Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2016 1:53:16 PM EDT
Facing a budget crisis, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards says higher education in the state could be compromised. And that includes the possibility of college athletics in Louisiana being canceled.

...Edwards said campuses could run out of money and be forced to shut down in April, highlighting the LSU football team as one program that could be lost as a result of massive cuts to higher education funding.
View Quote

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14764642/louisiana-gov-john-bel-edwards-threatens-future-lsu-tigers-football-tax-proposals-passed

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Threating to cancel a football game due to lack of money
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That's surprising.  I thought most of the "big" Div I schools' football programs were pretty much self-sufficient from booster/outside money anyway.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's surprising.  I thought most of the "big" Div I schools' football programs were pretty much self-sufficient from booster/outside money anyway.
View Quote

No, very few (athletic programs), most run in the red, there are only a handful of the Div 1 that are actually run like a business.

Edit: Granted its old, but this is the most recent one I could find. Here

Edit: I meant the whole athletic program, not just football by itself.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know how much money LSU football brings in?

Riiiight....
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
More than likely to cancel education if favor of retaining the football program.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tennessee football has funded the entire athletic department for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Empty threats trying to get his way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Scare tactics.

I don't have a problem with shutting football down if there's no money, but that shit ain't gonna happen and we all know it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Facing a budget crisis, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards says higher education in the state could be compromised. And that includes the possibility of college athletics in Louisiana being canceled.

...Edwards said campuses could run out of money and be forced to shut down in April, highlighting the LSU football team as one program that could be lost as a result of massive cuts to higher education funding.
View Quote

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14764642/louisiana-gov-john-bel-edwards-threatens-future-lsu-tigers-football-tax-proposals-passed

View Quote
New dem gov, gatta scare the conservatives into giving in on taxes somehow.

Notice how this is pared with the largest tax hike in state history.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, very few, most run in the red, there are only a handful of the Div 1 that are actually run like a business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, very few, most run in the red, there are only a handful of the Div 1 that are actually run like a business.

No, he's right.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
^^^^^

Exactly. Just trying to ramp up booster donations after the Les Miles debacle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't believe it. College football for major D1 schools is a big money maker. Quick google showed this from the usa today fwiw

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If LSU is like the other SEC schools, football revenues pay for all the other sports, plus a tidy profit. They might cut other stuff, but not playing football will never fly. Jindal would be LITERALLY run out of town. It would get ugly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS tend to run in the red.

FOOTBALL PROGRAMS tend not to.

Generally almost all an athletic departments income comes from Football and Men's Basketball.

Everything else is an expense on the athletic department.

There are exceptions, but not at big schools.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
75% of college students don't need to ever see a classroom/lecture. It a money grab to keep teachers and unions flush with cash. I have had many a person with a four year degree, in debt tens of thousands of dollars, serve me coffee as I took my military/tech school ass to my six figure job. It's a bullshit, outdated system. My buddy is going home right now to study for a biology test to get his Business Management degree Who comes up with this bullshit?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Threats from a useless turd of a govenor.  He had no problem giving all his cronies in state government raises.  How about we just cancel all of his fundraisers, se the govenors mansion and move him into section 8 housing to save some money.  Bug eyed jackass
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess Phil hasn't got their Alumni letter yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Take a look at though, take out the subsidy line and a lot go from profitable to not. Im not saying LA gov is right, its a blatant scare tactic and these numbers I'm sure are fudged to in both directions depending how schools have their athletic departments broken up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Generally almost all an athletic departments income comes from Football and Men's Basketball.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my fault, I thought he was referring to the athletic department in general, not just football programs. If your football program isn't profitable there is something seriously wrong.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's right.

And the SEC wins again
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't believe it. College football for major D1 schools is a big money maker. Quick google showed this from the usa today fwiw

<a href="http://s628.photobucket.com/user/stk016/media/rev.png.html" target="_blank">http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/stk016/rev.png</a>
View Quote

How much of that money goes to the state?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#22]
He's just trying to 'make it hurt.' Edwards is nothing but an Obama shill.

Also, LSU football isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Riiiight....
View Quote

According to Forbes
Revenue 86 mil
operating income 58mil

The 4th most valuable team

Texas
ND
Tn
LSU
MI
GA
OH S
AL
OK
Auburn
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Take a look at though, take out the subsidy line and a lot go from profitable to not. Im not saying LA gov is right, its a blatant scare tactic and these numbers I'm sure are fudged to in both directions depending how schools have their athletic departments broken up.
View Quote

That doesn't seem to be broken down by sport. But even so, it would be interesting to see the football only numbers. Football may have the most revenue, but you can be sure they have the most expenses too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If LSU is like the other SEC schools, football revenues pay for all the other sports, plus a tidy profit. They might cut other stuff, but not playing football will never fly. Jindal would be LITERALLY run out of town. It would get ugly.
View Quote

It's not that they would cancel the football program. He's claiming that the State University system will run out of money in April, which would force LSU to shut down, meaning that all students will get incompletes for the spring semester, the result of which being that the student athletes will be ineligible to play in the fall semester.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he's right.

Okie State brings in more than I thought.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's right.

T Boone's been good to them.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Empty threats trying to get his way.
View Quote

Ain't happening.  Football pays the bills
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Riiiight....
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#30]
This sounds like mayors threatening to cut back police and firefighters except this is to  scare the nascar crowd
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Jindal isn't the governor anymore. This is democrat John Edwards

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Democrats: We'll make you do what we want, even if we have to take hostages.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Lol

"Republicans for Edwards"

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#34]
That's cause they elected 'Mary-bell'... And he's an obmite.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#35]

LSU, some of the most rabid foosball fans in all of college sports.  Riiiiiiiiiight...

I think they will have all the money they need for their silly game this fall.  STEM classes may not get gas for their Bunsen burners, or new equipment for the labs, but there will always be silly games at their institute of higher "learning".
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Riiiight....
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its their new Democrat Gov. John Bel Edwards
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#38]
This is a dumb threat if this is a threat. What blue chip talent is going to commit to a school that has rumors of a cancelled season?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

According to Forbes
Revenue 86 mil
operating income 58mil

Texas
ND
Tn
LSU
MI
GA
OH S
AL
OK
Auburn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riiiight....

According to Forbes
Revenue 86 mil
operating income 58mil

Texas
ND
Tn
LSU
MI
GA
OH S
AL
OK
Auburn

If you have no athletics at the public schools, those students seeking athletic scholarships will just migrate over to private schools.

Notice how #2 is Notre Dame, a private institution!

GO IRISH!

Chris
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Fpni
What a bunch boobs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's not that they would cancel the football program. He's claiming that the State University system will run out of money in April, which would force LSU to shut down, meaning that all students will get incompletes for the spring semester, the result of which being that the student athletes will be ineligible to play in the fall semester.

View Quote
That's absurd.  LSU athletes don't need to attend class to get their C's.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#42]
"The Democratic governor is pushing for tax increases to help make up a $940 million budget deficit by the end of June."

How the hell did they run up a $940 million deficit?  Isn't this Edwards (D) first year?  And wasn't Jindal (R) the previous governor?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Governor Edwards should absolutely take action that will directly result in LSU losing a season of football.  He will be greatly admired for his leadership, his popularity will soar and this will virtually guarantee him huge numbers of votes in his next re-election campaign.  This has all the hallmarks of a well thought out plan indeed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Is this the educational equivalent of "if we cut the budget the police and fire go first" thing?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd love to see college sports go away completely.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is a dumb threat if this is a threat. What blue chip talent is going to commit to a school that has rumors of a cancelled season?
View Quote

Signing day was about a week ago so they timed it just right
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
"The Democratic governor is pushing for tax increases to help make up a $940 million budget deficit by the end of June."

How the hell did they run up a $940 million deficit?  Isn't this Edwards (D) first year?  And wasn't Jindal (R) the previous governor?
View Quote

I thought 940 million was bad until I read that next year they expect to have a 2 billion dollar shortfall. How in the world?!?!

Edit: "the state will face a similar problem the following fiscal year, when Louisiana faces a $2 billion budget shortfall" I wonder if that is on top of the 940 million this year.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Scare tactic, fuck that liberal tax raising piece of shit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Considering LSU football donates $10 million per year to the general LSU fund for the last 10 years it won't happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top