Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/10/2023 9:12:00 AM EDT
These days people joke about a manual gear box being a good form of theft protection for younger generations.

I just experienced that at this small detailing shop who is giving my M2 and good wash after driving across the state.

The kid doing it, can't be older than 20, jumped in my car to back it into his garage and then jumped right back out and asked me to do. Said he didn't feel comfortable with a manual.

Just thought it was funny experiencing the joke in real life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Agreed
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Born in 83. Learned off a manual.
Not all millennials are phaggots.

Edit also 20 is most likely gen z. But still funny you saw the joke in real life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
At least he didn't attempt it and cause a big lurching stall.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#4]
LoL, the real joke is that millennials are in their 40s now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I don’t think a 20 year old is classified as a millennial.

40 year old millennial here who can drive a manual.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
" a mans got to know his limitations "
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been driving stick longer than he has been alive.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Born in 83. Learned off a manual.
Not all millennials are phaggots.

Edit also 20 is most likely gen z. But still funny you saw the joke in real life.
View Quote

I think people confuse the term with Gen Z and later.  Millennials are old now. (40+)  I'm right at that line between Gen X and Millennials.  My first car in the late 90's was a stick and I remember my pops teaching me to drive it in a parking lot when I was 16.

Regardless; the vast majority of people in the US can't drive a manual transmission.

The kid I sold my old truck to, he was 19.....He was the only person I've ever taught to drive stick with no drama.  Took him to a parking lot...explained to him what physically happens in the transmission when he's pressing the pedal.  Drama free.  I think he stalled it once.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have been driving stick longer than he has been alive.
View Quote

Congrats on being old?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
These days people joke about a manual gear box being a good form of theft protection for younger generations.
I just experienced that at this small detailing shop who is giving my M2 and good wash after driving across the state.
The kid doing it, can't be older than 20, jumped in my car to back it into his garage and then jumped right back out and asked me to do. Said he didn't feel comfortable with a manual.
View Quote
Meh, I'm in my mid-50's, and I'll bet that at least half the people my age can't drive a stick.
Just be happy the kid was honest with you, and didn't fuck up your car trying to wing it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#11]
There are millenials with college aged and adult children...

IMO it's about where and how you were raised, not when.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a millennial, my first 8 years of driving were in a manual mustang

Of course this thread will attract every millennial that can drive stick.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#13]
We have millennials filling out retirement paperwork...
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course this thread will attract every boomer looking for their morning serving of confirmation bias.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#15]
40 year old Millennial here.

I learned how to drive a stick in a Deuce and a Half that the Army bought 6 years before my dad even enlisted.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I know that's why it's in quotes. I see a bumper sticker from time to time that says that.

This kid is gen z.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Of course this thread will attract every boomer looking for their morning serving of confirmation bias.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meh, I'm in my mid-50's, and I'll bet that at least half the people my age can't drive a stick.
Just be happy the kid was honest with you, and didn't fuck up your car trying to wing it.
View Quote

Absolutely! I encouraged him to learn.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Been this way for over a decade now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah most cars these days are automatic. I know how to drive stick, but I'm an old millennial at 40. A 20 year old is actually a Gen Z kid. The only reason I know stick is because my parents taught me. But nobody drives stick anymore unless they are just really into cars. My dad has a WWII Jeep and yeah it's stick, ha
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I don’t know why old people think it’s some giant accomplishment to drive a manual. If I had to drive a manual I would just look up how to do it on YouTube and then 90 seconds later have it figured out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah I know that's why it's in quotes. I see a bumper sticker from time to time that says that.

This kid is gen z.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This kid is gen z.

Those bumper stickers make me want to steal cars and joyride them.

I wonder if some dude out there has been down on his luck, saw one of those stickers, and decided “challenge accepted.”
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I learned to drive on a straight drive.
I'm 68, I'm in my prime.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#24]
pics of M2 not loading there big shooter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don’t know why old people think it’s some giant accomplishment to drive a manual. If I had to drive a manual I would just look up how to do it on YouTube and then 90 seconds later have it figured out.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know why old people think it's some giant accomplishment to drive a manual. If I had to drive a manual I would just look up how to do it on YouTube and then 90 seconds later have it figured out.
View Quote

Listen here sonny, back in their day they drove a manual 90 minutes both ways in stop and go traffic, to their job at the RCA plant, back when they still used vacuum tubes and not that japcrap transistor gobbletyook!
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why would anyone want to steal a millennial?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Millennial here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but it's funny either way.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Meh. It’s not very hard to figure out, but I’ve only driven a couple manuals and that was probably 15 years ago. Still regularly ride a motorcycle so I’m very familiar with the concepts involved. There just aren’t very many manual vehicles around anymore to where it would be intuitive for me.

I wouldn’t want to back up an unfamiliar manual vehicle in a confined area. Just not worth the risk of damaging someone’s property.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Listen here sonny, back in their day they drove a manual 90 minutes both ways in stop and go traffic, to their job at the RCA plant, back when they still used vacuum tubes and not that japcrap transistor gobbletyook!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I’m a millennial that learned to drive stick in the late 90s… you boomers gotta learn your generations, this is embarrassing for you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#33]
@TheWhitePill

i got a GenZ greenhorn who don't know how to throw chains on a truck.

sent that little guy up to the mine in a blizzard and he actually said the phrase "i'll just youtube it when the time comes"

me:
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he's 20, he's not a millennial.

Sincerely,
A millennial that can drive stick.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#35]
In my 40s and actually know a lot more guys my age who can't drive a manual than girls.

Girls in HS always had little econocars which were usually manual back then, so it makes sense.

This thread reminds me that I need to teach my niece and nephew how to drive a manual.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

When trying to make fun of people while calling a 20yr old a millennial.....hahahahahah.

Considering most millennials lived through the stick shift era, OP fails.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Both the family cars growing up were manuals so thats what I got to learn on. Rowing through the gears is still fun sometimes but automatics are muuuuuch easier for commuting.

Funny timing on this thread. My wife was just telling me she wants me to teach the kids to drive a stick. But our cars are automatics. May be time to pick up a 90’s manual car and teach them to fix stuff as well.

Eta born in 86, pretty sure im a millenial
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#38]
My kids learned on a manual.

Their friends think that they are wizards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@TheWhitePill

i got a GenZ greenhorn who don't know how to throw chains on a truck.

sent that little guy up to the mine in a blizzard and he actually said the phrase "i'll just youtube it when the time comes"

me: https://media.tenor.com/jGA01Kx2PioAAAAC/its-always-sunny-dennis-reynolds.gif
View Quote

Well since the last two generations were raised by people that had important things to do like watch Seinfeld or the PGA tour instead of teaching their kids basic skills, you end up with a surrogate parent called the internet.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but it's funny either way.
View Quote
There's some truth to it. I've known people that have self taught stick. There's a skill difference between a professional driver and someone with week behind the wheel, but it isn't some mythical skill that requires decades of apprenticeship under a master artisan. Truthfully it's obsolete for the average driver, and that will only become more true with time, as more and more manual cars hit the graveyard.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Is just starting a thread asking "who here has debilitating autism" not allowed?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Bought a manual vehicle in my early 20's and learned how to drive it on the way home.  It's not some major accomplishment.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well since the last two generations were raised by people that had important things to do like watch Seinfeld or the PGA tour instead of teaching their kids basic skills, you end up with a surrogate parent called the internet.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

note:  i did offer to show him how to throw chains in the nice warm level snow free mud free pahklin' lot before he left.

and he declined.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I had the "Nirvana is now classic music" meme happen once.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Meh. It's not very hard to figure out, but I've only driven a couple manuals and that was probably 15 years ago. Still regularly ride a motorcycle so I'm very familiar with the concepts involved. There just aren't very many manual vehicles around anymore to where it would be intuitive for me.

I wouldn't want to back up an unfamiliar manual vehicle in a confined area. Just not worth the risk of damaging someone's property.
View Quote
Even though it's hands instead of feet, riding a motorcycle definitely helps with the concept of clutch engagement vs throttle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The real joke is that Millennials are between 26-44 by normal listings.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
pics of M2 not loading there big shooter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We have millennials filling out retirement paperwork...
View Quote

At 44?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Jesus it's not about millennials. Just quoting this.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I've driven sticks my whole life.  I've owned 6 or 7 different sticks.  I just enjoy them.

There is nothing remotely difficult about driving them.  The only thing that takes practice is pulling out on a hill.  That's it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top