Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2002 9:22:51 PM EDT
So all of you PC dudes, what is the best motherboard / CPU / memory combo out there that IS NOT the latest and greatest.

Looking for something along the lines of a 1.8, either Intel or AMD.

My current computer is just too old and slow (PIII 700 overclocked to 933, Abit BH6, 62+ MB RAM)

No MAC suggestions, MAC is gay, besides, Microsuck owns a good part of them anyways.

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine decided to build instead of buy, and I ended up paying about $150 more for a Dell with the same specs as his, and I only spent a few days fixing problems with it, not a few months. So, unless you just want to build, i'd buy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I just built two machines that run pretty quick... MOBOs:

soyo dragon plus  kt266a chipset amd1700 overclocked it touches the p4 2 gig using sandra benchmarks....

gigabyte ga7dx amd 1 gig does alright for an oldie....[:D]

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A friend of mine decided to build instead of buy, and I ended up paying about $150 more for a Dell with the same specs as his, and I only spent a few days fixing problems with it, not a few months. So, unless you just want to build, i'd buy.
View Quote

he just didnt have enough spare parts laying around [;)]....[dream]if I ever win the Texas lotto...I am gonna have the nicest benches in the world for guns and electronics....[/dream]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So all of you PC dudes, what is the best motherboard / CPU / memory combo out there that IS NOT the latest and greatest.

Looking for something along the lines of a 1.8, either Intel or AMD.

My current computer is just too old and slow (PIII 700 overclocked to 933, Abit BH6, 62+ MB RAM)

No MAC suggestions, MAC is gay, besides, Microsuck owns a good part of them anyways.

View Quote

Check out Tom's Hardware Guide for reviews of motherboards with benchmark data that go back awhile. They also have info on graphics cards.

[url]www.tomshardware.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Goats, what board model ASUS and speed AMD CPU do you suggest? And who on line has good price / customer service?

Glock31, I bought one complete system, my first one. After that I now build my PCc. Just like my AR15's.
I have yet to have any problems that take longer than a day to resolve. Months? Your friend should stick to buying complete systems.

Toms Hardware is a great website, however, I want real people experinces.

Quoted:
Look into an ASUS + AMD combo... good price, great performance, and should be problem free. (Just make sure the BIOS is up to date! ASUS has great tools for upgrading your BIOS and I would HOPE it would be up to date when you got it or one rev behind!)
]=P
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#7]
An ATI-386/B2 motherboard with a 386dx 20 with 8mb of 80ns 30-pin SIMMS, one 120MB seagate hard drive, and a trident 8900 video card.  
that should just about cover all of your computing needs.  

Hey, he said, not the latest and greatest.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out these cool comp cases.
[url]www.colorcases.com[/url]

This is what I'm gonna use.
[img]http://www.colorcases.com/images/Redwindowener.jpg[/img]
Top Top