Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Maybe - but is the US government willing to bet the population of NYC or DC against that?
View Quote

What are you on about? NYC or DC are not going to see a nuke out of this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Maybe - but is the US government willing to bet the population of NYC or DC against that?

The original discussion for the thread that I'm responding to was a US first strike against Russian nukes.  If we screwed that up NYC and/or DC *would* get launched on.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Kipple:

Serious question: How could that be done without RU lobbing some nukes toward us or whoever?
If we launch nukes first targeted at their launch points, they will see ours and launch as well.
Could we get aircraft into their airspace and strike without them seeing us coming and shoot down the aircraft?
I'm assuming there would be no way for us to get people on the ground to the deed.
I'm also assuming we don't have some sort of star trek lasers on satellites that could do it.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just not comprehending how we could first strike their nukes.
View Quote

Good question.
We'd have to find and track their missile subs and take them out simultaneously.

At the same time strike their land based nukes, either conventionally or by nukes. Same with their mobile launchers.

At the same time, surge and focus our anti-missile systems 110% for the inevitable RU nukes that get launched. Some would get through.

No way in hell Xiden would go along with this. And at this point I agree. Pre-emptive strike on Russia is not on the table in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:05:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]

I personally am not worried about the mobile launched nukes. I doubt they have been maintained for the years they have been bouncing around in those shitty trucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Yep, it is the mobile ground launchers that are the problem. Everything else can be hit within their reaction window.

Our interception capabilities are not up to that task yet, and Europe’s are almost nonexistent.

I personally am not worried about the mobile launched nukes. I doubt they have been maintained for the years they have been bouncing around in those shitty trucks.

Not only that, but ever notice in the videos of them driving out to their launch points that they are pretty straight pathways carefully manicured to not have shrubs and trees in their way?  Nah, we'd never see that on satellite and SAR imagery from billions of dollars of spacecraft and technology dedicated just for finding those.

What interests me is that EVERY guided Russian weapon they took apart in this war has used commercial chips and parts.

Just food for thought, but we celebrated over 400 SM-3 exoatmospheric interceptors made.  They mostly go on mobile Aegis ships, and Aegis ashore bases in Poland, and Romania, and the Japanese navy. These are advertised as ascent and midcourse phase.  Over 500 SM-6 terminal phase Interceptors.   Hundreds of THAAD rounds, 10,000 Patriot rounds.  CHAMP and HiJinks emp cruise missiles, etc.  It was done quietly, but we've been eroding the rules of MAD for awhile, and it is accelerating.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

No, he needs to stay.

That’s his country now.

He abandoned the USA. He wanted to be Russian, now time to do Russian things, like be used as a bulletproof sponge in a war of empire building.
View Quote

Agreed. We don't need him back. He needs to stay and fight for his new country now. He has the mindset of a Russian, and he is a Russian now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Dude was just flexing and showing off his pro player skills.  Next up, the 360 noscope!
View Quote

With a solid hit on a hard target, would it still not fire? I have never fired an RPG but I always assumed those safety caps (I've only seen plastic) are only for normal handling and transport safety and hitting the side of a tank or wall will go boom.

Standing by for an RPG SME.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The original discussion for the thread that I'm responding to was a US first strike against Russian nukes.  If we screwed that up NYC and/or DC *would* get launched on.
View Quote

Maybe. Or we might destroy everything before they can do shit. Kind of irrelevant, nukes are not going to fly over this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
1 hr ago.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:
Apparently these 18 HIMARS won't get to Ukraine for about a year or two. The AP article says they're contracts for purchases.
View Quote

Needs confirmation but if it is like some of those purchases to date, units from existing US stocks go to Ukraine, then new production units back-fill US forces (and we have enough to do that without issue).
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
24min ago.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/P7UWpTu.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Not only that, but ever notice in the videos of them driving out to their launch points that they are pretty straight pathways carefully manicured to not have shrubs and trees in their way?  Nah, we'd never see that on satellite and SAR imagery from billions of dollars of spacecraft and technology dedicated just for finding those.

What interests me is that EVERY guided Russian weapon they took apart in this war has used commercial chips and parts.

Just food for thought, but we celebrated over 400 SM-3 exoatmospheric interceptors made.  They mostly go on mobile Aegis ships, and Aegis ashore bases in Poland, and Romania, and the Japanese navy. These are advertised as ascent and midcourse phase.  Over 500 SM-6 terminal phase Interceptors.   Hundreds of THAAD rounds, 10,000 Patriot rounds.  CHAMP and HiJinks emp cruise missiles, etc.  It was done quietly, but we've been eroding the rules of MAD for awhile, and it is accelerating.
View Quote

This thread doesn’t need another hell yeah brother, but hell yeah brother
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Needs confirmation but if it is like some of those purchases to date, units from existing US stocks go to Ukraine, then new production units back-fill US forces (and we have enough to do that without issue).
View Quote

I was hoping that was the case. The UA get one now from existing stock and when a new one roles off the line, it replaces the one we gave them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]

I babysat nukes for a few years, I understand how it goes for us. We have a professional military. Drunken moron conscripts are not the same. Their equipment and maintenance suck.
View Quote

Supposedly we spend more on nuke maintenance than they spend on their entire military. And they have more nukes
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

It's funny but I'm pretty sure it's fake. Comments turned off, auto translate unavailable, and the channel has 5 subscribers.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By torstin:
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Not sure if this has been posted.... the russian TV news guy, ol putins friend got called up for the draft and is having a shit fit, even kicks off the other guy on the show cause he called him a pussy and coward, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvJSKzW1hM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvJSKzW1hM
Is this the new Downfall parody lol
Can someone that speaks Russian confirm that is a legit transcript with the captions. I can't imagine its real. Funny though and I like the Downfall parody idea.

It's funny but I'm pretty sure it's fake. Comments turned off, auto translate unavailable, and the channel has 5 subscribers.

I’m surprised NAFO hasn’t been doing this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I know (roughly - not a DoD insider) what we’ve done wrt interception.  It’s fantastic and it’s something we’ve done very, very right instead of being complacent since 1991.

But are you confident we could get all leakers from a first strike?  Theoretically speaking. Even if the answer were “yes,” I’m not advocating we do that and no one is - but just as a probability exercise.  My understanding was our combined interception capabilities weren’t there yet, but I’m not an expert.

This is a good conversation to have, not a frightening one.  Because it underscores our ability to prevent a Russian - or anyone’s - first-use.  With MAD not an operable part of force and strike calculations, Russia becomes relatively impotent. Reminding them of that is very likely what the State Dept. has been doing recently.  If we wanted to, we could prevent a Russian nuclear use by simply saying “we view putting Ukraine under our nuclear umbrella as a logical corollary to the 1994 Budapest Memorandum.”  It is quite possibly what has already been done quietly.

Heck, we could make “The Budapest Corollary” a part of history more important than the Monroe Doctrine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Maybe. Or we might destroy everything before they can do shit. Kind of irrelevant, nukes are not going to fly over this.
View Quote

You really can't say that. It's always possible.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#20]

I certainly agree, hoping some ATACMS are in that package.
View Quote

you reckon the lack of ATACMS in the aid package has more to do with not wanting the tech to potentially falling into russian hands (dud or shot down)
or the official reason?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:

you reckon the lack of ATACMS in the aid package has more to do with not wanting the tech to potentially falling into russian hands (dud or shot down)
or the official reason?
View Quote

They couldn't copy one anyway. Their electronics are mostly western components.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

They couldn't copy one anyway. Their electronics are mostly western components
View All Quotes

or the official reason?

They couldn't copy one anyway. Their electronics are mostly western components

They could sell one to the Chinese
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Heck, we could make “The Budapest Corollary” a part of history more important than the Monroe Doctrine.
View Quote

The US extending from Atlantic to Pacific is much more significant than Russia/Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:

View Quote

The Chinese that buy jet engines from the Russians because they can't metallurgy?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]

The Chinese that buy jet engines from the Russians because they can't metallurgy?
View Quote
The Chinese suck at jet engines, but they don't suck so bad at rockets and electronics
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

They were actually working with Ukraine a.fewnyeaes ago.  Not sure if the tech got transferred.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#28]
The Chinese suck at jet engines, but they don't suck so bad at rockets and electronics
View Quote

True.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:

This is what I am worried about. If the Russians are responsible for the Nord Pipeline bullshit, or not, the other Pipelines in use could be a tempting target.

Specially when you celebrate the opening of a new one that was built to bypass The Russians. right after the other one was blown up a day or so previously.

Standing by for shenanigans.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:

This is what I am worried about. If the Russians are responsible for the Nord Pipeline bullshit, or not, the other Pipelines in use could be a tempting target.

Specially when you celebrate the opening of a new one that was built to bypass The Russians. right after the other one was blown up a day or so previously.

Standing by for shenanigans.

That or the dumbass Russians accidentally sabotaged the wrong pipeline.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sq40:

That or the dumbass Russians accidentally sabotaged the wrong pipeline.
View Quote

I'd believe this way before I believe the US did it haha
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#31]

I know (roughly - not a DoD insider) what we’ve done wrt interception.  It’s fantastic and it’s something we’ve done very, very right instead of being complacent since 1991.

But are you confident we could get all leakers from a first strike?  Theoretically speaking. Even if the answer were “yes,” I’m not advocating we do that and no one is - but just as a probability exercise.  My understanding was our combined interception capabilities weren’t there yet, but I’m not an expert.

This is a good conversation to have, not a frightening one.  Because it underscores our ability to prevent a Russian - or anyone’s - first-use.  With MAD not an operable part of force and strike calculations, Russia becomes relatively impotent. Reminding them of that is very likely what the State Dept. has been doing recently.  If we wanted to, we could prevent a Russian nuclear use by simply saying “we view putting Ukraine under our nuclear umbrella as a logical corollary to the 1994 Budapest Memorandum.”  It is quite possibly what has already been done quietly.

View Quote

I wonder if Russia's recently announced 'doomsday torpedo' the nuclear powered unmanned underwater drone armed with a big nuke that if launched would wind its way across the ocean and detonate (maybe a month later) near some city...was in recognition that Russia's nuclear deterrence (sub or land launched missiles) have been diminished or even thwarted?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Niki has left Russia and is in Istanbul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQUXH-uLzdA
View Quote

Just in the Nick of time too.

I think he was planning it all along but didn’t want to raise any suspicions with the authorities so he made it seem as though he was actually gonna stay.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Just in the Nick of time too.

I think he was planning it all along but didn’t want to raise any suspicions with the authorities so he made it seem as though he was actually gonna stay.
View Quote

I figured and hoped he was going to do that.
Good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#34]
{CoC #7 removed - Z}
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#35]
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:

{CoC #7 removed - Z}
View Quote

Top Gear - James May attempts to ignite a SS-18 Satan nuclear missle with a lighter

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Niki has left Russia and is in Istanbul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQUXH-uLzdA
View Quote

He has more brains than I gave him credit for.  Good for him.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Ukraine’s counteroffensive explained

Ukraine's Counteroffensive Explained- from 9/14, very interesting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

At three significantly separated locations roughly simultaneously?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:
Originally Posted By Javak:

I suspect some of them may have fought in Afghanistan way back when.

And my very improbable but not entirely impossible theory on the pipe line is that an untethered naval mine from god-knows-when-and-where had been rolling on the sea bed until it made contact with the pipe, and suddenly lost its will to live.

At three significantly separated locations roughly simultaneously?

The chances of three separate WWI sea mines drifting for over 100 years, collecting adjacent to three separate pipelines, and in unison spontaneously detonating in high order are low but they're never zero.
Or something.
Maybe.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#40]

MAD is a thing. After the fall of the soviet union, russia still has as many nukes as before still the same fucked up leadership, and nobody was afraid of nukes until now. They aren't going to launch them, because even if we don't, pretty much everyone else will let fly, since it is their chance to fuck shit up.
I find it amusing that folks who didn't experience the cold war first hand are shitting their pants over nukes.
Rule number 1, there isn't anything you can do to stop a nuke exchange, so worrying about is is counter productive.
Rule number 2, Your best bet is to get vaporized right out of the gate. The aftermath will make "The Road" a happy book in comparison. No power, no supply chain, your preps will only last for so long, maybe longer than radiation sickness. People will be eating other people to survive.
Those with power and wealth do not want to see that evaporate, and they will do all they can to keep it from happening.
View Quote

Having lived through the cold war, I too share a sense of “cant do anything about it so why worry”.  I’m not afraid of a nuclear war as much as I am having to survive afterwards.  

I do feel like something is much different than before.  The Soviet Union had hope and power during the Cuban Missile Crisis. That let them act rationally, even with a defeat on the issue. They were still growing and expanding as an empire.  

In the 70s and 80s, it was still a powerful entity, with a powerful army.  It was starting to show cracks, and even had defeat in Afghanistan. But it was still rational.

The fall of the Soviet Union was scary.  We expertly negotiated the situation to keep the nukes secure through their crisis.  But again, it was a Revolution with positive energy for a better future.

Now we are seeing a failing dictatorship hanging on by a string.  Their military is a laughing stock. They have no conventional power and their influence is nearly gone. Putin is surrounded by yes men, is old, and his health us in question.  Never have the modern Russians had such a tenuous situation, backed largely into a self imposed corner, and are reliant on nuclear weapons to to be a deterrent or tactical option to keep in power.   This is a truly unique situation for them, and us.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#41]
A footage of an attack by Ukrainian troops on a Russian column | Military Mind | TVP World

Footage of an attack by Ukrainian troops on a Russian column | Military Mind | TVP World posted 45 minutes ago
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:50:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#42]

But are you confident we could get all leakers from a first strike?
 Theoretically speaking. Even if the answer were “yes,” I’m not advocating we do that and no one is - but just as a probability exercise.  My understanding was our combined interception capabilities weren’t there yet, but I’m not an expert.

View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:
Apparently these 18 HIMARS won't get to Ukraine for about a year or two. The AP article says they're contracts for purchases.
View Quote

Why? We have 500+ of them.

Let them get ones we have and we build the 18 newer for us.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

Maybe they want those tanks to be "in-house," and not thousands of miles away, once our next civil war invariably kicks off.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:
I just saw CarmelBytheSea's poll in gd about the US sending tanks to Ukraine. So far 60-40 say no, even if they pay for them.

I'm not going to read the thread. Just thought you'd get a chuckle out of gd doing gd things.

Maybe they want those tanks to be "in-house," and not thousands of miles away, once our next civil war invariably kicks off.
Petreus says the M1 is too heavy and maintenance intensive for use in Ukraine, and you need special equipment to extricate them from the field if they fail or become stuck.  You would have to set up a whole manned facility in Poland for them, even just a few.  Lighter tanks, like the Leopard and surplus T-60s, 70s and 80s from NATO stocks are more appropriate.  This was from a recent DW interview with him on YouTube.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DonS:

The US extending from Atlantic to Pacific is much more significant than Russia/Ukraine.
View Quote

The Monroe Doctrine didn't enable that; it was an engine in motion already.  But the Monroe Doctrine did delimit what Euro powers did in the Caribbean basin. It was weak at best because it only honestly acknowledged the realpolitik that England and the alliance had de-facto kicked France and Spain to the curb during the Napoleonic Wars and already effectively taken them off the board.  Since it aligned with UK policy, it got a free ride.  The Monroe Doctrine is one of those things IMO with a big name and little real world effect, hence why I picked it as a comparison. ;)

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Supposedly we spend more on nuke maintenance than they spend on their entire military. And they have more nukes
View All Quotes

I babysat nukes for a few years, I understand how it goes for us. We have a professional military. Drunken moron conscripts are not the same. Their equipment and maintenance suck.

I bet it’s also the easiest to get away with corruption and falsifying records.

The only way you get caught (as a commander/supervisor) of skimming off the top and neglecting the Strategic Nuke Forces in Russia is if they try to actually use them…..and getting caught wouldn’t really be that big of an issue when that rolls around.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Yes.

View Quote

Well that's a game-changer.  I thought that day was was coming but still in the future a decade at least.  Wow.  Yay for us (and you, and all the rest).
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#48]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdwrB_FWQA8gNWb?format=jpg&name=medium

Titan drone jammer.

https://bluehalo.com/product/titan/

https://bluehalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/TitanUx10BeautyShot-902x1024.jpg

View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdwrB_FWQA8gNWb?format=jpg&name=medium

Titan drone jammer.

https://bluehalo.com/product/titan/

https://bluehalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/TitanUx10BeautyShot-902x1024.jpg

Titan™ establishes a hemisphere of protection well beyond line of sight in less than 5 minutes without operator training or calibration burden. Titan™ has been extensively tested, deployed, and operationally validated by dozens of military, government, and third-party labs to ensure mission success.    

Titan™ C-UAS equips any operator with immediate situational awareness and force protection in under 5 minutes. By harnessing industry-leading artificial intelligence and machine learning, Titan’s optionally-manned operation and autonomous countermeasure escalation turn any soldier or first responder into an effective C-UAS defender.  

That might work OK as long as you can keep the jamming outside of the frequencies your own forces are using. With both sides using COTS drones, that will be problematic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:07:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bama_Rebel] [#49]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I wonder if Russia's recently announced 'doomsday torpedo' the nuclear powered unmanned underwater drone armed with a big nuke that if launched would wind its way across the ocean and detonate (maybe a month later) near some city...was in recognition that Russia's nuclear deterrence (sub or land launched missiles) have been diminished or even thwarted?
View All Quotes

Poseidon
Very possible
Also very possible that it doesn't work as advertised
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Poseidon
View All Quotes

Poseidon

Supposedly containing a large cobalt jacketed nuke intended to generate a tsunami to make our coasts uninhabitable for decades. While Russians are sick enough to develop such a thing I wonder if it’s really just a fantasy weapon to freak out the libtards and give the puffers a stiffie.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5589
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top