Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/26/2020 7:48:48 PM EDT
I want to build a submarine. I've been rereading Red Storm Rising, and want to build a Cold War sub. I have too many for a poll. So which one first?

US

Soviet. The two at the bottom are a Delta IV and a Mike.

Sad that only a company in the former USSR will make a kit of the US boats.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the 688 boat and Victor 3.... or maybe the November
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thresher and Victor 3.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The Gato class USS Cod was used post WW II in the Atlantic during the cold war.

Revell has a nice large Gato kit that just reappeared in production.

The Cod is docked at Cleveland OH as a War Memorial and open for tours.

I have many pictures from a few years ago. Close friend served on her during WW II.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Gato class USS Cod was used post WW II in the Atlantic during the cold war.

Revell has a nice large Gato kit that just reappeared in production.

The Cod is docked at Cleveland OH as a War Memorial and open for tours.

I have many pictures from a few years ago. Close friend served on her during WW II.
View Quote
I have their 1/72 Gato. also have a Nautilus Models Balao conversion, and a WTC. Going to make USS Barbero. My grandfather was the plankowner skipper.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I could get the use of my right hand back to the point that I could build models. I have a really nice 1/350 scale Reuben James that I would love to build
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Victor 3 it is. Followed by the 688 with VLS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The quintessential Cold War boat would be a 41 For Freedom Boomer.

Benjamin Franklin Class.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Benjamin Franklin Class.
View Quote
Definitely on the list for when I can afford to buy again. One of worst calamities that could befall a modeler is happening to me. I have to build from the stash, with no restock in sight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Definitely on the list for when I can afford to buy again. One of worst calamities that could befall a modeler is happening to me. I have to build from the stash, with no restock in sight.
View Quote
I've prepped well!  I now have to live to 187 to build them all.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Benjamin Franklin Class.
View Quote
Hmm... this gives me an idea for a diorama.  I'm just not sure if I want to order a kit from China to do it.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to be a common malady
So long as the hands and especially eyes hold out
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hmm... this gives me an idea for a diorama.  I'm just not sure if I want to order a kit from China to do it.  
View Quote
Ukraine actually.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eyes were one of the reasons I switched to 1/16 from 1/35. And being rc, I can get away with playing with my models after I build them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm getting to the point because of the nerve damage in my right hand that I may be selling off my stash.

I don't think I'm ever going to get that manual dexterity back that is needed for building and painting.

I'm 53 and I've been building models since I was 8 years old. Model building has been one of my passions the majority of my life and it has really hit me hard that I don't think I'm ever going to be able to build another one
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ukraine actually.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ukraine actually.  
Well, the Franklin class model I was looking at would come from Ukraine, but there was something else I'd add that was going to come from Hong Kong.  I really don't want them to include some bonus corona virus with my order.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:25:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Optivisor for the eyes.  But this sucks....

Attachment Attached File

Thumb has been bothering me for a year or two.  MD thinks I need a replacement thumb joint.  Symptoms are pointing to De Quervain's tenosynovitis.  Going to try the brace for a few months since it's cheap.  But I'm this close to throwing in the towel and getting surgery.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Now I need to decide if I want to dig out the airbrush and supplies, or just brush paint.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Now I need to decide if I want to dig out the airbrush and supplies, or just brush paint.
View Quote
Dig out??  Man, those should be on the ready at all times!  I used to keep my airbrush packed up, but once I set up my bench and acquired a small compressor, it stays on the ready.  Just outside my workshop door into my garage I have a 60 gallon compressor for car work, but it was a real PITA to pull the hose all the way out of the reel in the middle of the garage and route into the workshop.  
Airbrush man! Airbrush!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dig out??  Man, those should be on the ready at all times!  I used to keep my airbrush packed up, but once I set up my bench and acquired a small compressor, it stays on the ready.  Just outside my workshop door into my garage I have a 60 gallon compressor for car work, but it was a real PITA to pull the hose all the way out of the reel in the middle of the garage and route into the workshop.  
Airbrush man! Airbrush!
View Quote
Just moved, and I'm in an apartment now, so I can't just set up my spray booth and leave it. I miss my garage
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm getting to the point because of the nerve damage in my right hand that I may be selling off my stash.

I don't think I'm ever going to get that manual dexterity back that is needed for building and painting.

I'm 53 and I've been building models since I was 8 years old. Model building has been one of my passions the majority of my life and it has really hit me hard that I don't think I'm ever going to be able to build another one
View Quote
Well don’t give up yet.
Are there some other hobbies you can do that would allow you to build stuff, and maybe regain some of that dexterity?  Things that might be a little more coarse or larger parts?
How about your left hand?   Does it work OK otherwise?  Train yourself to work with it, if its OK.  Use things like masks to help with painting.  Do you have an airbrush?  If you use masks, you might be able to get away with your other hand, same with learning to weather.
Anyways, it should be relaxing.  Build some of your less expensive kits and have some fun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Easiest "model" ever. A little sanding, drill 3 holes, glue on the planes and screws, boom. Ready for paint.

Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just moved, and I'm in an apartment now, so I can't just set up my spray booth and leave it. I miss my garage
View Quote
Oh, bummer.     I remember when we first got married and I was building RC airplanes in the spare bedroom of our apartment.  Wasn't easy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Working on the Thresher/Permit now. These Mikromir kits are not as easy as they appear. Absolutely no alignment tabs or pins. I have to glue styrene strip to one hull half then tape it together tight. Great detail and accuracy though. They remind me more of limited run kits.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Man, never realized quite how small our old nuke boats were. Smaller than WW2 fleet boats.

Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Just finished the Skate and November.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
So, for my short hull Sturgeon, I want to do Pogy. Hunt for Red October and all. Unfortunately, the kit is early fit, so no towed array houding. I have 4 long hulls with the towed array, so I'm going to cut out a scale 10 feet just aft of the sail to make it match the short lower hull.I

Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Man, the tiny sail on the Permit class is throwing me off. Sturgeon behind. The sail is so small, it makes it look like the model is in a different scale.

Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#29]
There should be a Skipjack in there.

Certainly illustrates how the small size of the Permit sail makes the scale look off.

Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Did the November come from Ukraine?  I was looking for one, but all I found were coming from Hong Kong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did the November come from Ukraine?  I was looking for one, but all I found were coming from Hong Kong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
November is by Zvezda, a Russian model company.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice subs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Just finished the Foxtrot. Funnily enough, the only one of the subs I have that I've actually been on. And what a janky piece of junk it was. I had a mild concern it might sink at the pier.

Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well don’t give up yet.
Are there some other hobbies you can do that would allow you to build stuff, and maybe regain some of that dexterity?  Things that might be a little more coarse or larger parts?
How about your left hand?   Does it work OK otherwise?  Train yourself to work with it, if its OK.  Use things like masks to help with painting.  Do you have an airbrush?  If you use masks, you might be able to get away with your other hand, same with learning to weather.
Anyways, it should be relaxing.  Build some of your less expensive kits and have some fun.
View Quote
@JQ66

I can build AR lowers. I can do other things but it's the details, the minutiae of building models that I don't think I can do with my right hand and with my left hand I'm just really not there yet dexterity wise because I never had to use it for things like that.

Yes I have an airbrush I haven't tried it yet left handed.

I have about 15 models that were in different stages of being built and getting ready to paint when I got sick.

I have quite a few 1/48 scale German armor that I had already put the camouflage yellow bass down but I haven't tried with the other two colors yet.

I have at least a hundred and fifty kits in the closet that was supposed to be my therapy in my later years.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Started Pogy. I need a short hull Sturgeon with a towed array, but the short hull kit is early. So time to cut 10 scale feet out of a long hull kit.

Looks good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Pogy is ready for paint.
Long hull Sturgeon, short hull Sturgeon, and Thresher/Permit.

Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I actually finished well I should say almost finished have not painted it yet, a Guppy II conversion.

Lots of fiddly bits which I actually was able to get built even with a balky right hand.

I have a Skate coming from the Ukraine to build. Whenever that does arrive
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I actually finished well I should say almost finished have not painted it yet, a Guppy II conversion.

Lots of fiddly bits which I actually was able to get built even with a balky right hand.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9749/20200318_162619-1321780.jpg

I have a Skate coming from the Ukraine to build. Whenever that does arrive
View Quote
Nice. AFV Club?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nice. AFV Club?
View Quote
Yes... nicely molded. Crisp lines the deck is very nicely done.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Always make sure the model is out of the toddler's reach.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Always make sure the model is out of the toddler's reach.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145185/20200319_211045-1323974.jpg
View Quote
Ouch
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I love that GUPPY 2. I did a AFV step sail GUPPY. I remember the deck cleats were half the size of a grain of rice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I love that GUPPY 2. I did a AFV step sail GUPPY. I remember the deck cleats were half the size of a grain of rice.
View Quote

Yep and they still are. And it was quite an adventure with one hand that is not 100% trying to install those
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#44]
And is that a stock 1/350 model. The detail looks good. I might need to add a tall sail GUPPY to my step sail GUPPY.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And is that a stock 1/350 model. The detail looks good. I might need to add a tall sail GUPPY to my step sail GUPPY.
View Quote

I was very impressed with the detail. They have a 1/350 scale Gato and Balao class that I'm going to pick up as well. They look just as good as the Guppy
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

SUBMARINE PASSING THROUGH MINES DIORAMA-Epoxy Resin Art
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#47]

That's a damn good result, considering it sounds like this was is first time trying a diorama of that type.

If he had used the same blue resin for the mine supports, they might have disappeared completely!
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Pogy repaired, and added the supports to the towed array tube.

Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#49]
And immediately had to redo the whole towed array. I goofed and mounted it to the side of the stern plate. It should be on top.

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I found a Alfa class submarine model kit that I did not know that I had. It would appear it's one of the kits that I ordered prior to getting sick last year and totally forgot that I had put it in the closet.

Somewhere I have a 688 class boat but I have no idea where it's at
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top