Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2008 1:25:41 PM EDT

I have a set of your average everyday Lloyd's BBQ Babyback Ribs here, got it from the local supermarket..

I'm looking at the cooking directions; 375 for 45-50 minutes...

Wouldn't lower (and slower) serve me better here, given the large amount of connective tissue?

Wouldn't say 250-275 at say 70 minutes...might that not work out better?

Yeah, long time to cook ribs, but...with sauce and all in there, I would imagine the longer cook time at a lower temp, would to better at rendering out the collegen and all that?

Or are the standard directions of 375/50 minutes a better way to go?

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Aren't the Lloyd's already par-cooked?  If so, this would account for the short cook time/high temp.

Yep, just Googled it, and they *are* already slow cooked, you are merely bringing your ribs to temp, not "cooking" them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Aren't the Lloyd's already par-cooked?  If so, this would account for the short cook time/high temp.

Probably...yeah, looking at the ingredients - "Cooked pork loinback ribs"...

Well, what they consider cooked, anyway...crap, wish I had seen that beforehand. Ah well. Question still stands

ETA Ahh...ok..so I'm just heating them up. Well...crap.

Last time I made some of these, it was like eating a dog treat with bbq sauce. I was hoping lower and slower would improve things...but, if they've already cooked it..
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple of hours at 225 with indirect heat from pecan or hickory coals should do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
wrap them in foil and put them in the microwave

cook on high until the lightning stops

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah, they're already cooked

But I'm sure the Lloyds folks did 'em low and slow
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wrap them in foil and put them in the microwave

cook on high until the lightning stops

Damn,the secret is out now!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Next time don't waste the money on nasty ribs and buy some to cook yourself.  Its easy to do and tastes way better!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep, just Googled it, and they *are* already slow cooked, you are merely bringing your ribs to temp, not "cooking" them.

Why don't you give him the recipe for your "sauce"? I made your "sauce". What is it supposed to be used for?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you give him the recipe for your "sauce"? I made your "sauce". What is it supposed to be used for?

Marinade, baste, topping, anything at all.

Original Thread...
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
We buy ribs from Sam's club.  Cut the long racks into half.  Lay foil on a cookie sheet, lay ribs on cookie sheet, apply rub.  Cover with foil and close edges.  250 for 4 hours.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Im a yankee and even I know you dont put sauce on ribs.  You rub them.  Smoke them for half a day and serve sauce on the side for the wierdos.  I have tried loyds ribs though and they werent bad for a quick fix.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Im a yankee and even I know you dont put sauce on ribs.  You rub them.  Smoke them for half a day and serve sauce on the side for the wierdos.  I have tried loyds ribs though and they werent bad for a quick fix.

Thus the basis of their appeal

Things worked out well, just wish I coulda cooked 'em longer, gotten more of the fat and such to run. It would have been a far better dish that way.

Next time I get around to it...yeah, uncooked, with a good rub, and then go from there.
Top Top