Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/30/2018 8:22:32 AM EDT
79 years ago, but not forgotten.

Taking my new Tikka M27 to the military ranges shoot tomorrow to commemorate Finland's reluctant entry into a world war.

ETA

Reindeer pulling ahkio (sleds) of equipment alongside Finnish ski troops...

Suggested reading:
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure the Finns haven't forgotten
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]

This is from a movie about the later Continuation War, 1941-1944, but screw it, close enough:
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Gotta love those Finns.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The Finns are true bad asses. They would take dead frozen Russians and plant them head first into the snow
with the rest of the body sticking straight up in the air along roads as a warning.

Savage.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was in Norway they liked to joke about how emotionless and pragmatic the Finns are. They are a tough and stoic lot for sure
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I shall fire off my Suomi M-39 In respect.

The Winter War Movie

Famous story from the winter war; Stalin asked his General to report on their progress; “ We have almost taken enough ground to bury our dead!”
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every time I see those numbers I cringe.

Where the hell did 400,000 Russians go missing?
View Quote
I’m guessing it has to do with that yearly phenomenon the Russians love to taught as part of their success in WW2... Winter. If true it’s pretty ironic
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Finland led a heroic resistance against the Soviet menace.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
They're not really missing, it's just that no one bothered to record their death properly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#11]
"so many Russians! Where will we bury them all?"
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Soviets were dropping bread to the starving Finns, so the Finns treated the heroic Soviets to some nice warm Molotov cocktails. That's what good neighbors do.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Stalin did not expect much resistance, The Finns has no air support, and fielded almost no artillary , their forces were made up of reserves called up from the population.

He sent his third tier( After purging his officer ranks) forces , in the dead of winter, with the expectation they would march in and take over, and the Finns would fold.

The Russians convoyed on the roads in heavy snow, The Finns sat on the sides of the mountains and ambushed them .

I have heard that the body counts were so high that the Finns under reported them out of embarrassment.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I tried to find a copy of the book on the Simo Hayha, with zero luck.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This one?
White Sniper Simo Hayha by Tapio Saarelainen

Lots of copies on abebooks.com
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This one?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/713nXuLW8KL._SL480_.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This one?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/713nXuLW8KL._SL480_.jpg

Apparently, I didn't search good enough. Got it, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Knock knock
Who there?
Rain deer
Rain deer who?
We Rain deer death upon you.

Sorry
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#18]
hakkaa paalle!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#19]
What are the gun laws like in Finland?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Ivan has always needed a diversion to keep the peasants minds off of their empty stomachs and their cold, bleak lives.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#21]
A great many of the invading Soviets were Ukrainians,in no way acclimated to northern weather and many of whom had long been under-nourished at any rate. Add in lack motivation,training and equipment along with being told this was just an exercise  and they were a sorry lot. That’s not to say I’m expressing any sympathy,a Commie bastard is a Commie bastard and is best turned into the good kind,piled deep in a snow drift.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#22]
The Nazis joined the Finns against the Soviets 15 months after the Winter War.

The Continuation War

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just means no one bothered recovering the bodies.  It is said that the flies were unbearably thick in the summer of 1940.  They were breeding in all of the carrion left in the forests and swamps the previous winter.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]
The Soviets seriously thought they were going to win wearing these hats?

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#26]

you chose poorly comrad..

you faggots too..
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
what about today? finland would roll over in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Sadly, Finland had to pay restitution to the USSR after the war ended...
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sadly, Finland had to pay restitution to the USSR after the war ended...
View Quote
It didn't bring any of the dead communists back to life.  So there's that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#30]

can I help you sir..?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Sisu!

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#32]
We new more good news stories like these.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Can’t have this thread without this joke...

A large group of Russian soldiers in the border area in 1939 are moving down a road when they hear a voice call from behind a small hill: "One Finnish soldier is better than ten Russian".

The Russian commander quickly orders 10 of his best men over the hill where Upon a gun-battle breaks out and continues for a few minutes, then silence. The voice once again calls out: "One Finn is better than one hundred Russian."

Furious, the Russian commander sends his next best 100 troops over the hill and instantly a huge gun fight commences. After 10 minutes of battle, again Silence. The calm Finnish voice calls out again: "One Finn is better than one thousand Russians!"

The enraged Russian commander musters 1000 fighters and sends them to the other side of the hill. Rifle fire, machine guns, grenades, rockets and cannon fire ring out as a terrible battle is fought...

Then silence.

Eventually one badly wounded Russian fighter crawls back over the hill and with his dying words tells his commander, "Don't send any more men...it's a trap.

There's two of them."
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's Wikipedia. lol
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#35]
The Winter War - WW2 - 014 December 1 1939
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#36]
My grandparents were Finnish and sent care packages back to Finland to their family. They HATED the communists. We still have some neat trinkets and scrapbooks they sent home as a “thank you” for the stuff sent to them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sisu!

View Quote
Nice, but not legal here.

Get some drum magazines for it..!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can’t have this thread without this joke...

A large group of Russian soldiers in the border area in 1939 are moving down a road when they hear a voice call from behind a small hill: "One Finnish soldier is better than ten Russian".

The Russian commander quickly orders 10 of his best men over the hill where Upon a gun-battle breaks out and continues for a few minutes, then silence. The voice once again calls out: "One Finn is better than one hundred Russian."

Furious, the Russian commander sends his next best 100 troops over the hill and instantly a huge gun fight commences. After 10 minutes of battle, again Silence. The calm Finnish voice calls out again: "One Finn is better than one thousand Russians!"

The enraged Russian commander musters 1000 fighters and sends them to the other side of the hill. Rifle fire, machine guns, grenades, rockets and cannon fire ring out as a terrible battle is fought...

Then silence.

Eventually one badly wounded Russian fighter crawls back over the hill and with his dying words tells his commander, "Don't send any more men...it's a trap.

There's two of them."
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My grandparents were Finnish and sent care packages back to Finland to their family. They HATED the communists. We still have some neat trinkets and scrapbooks they sent home as a “thank you” for the stuff sent to them.
View Quote
Nice, a cool thing to link the two branches of your family.

I've a small collection of things, growing all the time, as I find more stuff of interest.
Really need to get to Finland to some small flea markets & junk shops as paying the "collectable" prices is a killer.

Only been once, took swmbo there for Valentines Day.
Strangely, coincidentally, it was the same weekend & location as the TamArms gun show....she was trying to buy an MP5

Got a few legal bargains & small parts, plus an idea of the market there. Metric shit ton of Arisaka rifles & I'd not seen as many L1A1 SLRs since I was in the RAF....

Would love to get a small summer place there, maybe one day!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Yep, time to do a mag dump through mine, sadly it is only semi.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Our great Soviet WW2 ally bombed Finland.
Were they Nazis?
Wish I still had my Valmet M76 now
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I've read several books on the Winter War, and I've always wanted to visit Finland.

One thing I remember was a battle where Soviet tanks came across a frozen lake, and the Finns sent out just enough ordnance to compromise the ice.  The tanks went through the ice, on the move, with their crews inside.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#44]
The Finns made lots of good commies.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope. Should the Sovie... eh they invade again, we'd give em hell - again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What are the gun laws like in Finland?
View Quote
EU restricted in some areas, but way better than here in Britain....they've still got handguns & centre-fire self loading rifles...
Helsinki Leisure Centre has a pistol range in the basement in case you want to get some practice in in the way to/from the office job or while the wife is doing her yoga, etc.

I'd move there in a heartbeat..!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Nazis joined the Finns against the Soviets 15 months after the Winter War.

The Continuation War
View Quote
And when the boxheads stopped being nice, the Finns also attacked them & drove them off Finnish soil, giving us the third of Finland's (WW2 period) wars - the Lapland War
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Molotov gave the poor starving Finns breadbaskets so the Finns thanked their benevolent but thirsty Soviet rescuers with cocktails.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

EU restricted in some areas, but way better than here in Britain....they've still got handguns & centre-fire self loading rifles...
Helsinki Leisure Centre has a pistol range in the basement in case you want to get some practice in in the way to/from the office job or while the wife is doing her yoga, etc.

I'd move there in a heartbeat..!!
View Quote
Getting tougher, but still doable. Everything requires a permit, but those can be had for e.g. sports, Army reservists and hunting provided that the applicant is not too fucked up in the head.

Edit: Oh and suppressors are available if you have a gun permit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#50]
They HATED the communists
View Quote
Wait till people here find out that Finland is about 10 miles to the left of Bernie Sanders. lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top