Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/4/2023 12:43:44 PM EDT
Am I doing something wrong?  I do better than that day trading Robinhood.  The account is with Principal. I am in what is called the Lifetime Hybrid 2045 meaning that is my planned retire date.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm up 15% YTD
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You do Day trading, but you don’t know what the Hybrid account holds?

Check that, plus check the fees.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Am I doing something wrong?  I do better than that day trading Robinhood.  The account is with Principal. I am in what is called the Lifetime Hybrid 2045 meaning that is my planned retire date.
View Quote

Get out of target-date funds. The fees will suck you dry.

I invested in some target-date funds when I was younger and more naive. They typically have sky-high fees. The fees are like a parasite, feasting on your money. But they always eat, whether you are making money or losing money.

They also tend to be overly conservative for someone with a decent risk tolerance. I'm 95% sure my portfolio is doing better than that over the same time period.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm up 15% YTD
View Quote

Yea, I am up 11% ytd but over the last 2 years, down 2%.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Bidenomics.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have yet to figure out how to see what they are charging me or invested in. It is like they are trying to hide it from me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You're lucky to have only lost 2%. The guy above saying "I'm up 15% ytd" isn't telling you about how much they've lost over the last couple years. Most likely most than 15% like the rest of us unless they perfectly timed the market which almost no one can pull off. My whole market index fund is just starting to reach the point it was 2 years ago after making a massive drop in the middle due to covid and global supply chain issues and a whole bunch of fed rate hikes. You're in good shape if you only lost 2% for that time period. Leave it alone. Edit: do indeed check the fees and figure out if a whole market index fund is better for you. The thing those do for you is slowly move your money to lower risk bonds etc as you get closer to retirement, but if you pay attention to things and decide your own risk acceptance, you can just do those moves yourself without the fees.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it in Annuty?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm up 15% YTD
View Quote

Doing what exactly?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Down 2% is remarkably poor performance. I highly recommend not day trading.

I blend my own between five different broadly held widely diversified ETFs and I'm up 10.30% over the past year and 9.14% over the last three years, 17.1% year-to-date.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Doing what exactly?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm up 15% YTD

Doing what exactly?

I am too, but only after losing about 40% total value over the first couple years of FJB.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#14]
thats YTD.  He's saying that even with gains this year he's still down from the highs 2yrs ago
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, normal.

Assuming that you are holding some mix of stock and bond index funds.

Broad stock market still down some percent from highs set a year and a half ago.

What are you day trading?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Not awful.

Sp500 over two years.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#17]
For OP yes.  I hit my highs in my various funds in 12/2021.  I'm still about 30k off from those highs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#18]
My "professionally" managed account is the same now as it was when President Potato got installed
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#19]
2022 the S&P tanked, this year its up - 20.62% YTD, 2022 I think it was -18%, which might explain your 2% rise.

*These are based off my TSP fund - C

Funds
C Fund
Common Stock Index Investment Fund
Objective
Match the performance of the Standard and Poor's 500 (S&P 500) Index.

Return
Year-to-date
20.62%

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#20]
My 401k is a little over 4 years old currently.

About half of that time, it's had a negative return.
I'm currently sitting at about +10% now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The S&P 500 has returned just about 7% over the last 2 years (August 2021 to August 2023).

Attachment Attached File

It's not abnormal for a target date fund to under perform the S&P 500 over any give period as they are inherently less aggressive with more in bonds and international equities which have under performed in recent memory.

Your PARTICULAR target date fund is pretty expensive with an expense ratio of 0.41% and being comprised of other funds with expense ratios between 0.16% and 1.03%.  I'm pretty sure these expense ratios stack on top of each other but I could be wrong.  That's cost you at least a 1%-2% of performance over the last two years.

Do you have the ability to switch to a Vanguard target date fund?  Their funds are significantly less expensive both at the top level and at the individual funds within the fund level.  

If you can't do that and there's only one line of target date funds available, one option to consider would be to exit the target date fund you are in and rebuild your desired allocation within your 401k with a combination of more cost efficient funds...if they are offered.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Plus dividends on top of that.  Puts it at about 7%.

I'm presuming OP's number that he's down is total return.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, normal.

Broad stock market still down some percent from highs set a year and a half ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, normal.

I day trade all kinds of stuff. Whatever is moving.  This is totally separate from my retirement account. Just play around money.  My 401K has gone up quite well this year. I figured out they are charging me what appears to be 1%? Does that sound right?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#24]
My 2 year number is -5.2%

YTD is +18.57%

High octane growth.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I've found most of the target date funds suck shit. They have really high fees.

For the most part just try to stick to the basic index funds. They usually have low fees and typically do as good if not better than all the other funds available.

FWIW I just checked I'm averaging 14.5% YTD on mine in Fidelity and 12.56% over the last 1.5 years. I actually need to move it out either into my new companies 401k or into my bigger nest egg IRA. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Target date funds are for the uninformed and ignorant.  

S&P 500 FTW!
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

They takin' OP to the cleaners.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#28]
FUCK joe biden
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I invested in some target-date funds when I was younger and more naive. They typically have sky-high fees. The fees are like a parasite, feasting on your money. But they always eat, whether you are making money or losing money.

They also tend to be overly conservative for someone with a decent risk tolerance. I'm 95% sure my portfolio is doing better than that over the same time period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He should, but there's also the risk of him getting into something else that he doesn't understand or is entirely inappropriate.

I think OP is going to have to go through a period of learning first so he knows where to land when he jumps.

People don't usually end up in very high fee target date funds because they know what they are investing in.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#30]
If you can't figure this out maybe you shouldn't be day trading in robin hood. However, with a target date strategy it is what it is. Stop thinking about it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a meeting with my guy coming up because my SEP and Roth have only gained 6% over the last 5 years. I’m about to lose my cool on him over this. I could’ve just invested in VTI and VOO myself and been up 50-70%. Everything he has me in has either lost money of done Jack shit. Everything I’ve personally bought has done well. This MFS growth fund seems to be a lame duck.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
11% 2 year average. 19% ytd just now.

Heavy in TRLGX.

Best not to get too hung up on daily performance. Keep your emotions out. Especially if you have time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Target date funds are for the uninformed and ignorant.  

S&P 500 FTW!
View Quote

There are some out there that are reasonable.

This is Vanguards 2045 fund:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You can argue that it's too conservative for a retirement date 20+ years out but you can't argue that people holding that fund are getting soaked with fees.  It's less efficient than buying the underlying funds directly but not dramatically so.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
It’s normal with democrats in office.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How much has the account increased in the last 30 days?

2% is pretty damn good in the bear market we're exiting.  Everyone in the market has taken some big hits over the last 15 months.

View Quote

I took a $1M hit this week with the credit downgrade..
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I switched over to a target date retirement fund last fall.  I want to retire at 62, in 6 years.  They are managing and adjusting as need see fits. It’s gone up about $20k, so I can’t complain.  Unless I’m missing something.  I’m at 8 out of 10 for comfort with risk. They did move me to more bonds, but still lower than stock holdings at my request.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm up 15% YTD
View Quote

But you're down from two years ago. And people also have to figure in how much additional money they've contributed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#38]
You have to ask this?

My 401K is up 16% over the last 12 months.

Its not hard.  Max out contributions, get match, put it into an index fund akin to VOO or similar.  

Forget it is there until you are 60.  

YMMV....invest at your own risk.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am too, but only after losing about 40% total value over the first couple years of FJB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm up 15% YTD

Doing what exactly?

Same
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#40]
A low fee target date fund sounds wonderful in theory.  I had a friend who was dead set on one almost a year ago.  I convinced her that if that was the way she was going to go, she should add a decade to her targeted retirement date to keep things a little riskier. Last time I talked to her she was happy with the results.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The S&P 500 has returned just about 7% over the last 2 years (August 2021 to August 2023).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture_JPG-2908080.JPG

It's not abnormal for a target date fund to under perform the S&P 500 over any give period as they are inherently less aggressive with more in bonds and international equities which have under performed in recent memory.

Your PARTICULAR target date fund is pretty expensive with an expense ratio of 0.41% and being comprised of other funds with expense ratios between 0.16% and 1.03%.  I'm pretty sure these expense ratios stack on top of each other but I could be wrong.  That's cost you at least a 1%-2% of performance over the last two years.

Do you have the ability to switch to a Vanguard target date fund?  Their funds are significantly less expensive both at the top level and at the individual funds within the fund level.  

If you can't do that and there's only one line of target date funds available, one option to consider would be to exit the target date fund you are in and rebuild your desired allocation within your 401k with a combination of more cost efficient funds...if they are offered.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture_JPG-2908080.JPG

Interesting.  There is one called the T. Rowe Price/Brown Advisory fund that calls itself a large cap growth fund and it is up 20%+ YTD but was down 18% last year.  So more growth this year but with a smaller starting point considering how much it was down last year.
Not sure I am smart enough for this. I have looked through them all and it appears that they all ended up in a very similar place.  Some lost a shit ton last year and made a shit ton this year, some lost a bit last year and gained a bit this year. The fees for that one say they are 1.14%
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I took a $1M hit this week with the credit downgrade..
View Quote

Is that one mill? I thought only gas was priced in mills.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They takin' OP to the cleaners.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture_JPG-2908086.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture2_JPG-2908087.JPG

I am admittedly ignorant on this, but have a decent amount saved up that I would like to get into the right place. Just not really sure where to start.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I also have a targeted date fund of 2045 and I believe I'm up like 15%

That's not normal OP, need to be on the phone asking questions
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For OP yes.  I hit my highs in my various funds in 12/2021.  I'm still about 30k off from those highs.
View Quote

I am about $10k short of my 12/21 highs.   More than 1% but less than 2% short.

For the moment it means little,.....until you start drawing, then it means a lot.  

OP, your fund manager should have a website where you can compare fund cost/fees.  There can be a huge disparity in the same classes of funds from one management house to the next.   Going for a big name brand may get you that parasitic drain on your growth.   It took a decade to look a little deeper than their 5 and 10 year average returns.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've found most of the target date funds suck shit. They have really high fees.

For the most part just try to stick to the basic index funds. They usually have low fees and typically do as good if not better than all the other funds available.
View Quote

Not all 401(k) plans have index funds available. Some barely have any options aside from the silly target date funds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A low fee target date fund sounds wonderful in theory.  I had a friend who was dead set on one almost a year ago.  I convinced her that if that was the way she was going to go, she should add a decade to her targeted retirement date to keep things a little riskier. Last time I talked to her she was happy with the results.
View Quote

That is what I actually did last year after such a big loss in 2022. I changed it to a 2045 target, even though I could retire in 2037 ish, otherwise I would be down about 4% over the last two years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Targeted date funds are BS plain and simple.  Unfortunately, many 401's have limited choices you'd be better off in a 500 index fund if they offer it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yea, I am up 11% ytd but over the last 2 years, down 2%.
View Quote

I'm up this year and still down over the last two years too.

It's not just you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But you're down from two years ago. And people also have to figure in how much additional money they've contributed.
View Quote

Also two years ago weren’t we alarming that stocks were way over valued and we were due for an adjustment?  We got one, Joe Biden and a democrat sweep cooled the market with their bonehead ideas like shutting down US oil.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top