Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3124
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

It was a rough couple of days after. I had to use texts and Uber receipts to try to piece the night together.

You ever try the flavored yogurt drink and Soju combos?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

I'm banned from Soju. Both Koreas came together to agree to it.

That's.....impressive.

Sounds like it's a better story than my Japan Cuervo story. Short version is that I dont drink Cuervo anymore.

It was a rough couple of days after. I had to use texts and Uber receipts to try to piece the night together.

You ever try the flavored yogurt drink and Soju combos?

No.

I didnt eat yogurt back then, and I havent touched So-Ju since.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
https://i.imgur.com/qQZOPGh.jpg

Wife made chicken stock so I stole some to make hot and sour soup
View Quote

Oof. I love Hot and Sour soup. Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:
People are funny in what they justify for themselves. I can't understand flashlight collections, but hey, if it does something for those people, great.

As for the mouse pad, I still feel no shame. This isn't 1999. Mouse pad? gives me memories of the old roller ball mice. Although ironically, rollor ball would work fine on glass where the laser fails.

If I was to get one, I would have to take a page out of Kuraki's book and get one of these.
View Quote

I didnt understand flashlight collections until I became a cop and started working half my life in the dark around interesting and stupid people.
A good flashlight is incredibly useful at times.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Just came back today with some new pants

https://i.imgur.com/fA921lT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aZMzsVu.jpg

View Quote

Are they Break Away pants?

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Something different than Bang.

Tried a pic in the Japanese Maple tree out front

Took a bunch, saved this one.

Cell phone camera is handy and allows me to take more frequent photo's quickly, but auto focus is annoying sometimes. Flash is too white as well.
I might have to drag out the DSLR and tripod and revisit this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:01:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#6]
Chromebook is a lot of speed, lot of battery, for a lot less money. It is the way of the intelligent.

Not calling you out, just saying...

Nice pics.
View Quote
So I have one laptop that is a work build with win 10 that I use for only that. VPN to their network and I get access to everything. Then I have my wife that is now remote and I handle all of her tech issues. Those are daily and she isn't a natural at it. So that one has to be win 10 to make my life slightly easier. My desktop is Linux. And there is a box for the tv in addition that is in some old android crap that never stopped needing manual updates that required setting it all back up to even work so I stopped using it. Cool little box though. So suffice it to say my laptop is Win 10 and if I'm paying a bit more it is for my mental health.

ETA - also not calling anyone out but I did look at chromebooks and looked again - this would still be my choice.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-HP-15-dy1074nr-15-6-HD-Laptop-Intel-i3-1005G-8G-256G-Win-10/143569361202?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#7]
Chromebook for mental health.

If there is an issue, which is exceedingly rare, you turn it off, turn it back on, problem solved.

I used to be a Windows guy. Wasted a lot of time fixing stuff.

Then I was an Apple guy. Spent a lot of money upfront to avoid having to fix stuff.

Now I'm a Chromebook guy. Lots of time and money to spare so I can buy knives and postwhore.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

You know it. Emersons are stupid easy to break down.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/C4-1381127.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Slimfoot-1381128.jpg

Cell phone camera is handy and allows me to take more frequent photo's quickly, but auto focus is annoying sometimes. Flash is too white as well.
The lines on that knife are so nice. Work of art.

I got an email today...finally...
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#9]

I didnt understand flashlight collections until I became a cop and started working half my life in the dark around interesting and stupid people.
A good flashlight is incredibly useful at times.
View Quote
Sure. I get it. We own flashlights. But I don't collect them.

I look at flashlights the way many would probably look at knife collecting.

And even with a good flashlight, you are probably still in the dark most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Chromebook for mental health.

If there is an issue, which is exceedingly rare, you turn it off, turn it back on, problem solved.

I used to be a Windows guy. Wasted a lot of time fixing stuff.

Then I was an Apple guy. Spent a lot of money upfront to avoid having to fix stuff.

Now I'm a Chromebook guy. Lots of time and money to spare so I can buy knives and postwhore.

View Quote
See edit. I might revisit when I need to replace mine but I don't see any with specs that compare for the price.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Getting ready to start a fire.  At the end of April. Lol

I had to work outside in the rain all day today, so I've got that cold-ish damp feeling going on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:14:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#12]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
See edit. I might revisit when I need to replace mine but I don't see any with specs that compare for the price.
View Quote
It works different. You can't compare side by side specs between the two OSs. You don't need all the oomph because it is a MUCH lighter OS. Windows has been making changes in the last decade, first to be more like Apple and then to be more like Chromebook, and yet failing because of their OS. On the one hand Windows is great in format because of everything you can do, it is so accessible, but on the other, it becomes very cumbersome as you add on to it and is vulnerable to attack. Chrome is neither, it is quick and secure.

If you need to run Office or CAD programs, etc, Chromebooks won't help because they will not run software that needs to sit on a hardrive, but for the average person, it is an ideal setup because it is easy to use, fast, secure and pretty much maintenance free. I am able to do 99% of my work on Chrome. Still have an old PC for when someone sends a document in Word that is redlined. Pricks. Hate using that computer. But Office online still sucks, so it is the only way. I suppose I could start using my Mac mini, but that is hooked up to the TV. Don't like using the TV for work. Very weird...
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
you need to spend some time with them.

Many can't appreciate a CRK until spending time with them. I still feel like retail on those is way overinflated too.

It's how they feel in the hand. There's something about them.

But I agree on the Emerson customs. I am not big on bolsters to start with, but with the Po'Boy option, why get a custom?
View Quote

The custom in question was on a mat next to a Koenig and a Tuff knives and looked ghetto compared to the other two especially being similarly priced
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Having to re-write this so I'm blowing off going back to find the quotes.

I have a Logitech for my home desktop but never use that machine other than backups. At work I have on of the classic mechanical ones that is real clicky and snappy. Can't go take a pic but I've had it for decades now from my first desktop with Win 97. About like this one on ebay for $270 for collectors. Apparently the gamers like them too.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JN0AAOSwv8FdzVQL/s-l1600.jpg

My laptop is ~3-4 year old Lenovo with the reversible screen that goes into tablet mode. Fuck that - the hinges are indestructible but they will break the case. I just got my wife an HP from ebay (new legit one) for $500 with the 10th gen i3, 256gb ss, 8gb ram and a nice touchscreen - best deal around after a lot of shopping. It screams and has huge battery life. Forget any higher i level if it isn't the current gen.. Oh and Win. 10 - I don't even want to know what a Chromebook is.

Pic thread - a bug and a mug.

https://i.imgur.com/QjCsne4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UY2b8DC.jpg
View Quote

Like the bug, not so much the mug.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Good colors.

View Quote

Thanks. My after shot didn't turn out. Weird natural light
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have the fancy desk but I do have a pretty nice clicky key Logitech keyboard. It's lighted too. Good for late night shitposting.

Oh, and a knaf.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Like the bug, not so much the mug.
View Quote
The mug is my least favorite so far but it is heavy, solid, and well done overall. It looks a bit better in real life - actually more green than blue. It definitely has more of a "production" feel however than I was looking for in spite of being handmade in the USA. My wife on the other hand proclaimed it her favorite immediately
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#18]

No.

I didnt eat yogurt back then, and I havent touched So-Ju since.
View Quote

Good plan
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

Oof. I love Hot and Sour soup. Looks awesome.
View Quote

My kid ate most of it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#20]

The custom in question was on a mat next to a Koenig and a Tuff knives and looked ghetto compared to the other two especially being similarly priced
View Quote

What a snob...

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/C4-1381127.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Slimfoot-1381128.jpg

View Quote

That bottom picture is cool and it's an awesome spot. Can't wait to see what comes of it
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have the fancy desk but I do have a pretty nice clicky key Logitech keyboard. It's lighted too. Good for late night shitposting.

Oh, and a knaf.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20200422_193406_01-1381353.jpg
View Quote
I like that scale
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#23]
The mug is my least favorite so far but it is heavy, solid, and well done overall. It looks a bit better in real life - actually more green than blue. It definitely has more of a "production" feel however than I was looking for in spite of being handmade in the USA. My wife on the other hand proclaimed it her favorite immediately
View Quote
The base and some other elements are reminiscent of a Sunset Hill mug, but I don't see this lip style on a pot belly mug in their line up. What is it?

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#24]

I didn't get to choose.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Getting ready to start a fire.  At the end of April. Lol

I had to work outside in the rain all day today, so I've got that cold-ish damp feeling going on.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG0614_JPG-1381276.JPG
View Quote

A nice fire always feels good and it's been a weird spring.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Oh, and a knaf.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20200422_193406_01-1381353.jpg
View Quote

I like clicky keys.

And that knife
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

It just seems bulky. My wife is a huge fan of driving one handed because her coffee cups can't fit in cup holders.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I like that scale
View Quote

The attention to detail and precision in that scale is just one thing that makes the Hinderer > ZT Hinderers. I've tried to explain that to some of the chuckleheads that hurr durr about ZT making better Hinderers than Rick. The machining on this one is impeccable. Inside and out, the finish is perfect.

To see how they milled that scale to reveal the fishnet pattern perfectly in the two color layers...that takes some kind of precision to pull off.
Not that ZT probably couldn't do the same, but if they did, it would cost the same.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 0393 and 0562. They are great knives in their own right, but the Hinderer turns it up to 11 for sure.

I like clicky keys.

And that knife
View Quote

Mechanical keys are awesome. I love the feedback.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#29]

What a snob...

View Quote

It's the little things. Bolsters and scales with weird gaps are a turn off
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Never seen that in one of the customs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Wife grabbed something at the store

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Snob
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I like that scale
View Quote

Hinderer does really well on his scale textures
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#34]
A pic I took yesterday while I was looking in a box, that was full of boxes and loose ammo
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#35]
A pic I took yesterday while I was looking in a box, that was full of boxes and loose ammo

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I know most if not all of you think I am perfect, a god walking among mortals. Like Eros or Loki.

Well, I am indeed incredibly handsome and brilliant, and my cut calves and chiseled forearms are wonders of nature, but I am not the consummate man you all think I am and it weighs on me trying to keep up appearances so none of you become too dejected with the knowledge of my imperfections.

Nevertheless, I have been waiting for a mistake to share with you all to bring your expectations of me down a couple notches and help lighten my load.  It is exceedingly rare, but I do make mistakes.

Last night presented that opportunity.

Having just gotten my mini A100 back from getting new scales, I decided it was an opportune time to take it apart and clean it. It's not a regular mini A100, it is a special edition with S35VN blade steel and it had richlight scales which I had thought would be an improvement over the standard G10 scales. Unfortunately the richlight was the opposite of the G10, too smooth, and really didn't have the character I was looking for.

With the custom scales, the knife comes back a bit dusty. So I took it apart, scrubbed it down. While it was drying I thought I would take the opportunity to strop the edge of the blade. It wasn't dull, but it wasn't optimal. I gave it a few light strops. My sharpening area is in a dark corner in the basement so I turn around to inspect it up close in the light and drop the little fucker from eye level onto the hard hard concrete floor.

Well FML. I pick it up to inspect. Yep, yep, everything is looking good, until I look at the edge. Chips.  Horrible, ugly chips. Yep, yep, FML.

So I put it in the WE. Emersons have fairly broad edge grind, just on the show side. I need to get through the factory edge grind striations to have it look even so I start with 100 grit.

But I am hitting the large thumb disk. Frustrated, I pop it out of the WE, I take the thumb disk off, get the blade back in there and proceed to sharpen.

At. The. Wrong. #%^ing. Angle.

So what was a broad edge grind to begin with at what Emerson claims was 25-30 degrees has now been opened up using a 15 degree angle with the 100 grit stone.

Once again, FML.

I would not have guessed 25, maybe 17-18, but it certainly wasn't 15 degrees. Probably doubled the width of the edge grind by forgetting to move the angle from the last knife that was in there.

Damage done, I keep going to even it out. Stupid chips not coming out though.

By this point I am extremely frustrated and all out pissed at myself so I say fuck it and change the angle to 22 degrees. Few quick passes and the chips are out and I have a sharp edge, along with multiple bevels and a widely opened up tip.

We will see if I can live with it. It is functional, it is sharp, it is not up to my normal spec. I know better than to work on stuff when I start getting frustrated. Should have put it down right away for another day.

As it is, it actually looks kinda cool right now with the multiple bevel, even if a bit wide. It's just a reminder every time I look at it that I am a moron. I feel like even if I go back to the WE to try to even it out to one bevel, given how wide it is already, I will still feel like an idiot every time I look at it and doing so will only present a new opportunity to fuck it up more trying to "fix" it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I guess since it's a chisel grind going 25 degrees is like 12.5 per side on a regular bevel.

When I did my CQC-10, I just used the sharpie method until I found the angle. I used the KME though, which is mega annoying with the chisel grind as you have to keep changing the damn angle.

Next time I'll pull out the WE and use it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#38]
If it was 12.5, don't think it would have been an issue doing 15. I removed a lot of material. don't think it was 25 as Emerson claims, but it wasn't as low as 15.

why would the KME be annoying? Never handled one, not understanding why it would be a PITA.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Some 45 ACP action. Yes, the Jericho is a 45.
I was thinking today, are there any good Israeli made knives?
A quick search did not yield much.
The Jericho needs a Jewish buddy.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#40]
If it was 12.5, don't think it would have been an issue doing 15. I removed a lot of material. don't think it was 25 as Emerson claims, but it wasn't as low as 15.

why would the KME be annoying? Never handled one, not understanding why it would be a PITA.
View Quote

What I mean was the angle being flat on one side and 25 on the other is like a normal blade being 12.5 dps.
So the edge is fairly fragile really.

The KME only uses one stone so you have to change the angle when you flip it to the flat side to remove the burr.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I know most if not all of you think I am perfect, a god walking among mortals. Like Eros or Loki.

Well, I am indeed incredibly handsome and brilliant, and my cut calves and chiseled forearms are wonders of nature, but I am not the consummate man you all think I am and it weighs on me trying to keep up appearances so none of you become too dejected with the knowledge of my imperfections.

Nevertheless, I have been waiting for a mistake to share with you all to bring your expectations of me down a couple notches and help lighten my load.  It is exceedingly rare, but I do make mistakes.

Last night presented that opportunity.

Having just gotten my mini A100 back from getting new scales, I decided it was an opportune time to take it apart and clean it. It's not a regular mini A100, it is a special edition with S35VN blade steel and it had richlight scales which I had thought would be an improvement over the standard G10 scales. Unfortunately the richlight was the opposite of the G10, too smooth, and really didn't have the character I was looking for.

With the custom scales, the knife comes back a bit dusty. So I took it apart, scrubbed it down. While it was drying I thought I would take the opportunity to strop the edge of the blade. It wasn't dull, but it wasn't optimal. I gave it a few light strops. My sharpening area is in a dark corner in the basement so I turn around to inspect it up close in the light and drop the little fucker from eye level onto the hard hard concrete floor.

Well FML. I pick it up to inspect. Yep, yep, everything is looking good, until I look at the edge. Chips.  Horrible, ugly chips. Yep, yep, FML.

So I put it in the WE. Emersons have fairly broad edge grind, just on the show side. I need to get through the factory edge grind striations to have it look even so I start with 100 grit.

But I am hitting the large thumb disk. Frustrated, I pop it out of the WE, I take the thumb disk off, get the blade back in there and proceed to sharpen.

At. The. Wrong. #%^ing. Angle.

So what was a broad edge grind to begin with at what Emerson claims was 25-30 degrees has now been opened up using a 15 degree angle with the 100 grit stone.

Once again, FML.

I would not have guessed 25, maybe 17-18, but it certainly wasn't 15 degrees. Probably doubled the width of the edge grind by forgetting to move the angle from the last knife that was in there.

Damage done, I keep going to even it out. Stupid chips not coming out though.

By this point I am extremely frustrated and all out pissed at myself so I say fuck it and change the angle to 22 degrees. Few quick passes and the chips are out and I have a sharp edge, along with multiple bevels and a widely opened up tip.

We will see if I can live with it. It is functional, it is sharp, it is not up to my normal spec. I know better than to work on stuff when I start getting frustrated. Should have put it down right away for another day.

As it is, it actually looks kinda cool right now with the multiple bevel, even if a bit wide. It's just a reminder every time I look at it that I am a moron. I feel like even if I go back to the WE to try to even it out to one bevel, given how wide it is already, I will still feel like an idiot every time I look at it and doing so will only present a new opportunity to fuck it up more trying to "fix" it.

https://i.imgur.com/yA1HgQR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0ZSEs17.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lbVfXor.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C7Z3p8O.jpg

View Quote

No pics of the richlite scales?

I use richlite for handles (a lot).  Remember that nasty texture that I use that you love so much?

As far as the sharpening mistake, lucky for you, you know a guy (I think you might have said that he hates you though) who has a steady hand and (in the past) isn't scared to stick a finished folding knife on a belt grinder.  If the blade seemed too thick behind the edge before, a regrind will make a world of difference in how it cuts, plus it will destroy the evidence of your mishap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#42]

I use richlite for handles (a lot).  Remember that nasty texture that I use that you love so much?

As far as the sharpening mistake, lucky for you, you know a guy (I think you might have said that he hates you though) who has a steady hand and (in the past) isn't scared to stick a finished folding knife on a belt grinder.  If the blade seemed too thick behind the edge before, a regrind will make a world of difference in how it cuts, plus it will destroy the evidence of your mishap.
View Quote

Yeah, a perfect opportunity to get rid of that chisel grind anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#43]

The attention to detail and precision in that scale is just one thing that makes the Hinderer > ZT Hinderers. I've tried to explain that to some of the chuckleheads that hurr durr about ZT making better Hinderers than Rick. The machining on this one is impeccable. Inside and out, the finish is perfect.

To see how they milled that scale to reveal the fishnet pattern perfectly in the two color layers...that takes some kind of precision to pull off.
Not that ZT probably couldn't do the same, but if they did, it would cost the same.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 0393 and 0562. They are great knives in their own right, but the Hinderer turns it up to 11 for sure.

Mechanical keys are awesome. I love the feedback.
View Quote

I've long said ZT made great Hinderers, if you really want to try it out they're a great way to do so. Especially when compared to the older generations.

With the Gen 6 there's a little more difference but really the fit and finish on the Hinderers is definitely a big step up
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#44]
Asparagus #1. Second time I fucked up the pic. It has to be taller than the knife to ride the ride though.

The base and some other elements are reminiscent of a Sunset Hill mug, but I don't see this lip style on a pot belly mug in their line up. What is it?

View Quote
It is "Uncommon Clay" from Amazon. I think they do the base separate then meld it with the upper - perfect finger spiral inside.

Sorry to see about the edge deal.

It just seems bulky. My wife is a huge fan of driving one handed because her coffee cups can't fit in cup holders.
View Quote

The knife is deceptively small - it is a 12oz mug (maybe a little on the + side, haven't checked yet). I'm a big fan of the pot bellies overall - just have to watch out on the last sip. They had a popular one years ago that was made for setting down where other cups would tip - floor of your car etc. (yeah don't even try it in mine!). It has cork on the bottom - would be good for a ship.

ETA - some crazy bug I had to help out of the house a couple weeks back - ~2"

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#45]
You know it. Emersons are stupid easy to break down.
The lines on that knife are so nice. Work of art.

I got an email today...finally...
View Quote

Good to hear they finally got back with you. Yes, I agree, it is a work of art.
Oddly enough, my daughters all like the Smock better since it has the Spydie hole. The flipper action frightens them a little, they prefer using the thumb hole to open it.

Sure. I get it. We own flashlights. But I don't collect them.

I look at flashlights the way many would probably look at knife collecting.

And even with a good flashlight, you are probably still in the dark most of the time.
View Quote

Fair point.

And I see what you did there...
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Latest Corona Knife Thread post.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Wife grabbed something at the store

https://i.imgur.com/wPslEjU.jpg
View Quote

That's a good whiskey.

Nice pic too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
I like that scale

I need a real Hinderer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#49]

https://i.imgur.com/y0V4Xmz.jpg
View All Quotes

That's a really good pic. I'm diggin everything going on here. Knife, obviously. Peacemaker, most definitely. Lord's Caliber, hell yes.

Nailed the lighting too. As awesome as Wisconsin is, we have not had good lighting of late and my house sucks for that.

What I mean was the angle being flat on one side and 25 on the other is like a normal blade being 12.5 dps.
So the edge is fairly fragile really.

The KME only uses one stone so you have to change the angle when you flip it to the flat side to remove the burr.

Now I'm with ya. It's not quite flat on the other side though, not a true chisel grind like the CQC-7. But still, I get what you are saying.

And didn't even occur to me on the KME, but now that you say it, gotcha.

The thought had occurred to me, but as you note, "that guy" hates me. I mean, I call and text him a few times a day and he is completely unresponsive. Except for the one time a couple days ago he said something about a getting a TRO for me, whatever that is. Kinda excited, nothing in the mail yet!

The blade wasn't too thick, but a quick pass in a belt grinder would fix it. I opened the bevel up, but I didn't completely screw it over. The WE did it's job keeping everything nice and even.

Yeah, a perfect opportunity to get rid of that chisel grind anyway.

i thought you had an understanding with your Emerson now? I don't mind the chisel grind on there. I don't like the true chisel grinds though. There's just something about them that bother me.

It is "Uncommon Clay" from Amazon. I think they do the base separate then meld it with the upper - perfect finger spiral inside.

Huh, haven't heard of them.  Based on some things you have said, sounds like Deneen would be right up your alley. Also based on what you have said, skip Sunset Hill unless one really grabs you.

Sorry to see about the edge deal.

Thanks. Stupid me. I would do it on an overpriced knife whose fate is undecided in the collection.

The knife is deceptively small - it is a 12oz mug (maybe a little on the + side, haven't checked yet). I'm a big fan of the pot bellies overall - just have to watch out on the last sip. They had a popular one years ago that was made for setting down where other cups would tip - floor of your car etc. (yeah don't even try it in mine!). It has cork on the bottom - would be good for a ship.

Looking at mugs in a picture I never would have picked a bot belly. Didn't have a choice with the Deneen Emerson I got. Once in hand, hell yeah. Little bit of a belly is the way to go. Isn't that from Pulp Fiction...

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I like that picture.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3124
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top