Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/29/2020 2:28:08 PM EDT
Talking about the time when (not “if”) technology becomes self-aware. Potentially autonomous if it’s released to the Internet...

Pros?

Cons?

I mean I’ve seen the documentaries - Skynet, the Matrix, you name it, I love it, but if this Internet thing goes pear-shaped... it could be worse than Y2K.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That Skynet thing and all those types of Terminators keep me up nights.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a PhD in computer science and I have zero concerns whatsoever about the singularity.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
And here I thought you were talking about Sgr A*.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a PhD in computer science and I have zero concerns whatsoever about the singularity.
View Quote
Now tell us why.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, it's not like we're short on panic threads lately, what's one more?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]
When it happens. My SO will be partly to blame.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now tell us why.
View Quote
Because it doesnt work like the movies.

But hey, boomers who can barely operate cellphones will continue prepping for terminators I guess.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Computers cannot, and do not, "think".  They execute decisions that humans made and that are stored within them.

There is enough not known about what self-awareness is, heuristic decision-making, emotion, etc. that even if it was replicable (and there is NO evidence that it is), we would not know how to replicate it.

It would be like asking a cartographer in 800 A.D. to draw you a map of the Great Lakes region.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Did someone say Singularity?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And here I thought you were talking about Sgr A*.
View Quote
LOL me too
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.  Computers cannot, and do not, "think".  They execute decisions that humans made and that are stored within them.

There is enough not known about what self-awareness is, heuristic decision-making, emotion, etc. that even if it was replicable (and there is NO evidence that it is), we would not know how to replicate it.

It would be like asking a cartographer in 800 A.D. to draw you a map of the Great Lakes region.
View Quote
In general I would agree but people are trying. My concern is if/when they succeed things will happen fast. If it becomes possible, AI will learn at a stupendous pace, especially if given enough access to information.

It will require some huge breakthroughs tho.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Now tell us why.
View Quote
For one, we have yet to produce even a moderately complex computer system that is not fraught with errors. The technical ability of humans to create a system that is self-improving does not and cannot exist. As a general rule, the more complex a system is, the more flaws that exist. It isn't even possible to identify these flaws in most cases, much less fix them.

The work that has been done on machine learning, for example, still fails spectacularly, even if it has been designed and created by the brightest minds on the planet. Computers lack agency and can do no more than what we tell them. There is no concept of right or wrong, no metaphysical understanding of emotion or intelligence, no nothing. It's not even defined. Processing power is not a substitute for an understanding of why.

Computers can do nothing more than mimic. Consider speech recognition and AI conversations. These things operate on the basis of reinforced learning and pattern analysis. A training program might read through a billion pages of text and then hold a conversation but it will never understand why. It can't. That's uniquely human.

Understanding why is not something a computer can do. It's fundamentally impossible. Understanding creativity is not something a computer can ever do. As processing power increases there are complex problems a computer can help solve. But it can never do more than simply exist for its designed purpose.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#14]
If Hollywood is to be believed a strong independent woman will arise to save us all.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Talking about the time when (not “if”) technology becomes self-aware. Potentially autonomous if it’s released to the Internet...

Pros?

Cons?

I mean I’ve seen the documentaries - Skynet, the Matrix, you name it, I love it, but if this Internet thing goes pear-shaped... it could be worse than Y2K.
View Quote
Safe bet that most GD'ers have taken a shit that was worse than Y2K
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait, I thought singularities were black holes that allowed time travel....
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most famous last words: “Oh goodness Vinkat, I have forgotten to call rule #1 in latest build, is to late to stop production deploy?”
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Most famous last words: “Oh goodness Vinkat, I have forgotten to call rule #1 in latest build, is to late to stop production deploy?”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Oh yeah, it still hasn’t even passed the focus groups, nevermind QA”
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
See, you've already had your thoughts manipulated with early "dumb" AIs.  Can't imagine what will happen when the new ones come along.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Artificial Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean consciousness.

That's actually the scariest thing about it, that and the monkeys giving it purpose.

It's called a singularity because it's an event horizon, technology that changes things so fundamentally that predictions become impossible.

So why worry?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is not entirely accurate anymore.

Machine learning applications are often entirely self taught, meaning that a person did not write the code that makes them do the things they do.

It is still one of the great mysteries, people can design and program a complex neural network but nobody really knows how it actually learns to do stuff.

I have written several myself and while I can explain what each part of the code does, I simply cannot tell you how the code actually interprets the data it is given to arrive at the conclusions that it does. No idea at all.

True self-aware AI will be an extension of this. Deep learning is basically building a layered network of simulated neurons that link together and activate in a way not entirely unlike those in a brain.

Modern tech just has not unlocked the ability to get to the fully functioning brain part yet. It will happen, and many of the required pieces are already in progress or complete, just not all at the same time in the same place.
View Quote
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of unsupervised learning and neural networks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have 40 years or sci-fi watching. I have more concerns about this than climate change.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm in the IT field and a platinum member at Holiday Inn Express and I agree.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
The super smart AIs don't concern me as much as those who have control of them.

Man has become the master of this planet solely because of his higher intelligence. Ceding that collective hedge to one or a few will cleverly make the rest of us their cattle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think it's important to differentiate meanings here, otherwise "big brains" will just scoff at you without addressing what we are trying to talk about. (see, FS7 posts above)

What are you worried about?

What do you mean by "self-aware"?

What about autonomous? (this could mean many things)
View Quote
I'm not scoffing at anyone. I'm trying to illustrate that fears are driven by science fiction, not science fact.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I would less concerned with AI becoming self aware and more concerned with a Borg like Hive mind resulting from everyone being plugged directly into the net.
Already young people are far too often putting more emotion into a on-line presence than a real life one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If Hollywood is to be believed a strong independent woman will arise to save us all.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The destructive potential of "over-automation" has long since come to pass, as has the threat of an amoral, omniscient, omnipotent, inhuman 'entity' that cannot be controlled.  80% of stock trades & rising are automated, and governments/corporations monitor nearly all human behavior in 1st world countries, cradle to grave.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
People rode animals for thousands of years, mastery over the horse in warfare played a huge part in making the world what it is today.  Did animals get replaced because we created more powerful mechanical analogs of them?  Did motor vehicles possess the same intelligence as the animals they replaced?  Nope, but animals like the horse have been entirely replaced as modes of transport.

In much the same way it is extremely unlikely that machine intelligence and awareness will resemble human or animal intelligence any more than a 737 does a bird or a submarine does a dolphin.  But in its own way machine intelligence will continue to grow.  It may not be conscious in any way that we recognize but that doesn’t really matter any more than if a self driving Tesla lacks the natural instincts and intelligence of a horse.  In the short term augmented reality/augmented human intelligence will become a widespread thing and those early adopters will have a huge advantage over “natural” humans in many ways.

The singularity doesn’t necessarily have to come from an all knowing Skynet that develops consciousness it may simply start from humans that augment themselves into weakly godlike intelligences.  For a horse it doesn’t matter that a human is required to drive an automobile.  It’s simply obsolete.  For us pre-singularity humans it doesn’t really matter whether the intelligence at the core of a hyper intelligence is purely machine or some amalgamation of human and machine as it will still be incomprehensible to us.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
My totally serious opinion, from an agnostic realively tech savvy GenX'er:

I believe that humans should not endeavor to create an artificial truly sentient being.  And I believe that because humans are too egotistical/myopic/whatever to create something that will not in some way ultimately knock us from the top of the food chain.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have written several from scratch, I mean from the ground up, not just modifying some tensorflow script. Expert? No, but certainly more than most here.

Unless there has been a recent breakthrough that I have simply missed, nobody really knows for sure what happens and why between the input and output layers.

You can read the numbers, you can even track a bit of data from one end to the other, but what really makes everything tick is a bit...too complex for people to actually write instructions for or explain exactly how it works. It is kinda the whole point of things like this. They do things that are beyond the simple if(a) then b sort of programming.

It is pretty fascinating. One of the things that I have been trying to do is figure out how to answer that question. There is a lot of speculation about how they work but nobody really knows for sure.
View Quote
Of course people know what happens between the input and output layers. The hidden layers don't design themselves. The functions applied between the input and output are exactly what the designer says they are, almost always tailored to what you want the network to do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh I thought you were talking about this book:

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For one, we have yet to produce even a moderately complex computer system that is not fraught with errors. The technical ability of humans to create a system that is self-improving does not and cannot exist. As a general rule, the more complex a system is, the more flaws that exist. It isn't even possible to identify these flaws in most cases, much less fix them.

The work that has been done on machine learning, for example, still fails spectacularly, even if it has been designed and created by the brightest minds on the planet. Computers lack agency and can do no more than what we tell them. There is no concept of right or wrong, no metaphysical understanding of emotion or intelligence, no nothing. It's not even defined. Processing power is not a substitute for an understanding of why.

Computers can do nothing more than mimic. Consider speech recognition and AI conversations. These things operate on the basis of reinforced learning and pattern analysis. A training program might read through a billion pages of text and then hold a conversation but it will never understand why. It can't. That's uniquely human.

Understanding why is not something a computer can do. It's fundamentally impossible. Understanding creativity is not something a computer can ever do. As processing power increases there are complex problems a computer can help solve. But it can never do more than simply exist for its designed purpose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now tell us why.

You've described a toddler.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think it's important to differentiate meanings here, otherwise "big brains" will just scoff at you without addressing what we are trying to talk about. (see, FS7 posts above)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros?

Cons?

For me, it would be the unintended consequences. Perverse instantiation, I think is the term.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#44]
AI/SA awaits microscopic, densely packed, artificial neurons with dendrites able to form synapses--a brain; and high resolution sensory inputs so the being can interact and test his environment and observe reactions--exactly as we learn.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are people concerned about toddlers taking over?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#46]
No concern at all. Self aware artificial intellegence may very likely be a thing some day, but I doubt that day will come in my life time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#48]
John Lovell with the Warrior Poet Society just had a pro hacker on his channel talking about this.

HACKER warns of ‘The Singularity', A.I, & Zero-Day ??
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What you are saying goes against most of what the ML community at large seems to believe. There is still a lot of research being conducted to determine what is going on in and between layers in neural networks. As far as I have been able to find, so far it is still largely unanswered in any hard explanation. (that includes researching while typing this post, to see if maybe I missed that breakthrough and no, I have not) There is a fair bit of thinking or probably, but not a lot of firm answers. If you have discovered a solution to this that is repeatable, you should publish it and become famous.

Knowing and understanding how the network is made is easy (relatively, anyway). Knowing what it does is also easy. Knowing how it does it...that is the tricky bit.

You can set parameters for your inputs, expected outputs, and while the network training is little more than adjusting the weights and biases of all the connections between individual perceptrons and layers...it is still basically magic.

Simple networks are a lot easier to understand than the truly complex ones.
View Quote
Can you provide any literature to support this?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a toddler took over my entire life, deprived me of sleep, caused my eating habits to decline, alcohol consumption to increase, and my hair to gray.  Twice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top