker. I did that a few times.

I actually never threw a live one in BCT. There was a safety issue at the range and for a brief period they could only use practice grenades.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes,

No stories really,  when I was enlisted we did it in the late 80’s at OSUT.

When I became an officer I was a Range Officer for one or two grenade courses. NCO’s did all the work. I drank coffee and tried to stay out of their way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Training wise, we threw a couple live ones in osut and multiple "live spoon" training grenades to qualify on the grenade range. We basically did the same thing through deployment readiness cycles at active units. We'd also use live ones during live fire exercises. Was it a weekly thing? No. But you were familiar with them.  
View Quote

Hear about the soldier killed this month during live fire?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm going to tell on myself a bit here. I separated my AC wrestling in High School (a year before I went to basic). It didn't heal right and I didn't have full range of motion in my arm.

When we went to the grenade range they had us throw dummies before we threw our two live grenades. The instructors saw my pitiful attempts and told the Drill Sergeants there was no way they were going to let me throw a live grenade. I'd kill myself and the instructor. At this point I was cruising. I wasn't a fuck-up, qualified expert, and was maxing my APFT. Now I was going to be recycled because I can't throw a grenade.

One DS took pity on me. The day before graduation he took me out to the grenade range. Just me and him. He told me if I killed us he was going to butt-fuck my soul for eternity. This was my make or break moment. I leaned back and chucked that grenade with all of my strength. It landed a pitifuly short distance beyond the berm. We hit the ground and were showered with dirt. The DS, visibly shaken, said "if anyone asks, you threw two fucking grenades. Get in the fucking car."

I deployed shortly after and gave all my grenades to my buddies.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hear about the soldier killed this month during live fire?
View Quote

No. unit/where at?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes. In recruit training and in the fleet. As a lefty, I was taught to hold the grenade upside down in order to remove the safety clip and pull the pin with the right hand while keeping the spoon safely in the web of my hand. It was a very awkward feeling, since I had done it the "normal" feeling way with dummy grenades as a kid.

Aside from that, you removed the safety clip, pulled the pin, threw the grenade, hit the deck, it went BOOM, small pieces of shrapnel rained down on you, rinse and repeat. I have a film canister full of shrapnel pieces and several pins kept as souvenirs.

I remember the grenades were all from 1969 and 1970s production lots. They must have made millions of them during Vietnam for us to still be using them up in the 80s-90s...

One trip to the grenade range on Pendleton, the unit ahead of us had a boot loo-tennant that was having his Marines throw grenades in volleys, against the safety regulations. If one of the grenades in the volley was a dud or had a delayed fuze, the blast from the others could cause it to be blown back into the safe area of the range and explode. There was much yelling and cursing at said ell-tee.

One grenade-range day at 29 Palms, we had a dud in the impact area. The grenade was thrown and no BOOM. After a certain amount of time the range was closed and EOD was called out. The EOD guy had to go out into the impact area, find the dud and disarm it. After thousands of grenades explode in the same area, the dirt is pulverized into fine powder, like talc. The dud grenades tend to sink in and can be hard to find. EOD man found the grenade and unscrewed the fuze from the body to inert it and put the parts into an ammo can. Fuck that! Dude was crazy but cool as ice...
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#41]
How about posting the year you went thru training, be interesting to see how things changed.

I did my training at Lost in the Woods in '85.  We threw live grenades but don't remember how many.  I do remember getting to fire 8 LAW's with training rounds, they were rockets with no warhead.  That was fun as hell.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#42]
It’s not that exciting, it’s cool and some what unnerving the first time you run out with two live grenades. And of course at the safety brief you’re told some BS horror story about the kid that just came through and dropped a live grenade in his pit as he was reaching back to throw.

We ran a unit hand grenade range back in 2008-2009. It was kind of a pain in the ass. Setting everything up, the MOI and all the safety precautions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I actually threw a few in the years I was in.  The unit I was in the last few years actually had us go to the grenade range at least once between deployments. Not all of us to be sure, but a chunk of us anyway. And there was a time on deployment we needed to get rid of some, so we improvised a grenade range.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#44]
They make you feel retarded the first time you pull the pin. As if you're going to drop it no matter what. Most people do fine. As one guy above said, there's a lot of practice leading up to that 1 live throw. In Hohenfels we did grenade training with 2ea of the small grenades that actually fit the ammo pouch slots. We were the last company coming through the range and got to chuck all the leftover grenades down range. I threw 8 or 9 on top of the first 2 I threw an hour earlier. Enough to get comfortable with them.

(combat engineers, not inf)
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I've tossed maybe five to eight live grenades total during training (not a combat veteran).  They are surprisingly hard to throw in regards to distance and much louder than I originally imagined.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I was surpised how short the fuze was on the grenade that the dude fired out of the can cannon.  It must not have been longer than 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Yep one live fragmentation grenade in basic a couple of smokes.

Guy that was next after me bobbled a live grenade and the DI kicked it into the sump and straddled the dumbass on top of the sump and they were both fine after it went off...

That made for a little excitement.

Though we did have one trainee from an urban area who flipped out and started shooting at us and an unarmed DI
went after him...he tried to shoot the DI who dodged his efforts...disarmed him and then beat him with his own rifle
not sure if the ahole died or not as the senior DI made us all look away when they dragged him off the field and loaded him into the meat wagon...I tried to sneak a look and almost got my own ass beat...if he wasn't dead he was awefully close.

The DI had been a 1st Cav original with Hal Moore.

My Infantry units in VN ...there ya got to throw pretty much all the grenades you wanted...we even got to feed the locals by fishing off a bridge for them with concussion grenades...which was a whole lotta fun and the kids loved it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#49]
1 live during Basic Training.

Fort Leonard Wood MO.  

Summer of 1993.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Range 410A at 29 Palms - Marines crawled forward and dropped a frag into a trench.  Detonation occured just a few feet away, but the trench absorbed the blast.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top