Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2020 2:52:12 PM EDT
So im about to order a CNC max mill from CNC Masters. Just wanted to know if anyone has used one and what they thought about it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Wish I had a building to put the mill in. I want to get one someday.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like you have no machining experience?

If not, you should buy a non CNC mil so you can learn to machine mill properly.

I remember 40 years ago being told that to program a CNC properly, you first needed to know how to mill manually. You can't just tell the machine to cut from A to B at C depth. You need to program cutter speed and travel speed which are dependent on the material, the cutter type, number of edges, and diameter of the cutter.

It is possible to learn both at once, but it is much more difficult and you are likely to blow up bits and parts than if you just do it manually. Even manually, you are going to blow up bits (everyone does), but it will be far less often and you usually won't blow up the part.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
That looks like a nice setup, but the doller$ almost flow out of my wallet just thinking about all the cool options that can be tacked onto it.  The 4th/w-axis option is slick; didn't think it was accessible to home brewers.

If I could come up with enough projects to justify 1 of these, I'd invest.  I enjoy making stuff with Autodesk, but I'm not familiar with the suite(s) CNC Masters uses.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
No i dont have any experience with mills just lathes. It dose do manual as well though. And that is what the old lady wants so thats what we are getting.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#5]
We also have a cnc laser cuter so i do know the software some.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds like you have no machining experience?

If not, you should buy a non CNC mil so you can learn to machine mill properly.

I remember 40 years ago being told that to program a CNC properly, you first needed to know how to mill manually. You can't just tell the machine to cut from A to B at C depth. You need to program cutter speed and travel speed which are dependent on the material, the cutter type, number of edges, and diameter of the cutter.

It is possible to learn both at once, but it is much more difficult and you are likely to blow up bits and parts than if you just do it manually. Even manually, you are going to blow up bits (everyone does), but it will be far less often and you usually won't blow up the part.
View Quote

I don't think this advice is really all that valid anymore.

Modern CNC mills, CAM software and tooling are so different from what is used in manual machining that the knowledge base of what works in one doesn't carry over to the other very well.

Just an example; calculating feeds and speeds for a CNC mill is something you'll want to do with software intended for the purpose, that considers things like tool deflection, HSM loads, chip thinning and other factors that are generally not considered for manual work, if you even bother calculating a feed rate. Your manual machining experience isn't really a good guide because a person just can't duplicate the tool paths and loads that modern CNC tools and programming will produce.

A manual machine is great to have, but if I would have zero qualms telling a brand new machinist to skip ahead to a CNC tool. I'd probably recommend a CNC router for a first tool, but if the mill is the tool you need then that's what you need.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#7]
What would be better fusion 360 or solidwroks?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would be better fusion 360 or solidwroks?
View Quote

For a home hobbyist? Fusion 360. It's essentially free, at least for now, and includes a fully featured CAM suite. I personally hate modeling in it, but it's hard to argue with the value you get.

If you needed to work with other engineering outfits, support multiple users or FEA, solidworks is the far more mature and supported platform.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]
OP have you looked at Tormach? I don't have any but they spec out awesome for a little CNC
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Already  bought this one it will be here on the 15th. We are not exactly hobbyist. We own a leather shop and also sell supplies. this will be for making leather tooling. And I plan on getting into maybe some prototyping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top