Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/16/2023 11:32:30 AM EDT
For those that have one, what role does it serve other than a safe queen or range toy??

I have one.  It's usually wearing a silencer.  However, in the year or so I've had it, I've shot it once and then mostly fondle it when watching 80's action movies.  Other than that, it stands guard in my office.  But if someone were to break in, I'd most likely grab the AR that stands right next to it.  The MP5 is heavier, bulkier, shoots a less powerful round, I only have three mags for it.  Hell, I don't even have a red dot or sling on it.  I'm not contemplating selling it.  But do these have more use than I'm seeing?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
This sounds like a you problem vice an MP5 problem

ETA: I shoot my PPCs more than my rifles if I’m just going to the range to play around.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#2]
have you not seen the Die Hard christmas documentary, brother?

not much you can't do with an MP5.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#3]
You “slap it” in a briefcase to handle business while looking the business!

Then you slap a mofo with the briefcase when you outta ammo.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This sounds like a you problem vice an MP5 problem

ETA: I shoot my PPCs more than my rifles if I’m just going to the range to play around.
View Quote

Quoted:
have you not seen the Die Hard christmas documentary, brother?

not much you can't do with an MP5.
View Quote

Quoted:
You “slap it” in a briefcase to handle business while looking the business!

Then you slap a mofo with the briefcase when you outta ammo.
View Quote

Ok, so three replies.....all of them saying movie fondler or range toy.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
They are a novelty in semi auto models. Like most subguns, they shine in f/a. Stupid NFA...
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It's probably one of the best HD guns you can get, if such gun is to be used by all members of your household and not just you.

Women, girls and boys have a lot less strength in their hands and forearms, and an AR type rifle is too unwieldy for them to master in terms of manual of arms.

Ask a 13 year old girl to lock the action back on an AR (as if to clear a double feed) and you'll see.

They also aren't going to be very much into shooting your 10.25" AR with a suppressor, and having the gas exploding in their face with every pull of the trigger. Which means they'll shoot it, but they'll want to stop pretty quickly.

Now try an MP5.  

They can lock it open easily, and with authority. They'll also shoot it all gawddam day too, increasing familiarity and building skill and muscle memory.

And they'll be combat effective with it in 1/10 the time it would take with a pistol.

Unless you fear the Spetsnaz conducting entry into your house, you aren't going to be outgunned with 30 rounds of good quality carry ammo in the gun, and another one right behind it in a double mag clip.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Truck Gun

Put a binary on it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
It is a backpack gun for me.

Odd the MP5 and AR15 have both been around since the 60s and we’re just now realizing the AR is superior.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Better options in SA and FA these days for.doing things. MP5 is mostly a range toy these days. it can still work but is no longer top dog.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are a novelty in semi auto models. Like most subguns, they shine in f/a. Stupid NFA...
View Quote

I will say, my Glock (and P80) in their chassis are amazing guns!!! Low recoil, lighter in weight, very accurate, I can use my can, and they store an extra 33rd mag on board!
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For those that have one, what role does it serve other than a safe queen or range toy??

I have one.  It's usually wearing a silencer.  However, in the year or so I've had it, I've shot it once and then mostly fondle it when watching 80's action movies.  Other than that, it stands guard in my office.  But if someone were to break in, I'd most likely grab the AR that stands right next to it.  The MP5 is heavier, bulkier, shoots a less powerful round, I only have three mags for it.  Hell, I don't even have a red dot or sling on it.  I'm not contemplating selling it.  But do these have more use than I'm seeing?

Thanks!
View Quote

Mine is a range toy. Sometimes it gets bedside duty. I get it out to let friends shoot it so they can say that they’ve shot an MP5. Let’s face it though, pretty much all of our stuff falls into that category unless you’re military or LE. Some of my guns can and have be used for hunting but all of my guns that you guys would think were cool aren’t practical for any real world use for my middle age slightly overweight boring ass.

Funny story, when I first got my MP5 I took it down to a buddy of mine who was a seal to show it off. I handed it to him and he wrinkled his nose just a tiny bit and gave me that “I’m trying to be nice to support you in your hobby but this thing sucks look”. I saw his look and asked if he ever got to mess with them. He said that sometimes they might carry one with them to shoot dogs that were barking but that’s about it.

At the end of the day most of us will never use our super tactical toys we’ve collected for its purpose. It’s just fun stuff. Doesn’t have to be practical.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#12]
What are the specs on the AR you have that's lighter than an MP5? How heavy is an MP5 (semiauto), typically?

Been thinking about getting one but am weighing the prons/cons of it over a 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What are the specs on the AR you have that's lighter than an MP5? How heavy is an MP5 (semiauto), typically?

Been thinking about getting one but am weighing the prons/cons of it over a 9mm AR.
View Quote

I don’t know about the gun, but a loaded MP5 magazine is 25-33% heavier than a loaded pmag 30 clip.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weight is always a primary consideration when carrying it around the inside of your home.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I have ar9’s, no mp5 yet. PCC’s are fun, low noise, indoor range approved fun guns. They can be used for serious tasks but being fun is enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Had one as a primary for years. Once the world got serious it was replaced by CAR-15s and then M4's. Still had some SD's for certain tasks.

Regardless of how nice it shoots it's still a big pistol and not of much use getting in and out of the target area. Ask DevGru circa Operation Just Because...
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd rather have an SPC9 from B&T
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much why I got rid of mine. Scratched the itch to own one, loved shooting it in fact, but there was just never a serious use case I could come up with where I'd grab it over an AR.

I'm not really at a place in my life where I can keep many fun guns around though,so I sold it and put the cash towards an AI.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine is often near me in a bag or backpack.

I don't have safe queens and don't fondle myself my guns whilst watching '80s commando movies. They are weapons/tools that could one day guard your life, not toys. Not every situation calls for a rifle.  I have load out bags for many situations.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#20]
A weapon only has as much practical use as you are willing to assign to it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pretty much why I got rid of mine. Scratched the itch to own one, loved shooting it in fact, but there was just never a serious use case I could come up with where I'd grab it over an AR.

I'm not really at a place in my life where I can keep many fun guns around though,so I sold it and put the cash towards an AI.
View Quote

What is an AI?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I don’t consider FA very practical for Hd use, so the notion of a machine gun really doesn’t mean much to me in that role. I like 9mm for most HD applications because it’s quieter and has less flash, especially with a suppressor. The MP5k and other smaller 9mm rifles (I personally like the B&T GHM9K and TP9, as well as the APC9K) serve that purpose well. They’re extremely easy to shoot for novices with minimal training and don’t cause immediate night blindness or deafness which can affect your situational awareness.

Obviously, a rifle caliber is superior by a wide margin, but even a semi 9mm rifle is extremely effective when balanced against the concussion and flash of a rifle in a closed environment. I’ve done a bit of indoor shooting/room clearing classes and a 10.3” MK18 with a silencer is still pretty disorienting for a new shooter without ear or eye protection. MP5 with a silencer? Literally like an airsoft of steroids in terms of the effects on the shooter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Like shotguns and revolvers, an MP5 can be an effective tool in the hands of someone with the ability run it well - there are just better choices in the modern world.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Safe queen/range toy
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What is an AI?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Accuracy International, and in my case an AT in 6.5 Creed for hunting. I'll use this one for coyotes Feb-May, pigs all summer and deer Nov-January.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Had a select fire years ago. Bought it when they were around $7k. Sold it when they hit $25k.
When it wasn't in the safe or going to the range, it lived behind my nightstand in a case. Yep, I used an MP5 as a home defense gun. Also kept a G17 in a drawer in the night stand.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#27]
They are historical and neat, there are much better pistol caliber SBRs out there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd rather have an SPC9 from B&T
View Quote

That's also respectable IMO.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]
None. It is a range/movie toy. I too have one with a silencer. It is fun to shoot, but for defensive use I would take an AR everyday over it. That said, I also will keep it because it is a fun toy. I bought it knowing full well it would just be a fun gun to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#30]
They've made rifle caliber guns so small now, pistol cartridge guns are going the way of the DoDo Bird.  Any pistol round is marginal at best, compared to rifle rounds.  357/44mag are an exception to the rule of course, at handgun distances.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, you need more mags. I have both the full size and the K versions. The K version stays in a computer case. I take it on vacation. The full size is beside my computer. I can grab it quickly and it stores out of the way. My wife and daughter in law both love it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve always liked the K version better.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#33]
When you need to dump at close quarter a lot of bullets fast, use a SMG.   I can see their utility in repelling a home invasion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine is my HD gun. Sure, my 12” LMT shovelnose with a K can is probably more effective, but a suppresed SP5 loaded with 60 rounds of 147g hollow points is much friendlier to the ears indoors.

And double taps are easy with the binary.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't care if it will just be a range toy, I still want an MP5.  Maybe I'll finally get one next year.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't hesitate to use mine for HD if that's what was closest to me when I needed it.  Like a home invasion while I'm watching "Die Hard".  

It's also a gun I'll never get rid of.  Since I put a lot of time and effort into building it.  Going to SBR it soon.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I have an SBR MPX with an Omega 9K.  Obviously not an MP5 but similar footprint.  Because it’s a two stamp gun it lives in the safe, so I don’t use it for HD.  If I expected I’d need a weapon, I’d grab the 5.56.  

With 147 grain subs it’s probably the most popular range toy I own.  Everyone wants to put rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#38]
My MPX has controls in the same places as ARs.  It makes a cheap training gun (ammo wise) for short range drills while still having recoil, unlike a .22.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#39]
A suppressed PCC makes a handy critter getter and its another weapon to keep bedside in addition to your HD rifle(s).
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Short range rifle. Light. Handy. Reliable. Small.

200 yards capable

They are shooting at light 357 magnum velocities with nato pressure stuff

Suppresses great with heavy ammo

I honestly would probably grab it before my AR simply because I haven't touched my AR much in the last several years
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

But if someone were to break in, I'd most likely grab the AR that stands right next to it.  The MP5 is heavier, bulkier, shoots a less powerful round ….
View Quote

I think you’ve answered your own question. I love my SP5, and I wouldn’t be happy if I had to get rid of it, but for serious use a pistol caliber is way down on my list of preffered ammo choices.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/SP5-owners-What-is-primary-role-Would-you-buy-again-/9-523454/
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes ... they're a fun range toy.

But in my mind, if SHTF and circumstances dictate that I'd have to abandon my small ammo fort, because I got outfoxed by the FSA, then having a MP5 or other PCC , along with my AR15(s) would be a valuable weapon to take.

I know ARFCOM believes that 5.56mm will be under every cardboard box, and it'll be laying around like manna from heaven. My take is 9mm is the most common round in 'Merica, and to have a shouldered weapon than uses it would be a great asset. I'd venture to say they're "exponentially" more 9mm pistols in the US than 5.56 weapons. So 9mm may be a bit easier to acquire.

Is 9mm as effective as 5.56mm? Obviously not. But it'll still put fuckers down if you do your part.

My 2¢ worth.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#43]
9mm will be a lot easier on the ears if you have to fire it indoors and aren’t in a suppressor friendly state.

Even if you are, still much easier on the ears.

I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable using any of mine for home defense.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#44]
GD: A 9mm handgun is a respectable home defense choice.

Also GD: 9mm out of a PCC ain't nuttin-butta range toy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I would've really liked to buy one, and an uzi too, but I just don't see the point in having a submachine gun that's semi-auto only. I can't bring myself to do it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

super awesome for zapping stray critters that come into the farmyard at night.  Silenced and subsonic ammo, 3rd burst to the central body cavity, dig hole and done

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#47]
They are one of the classic PCCs for sure, like the Uzi, and worthy of adding to any collection. For many years they were priced beyond reach but competition has really brought down the price to where most can finally afford one.

You gotta be creative to enjoy the MP5...Mine has a Franklin trigger and I don't do mag dumps, but I do A LOT of double taps with it, trying to master that skill. And it is much easier to do double taps with the MP5 than with an AR, from a controllability point. Honestly though, for HD, my immediate choice is my nightstand Glock19 in hopes that I can get to the safe and get my 300BO AR pistol.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And double taps are easy with the binary.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273943/IMG_0729_jpeg-3061185.JPG
View Quote

I think the combination with the binary is where the MP5 really shines. The distances inside my home are well within my current double-taps skills to where I can put one in the sternum and the second round near the heart on trigger release. At 25 yards, I find I have to aim at the stomach to get the second round in the shoulder. But, I'm working on it. It's very challenging.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I've played Jingle Bells on steel plates with my SD model.  Seems an appropriate use this time of year...
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#50]
It turns anti 2a people into “how do I get one” people much better than a Gucci ar15
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top