Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2018 10:06:13 AM EDT
Does anyone have experience with this?  My father in law knows my boy and his sons boy really like construction vehicles.  I recently got him a roku and set it up so he  could watch netflix and YouTube on his TV.  He somehow found a bunch of channels/videos with rc vehicles set up at what looks like conventions with detailed construction sites set up.

He now wants to set something like this up for the grand kids in his basement.  The boys are only 2 and 3 so not looking for anything crazy expensive.  I have seen models from $30-8k lol.  I am thinking something in the $60-100 range so he can get multiple things like excavator, loader, backhoe, dumptruck, etc..  Would he just be wasting money in this price range for light duty use stuff?  I know these would be mostly plastic, but they wouldn't be abused to much and would only get used once a month or so.  I just dont want him wasting money on junk and can throw in if something better is needed.

Any go to brands for this or ones to stay away from?  I appreciate any feedback!
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought the Huina 1550 Excavator and 1540 Dumptruck for my nephews.  I was pretty impressed with the excavator, lots of functions.  Not super powerful but will move sand or elbow macaroni.  Dumptruck doesn't "steer" by turning the wheels, it operates like a skidsteer.  I should have bought a couple spare batteries, they last a while but charge pretty slow.

They've held up pretty well for being played with by kids from 4-9.  I think they managed to burn up the motor that rotates the cab on the excavator.  You can get some replacement parts.  They were also cheap enough that you aren't out much when they die.

What I found was that there were either $$$$$ really cool construction equipment with hydraulics and such, essentially adult toys.  Or toy quality stuff that really wasn't worth much.  The Huina stuff is on the higher end of the toy grade stuff.

IIRC the Huina stuff is also sold under another name but I can't remember offhand what it was.  I can't remember if I bought from banggood or gearbest.  Whichever it was shipped pretty quickly and it was quite a bit cheaper than any I could find for sale in the US.

https://www.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_536395.html

https://www.banggood.com/search/huina.html?sbc=1
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
No experience, but am intrigued by this kind of stuff...

RC Gold mine:
YouTube GOLD - FULLY LOADED at the GOLD MiNE (s1 e11) | RC ADVENTURES

Also:

RC4WD Heavy Equipment
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That guy does a lot of cool stuff.  He had a full size rc skidsteer

The LARGEST RC I've Operated - FULL SiZE Radio Control SKiD STEER | RC ADVENTURES

Looks like RC4WD has come down on their prices from when I last looked.

Not construction but appropriate for this time of year
RC ADVENTURES - Radio Controlled 3D Printed Snow Blower, Tracked Kyosho Blizzard & Spyker Workshop
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
This is all HO scale (1:87), yes, the same HO scale as the most popular model railroad stuff.

Go to 00:50 for the excavator and dump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-NqJhARng
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like OP needs to watch Little Giants Construction Co on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LilGiantsConstrCo

RCGroups has some discussion sections for land vehicles on RC construction vehicles.  Check that out as well.  People there may be able to point you in the direction of some models.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is all HO scale (1:87), yes, the same HO scale as the most popular model railroad stuff.

Go to 00:50 for the excavator and dump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-NqJhARng
View Quote
That’s really neat.  I had no idea anyone was doing that with HO scale vehicles.  I thought at first they were Faller car system, which is something like slot cars, but without the slot.  Those are used in large numbers at the miniature wunderland in Hamburg Germany on their massive model railroad display.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.  Lots of good ones in the price range we are looking at in the link provided.  We just finished up remodeling the basement and i ordered the first couple vehicles and built a sand box and going to something with food colored pasta so the vehicles have stuff to dump/dig/move

Will follow up with  a review on the Huina vehicles i ordered once we give it a test run
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top