Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 6:10:32 PM EDT
I'm trying to optimize my internet setting and I've hit a road block. Basically right now I have a DSL modem from Qwest which is plugged into a Belkin Wireless router that my laptop and Ps3 connect to.

When I run a network speed test I'm getting the proper up/down megabits but my ping is about 80ms which sucks IMO.

My Router's WAN connection setting is set to Dynamic.

When I address into the modem, it says that my ISP Protocol is  PPPoE.

Would this make any difference in my ping?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
DSL is pppoe

a cheapie type router won't give the fastest performance.

you might see if there's a firmware update from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
ping to where?
any site or only certain ones?

tracert would also be a good idea
if the slowness occurs after the first external hop it's not your equipment causing it
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Here's a test.

I've been using one of those internet speed test sites to generally check everything. On campus I get 5ms ping just on their wireless network.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/jmanski/untitled.jpg
Here's a test.

I've been using one of those internet speed test sites to generally check everything. On campus I get 5ms ping just on their wireless network.

The $10,000 Cisco routers probably play a part.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
well darn, I guess I'm just going to go get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Its taking 50-100ms just to make it out of quests network. Not very good at all. You can have a fast network connection but still have lag. Sounds like this is the case.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My DSL sucks ass due to packet loss.  Sometimes latency times get pretty crappy as well.  Check your packet loss rate.  Run a continuous ping to www.yahoo.com (from dos prompt "ping -t www.yahoo.com".  If you're packet loss rate is above 3%, all of your TCP connections (browsing, file share) are gonna be slow.  

As more people have gone to DSL in my area, the system has become over-subscribed.  I can't watch a video on youtube without it lagging unless it is after 11PM.  It is really time for me to switch to cable modem.

ETA:

Quoted:
Its taking 50-100ms just to make it out of quests network. Not very good at all. You can have a fast network connection but still have lag. Sounds like this is the case.
-Foxxz

This is pretty crappy.  If you're latency times are better at certain times of the day, then your DSL system is probably over-subscribed.  A faster router isn't going to help that much in your case since you're getting thru your piece of the puzzle in <1ms.  Can't do much better than that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My DSL sucks ass due to packet loss.  Sometimes latency times get pretty crappy as well.  Check your packet loss rate.  Run a continuous ping to www.yahoo.com (from dos prompt "ping -t www.yahoo.com".  If you're packet loss rate is above 3%, all of your TCP connections (browsing, file share) are gonna be slow.  

As more people have gone to DSL in my area, the system has become over-subscribed.  I can't watch a video on youtube without it lagging unless it is after 11PM.  It is really time for me to switch to cable modem.

ETA:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

This is pretty crappy.  If you're latency times are better at certain times of the day, then your DSL system is probably over-subscribed.  A faster router isn't going to help that much in your case since you're getting thru your piece of the puzzle in <1ms.  Can't do much better than that.

But what's the timing out about right after my router? Is that my Modem?

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Quoted:
-Foxxz

But what's the timing out about right after my router? Is that my Modem?

Some routers don't respond to traceroutes hence your timeout.

-Foxxz
Top Top