Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2022 9:38:08 AM EDT
I've watched all the YouTube videos on both, I know the Hammer Rey is newer and from some reviews, the Super Rock Rey breaks its Turnbuckles easily and the Super Baja Rey is interesting. The length is 20" vs 26", $580, $900 and $970 respectively, it's just bashing around and jumping with my kids, my 3 year old son is pretty damn good with my old HPI Vorza 6S

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-10-hammer-rey-u4-4wd-rock-racer-brushless-rtr-with-smart-and-avc-red/LOS03030T1.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-6-super-rock-rey-v2-4wd-rock-racer-brushless-rtr-gray/LOS05016V2T2.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-6-super-baja-rey-2.0-4wd-desert-truck-brushless-rtr/LOS05021.html

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Strictly between those 2 bigger is always better

For bashing, durability, and parts availability  I'd say the new Maxx V2.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The hammer rey looks badass.

I'm a bigger is better fan. I have a Mojave 6s as my biggest truck.

Between those 2 I'd probably go hammer rey because I like it's looks better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Being an owner of the SRR V2, I would say ,there are much better bashers out there.  Like you stated about the turnbuckles...I get about 15-20 jumps like this and higher/farther(depending on how I land) before I blow out the stock turnbuckles where tie rod attaches.  I have landed at the far right end of picture where bush ends, but this is my warm-up routine to find lines after dirt bikes have had their way with the jumps all week.  My new RPM Turnbuckles held up for a whole day last Saturday morning and afternoon, however.  Still not cracked or broken and I took a couple big spills.  Just over 27 lbs with two 3s batts is a lot of weight to toss around in the air and hope that little piece of plastic holds up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Breaks right here:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now, I will be getting the Hammer Rey soon myself just because.  I know I am probably not a lot of help but I already had a SRR I picked up for stupid cheap(~$320) with a DX5c transmitter that I gave to my cousin since he didn't have one and that would be my third one.  Only have had to drop a few bucks into it so far in repair parts - spindles/bumper/front light bar/bearings.  Maybe up $100-$120 now that I go back and add up all of it and still need a shock rebuild kit for another $30.  Oh, also picked up 2 sets of Losi upper control arms after folding one of mine at the turnbuckle. My car came with a Losi alum servo mount(recommended) and I also upgraded to Hot Racing servo link and bellcrank:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

In your case, not knowing what your common-use terrain is looking like, I figured the HR would be better to get and then upgrade it over the SRR if going retail route and be maybe a bit more capable or reliable.  I know after a few air-outs in my 1/10 Baja Rey, the rear shock shafts just stripped out of lower mounts, too.  So, I am thinking the new HR may need shocks right away for what I do.  I feel like a toe-out kit would be in order, too.  Gets soft out here.  My SRR was set up slightly toe in and would flip easily a lot of the time, I adjusted those to toe-out and it takes quite a bit more speed and force to flip now than before.  Certain settings seem to be a big deal when changing up on different traction on the fat car.  Plus this new HR is so darn big, it may act a lot like the SRR than I am giving it credit for.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being an owner of the SRR V2, I would say ,there are much better bashers out there.  Like you stated about the turnbuckles...I get about 15-20 jumps like this and higher/farther(depending on how I land) before I blow out the stock turnbuckles where tie rod attaches.  I have landed at the far right end of picture where bush ends, but this is my warm-up routine to find lines after dirt bikes have had their way with the jumps all week.  My new RPM Turnbuckles held up for a whole day last Saturday morning and afternoon, however.  Still not cracked or broken and I took a couple big spills.  Just over 27 lbs with two 3s batts is a lot of weight to toss around in the air and hope that little piece of plastic holds up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/Screenshot_20220423-110812_Video_Player_-2388130.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/Screenshot_20220423-110821_Video_Player_-2388131.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/Screenshot_20220423-110835_Video_Player_-2388132.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/Screenshot_20220423-110842_Video_Player_-2388133.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/Screenshot_20220423-110849_Video_Player_-2388134.JPG

Breaks right here:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/20220424_192432_jpg-2388172.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/20220424_192424_jpg-2388173.JPG

Now, I will be getting the Hammer Rey soon myself just because.  I know I am probably not a lot of help but I already had a SRR I picked up for stupid cheap(~$320) with a DX5c transmitter that I gave to my cousin since he didn't have one and that would be my third one.  Only have had to drop a few bucks into it so far in repair parts - spindles/bumper/front light bar/bearings.  Maybe up $100-$120 now that I go back and add up all of it and still need a shock rebuild kit for another $30.  Oh, also picked up 2 sets of Losi upper control arms after folding one of mine at the turnbuckle. My car came with a Losi alum servo mount(recommended) and I also upgraded to Hot Racing servo link and bellcrank:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/20220430_133949_jpg-2388177.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228253/20220420_132425_jpg-2388180.JPG

In your case, not knowing what your common-use terrain is looking like, I figured the HR would be better to get and then upgrade it over the SRR if going retail route and be maybe a bit more capable or reliable.  I know after a few air-outs in my 1/10 Baja Rey, the rear shock shafts just stripped out of lower mounts, too.  So, I am thinking the new HR may need shocks right away for what I do.  I feel like a toe-out kit would be in order, too.  Gets soft out here.  My SRR was set up slightly toe in and would flip easily a lot of the time, I adjusted those to toe-out and it takes quite a bit more speed and force to flip now than before.  Certain settings seem to be a big deal when changing up on different traction on the fat car.  Plus this new HR is so darn big, it may act a lot like the SRR than I am giving it credit for.
View Quote
nice, thanks for the detailed info and pics

ETA: are the Amish allowed to have electronic items?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You are welcome!

Ha!  I do believe the Amish would cast me out a sinner based solely on my RC room.  Label me some kind of, "Lipo-Lucifer".
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You are welcome!

Ha!  I do believe the Amish would cast me out a sinner based solely on my RC room.  Label me some kind of, "Lipo-Lucifer".
View Quote
i was going to add this to my cart also, if i get super rock rey for $63

Front Spindle Set Aluminum (L/R): Super Rock Rey

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely! These are on my ebay watchlist, too.  Was next step if/when RPM ones fail.  I feel like there are still enough surrounding flexible plastic parts that these would work.  Every time I go aluminum spindles in past rigs, they bend, then snap around same spots.  Couldn't be my driving, lol!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Now  the Super Baja Rey looks interesting also

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Now you're talkin!

On my wishlist, too.  Im a sucker for Baja Rey 10th scale, so this one just seems like I would like it even more. I do know one person with the King version and he likes it a lot. I have crawled with him and he works at hobby shop by my house, we just need to hook up on the larger scale outings so I can see it in action.

Fingers crossed that there's another flash sale soon with these or the others on the block!

Man, a like new V2 SRR just popped up for $700 in my local area.  It's the dark grey and red one, too.  Must....resist!
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I went ahead and ordered the SBR 2.0 in yellow/grey I love the large scale realistic trophy truck look, I know from reviews the back ends tends to flex but it's not a concern for me yet, I know there's braces you can attach if needed and it has real beadlock wheels!

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Also what is a good forum to be in? I am in rctech, rcuniverse and rcgroups for years
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I went ahead and ordered the SBR 2.0 in yellow/grey I love the large scale realistic trophy truck look, I know from reviews the back ends tends to flex but it's not a concern for me yet, I know there's braces you can attach if needed and it has real beadlock wheels!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1173/3096/products/LOS05021T1_A03_DX8SL5O9_1024x1024.jpg?v=1600970588

View Quote

BRAVO!!  That was a fantastic choice!  I am jelly!

Please keep us(mainly me, lol) updated.  Got a daughter graduating HS tomorrow and off to full ride NAU scholarship after summer, so thought about getting an older stand-up Jet Ski and one of these soon, !
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Also what is a good forum to be in? I am in rctech, rcuniverse and rcgroups for years
View Quote

I am not a good source as to the forum suggestions.  I am only on here and have not accessed my FB since 2010 and vowed not to go back.  I was going to join RCCrawler but never even got around to that I don't think, lol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am not a good source as to the forum suggestions.  I am only on here and have not accessed my FB since 2010 and vowed not to go back.  I was going to join RCCrawler but never even got around to that I don't think, lol.
View Quote
Yea. Facebook sucks but really they have some of the most active groups.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yea. Facebook sucks but really they have some of the most active groups.
View Quote

You are correct - and not wrong.  My RC buddies just sigh and say, "Dude, just sign up a new account".

I did try logging into my old account a few months back once when a fellow RC enthusiast I met looked up my name and found me there.  But the verification process it was asking me to do to send people I haven't talked to in forever some mystery codes and have them log in somewhere and type it in, was not only laughable, but ridiculous .

One day I may join back up, but I was kind of hoping I would get over my RC phase and not have a need to....Buuuut that isn't working out too well now either, haha!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are correct - and not wrong.  My RC buddies just sigh and say, "Dude, just sign up a new account".

I did try logging into my old account a few months back once when a fellow RC enthusiast I met looked up my name and found me there.  But the verification process it was asking me to do to send people I haven't talked to in forever some mystery codes and have them log in somewhere and type it in, was not only laughable, but ridiculous .

One day I may join back up, but I was kind of hoping I would get over my RC phase and not have a need to....Buuuut that isn't working out too well now either, haha!
View Quote
That said a lot of groups are active but get pretty repetitive. The same questions over and over kind of thing. There are some pretty knowledgeable people here. It's just a lot slower.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Please keep us(mainly me, lol) updated.  Got a daughter graduating HS tomorrow and off to full ride NAU scholarship after summer, so thought about getting an older stand-up Jet Ski and one of these soon, !
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1173/3096/products/LOS05021T1_A03_DX8SL5O9_1024x1024.jpg?v=1600970588

Congrats to you and your daughter, i have 12 more years before mine graduates
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Got it today. Quick shipping from horizon. It's  yuge at 34 length and 16 wide, the pictures don't really do it justice with the scale of this thing.

I got their Spektrum dual smart charger also but the Spektrum 2 x 3s and 4s 100c lipos are back ordered

ETA: order the Skookums upgrade kit being shipped from the UK - great company and the owner - Ben

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Congrats to you and your daughter, i have 12 more years before mine graduates
View Quote

Thank you kindly!  Little brainiac is majoring in microbiology.  I think when the whole country shut down on her B-day it was a real eye opener as to how things "work", lol.

Everyone said it would go fast and they were right!  I am still processing it all.  Good news I can share is I don't feel old, just can't stay up as late as I used to, ha!
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40454/42E06469-E65D-4493-A473-33D48900B8F8-2391821.jpg

Got it today. Quick shipping from horizon. It's  yuge at 34 length and 16 wide, the pictures don't really do it justice with the scale of this thing.

I got their Spektrum dual smart charger also but the Spektrum 2 x 3s and 4s 100c lipos are back ordered

ETA: order the Skookums upgrade kit being shipped from the UK - great company and the owner - Ben
https://assets.bigcartel.com/product_images/323258601/upgrade+set+v1.png?auto=format&fit=max&w=650

View Quote

HAWT-DAWG!

That is sweeeeet!!  My buddy has me on a real "squirrel!" moment with the 6s roller Mojave from Arrma.....so the SBRv2 purchase might get shelved for a little bit for me.  Which is no too bad since it is about to get to 175 degrees here daily and nightly for the next few months, haha!  Will at least give me a bunch of time to get crawler, basher and drift builds-built!

Glad you got so quick!  That was fast!

I got some skids and nets for my UDR way back when from a local China to LA drop ship.  I have yet to run that truck or even install all the extras I got for it, lol!  Probably have waaay too many rigs as it is....nahhhhh!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#21]
My addiction is killing me. Just got this yesterday

1/7 Arrma infraction and modded it already with Snap-off stickers

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh man, that is nice!  Love the color scheme on that one. Subtle. You are still in "party-stage" with the addiction so you've got a long while before we need to toss you into rehab, lol!  Enjoy that one! Just this week, I got sidetracked and found another one I was after, the V2 Maxx. Could not pass up at the price seller let it go for...so back to saving for one of the Mojave or SBR 2.0's!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh man, that is nice!  Love the color scheme on that one. Subtle. You are still in "party-stage" with the addiction so you've got a long while before we need to toss you into rehab, lol!  Enjoy that one! Just this week, I got sidetracked and found another one I was after, the V2 Maxx. Could not pass up at the price seller let it go for...so back to saving for one of the Mojave or SBR 2.0's!
View Quote
nice, i like the Maxx. The XMaxx is crazy too
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40454/958A8350-7731-40EE-B673-0C3BF7D9B968-2412392.jpgMy addiction is killing me. Just got this yesterday

1/7 Arrma infraction and modded it already with Snap-off stickers

View Quote
Nice!!

8s!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
wow very nice - i ordered the scorched inner fenders and carbon infills with Ti skid plates front and rear too
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top