Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 151
Posted: 1/13/2023 3:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: evnash]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:

No. There are two different SBRs now. One that is free with brace and one that is $200 for a stock
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
The only good to come of this is tax free SBR stamps, with that said, I'm keeping the pistols I've always intended on keeping as pistols, as they are. Now, a few guns that I was planning on sbr'ing over the next couple months, yeah, sure. But here goes under one month form 1 times

Wonder how long this ruling will take to run thru the courts

You can’t. You only get it for free if you keep a brace. If you want a stock then you need to do the regular $200 stamp.

@StrikeEagle15

Please show the class where it says in the final ruling that you have to keep the brace on the gun once it is registered as an SBR. You can't because it isn't in there.

The fact is, there will be no regulatory difference between these new SBR's and any other SBR's. In fact, the BATFE saying braces are stocks lumps them all together and allows you to put any kind of stock you want once your SBR is properly registered and stamped. If you happen to have a lower laying around that you want SBR'd, as well as a brace, go ahead, toss them together with a short barreled upper, and do an eForm 1. Once it is approved, you have a legally registered SBR. You can now replace the brace with any other stock. You just won't be able to put the brace onto another lower until after that lower is registered as an SBR and, at that point, the brace is pointless, so you might as well toss it in the trash.

This is your one chance to build what BATFE now considers an SBR without paying a tax and prior to receiving approval.

No. There are two different SBRs now. One that is free with brace and one that is $200 for a stock

No theres not.

This is how so much misinformation gets spread...shìt like this.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mongo001:

Does this say a brace that can encompass the arm and has some type of attaching device ie: velcro strap that it is legal as is?  Do you have to be a certified handicapped person to posess such a dangerous device?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mongo001:
Originally Posted By FlatRangeOperator:

This rule does not affect "stabilizing braces" that are objectively designed and intended as a "stabilizing brace" for use by individuals with disabilities, and not for shouldering the weapon as a rifle. Such stabilizing braces are designed to conform to the arm and not as a buttstock. However, if the firearm with the "stabilizing brace" is a short-barreled rifle, it needs to be registered within 120-days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Get some doctor to say you have muscle weakness or something

Does this say a brace that can encompass the arm and has some type of attaching device ie: velcro strap that it is legal as is?  Do you have to be a certified handicapped person to posess such a dangerous device?

No.  The last bit clearly states that if the braced weapon is an SBR under their definition, it must be registered, handicapped or not.  They are saying if you have a brace on a non-SBR, the rule doesn't affect you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

In the 90's a bunch of people registered USAS-12's.  Others didn't and now most of been sold as spare parts.

If ATF attempts to convict people based upon their amnesty registrations, they will lose quickly in court.

ATF will lose slowly in court anyways.  They've clearly overstepped current supreme court rulings.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CavScout:
It is a mouse trap: FREE FOOD IN HERE, GO HERE FOR THE ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET anddddd ..SNAP. Dead.

In the 90's a bunch of people registered USAS-12's.  Others didn't and now most of been sold as spare parts.

If ATF attempts to convict people based upon their amnesty registrations, they will lose quickly in court.

ATF will lose slowly in court anyways.  They've clearly overstepped current supreme court rulings.

How has it generally ended globally and historically?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they giving free SBR stamps? Is there any penalty for accidentally filling out some paperwork wrong and trying to register a couple, few, dozen, hundreds of braced firearms that were misplaced and taking up a little more of their resources and time?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
It doesn't matter because of that last sentence:
Virtually all pistols with braces are now SBRs under the final rule, whether you're disabled or not.
View Quote

So only rifle length uppers apply.  Thought so.

Thx.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rudderbutter:

That the ATF can lick my unwiped asshole.
View Quote

Username checks out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

No.  The last bit clearly states that if the braced weapon is an SBR under their definition, it must be registered, handicapped or not.  They are saying if you have a brace on a non-SBR, the rule doesn't affect you.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

View All Quotes
It is a mouse trap: FREE FOOD IN HERE, GO HERE FOR THE ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET anddddd ..SNAP. Dead.

War.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Just move to a free state guys!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Back in the real world there are people who believe the NFA is unconstitutional, but still have registered firearms.

Am I cheering this rule on? No.

Will I make use of it to expand my NFA collections? Yes.

Will I support legal efforts to get this rule overturned? Absolutely.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HRoark87:

Probably that form 4s will take even longer.
View Quote

Of course, this.  

How about wait until it's challenged.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By evnash:

The AG has signed it, giving the atf the go ahead to publish which sets the dates. 120 days from publish date to give up your braces
View Quote

Do we have any idea when the rule will be published? Hours? Days? Weeks?

Enough time for PSA to ship stuff to me?

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

War.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

War.

Unfortunately, no. Disarmament.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]

So millions of new applications. The AFT should have those sorted out by rapture.
View All Quotes

So millions of new applications. The AFT should have those sorted out by rapture.
+1
That's why I piled in anything I even remotely wanted in the last year
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Nutro:
So is this a ban on PISTOLS or pistol BRACES?

With some manufacturers coming out with guns I want in the near future, a pistol version AK was certainly an option I would think. Will they now need to sell it with a side-folding trunnion and a blank rear or even a picatinny rear section or will all guns now be rifles, not pistols.
View Quote

Pistols are still pistols.
If there is nothing at all to shoulder you're gtg.

If you had a 'cheek rest' or 'counterweight' ????????
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dieselman:
Fuck em. Take the brace off and put on a bumpstock instead
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Would be hilarious if Amazon kept selling counterfeit SBA3

They are surprisingly decent
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

No
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xdoctor:
They did not adopt the Worksheet 4999.  

Instead, anything that provides a surface that can be shouldered is a stock.  

Form 1 is free to make your braced gun a SBR.

I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I see.

Is a bare pistol buffer tube now a stock?

No

You sure?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:50:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everrest] [#19]
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
This!

Is having a buffer tube attached to a lower considered a stock now?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:

This!

Is having a buffer tube attached to a lower considered a stock now?

Nothing in the FINAL ruling starting on Pg 268 mention a "Pistol Buffer." However, there is discussion  where they say they, "may consider the requirement for cycling"
Discussion  page 162-163
One objective design feature ATF may consider is whether the attachment is
required for the cycle of operations of the weapon,
which could indicate the firearm is not
designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder.  For example, an AR-type pistol
with a standard 6- to 6-1/2-inch buffer tube may not be designed, made, and intended to
be fired from the shoulder even if the buffer tube provides surface area that allows the
firearm to be shoulder fired. On an AR-type pistol, the buffer tube encases a spring that
drives the bolt forward when the bolt is driven into the buffer tube by the gas from the
initial shot.  The picture below displays the internal function of an AR-15 type rifle.  The
AR-type pistol is a variant of the rifle with the stock removed and has the same receiver
and buffer tube function of the rifle version.
In contrast, if the buffer tube, receiver extension, or other component is not
required for the cycle of operations of the weapon, ATF may conclude it serves no
purpose but to extend the rear surface area of the weapon toward the shooter to provide
surface area for shouldering and to increase the overall length of pull, which in turn
provides a shooter a better aim-point on the firearm and horizontal stabilization to shoulder-fire the firearm.
Page 249-250 In the cost analysis  
With respect to the cost of replacing the buffer tube with a pistol tube, the rule
does not require such a replacement.
The Department also finds it unlikely that these
individuals will purchase a pistol tube; therefore, the cost for a pistol tube was not
included in the final analysis.

They never state that a pistol tube is legal or a standard buffer tube is OK as a "pistol".
The say if you add a folding stock adaptor that can increase the length of pull, thus providing the ability to fire from the shoulder.
The don't say how much area is "allowed" before it is able to be "shouldered".
The Page 290 rifle definition incorporates all of the form 4999 items that let them define a rifle as they want.

Rifle. * * * (1)  For purposes of this definition, the term “designed or redesigned, made or
remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder” shall include a weapon that is
equipped with an accessory, component, or other rearward attachment (e.g., a “stabilizing
brace”) that provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder,
provided other factors, as described in paragraph (2), indicate that the weapon is
designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder.
(2) When a weapon provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from
the shoulder, the following factors shall also be considered in determining whether the
weapon is designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder:

(i)  Whether the weapon has a weight or length consistent with the weight or
length of similarly designed rifles;
(ii) Whether the weapon has a length of pull, measured from the center of the
trigger to the center of the shoulder stock or other rearward accessory, component or
attachment (including an adjustable or telescoping attachment with the ability to lock into
various positions along a buffer tube, receiver extension, or other attachment method),
that is consistent with similarly designed rifles;
(iii) Whether the weapon is equipped with sights or a scope with eye relief that
require the weapon to be fired from the shoulder in order to be used as designed;
(iv) Whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder
is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component, or
other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations
;
(v) The manufacturer’s direct and indirect marketing and promotional materials
indicating the intended use of the weapon; and
(vi) Information demonstrating the likely use of the weapon in the general
community.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:Unfortunately, no. Disarmament.
View Quote

In the mean time, if you want to practice and be proficient with your firearms, I suggest having something on the registry (or only planning on using firearms that don't need to be on the registry).

Machineguns in particular are difficult to practice with inconspicuously.  One thing I really like about bumpstocks is that it made rapid fire much more common.

I think everyone here should have several unregistered, unserialized firearms.  Unfortunately most won't put in the effort to obtain them.

I'm of the opinion this rule will be trashed by the courts anyways.  I'm less rosy about what will happen to SBR's, but hopefully this rule will lead to SBR's being declared in common use and we'll see a partial dissolution of the NFA.

I wish we would see a complete dissolution of the NFA, but I think it's rather unlikely we'll see the courts say machineguns don't need registration.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess foam buffer tune covers will make a comeback.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Could a suppressor be considered accessory?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#23]
In before people start using shooting jackets with huge inserts to take up the LOP lol

You gonna ban clothing now, fedboi?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Well in current society a man can put on a dress, wear makeup, and say they are a woman and people believe it.

I agree though, using a crescent wrench as a hammer, doesn't make the wrench a hammer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Everrest:

Nothing in the FINAL ruling starting on Pg 268 mention a "Pistol Buffer." However, there is discussion  where they say they, "may consider the requirement for cycling"
Discussion  page 162-163
One objective design feature ATF may consider is whether the attachment is
required for the cycle of operations of the weapon,
which could indicate the firearm is not
designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder.  For example, an AR-type pistol
with a standard 6- to 6-1/2-inch buffer tube may not be designed, made, and intended to
be fired from the shoulder even if the buffer tube provides surface area that allows the
firearm to be shoulder fired. On an AR-type pistol, the buffer tube encases a spring that
drives the bolt forward when the bolt is driven into the buffer tube by the gas from the
initial shot.  The picture below displays the internal function of an AR-15 type rifle.  The
AR-type pistol is a variant of the rifle with the stock removed and has the same receiver
and buffer tube function of the rifle version.
In contrast, if the buffer tube, receiver extension, or other component is not
required for the cycle of operations of the weapon, ATF may conclude it serves no
purpose but to extend the rear surface area of the weapon toward the shooter to provide
surface area for shouldering and to increase the overall length of pull, which in turn
provides a shooter a better aim-point on the firearm and horizontal stabilization to shoulder-fire the firearm.
Page 249-250 In the cost analysis  
With respect to the cost of replacing the buffer tube with a pistol tube, the rule
does not require such a replacement.
The Department also finds it u
They never state that a pistol tube is legal or a standard buffer tube is OK as a "pistol".
The say if you add a folding stock adaptor that can increase the length of pull, thus providing the ability to fire from the shoulder.
The don't say how much area is "allowed" before it is  
The Page 290 rifle definition incorporates all of the form 4999 items that let them define a rifle as they want.

View Quote

Intentionally overcomplicated and verbose to hide the fact that anything can be illegal if they say so.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#26]
A braced pistol that is not an sbr can still exist.

If the brace is functional as a brace and short enough not to be practically shoulderable.
And the gun doesn't have short eye relief sights/scope

This sounds like a MORE strict version of the points system.
Now you effectively need zeroes to pass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

No

You sure?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80518/Screenshot_20230113-154602_Acrobat_for_S-2670925.JPG

Someone already posted the complete answer. They mean an attachment that’s not part of the operating parts of the firearm. Because the buffer tube contains the action spring and buffer it’s not an “attachment”
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:53:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Villafuego] [#28]

View All Quotes

Everyone who registered their firearms (after amnesties/reclassifications/etc) now has a transferable NFA weapon, everyone who didn't now has something they have to hide in their crawlspace, or cut into chunks and sell as a parts kit.

Globally? The NFA has been around since about the time Stalin and Hitler came into power, and well before Pol Pot and Mao ......and they haven't been "rounded up" , nor have we been loaded onto boxcars yet

Just fucking stop
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By youngandfree:
I guess foam buffer tune covers will make a comeback.
View Quote
Those would arguably turn the guns into SBRs. Basically anything other than a bare pistol buffer tube would be legally grey.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#30]
What a cluster F.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Do I need to write a note promising that I do not intend to put them back together until the SC pushes the fatf shit in? Does it have to be notarized?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

Everyone who registered their firearms then now has a transferable NFA weapon, everyone who didn't now has something they have to hide in their crawlspace, or cut into chunks and sell as a parts kit.

Globally? The NFA has been around since about the time Stalin and Hitler came into power, and well before Pol Pot and Mao ......and they haven't been "rounded up" , nor have we been loaded onto boxcars yet

Just fucking stop
View Quote

Give it a few more years under biden
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Dieselman:
Fuck em. Take the brace off and put on a bumpstock instead
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Someone already posted the complete answer. They mean an attachment that’s not part of the operating parts of the firearm. Because the buffer tube contains the action spring and buffer it’s not an “attachment”
View All Quotes

No

You sure?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80518/Screenshot_20230113-154602_Acrobat_for_S-2670925.JPG

What if someone started selling a buffer tube in the shape of a buttstock ? No attachment. Its a part that contains the buffer.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#35]
This is going to be one of the most epic ATF shit shows ever. The pistol brace has been around  since 2012 when Alex Bosco sent the brace to the ATF for approval and it was granted.
10 years.  It would be interesting to know how many braces have been manufactured, sold in kits and installed on factory produced firearms.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:

ATF specifically says to keep the email receipt from your submission and you are good to go until either approved or denied.

You would figure that the number of people getting this worked up would at least read the document if it meant that much to them.
View Quote
So, I can pick up my suppressors now

FTATF
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
This is going to be one of the most epic ATF shit shows ever. The pistol brace has been around  since 2012 when Alex Bosco sent the brace to the ATF for approval and it was granted.
10 years.  It would be interesting to know how many braces have been manufactured, sold in kits and installed on factory produced firearms.
View Quote
It's got to be in the millions.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I've held off SBRing a lower because I knew this was coming. If it gets overturned I'll just get more pistol braces lowers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Texas393:

Give it a few more years under biden
View Quote

He won't make it two more weeks.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Everyone who registered their firearms (after amnesties/reclassifications/etc) now has a transferable NFA weapon, everyone who didn't now has something they have to hide in their crawlspace, or cut into chunks and sell as a parts kit.

Just fucking stop
View All Quotes

Just fucking stop

Keep telling yourself that
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By merchantoffreedom:
I've held off SBRing a lower because I knew this was coming. If it gets overturned I'll just get more pistol braces lowers.
View Quote
If this gets overturned, you might not need a brace anymore.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#42]
This is going to get molested not-so tenderly in the courts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Is there a Cliff’s notes version?

TLDR;?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
there are advantages to the pistol over the sbr
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Ok, so I register all my guns as SBR for free, then this rule gets overturned, and now I have free SBRs that I can legally carry in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Back in the real world there are people who believe the NFA is unconstitutional, but still have registered firearms.

Am I cheering this rule on? No.

Will I make use of it to expand my NFA collections? Yes.

Will I support legal efforts to get this rule overturned? Absolutely.
View Quote

Thank you for typing out my thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lucy-Lastic:

What if someone started selling a buffer tube in the shape of a buttstock ? No attachment. Its a part that contains the buffer.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By kzin:
A braced pistol that is not an sbr can still exist.

If the brace is functional as a brace and short enough not to be practically shoulderable.
And the gun doesn't have short eye relief sights/scope

This sounds like a MORE strict version of the points system.
Now you effectively need zeroes to pass.
View Quote

If an Entry stock is usable, what prevents the ATF from claiming anything stuck to a carbine tube can be shouldered?

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By evnash:

The AG has signed it, giving the atf the go ahead to publish which sets the dates. 120 days from publish date to give up your braces
View Quote

No requirement to turn them in
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:10:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spade] [#50]
View All Quotes

Most notable for me was the whole "don't need to tell the ATF you're going out of state a year in advance"

ETA: Oh, and you can conceal a pistol in VA, but not a SBR
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 151
Top Top