Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2024 2:09:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAffiliate]
The dude is a self-made NY stock trader-maybe 43 YO. Shares he knows Trump Jr. and was texting him the other day. Moved to an overall conservative neighborhood mid-class ($350-1mil homes)-we are neighbors. Overall a good guy. Bought 3 Bonjagles with a partner. I think this dude has cash.

We got to talking about how his wife is upset because he didn't want to put on a home addition and his wife is mad. Anyway, here I am, thinking what a fucked up economy we are in, we starting to talk about the cost of everything, how he believes the world is going through a reverse globalization, and I mention that the economy has strained our family. We make $200k a year as a family.

He tells me that the economy is FINE and the prices are what they should be at. WTF.

Help me to understand what he is talking about?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I don't understand
View Quote

Me as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok get ready for an unpopular opinion.

Things can be less than ideal without being catastrophic.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TheAffiliate:
The dude is a self-made NY stock trader-maybe 43 YO. Shares he knows Trump Jr. and was texting him the other day. Moved to an overall conservative neighborhood mid-class ($350-1mil homes)-we are neighbors. Overall a good guy. Bought 3 Bonjagles with a partner. I think this dude has cash.

We got to talking about how his wife is upset because he didn't want to put on a home addition and his wife is mad. Anyway, here I am, thinking what a fucked up economy we are in, we starting to talk about the cost of everything, how he believes the world is going through a reverse globalization, and I mention that the economy has strained our family. We make $200k a year as a family.

He tells me that the economy is FINE and the prices are what they should be at. WTF.

View Quote

Some people believe the market sets prices.
Thus, the market is never wrong.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

View Quote

No we are on the verge of eating the family pet bro
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Will Bojangles be open during the hurricane?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Eh, my personal perspective and completely anecdotal. None of my habits have changed in the last 4 years, but this year year I've really had to start cutting out things that I normally took for granted, and that's just in order to keep the same amount of money coming in at the end of the month that I'm used to saving. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like he's comfortable enough to be insulated from all the real actual suffering all this economic fuckery is causing, so he can continue to live in theory world with Janet and Jerome and the other masters of the financial universe and never actually have to look the consequences in the face.

...and in case the bootstrap brigade charges through or anything, I'm fine, thanks for asking. I consider myself very fortunate to be in a relatively stable place, I'm working increasingly hard to stay that way, and I still curse the existence of all the feckless assholes in DC who drove us into this clown show of an economy every time whenever I stop for gas or groceries.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems pretty simple

He has money so therefore the economy is fine.

He's one of many who so long as they can pay the bills and buy toys, they don't bother to objectively look at the current situation and realize that it sucks for most.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The prices are fine.. for HIM.
Not sure why he would be pontificating on others as his only concern is his own family..
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Imagine you can get chicken for $5 per pound from China, or $10 per pound from US suppliers.  Getting it from China is cheaper, but it helps the economy of a country that is opposed to us and doesn't help American farmers.

Imagine you can hire illegal immigrants for $7.50 an hour under the table, or US high schoolers for $15 an hour.  The immigrants don't pay taxes, and without jobs the high schoolers don't learn a work ethic and don't turn around and spend all their money back into our economy (the illegals are sending a bunch of it back to Mexico).

If he believes we're going through reverse-globalization, we're cutting out these foreign suppliers, foreign workers, and "onshoring" everything.  Things cost more, but it's what they're suppose to cost for everything being American-made.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

View Quote
There's some things I've quit paying for. Until everyone does this they're probably right.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Just because he gives you an answer you don’t like doesn’t mean he’s not conservative. What he’s trying to tell you is that when trump printed 8 trillion dollars, shut down the supply chains, sent direct to you irs bank deposits while drastically increasing demand, and Biden expanded all the trump policies, inflation happens. Due to said inflation, prices are where they should be.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Humble brag thread.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:26:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#15]
My weekly grocery bill just jumped another $40, nobody’s wage has, so fuck him.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
How do you figure his personal politics factor into this at all?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
How do you figure his personal politics factor into this at all?
View Quote

I guess I assumed that he was a traditional conservative-would share in the pain of rising prices and asshole in chief in office. Maybe I was wrong.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]
High prices are supposed to stop or slow spending.
When consumer demand slows, this has an affect on inflation.

The spending hasn’t slowed sufficiently to slow inflation.
so prices are going to stay right where they are.

There are other factors in the economy that affect the supply/demand curve.
There are also factors in the supply chain.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Trumps not a conservative,  so why would you assume his texting  friend would be?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
The market sets the price, like it or not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mancat:
Seems pretty simple

He's one of many who so long as they can pay the bills and buy toys, they don't bother to objectively look at the current situation and realize that it sucks for most.
View Quote

This.

Most households in America don't make a combined income over $100k. The economy is hurting most people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Nobody can explain a libtard's "logic".
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CZRider:
Sounds like he's comfortable enough to be insulated from all the real actual suffering all this economic fuckery is causing, so he can continue to live in theory world with Janet and Jerome and the other masters of the financial universe and never actually have to look the consequences in the face.

...and in case the bootstrap brigade charges through or anything, I'm fine, thanks for asking. I consider myself very fortunate to be in a relatively stable place, I'm working increasingly hard to stay that way, and I still curse the existence of all the feckless assholes in DC who drove us into this clown show of an economy every time whenever I stop for gas or groceries.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I believe this myself, since I have never seen any one argue with the market and win.  Doesn't mean the market will be the same tomorrow as it was today or yesterday, however.  I think this is what causes some confusion.
The market is always right.  If an asset you bought moved up dramatically, it was because the market re-priced it, not because it was wrong at the time you bought that asset.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
He’s just yapping.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Things are not too bad, or even good if you're a biden voter.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I fail to see how his position makes him conservative or liberal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a cunt like that on one of our town Facebook pages,every time somebody says something about the Brandon economy and prices he always spits out the He's doing great and things are fantastic.
It's infuriating.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

This.

Most households in America don't make a combined income over $100k. The economy is hurting most people.
View Quote

There are idiots that believe voting for Biden again will make it better, or any amount of economic suffering is ok as long as it keeps Trump out of office.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Where do you live op? Maybe he thinks things are cheap compared to NY cost. Also most NY conservatives are moderate liberals in the rest of the country .
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

You just learned what a NY conservative looks like.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By kitwulfen:

Imagine you can get chicken for $5 per pound from China, or $10 per pound from US suppliers.  Getting it from China is cheaper, but it helps the economy of a country that is opposed to us and doesn't help American farmers.

Imagine you can hire illegal immigrants for $7.50 an hour under the table, or US high schoolers for $15 an hour.  The immigrants don't pay taxes, and without jobs the high schoolers don't learn a work ethic and don't turn around and spend all their money back into our economy (the illegals are sending a bunch of it back to Mexico).

If he believes we're going through reverse-globalization, we're cutting out these foreign suppliers, foreign workers, and "onshoring" everything.  Things cost more, but it's what they're suppose to cost for everything being American-made.
View Quote

We also conveniently ignore these simple fact that globalization and illegal immigration are work around for the environmental regs, safety regs, and worker protection laws passed.

I really doubt illegals will get SS, or get workers comp, and definitely can't complain about the violation of safety laws they possibly encounter.

We all know China don't give a fuck, and have suicide nets in their factories.  Our leaders are probably jealous that the Rockefeller types never thought of a suicide net back in our hay day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#34]
We haven't changed anything, infact we added another horse to the property a week ago.  We picked him up from the BLM capture corrals so my daughter can train him, but he eats just as much as her show horse.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RAINBOW6:

There are idiots that believe voting for Biden again will make it better, or any amount of economic suffering is ok as long as it keeps Trump out of office.
View Quote

Not with the poors I live around.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Except we haven’t had an actual free market since 1965, and it has been actively used since 1989 to push what ever vission the current ruling party has and to enrich their cronies while feeding their pets.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Seems pretty simple

View Quote

That is my father, stepmom and her daughter.  My father and stepmom are going to Europe for three months so she can ride horses at all those world famous riding schools.  Her daughter and her husband bought a house in the Netherlands and both of them are teachers in Washington State.  They travel to Europe four or five times a year.  

My father doesn't understand that since I am retired and only 46 that I can't just pick up and leave when I want. My wife still works as a nurse and I spend time working around the property and taking my daughter to riding lessons.  Plus i spent all my kids childhood on Active duty and missed everything.  I am trying to play catch up here.  

I will admit though my wife still working and dealing with PTO keeps me grounded a bit.  It was nice when I worked and she didn't, I could schedule leave whenever I wanted as I knew the training schedule a whole year out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's what I've noticed.  People from New York or Kalifornia THINK they're conservative because, by comparison to the rest of fucking morons they are.

When they move to an actual conservative area...the old lib habits come out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#39]
His concept of things costing what they should would make some sense if we were actually manufacturing our own stuff instead of everywhere else, but since we aren't, NO...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Seems pretty simple
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I do not understand.

I also do not understand why you didnt ask him what he meant.  A simple, “hey man, I dont get it, can you explain that part for me?”
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

View Quote

That's a round about way of saying that at a certain level of wealth, everyday expenses doubling isn't a big deal because food and fuel are a much smaller portion of your income.

People who spend 10% of their income on food and fuel would be spending 20% if these items doubled.  People for whom it increases from 1% to 2% probably don't give a shit and wonder what all the complaining is about.  And that's exactly the situation when you have working poors who make $50k a year compared to $500k a year.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

That's a round about way of saying that at a certain level of wealth, everyday expenses doubling isn't a big deal because food and fuel are a much smaller portion of your income.

People who spend 10% of their income on food and fuel would be spending 20% if these items doubled.  People for whom it increases from 1% to 2% probably don't give a shit and wonder what all the complaining is about.  And that's exactly the situation when you have working poors who make $50k a year compared to $500k a year.
View Quote

According to GD, those people would be fine if they didnt get the latest iPhone and drink Starbucks daily.  Amirite?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#44]
What the fuck is a bonjagle? Why did he need three?

Also, I heard they want to start taxing my disability payments. Taxation is theft!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll take a crack at it. If he's talking about reverse globalization, then he's probably taking the point of view that prices will necessarily have to be higher in a domestically dominated economy. That doesn't mean it's fine now so I'm not entirely sure why he said that, but yes, if we curtail imports, things will be more expensive. Globalism's honestly been a huge band aid covering up just how inflated our currency really is.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Whole lotta unresolved sexual tension in OP's post.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I remember how people were overjoyed with their TrumpBux but seem unhappy with the side effect.  TrumpBux brought such joy to the masses that Brandon wouldn’t be outdone and thus we had BidenBux as well.  This is what happens when you elevate the national debt from 21 trillion to nearly 34 trillion in just a few years through direct depositing cash in people’s bank accounts.  Who’d have thought all this extra money would’ve heated demand thus causing inflation?  Honestly, who would’ve put that cause and effect together?  Hmmm….
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CZRider:

View Quote

This.  Guy is well enough off it doesnt phase him one bit.  

Remember- inflation is a tax on the middle class.  

Low income isnt really affected- they still get $$$ from uncle sugar who is increasing that subsidy.

The rich dont feel it either.  Shit they have is really expensive anyways.  

Us?   Yeah, we are slammed as a result of this.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By zer0t:
I remember how people were overjoyed with their TrumpBux but seem unhappy with the side effect.  TrumpBux brought such joy to the masses that Brandon wouldn't be outdone and thus we had BidenBux as well.  This is what happens when you elevate the national debt from 21 trillion to nearly 34 trillion in just a few years through direct depositing cash in people's bank accounts.  Who'd have thought all this extra money would've heated demand thus causing inflation?  Honestly, who would've put that cause and effect together?  Hmmm .
View Quote
It wouldn't be as big of a deal if money was flowing more to the working class, but it's largely not. If wages aren't keeping up with inflation, the two options are to either pay people more, or import cheaper shit/labor. Corporations have relied on the latter to the maximal extent that they can, and we're starting to see the limits of that. The cheap foreign shit's getting expensive, and some things, like homes, really can't be imported.

The problem is fixable, but it will get a lot worse before it gets better.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Seems pretty simple

View Quote

A recession is when your buddy loses a job; a depression is when you lose yours.

Sounds clueless OP.  Especially if he's citing CPI inflation stats unironically to bolster his argument.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top