Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Warren is old.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess that means he's finally about to buy in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, let the 90 yr old guy inform me on cutting edge technology.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#5]
What comes to a good ending? Unless he knows when the bad ending is coming, he doesn't know shit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]
well, Duh.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#8]
What? crypto kept the pipeline going making his trains worth less?  Guy uses the feds to hammer the competition and is the typical crony capitalist.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The only ones getting a bad deal will be who ever is standing when the music stops.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Cryptocurrency I believe will be one of the biggest scams exposed of all time.  The currency has nothing backing it like US currency which we have all the asset of America.  The currency is artificially bloated by the more and more people buy into it.  To risky of an investment in my opinion and I am not going to touch it.  Also I am not old I am a smart investor and made lots of money doing it by not taking stupid risky chances with my money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't need to know a damn thing about tech to know a classic bubble when you see it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]
All it means is that his portfolio is not positioned for the advances blockchain can create.

The man is a master manipulator
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cryptocurrency I believe will be one of the biggest scams exposed of all time.  The currency has nothing backing it like US currency which we have all the asset of America.  The currency is artificially bloated by the more and more people buy into it.  To risky of an investment in my opinion and I am not going to touch it.  Also I am not old I am a smart investor and made lots of money doing it by not taking stupid risky chances with my money.
View Quote
Lots of people have made money on cyrpto at much higher returns than traditional investments.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lots of people have made money on cyrpto at much higher returns than traditional investments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It isn't investing, it is speculating.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cryptocurrency I believe will be one of the biggest scams exposed of all time.  The currency has nothing backing it like US currency which we have all the asset of America.  The currency is artificially bloated by the more and more people buy into it.  To risky of an investment in my opinion and I am not going to touch it.  Also, I am not old I am a smart investor and made lots of money doing it by not taking stupid risky chances with my money.
View Quote
Yup, but it appears we are in the minority around here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#16]
"This time is different."
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So did the investors in this guy's plan. Initially at least.
Charles Ponzi, (born Carlo Pietro Giovanni Guglielmo Tebaldo Ponzi; March 3, 1882 – January 18, 1949), was an Italian swindler and con artist in the U.S. and Canada. His aliases include Charles Ponci, Carlo, and Charles P. Bianchi. Born and raised in Italy, he became known in the early 1920s as a swindler in North America for his money-making scheme. He promised clients a 50% profit within 45 days, or 100% profit within 90 days, by buying discounted postal reply coupons in other countries and redeeming them at face value in the United States as a form of arbitrage. In reality, Ponzi was paying earlier investors using the investments of later investors. While this type of fraudlent investment scheme was not originally invented by Ponzi, it became so identified with him that it now is referred to as a Ponzi scheme. His scheme ran for over a year before it collapsed, costing his "investors" $20 million.
Ponzi may have been inspired by the scheme of William F. Miller, a Brooklyn bookkeeper who in 1899 used the same scheme to take in $1 million. In addition, "The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo", Charles Deville Wells, had operated a very similar scheme in France in 1910–11, when – under the alias "Lucien Rivier" – he had set up a phony bank, to the detriment of his 6,000 victims.
Per Wiki
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
So had people with pets.com stocks, Bernie Madoff's funds, and tulips.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"This time is different."
View Quote
Yep, just like Communism will work if it's done correctly. It's just never been done right.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#20]
OST
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I have around $300 "invested" in some alt coins. It's down huge from last week, but still up 300% plus from when I bought in three weeks ago. It's play money, and I wouldn't put anything but play money into it. If it grows 100% per year in the short term, I'll be happy. I'm not in the crowd that thinks a few hundred bucks will buy a Lamborghini or a house in a year.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Isn't he famous for this? He knows his opinion will shift markets and has been known to buy the dips he creates.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you invest in stocks?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#24]
The same thing was said about the dot-com boom. The smart money got in, made a killing, and eased out before the whole thing blew up in people's faces.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ol' buffy is mad that people are becoming overnight millionaires.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#26]
It could be 1929 all over again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have around $300 "invested" in some alt coins. It's down huge from last week, but still up 300% plus from when I bought in three weeks ago. It's play money, and I wouldn't put anything but play money into it. If it grows 100% per year in the short term, I'll be happy. I'm not in the crowd that thinks a few hundred bucks will buy a Lamborghini or a house in a year.
View Quote
Same here, I've already written that money off.  It's probably gone forever, but perhaps it could become a nice surprise.

I'm concerned about the people who are cashing out 401ks and buying crypto on credit cards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#28]
kind of off the OP's topic but ....... Fuck Warren Buffett
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What comes to a good ending? Unless he knows when the bad ending is coming, he doesn't know shit.
View Quote
If banks own as much as they say, he just might
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Same here, I've already written that money off.  It's probably gone forever, but perhaps it could become a nice surprise.

I'm concerned about the people who are cashing out 401ks and buying crypto on credit cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been investing in tulips and cowry shells.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not into crypto, but I don't think you understand what federal reserve note actually is, either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Define “a lot of money”.

More then a hundred thousand? Or more then a million?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You don't need to know a damn thing about tech to know a classic bubble when you see it.
View Quote
It's a bunch of people rushing to get rich off something that is perceived to be rare and new.  In reality it is speculators paying real world money to own a piece of a math problem that the overwhelming majority of retailers do not accept as currency for transactions.  What a wonderful asset to possess.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I just keep remembering the old saying "if it sounds to good to be true".....
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#35]
A 'currency' made up out of thin air, backed by and based on absolutely nothing other than the belief that if I buy it for $1 today I can sell it for $10 later.  Anyone who DOESN'T see that this will come to a bad ending is delusional.

I'll admit that the thought to dabble with a small amount of seed money has crossed my mind, and I like many others probably COULD make significant money by playing the short game.  But then I realized if I did it successfully, all I've really done is effectively stolen money from some poor moron down the line who thought this was a real, legitimate thing.  I'm not okay with that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everyone loves the thought of the average joe striking it rich.

Yea, some people made a lot of money off bitcoin, A LOT of money.
People see this and gravitate towards it which inflates the bubble even more. Those early people who made a shit ton were also very lucky, it could have also gone the other way.

Now no one really knows what will happen with bitcoin. Personally I don't see the point in it. It seems too unstable for an actual currency, seems open to hackers, transactions take a long time, it is trackable, so what is it? The only real value is what a smallish group of people say it is. Sure our currency is also kinda like that but the group is much larger, making it more stable.
Right now people are seeing it as an investment because people before them got rich, hence the bubble. I think it will pop when people trying to strike it rich move on to the next latest and greatest.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Do you invest in stocks?
View Quote
When you buy a stock you buy a piece of that company.

When you buy bitcoin what do you get?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, like the tech bubble from the 90s is still going strong.

Classic "this money train will never stop rolling! Wooooo!", deeply flawed mentality.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Our own US dollar is fiat currency but it's accepted by everybody and that is its stability right there.

There is no REAL currency anymore.  Nothing that can be traded in on demand for precious metals.

"The internet will never be a big thing."   "The CD will be with us forever, it gives us perfect sound."

"Nobody needs more than 640K of RAM in their computer." (Bill Gates said that once upon a time.)

Things change.  Cryptocurrency,  well, the truth is we're in the dawn of a new era and NO it's not some idiot
with a flashlight hiding behind a rock.

Cryptocurrency is not going to go away, it is going to grow and expand and there will be a natural selection process
that will kill off the weakest currencies and leave the stronger ones to continue to battle for dominance until there
are finally just a couple.

Of course those who are most heavily invested in the old system of money will denigrate the competition.  That's to be expected.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Our own US dollar is fiat currency but it's accepted by everybody and that is its stability right there.

There is no REAL currency anymore.  Nothing that can be traded in on demand for precious metals.

"The internet will never be a big thing."   "The CD will be with us forever, it gives us perfect sound."

"Nobody needs more than 640K of RAM in their computer." (Bill Gates said that once upon a time.)

Things change.  Cryptocurrency,  well, the truth is we're in the dawn of a new era and NO it's not some idiot

Cryptocurrency is not going to go away, it is going to grow and expand and there will be a natural selection process
that will kill off the weakest currencies and leave the stronger ones to continue to battle for dominance until there

Of course those who are most heavily invested in the old system of money will denigrate the competition.  That's to be expected.
View Quote
But what "problem" is crypto currently looking to solve?

My life is already pretty easy with cash and credit/debit cards.

You're examples of computers and the internet solved critical problems and/or improved life somehow.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe crypto currency would be taken more seriously if it was being created just so it could be pump and dumped on unregulated markets
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
The US dollar is backed by the US Government.

Cryptocurrency is backed by speculation, that can be legislated out of useful existence, with nothing really physical to possess any vale in, besides some 10101010101's in a computer file somewhere...
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

People see this and gravitate towards it which inflates the bubble even more. Those early people who made a shit ton were also very lucky, it could have also gone the other way.

Now no one really knows what will happen with bitcoin. Personally I don't see the point in it. It seems too unstable for an actual currency, seems open to hackers, transactions take a long time, it is trackable, so what is it? The only real value is what a smallish group of people say it is. Sure our currency is also kinda like that but the group is much larger, making it more stable.
Right now people are seeing it as an investment because people before them got rich, hence the bubble. I think it will pop when people trying to strike it rich move on to the next latest and greatest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is following the same path of every other Ponzi Scheme in history........except this time unlike Madoff, and Ponzi no one is sure where it comes from.
no one knows for sure who invented it. There are some suspicions, but no one knows for sure. That in itself makes it a good investment.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It is following the same path of every other Ponzi Scheme in history........except this time unlike Madoff, and Ponzi no one is sure where it comes from.
no one knows for sure who invented it. There are some suspicions, but no one knows for sure. That in itself makes it a good investment.
View Quote
I thought I heard bitcoin originated as currency in a video game to use instead of dollars?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're examples of computers and the internet solved critical problems and/or improved life somehow.
View Quote
Literally the only problem it solves is being able to buy coke and hookers anonymously.
The sheer volatility of it and unknown future gives retailers the meat sweats.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quicker and cheaper than money. Also no bank account necessary.
More secure than your Credit card.

Everyone is taking about crypto currency.

What about all the other block chain coins?

The ones based on loans or storage.

Forget about Bitcoin.

Learn about Blockchain.

Bitcoin may go away but Blockchain is here to stay.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Literally the only problem it solves is being able to buy coke and hookers anonymously.
The sheer volatility of it and unknown future gives retailers the meat sweats.
View Quote
It is not Anonymous.

Some coins are but not Bitcoin.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#48]
It's Different this time™

I see the value of all of this Crypto stuff more in the tech to where the transactions are secure versus the actual value of the coins.

At the end of the day, retail people are buying mathematical equations with currency.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Just keeeep  telling yourselves that, kids.

If there is any money in it at all, .gov will be along any time now to beat you up and steal your lunch money.
Crime doesn't like competition.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...in progress.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top