Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 6/3/2019 9:33:41 PM EDT
Let's start with a bit of "choose your own adventure".

I started the two with handles on them almost 10 years ago. The two with handles are 1095 that hasn't been heat treated yet. The blued one is cut out of a tramontina cane knife.

These are all kind of rip-offs. The one with wood handles is a tracing of the blade on my cold steel "pocket Bushman". The one with micarta handles is a tracing of a really bad custom knife that I bought before I knew anything about knives.  The blued one was kind of my take on the tops "frog market special"

Which one should I finish first?  I'm making myself finish these up before I start making new ones. I have a bar of precision ground 1/8"x 1 1/2" O1 waiting for me. Lol

After these three are finished I'll just start posting up whatever I'm making in this thread.

Thanks

ETA: I suppose a pic helps. Lol
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Here's one that I don't need to worry about anymore. At least it got hard. Lol.

I'm pretty sure that happened because I ground it too thin.  This was also from a strip that was cut off of a sheet with a big shear and it curled up when it was cut. I bent it flat before grinding any blades from it, but all three blades I've heat treated from this piece have had a curve in them out of the quench. Even the one that was only profiled before HT.

I'm thinking about skipping the last nearly finished blade that I have from that steel and starting on some precision ground O1 instead, since I'm 99.9% sure the last blade will warp too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A small update.

I figured I'd try to temper and bend this one straight. It didn't work. I guess an hour at 385 wasn't enough. I snapped it in my hands. Lol

At least I can stop worrying about it and move on.

Attachment Attached File

I started this one after the other one warped so badly. It's the knife from the second build along that was on the "simple little life" YouTube channel. I made it from precision ground O1.  Because of my luck, it warped in HT as well. On the suggestion of @kuraki I tempered it and bent it straight (ish) and it's back in the oven for a second temper. I'm planning to just grind it flat when it's cool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I should have explained further. After the first temper, counter bend against the warp on a piece of angle iron or something with wire or clamps and temper it again while clamped.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I should have explained further. After the first temper, counter bend against the warp on a piece of angle iron or something with wire or clamps and temper it again while clamped.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/SmartSelect_20190615-183853_Samsung_Notes_jpg-980796.JPG
View Quote
I love the illustration!  @wicounsel is going to be upset that you didn't share the pic with him. Lol

On my O1 blade, after the first temper I let it air cool, then bent it in a vice with three bolts spaced to bend where it needed it until it was straight then stuck it in the oven for another hour.

The 1095 blade snapped after the first temper. It had been hardened several days before the temper, but I don't know if that matters much.

I'll try clamping the blade in a fixture next time.

Now that I have a straight, hardened and tempered blade I just need to work up the stones to start grinding on it. Lol

One take away from the recent failures is that I'm not going to start on handles at all until after the HT and grinding. I wasted a set of maple slabs on the broken blade and potentially a set of micarta scales on another blade out of that batch.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You should temper things like 1095 immediately, the first temper at least. The low hardenability, fast quenching steels like that can often self destruct without a temper.

Wouldn't surprise me if that blade cracked before the temper.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/SmartSelect_20190615-183853_Samsung_Notes_jpg-980796.JPG
View Quote
You need to write a how to book...  I would definitely buy the illustrated version.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I love the illustration!  @wicounsel is going to be upset that you didn't share the pic with him. Lol

On my O1 blade, after the first temper I let it air cool, then bent it in a vice with three bolts spaced to bend where it needed it until it was straight then stuck it in the oven for another hour.

The 1095 blade snapped after the first temper. It had been hardened several days before the temper, but I don't know if that matters much.

I'll try clamping the blade in a fixture next time.

Now that I have a straight, hardened and tempered blade I just need to work up the stones to start grinding on it. Lol

One take away from the recent failures is that I'm not going to start on handles at all until after the HT and grinding. I wasted a set of maple slabs on the broken blade and potentially a set of micarta scales on another blade out of that batch.
View Quote
I told you his drawrings are the bomb.

And they aren’t “failures.”  They are all learning experiences. Kuraki has a whole bin of them he told me at one point.

Cool you are keeping at it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You should temper things like 1095 immediately, the first temper at least. The low hardenability, fast quenching steels like that can often self destruct without a temper.

Wouldn't surprise me if that blade cracked before the temper.
View Quote
I'll make sure to do that in the future. Thanks again for all your help.

Quoted:

You need to write a how to book...  I would definitely buy the illustrated version.  
View Quote
I agree!  "Kuraki's illustrated guide to knife making" would be awesome!

Quoted:

I told you his drawrings are the bomb.

And they aren’t “failures.”  They are all learning experiences. Kuraki has a whole bin of them he told me at one point.

Cool you are keeping at it.
View Quote
You weren't kidding. Lol. You can't ask for much more than simple pictures that get the point across clearly.
Thank you for the encouragement.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's where I'm at now.

I am having a hard time knowing when to switch to a higher grit so I don't overshoot where I want to end up.  Also, the edges of a fresh 36 grit belt are to be respected. They are a lot like a saw. Lol

Attachment Attached File

I also had a difficult time keeping the grind even from the plunge to the tip. I ended up grinding it too thin at the plunge. I think it's because I started the grind there with the edge of the belt.  Maybe I should start a bit out from the plunge, then work my way back into it after the primary grind is established.

I'm hoping that I just need some time to get used to the grinder and maybe some different techniques for laying out the grind lines will help, like scribing two lines for the edge instead of just a center line.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
So when you are grinding the face of the blade, are you free handing or setting up a jig?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a jig for the primary grind. I'll probably start trying to go free hand at some point, but I want to get the basics figured out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#12]
One thing I do when I'm grinding is watch the sparks coming off the belt.  I want to see sparks across the whole width of the belt.  If you have sparks on just part of the belt, your grind won't be flat.

Watching for this will also let you know when a belt is worn on the edges or middle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll have to figure out a way to see the Sparks. I built a pretty giant work rest so I can use my jigs. It's like 6"x20". Lol

That's a good idea though. The Sparks can't lie.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

I reused the handles from the 1095 blade that broke on this one. The two black circles are the micarta pins that I made for them. I used epoxy and copper pins. The slabs are maple that I stained "light cherry" and finished with Tung oil.

I'm going to make another one of this pattern but I'm going to try to get some 1" stock  first so I'm not wasting 1/2" of steel on each one.  I wanted to buy some 1075 or 1084 from the New Jersey steel Barron but shipping is pretty crazy on small quantities. If anyone has a good source for these steels with decent shipping, I'd appreciate it.

On this one I still need to get it sharpened and figure out a sheath for it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Not bad at all.

Talk to Kuraki.  Also, at one time I think he was selling some chunks of metal. Time for you to step up to Elmax!
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Alpha Knife Supply sells smaller pieces and uses flat rate shipping.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not bad at all.

Talk to Kuraki.  Also, at one time I think he was selling some chunks of metal. Time for you to step up to Elmax!
View Quote
Thanks.  It's definitely usable and I learned some things. I'm pretty sure the next one will be a bit better.

I'm stuck heat treating with a forge, so I need to stick with steels that are simple to heat treat.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Alpha Knife Supply sells smaller pieces and uses flat rate shipping.
View Quote
I'll give them a look. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks.  It's definitely usable and I learned some things. I'm pretty sure the next one will be a bit better.

I'm stuck heat treating with a forge, so I need to stick with steels that are simple to heat treat.
View Quote
I am pretty sure he just uses a kitchen oven. Or you can send it in to Bos.

I like that you put a sharpening choil on there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am pretty sure he just uses a kitchen oven. Or you can send it in to Bos.

I like that you put a sharpening choil on there.
View Quote
You can temper in a kitchen oven, but you have to get the metal over critical temp to harden it first. (1450°-1500°). Some steels have to be soaked at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time, which is all but impossible in a forge.  Makers that do it for real have special kilns to do it.

I like to have a choil because it bugs me when there's a spot on the edge that you can't sharpen. Lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#21]
me too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Were you in the Marines?

Absolutly gets your instructions across though!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG1086_JPG-988241.JPG

I reused the handles from the 1095 blade that broke on this one. The two black circles are the micarta pins that I made for them. I used epoxy and copper pins. The slabs are maple that I stained "light cherry" and finished with Tung oil.

I'm going to make another one of this pattern but I'm going to try to get some 1" stock  first so I'm not wasting 1/2" of steel on each one.  I wanted to buy some 1075 or 1084 from the New Jersey steel Barron but shipping is pretty crazy on small quantities. If anyone has a good source for these steels with decent shipping, I'd appreciate it.

On this one I still need to get it sharpened and figure out a sheath for it.
View Quote
Good looking knife!
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#24]
cool
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:24:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good looking knife!
View Quote
Quoted:
cool
View Quote
Thanks!  I haven't been completely lazy, but I've been busy working on a chicken coop.

I have snuck out here and there and got some work done on a sheath that I hope to have finished this weekend.

I'm excited to get grinding on my next one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I got distracted. Lol

I have a sheath for the last knife mostly finished, I just need to sew, wet form  and finish it. I'm trying something weird on it. I'll share once I know if it works or not. (I'll share either way)

Here is a picture of the distraction and the sheath.

The knife was a planer blade.  According to the website, it's D2 at 56-58 Rockwell C.  I think I'm going to give it back to the guy who gave it to me.  He's a knife nerd, he gave me the steel, and the design was his idea.  I think I'm going to do a strider style cord wrap on the handle. It was wrapped in duct tape to make a handle when he gave it to me. I think it'd be kinda cool to find a way to make a "nice" duct tape handle, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#27]
You could do a Japanese sword style wrap with duct tape as the underlay instead of shark skin.

Grinds look pretty even.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Where do you sell these?
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where do you sell these?
View Quote
Thank you, but I don't sell any of my knives yet as I don't feel that my work is at a point where I'd feel good about putting my name on it and sending it out to the world.

At some point in the future I hope to sell enough to at least pay for the hobby. Lol
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Not really metal work related, but I'm working on it so I'll talk about it in here. Lol

More distraction from the knife work, but this stuff actually has some economic benefits. Lol

This is called a cribbing collar. I guess horses get bored and bite on something like their stall door or a fence post and suck in too much air(or something like that, I'm not a horse guy, or a tack guy. Lol) these collars are supposed to discourage them from doing that.  This one has a broken strap and a rivet that came apart. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Got the new strap punched and the dye is drying. I'm going to mess with a duct tape idea for the handle on this thing while I wait. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Strap still isn't all the way dry, but dry enough.  Got it sewn and riveted on. I'll put some bees wax on it later, but it's pretty much done. Attachment Attached File

Note that the last knife is in the pic and has been putting in work.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm done with this one. My weird idea was the pocket clip.  It's sewn in with the welt.  I don't like how this one turned out, but I like the concept. It is positioned well in the pocket but the clip doesn't hold it well enough to be able to draw the knife without the sheath coming out. I think I'll try seeing a piece of threaded hardware in with the welt and screwing on the clip next time I feel like trying this because I think part of the problem was that I had to bend the clip after it was sewn in.

I'm also not happy with the shape of the sheath.  The way it is taller than the handle area in front of the handle bugs me and I'll have to figure out how to lay it out so it doesn't do that next time.  I also sewed it when I had sampled too many hefeweizens, so a couple of stitches are messed up. That was just shitty craftsmanship on my part.  I Know better, and I should tear the stitching out and redo it, but there are enough things that I'm not happy with on this package that I feel like spending more time fixing it will be wasted vs starting on something else and moving forward.

Attachment Attached File

I'm finishing up the stabby side project now.  I'll share pics when I get it finished. It's going to be kinda trashy, but I'm hopeful that it fits with the "repurposed garbage shank thing" theme that I'm going for.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm putting a fork in this one too.  I'll probably make a cardboard and duct tape sheath for it as well though. The handle is leather, then ray skin, then a duct tape"cord" wrap. It's not pretty or perfect, but it isn't really supposed to be. The planer blade was handed to me with duct tape wrapped around one end and the statement "maybe someone can make something from it", so I wanted to stay true to it's roots.  I'm hoping that the guy who gave it to me likes it. It was fun to make and I feel like it was good practice grinding.

I feel a little bad for making this trashy. Lol. I have no use in the world for a blade like this, but I kinda want one.

I'm sure it'll hold up to sitting in a tool box and cutting/stabbing some boxes every once in a while just fine. Lol

If I could get a line on these planer blades for cheap I'd definitely try to make a couple more of these. (nicer ones, with a proper handle. Lol)Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I feel a little bad for making this trashy.
View Quote
Then don’t.

It looks pretty decent otherwise, don’t dress it down. Keep the duct tape as a minor design element, not the main grip.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Happy Friday!  Here's hoping to finding time to work on at least one of these for a little bit.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I want to see one of you guys make a knife like the little Helle Nying Norwegian work knife.  Its small size and handle which allows the same grip feel same regardless of the rotation angle (even with gloves on) makes it a surprisingly useful little knife.  To their credit, Helle makes the blade with a three piece sandwich of metals that allows me to get it near straight razor sharp but still tough enough to do some actual work with.  I really like mine.

Link Posted: 8/22/2019 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I stole a few minutes in the shop last night after the kids went to bed.

I think I'm onto something for primary grinds, but it's still a little early to tell. Instead of starting with 36 grit then 80 then 120 on the bevels, I pretty much just knocked the sharp corners off at a 45° with the 36 then went straight to a 120 to do the bevels. It seems much more controllable. Getting the plunge lines to have the same curve at the top is tricky for me, but I think using finer belts will help me be able to work them into shape more consistently.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I talked about fixing one of these in here so I'll post one I made from scratch.

This is for a horse that needed a cribbing collar that's smaller than a commercial small one.

This thing ended up being more difficult than I thought it would be when I agreed to build one. It took two trips to visit the horse to get sizes and angles figured out. I'm glad it's done.

Most of the tack work I do is repairs.  I think this is the only thing I've built from scratch.

Hopefully I'll get back on knife work soon, but the salmon are running in the river, so I'm not sure how much shop time I'll make. Lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Where do you get your leather?

It's good you have a source for thick stock to use on sheaths as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#41]
The leather I have at the moment is from Tandy. I've heard that there's another company up in Seattle that I've been meaning to go check out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought this thing hoping that it'd be as slicey as the old hickory and forgecraft butcher knives I inherited from my great grandma. It wasn't.  The primary grind was pretty low, leaving it feeling a bit like trying to slice food with an axe.

I bumped the primary grind back a bit and I'll give it a try and see how it works. I'm thinking that I'll probably end up grinding on it some more.

Most of the work was done at 120 grit then I worked up to 400 to smooth it out.

Before
Attachment Attached File

After
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I actually did some metal work!

The wife came home last week and said that she had to stop and pick up the tailpipe after it fell off of her vehicle. I went out and checked it out and the rear of the muffler was rusted through as well. I checked with a local exhaust place and they wanted $400 to replace the muffler and tailpipe. Screw that. Lol

Amazon had the flowmaster muffler I needed as well as a mandrel bent universal tailpipe kit and a few band clamps for under $300. With those and a chunk of 5/16" rod to build hangers out of I set to work.

The muffler was the same model that was in there, so replacing that was pretty straight forward. The tailpipe kit was a few bends with plenty of extra material to be trimmed to fit.  So after getting everything all cut and fitted I pulled the whole tailpipe out from the muffler back and welded it up then hit it with some high temp paint to (hopefully) keep the rust at bay for a while.

Attachment Attached File

And installed
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#44]
So any idea what the hanger material is?
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So any idea what the hanger material is?
View Quote
It's 5/16" 52100 rod.

I ended up only needing about a foot and a half of it and I bought 6 feet, so I have quite a bit to play with.

I'll probably try making a couple of picks from it if I can get the heat treat figured out. They'll need to be somewhere between springy and hard enough to almost stay sharp. I've been needing a big pick at work for pulling out stubborn cotter pins and in sticking radiator hoses.

I'll probably try forging a couple of small blades too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#46]
My middle kiddo and I ended up unsupervised for most of the day. I asked her what we should do. She thought for a minute and said "SMELTING!"(we're not actually smelting today, she just learned the word when I melted down a bunch of cans and junk and cast the stuff we're melting and casting today)

I asked what she wanted to make and she wanted an aluminum heart, so that's what we did.

I traced a heart out on a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut it out on the bandsaw.
Here she is packing sand around the plywood heart
Attachment Attached File

Here's the top of the part she was just working on, then both halves ready to be cast
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Here it is after the pour
Attachment Attached File

It looks like it filled out pretty well.
Attachment Attached File

We're going to clean stuff up and go get some ice cream while we wait for the part to cool down. When we get back we'll get started cleaning the part up on the grinder.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#47]
nise
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My middle kiddo and I ended up unsupervised for most of the day. I asked her what we should do. She thought for a minute and said "SMELTING!"(we're not actually smelting today, she just learned the word when I melted down a bunch of cans and junk and cast the stuff we're melting and casting today)

I asked what she wanted to make and she wanted an aluminum heart, so that's what we did.

I traced a heart out on a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut it out on the bandsaw.
Here she is packing sand around the plywood heart
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG0080_JPG-1121711.JPG
Here's the top of the part she was just working on, then both halves ready to be cast
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG0081_JPG-1121712.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG0083_JPG-1121713.JPG

Here it is after the pour
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG0085_JPG-1121714.JPG

It looks like it filled out pretty well.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG0086_JPG-1121715.JPG

We're going to clean stuff up and go get some ice cream while we wait for the part to cool down. When we get back we'll get started cleaning the part up on the grinder.
View Quote
It looks like the heart you cut out of wood was cut at a 90 degree angle. It you give it just a little bit of a taper it will lift out of the sand a lot easier and the edges of the sand won't get disturbed. Just a suggestion. Cool project to do with your kiddo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's 5/16" 52100 rod.

I ended up only needing about a foot and a half of it and I bought 6 feet, so I have quite a bit to play with.

I'll probably try making a couple of picks from it if I can get the heat treat figured out. They'll need to be somewhere between springy and hard enough to almost stay sharp. I've been needing a big pick at work for pulling out stubborn cotter pins and in sticking radiator hoses.

I'll probably try forging a couple of small blades too.
View Quote
I thought you said it was "normal" steel, to the exclusion of tool steels.

Isn't 52100 tool steel?
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It looks like the heart you cut out of wood was cut at a 90 degree angle. It you give it just a little bit of a taper it will lift out of the sand a lot easier and the edges of the sand won't get disturbed. Just a suggestion. Cool project to do with your kiddo.
View Quote
Thanks. I thought about that after I pulled the wood part out. This was only the second thing I've cast, aside from the ingots I cast when I smelted the cans/scrap.

There's definitely a learning curve with it but it's fun. I've been thinking about getting a 3d printer mostly for doing lost pla casting. Lol

Quoted:
I thought you said it was "normal" steel, to the exclusion of tool steels.

Isn't 52100 tool steel?
View Quote
I grabbed the piece from the area where the guy said was mild steel. This one was stuck in the wrong spot. It was cheap enough that I just went with it. Lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top