Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/24/2017 7:47:12 PM EDT
http://aviationweek.com/defense/usaf-could-start-re-engining-first-two-b-52s-2022
Requires a FREE account to read the article

The U.S. Air Force says the Boeing B-52H bomber’s 1960s-vintage Pratt & Whitney TF33-103 engine is “not sustainable past 2030” and must be replaced to keep the Stratofortress flying for another two decades, and the first two test aircraft could start undergoing modification by fiscal 2022.

The document notes that the Air Force is considering the potential purchase of 650 engines, enough to upgrade 76 aircraft, with another 42 units kept as spares.
The service will seek 20 engines initially to modify the first two bombers for testing.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/12/22/air-force-solidifies-options-for-b-52-engine-replacement/
This one does not.

While the service has not solidified whether it will move onto a program of record, it has requested “initial seed money” in the 2018 budget and has done market research that could inform a final acquisition strategy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The gggrandchildern of the first guys to fly it will be flying
Awesome
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Such a waste of money, put that pig out to pasture.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Savin our tax dollars
MAGA
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Would they be able to use a current commercial engine or would it require a dedicated mil application engine?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Man...can't we find some way to replace the old B-52s with something more modern but not 'holy Mother of God' expensive?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would they be able to use a current commercial engine or would it require a dedicated mil application engine?
View Quote
They’ll use some off the shelf bizjet/regional jet engine. Stupid low hanging outer nacelles won’t allow use of four actual modern engines instead of eight ridiculously small ones.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Whoa. Am I reading that correctly?  Are they talking about getting almost 70 years service out of 1960s technology jet engines?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Military planes used to be obsolete by the time they actually were in full production, this thing is heading to be in service for most of a century.

Not sure if I'm impressed or appalled.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Wouldn't one of the little engines out of some type of business jet fit in the existing pod design pretty easy? There was an article about this last year that said the mx and fuel costs would pay off an engine change in 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whoa. Am I reading that correctly?  Are they talking about getting almost 70 years service out of 1960s technology jet engines?
View Quote
No that piece of shit already got “new” engines once. This would be the third engine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Man...can't we find some way to replace the old B-52s with something more modern but not 'holy Mother of God' expensive?
View Quote
About the closest thing I can think of would be a P-8 with Air Force mission equipment.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I. Like it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Aviation week, AF times, and the rest of the genre's pulp journalism have been promising, claiming, and predicting that the B-52 will be re-engine pretty much every year since I joined in 2001.  It's not going ot happen.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
So what do you figure are the best engine options?  The TF-33s have 17K thrust and an engine diameter of 56 inches.  The outboard engines, at least,
can't be much bigger than that unless the location of the engines is changed.  Which I doubt would be even an option to consider.

Uh, hang a pair of GE90s on the inboard pylon location and call it a day?  

Really, what are the best available engine options?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what do you figure are the best engine options?  The TF-33s have 17K thrust and an engine diameter of 56 inches.  The outboard engines, at least,
can't be much bigger than that unless the location of the engines is changed.  Which I doubt would be even an option to consider.

View Quote
From what I remember reading from a previous thread on this. You can’t reduce the number of engines. Each enginenpowers something diffent (hydro, charging, etc.). You would loose the redundancy that has made them last so long.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Plus there are plenty of C-141 carcasses that donated their motors to keep the B-52 flying.

Motor being "Not Sustainable" means that at best some LtCol at WPAFB in the fighter-bomber SPO is spinning his wheels by having people chase this pipe dream again so he/she/it can get some bullet point for their OPR.  At its worse means Globo-Boeing is greasing congressmen to make that red tape pliable.

However, as always with these articles, they'll be talk, discussion, but no program of record, so nothing gets done.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
From what I remember reading from a previous thread on this. You can’t reduce the number of engines. Each enginenpowers something diffent (hydro, charging, etc.). You would loose the redundancy that has made them last so long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a stupid and shitty reason not to go with 4 vs 8 engines.  Accessory drive gearboxes can run two generators, two hydraulic pumps, etc.  They do it every day on many aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#20]
You're not getting four engines unless you get a different rudder (not going to happen) or some crazy flight control logic (not going to happen.)

Most biz jet engines are too small. If it happens it will be 8 of the baby GE's that they have on the a10, e175, e195 etc..... I think Boeing has been working on this recently with cf34s. I don't know how far it went....

If it does happen I assure you it will be GE unless they find a way to get eight JT8s and limit the drag of the inlets.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
If you go with four engines it will be a major over haul on the wings. You may as well build a new plane
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got a bigger bomb truck?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got a bigger bomb truck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a bigger bomb truck?
Yes, the B-1. Stealthier? B-2, both? B-3 (B-21 because fuck the rules).
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Putting 8 biz jet engines like BR725's in the nacelles means you don't have to go thru all the aero and recert stuff and importantly, no new struts and interfaces. Lots and lots less money. All you really have to do is the electronic and plumbing integration.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Good.

Maybe they'll last another 60-70 years.

Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No that piece of shit already got “new” engines once. This would be the third engine.
View Quote
Incorrect.  The H's are flying with the same type engine Boeing hung on them in 1962.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wouldn't one of the little engines out of some type of business jet fit in the existing pod design pretty easy? There was an article about this last year that said the mx and fuel costs would pay off an engine change in 10 years.
View Quote
Boeing has a nifty infomercial on re-engineing the B52
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That’s a stupid and shitty reason not to go with 4 vs 8 engines.  Accessory drive gearboxes can run two generators, two hydraulic pumps, etc.  They do it every day on many aircraft.
View Quote
Yeah, you’d think that the whole 8 engine thing can be overcome.
Stress guys say otherwise.
APUs can be used for extra power
All the wiring will have to be junked, so it can be routed as needed.

B-52 is still dropping lots of ordnance; they’re wiping out the drug operations that ISIS uses for money.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Incorrect.  The H's are flying with the same type engine Boeing hung on them in 1962.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the way the article read to me and then it went on to say that they would be outdated by 2030.

I  did the math and was like,  holy shit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, a series of about 6-8 YouTube videos.
I watched them all; pretty thorough.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#32]
amazing

My dad worked on the project that converted the entire fleet to water injection engines
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Putting 8 biz jet engines like BR725's in the nacelles means you don't have to go thru all the aero and recert stuff and importantly, no new struts and interfaces. Lots and lots less money. All you really have to do is the electronic and plumbing integration.
View Quote
That wire routing effort is massive.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad, I thought the whole fleet of turds came with J57s.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is getting ridiculous.  The cost of keeping 76 airplanes flying has to have a breath taking high per airplane number.

The services had better speed up their Big Plans for airplane mods and life extension, when the Dims take over all that will get crushed and the money moved to social programs.

B-52H production was 102 airplanes.  The last airplanes were built in 1962.
View Quote
What assurances have we that it won't end up in a giant boondoggle like the last few AF development programs?

Maybe new engines are all we can trust 'em with at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't believe the airframes are still flight worthy when you think of how many hours they must average by now. Still it doesn't take anything super modern or gee whizz to bomb goat herders in Asscrackistan.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No that piece of shit already got "new" engines once. This would be the third engine.
View Quote
B-52 and Piece of shit shouldn't be in the same sentence!

Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No that piece of shit already got "new" engines once. This would be the third engine.

Ask the poor bastards that maintain them what a jewel they are. It was a great plane in its youth, but there are many good reasons we don’t fly 707s in passenger service anymore.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Stop saying bizjet engines. Only the largest of bizjet engines produces the same thrust.....

Edit:
I forgot this is GD, you guys all fly around in BBJs, 1000s, g600s, global express. Maybe the poorest of you guys flies around in a citation 10.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Could we produce more B1’s ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They'll use some off the shelf bizjet/regional jet engine. Stupid low hanging outer nacelles won't allow use of four actual modern engines instead of eight ridiculously small ones.
View Quote
Two under wing engines.  Two somewhere else.  A-10 or 727 style.  Maybe double decker the engines on top of the wing.

Maybe they should just tow the B-52's with 747's.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Those planes will still be flying when my grandchildren are senior citizens
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought the B-21 was effectively the replacement for the B-52?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You're not getting four engines unless you get a different rudder (not going to happen) or some crazy flight control logic (not going to happen.)

Most biz jet engines are too small. If it happens it will be 8 of the baby GE's that they have on the a10, e175, e195 etc..... I think Boeing has been working on this recently with cf34s. I don't know how far it went....

If it does happen I assure you it will be GE unless they find a way to get eight JT8s and limit the drag of the inlets.
View Quote
12 business jet engines under wing. Ride baby, ride on a mystery ship.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#46]
seriously this far in and no dale brown comments
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Those planes will still be flying when my grandchildren are senior citizens
View Quote
It’s an old fashioned Boeing. That sumbich will be around for a while longer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boeing B-52 Re-engine: The Right Choice for the Air Force
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Bud Holland approves
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top