Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2022 11:16:15 AM EDT
I went to visit my uncle last Wednesday night and we were talking about the trip and the route I was taken by Apple Maps.  It re-routed me from the main interstate due to construction and a wreck.  He was asking for specifics of the route I took and I had no clue.  I just followed Siri's directions in blind faith I would get where I needed to go.  It worked, but he was so puzzled that I didn't know where I had been and could only provide three major landmarks he could reference.

He then pulled out this map book and we walked the path.  I could totally read the map and was able to walk through it with him.  Then he asked if my kids had a clue how to read a map.

I realized how I've failed in that area so far.  So do you teach your kids to read a map?  I have no idea if they teach it is public schools since my kids have never attended.  I don't recall if I was taught in PS, but that was a while ago.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:23:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: die-tryin] [#1]
Growing up in WV, I learned how to read Topo maps. Had one of my AO on my wall.

Also knew how to read reg maps, being a member of AAA, my parents would get "trip tiks" for trips we would take and I'd help navigate.

I keep road atlas and area maps in my truck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Both of my kids were map and compass trained around 11 years old.

Since we lived in remote areas, it was a required skill.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
This is GD! My child's butler knows how to read a physical map! Go be poor somewhere else!

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ringsting:
This is GD! My child's butler knows how to read a physical map! Go be poor somewhere else!

View Quote

That is good, as long as your kid stays with him he'll be fine. :p

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I just didn't realize until talking to my uncle how I have totally missed this training for my kids.  They will be completely lost without a device. :(

Needless to say, they aren't in the scouts or any other organization like that either.  I was, but my dad taught me how to read a map.  I'm gonna fix this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
When my kid is older, he is 100% learning how to use a map, compass, and protractor.  I have done a lot of orienteering and can't wait to teach him

In my experience, when you understand the basics of those items, you actually become better at using a GPS.

Depending on where you are navigating, knowing how to use a GPS alone is usually just enough to get yourself in trouble.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:05:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#7]
Hell yea I do.

Well, sort of. They're 9 and 7.

But I will!  They already have a compass each.  Already done scavenger hunt type things with maps, and they draw their own.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there any good/recommended material to start orienteering training for them?  We have been in the city so long it just never occurred to me that I should be teaching them this stuff.  I mean, I've taught them how to use and read a compass and know your general location without a device helping.  It is hard to get lost with street signs every 100yds though.

Now, I leave near very little.  While I can teach them what I learned in Scouts, I would rather find something more specific to follow.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By turtle2472:
Is there any good/recommended material to start orienteering training for them?  We have been in the city so long it just never occurred to me that I should be teaching them this stuff.  I mean, I've taught them how to use and read a compass and know your general location without a device helping.  It is hard to get lost with street signs every 100yds though.

Now, I leave near very little.  While I can teach them what I learned in Scouts, I would rather find something more specific to follow.
View Quote

Maybe find the scout manual on map reading etc. It is a good start and then you can tweak to your AO.

If they really into it and willing to learn, set up a mini course with prize at the end. Maybe get into geocaching ,,if ppl are still doing this
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By turtle2472:

View Quote

The book Be Expert With Map & Compass by Bjorn Kjellstrom would be a good place to start. It, and many other orienteering and land navigation books, are available from Amazon. Many used copies are available if your on a budget.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Scouting has been beneficial in this area.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I can map and compass like a sumbitch. My 3.5 year old's already got an introduction. The twins will get theirs in due course. I've had to teach my wife, and, if i can teach her, I can teach anyone.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Definitely plan to. I sometimes wonder if kids growing up in the age of smartphones, GPS, and automatic routing will be able to work with a paper map. I've already seen adults that are dead in the water without a little GPS-based "you are here" dot on a map, and I'm talking even a road map.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#14]
All my kids joined the Civil Air Patrol (CAP).  Part of their ongoing training is in an area called Emergency Services. This includes search and rescue training, where map reading (both highway and topographic land navigation) is a basic and necessary part. It’s been about eight years since they were involved so I do not know how the current environment is, but CAP provided a varied social atmosphere and opportunities that led into interests that opened up professional careers for them. It helped in busting the myth that homeschool kids are isolated and socially immature.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]
My kids knew how to read a map before they could read a book.

They learned from the inside cover of "Winnie the Pooh" and the maps of the Island of Sodor in Thomas the Tank Engine series.

At some point we read a lot of a kids' "History of the World" that had maps.

I taught them that a book with a map was usually pretty good. (That's what I had learned myself!) They still laugh at that and agree with it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes!  I love orienteering!

Also my kids are in a Natural Leaders program where they do that stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top