Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2019 2:51:46 AM EDT
Has a new series coming out starting at the end of this month!  "The Counterfeit Sorcerer".

Announcement is at the top of his website, https://badnovelist.com.  It's supposed to be five novels, all published within the next six months or so -- one new book every six weeks according to his planned schedule.

For those unfamiliar, he has a couple of standalone novels as well as five (soon six) series:

* Erasmus Keane / Blake Fowler - 2 sci-fi detective novels, "The Big Sheep" and "The Last Iota"
* Saga of the Iron Dragon - trilogy about finessing the time traveler's paradox
* Mercury _____ - fantasy involving an angel sent to keep an eye on mankind
* Starship Grifters - a conman and his faithful robot companion try not to get killed
* Land of Dis - fantasy trilogy
* The Counterfeit Sorcerer - dunno yet!!!
* individual books "City of Sand" and "Schrodinger's Gat", as well as a blog-post collection.

The Iron Dragon trilogy is apparently officially ended now.  The Keane books (main characters rather blatantly copied from the movie "The Zero Effect") are likely over, since the second ended with the main character written into a corner.  Both series are pretty good entertainment.  Starship Grifters is fun for a light read.  I couldn't get into the Mercury series at all (gave up halfway through the first book), and haven't tried the Dis trilogy yet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
What is his writing style most like?
Does he remind you of anyone else's style?

I have a list of new series to start, but one more wont hurt. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished the first book in his "Dis" trilogy, and it reminded me strongly of Terry Pratchett.  The part where the main characters first meet Verne has perfect comedic timing and is MUCH funnier than anything Pratchett ever wrote.  Tobalt is genuinely eloquent.

His "Iron Dragon" trilogy was conventional alternate-history SF, and I think I'd compare it to KSR's "Red/Blue/Green Mars" trilogy.  Multiple main characters, spread into multiple closely-tied plot lines, with a somewhat grim feeling to it all (as befit the situation).

I think what I like the most about his work is that it's well written.  A lot of the modern crop of writers are self-published and they read like they're self-published -- no editor ever gave them a second opinion on what to clean up.  I'm pretty sure Kroese does it all by his lonesome, too, at least with some of his books, but he doesn't need that editing -- his structure, timing, plotting, and all the rest just work.

Twenty years from now he's going to be considered a national treasure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the release of the first book in his new series has been moved back to September 14.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WKCD1VS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top