Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 7/24/2019 12:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WOAFP]
Happy International Tequila Day everyone!

In light of the "Holiday" I thought I would take this opportunity to teach Arfcom a little bit about Agave and all the amazing things that are made out of it.

So for most of you guys, when you start to think of tequila or agave, you probably have horrible memories of things like Jose Cuervo Gold and the horrible "coming to god" moments that come after drinking it. Well, it doesn't have to be such a terrible experience, and the class of spirits is far more in depth than you could ever imagine.

So lets start with the bigger family: Mezcal.

Mezcal, in this sense of the word, is any alcoholic spirit made out of agave (or in some categories sotol). I'll get back to this word later, but it means something different when used on bottles. Mezcal as a class originated when the Spanish colonist in Mexico realized the locals were making a rough beer out of crushed agave pinas (the soft sugary center of an agave), that had been previously roasted to focus the sugar, and allowing it to ferment. The spanish introduced the native people to the Filipino style clay stills that could be made locally by mexican ceramics workers. This spirit exploded in popularity with the locals but was regarded by the spanish as low quality spirit when compared to the brandies, sherries, and other spirits from the old world. The local people eventually started to standardize the practice and over centuries it became steeped in culture and local traditions. These traditions and small variations per area later became known by the classes I will discuss.

Let's start with the big dog; tequila. Tequila is in fact a mezcal. It is an alcoholic spirit made out of agave. The part that makes tequila different is that it is made from only one type of agave, the Blue Weber. On top of being legally required to be made out of blue weber, tequila can also only be made in the state of Jalisco and limited municipalities in the states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas. This is protected by a law, or NOM in mexico, that is recognized by over 40 countries. The other things that make tequila so much different is the break from the old tradition of roasting the agave pinas in a pit using mesquite wood. Instead tequila has shifted to large industrial ovens called autoclaves to roast their agave. Although some good brands do still use brick ovens to roast and steam (with the moisture inside the agave) the agave before fermenting.The roasted agave is then broken down in large shredders before being pressed to pull out all of the sugar and moisture. This extract is then added to spring or purified water and then fermented using either wild or cultivated yeast in large vats. This is then distilled in large pot or even column stills, and then water is added to typically bring it to 40% alcohol, then bottled. If the tequila is going to be aged, it is generally placed in a previously used oak barrel at the still proof, and then diluted after aging before bottling. Traditionally agave spirits were not aged, but instead drank Joven, or young.

Traditionally drank neat, out of a small ceramic bowl called a copita, tequila has transformed over the years into largely a cocktail drink or shooter. Unfortunately with the demand for low quality tequila for these uses we have seen an increase in additives such as caramel to color low quality tequilas like jose cuervo gold. The bests tequilas are going to clearly state 100% blue weber on the labeling.

If you would like to try a better quality tequila to see what they can actually be like try to find the Fortaleza blanco or still strength. These are amazing traditionally made tequilas.

And interesting thing often seen with tequila is a trend towards higher ratings for tequilas produced closer to traditional methods. Roasting the agave over days concentrates and caramelizes sugars in a way that cannot be achieved through chemical or quick cooking methods. Those flavors carry on all the way to the end product and makes up a large part of the flavors we all love and enjoy.

A thing to be aware of with tequila, is that production method drastically impacts flavor. Brick ovens slowly roast the agave over days. This caramelizes the sugars the same way as smoking a brisket. The flavor builds up over days, and everything breaks down to the point where the sugars are ready for fermentation. The next method, is the autoclave or pressure oven. These speed up this process. Some people use autoclaves under no pressure and just steam. This is still a multi-day roast. Others though, use it like an instapot and put multiple atmospheres of pressure to cook the agave in as little as 6 hours. The same way as some ribs coming out of a instapot are soft and tender but don't have as much flavor, is exactly what is happening here. The last method is a diffuser. These are MASSIVE machines, some 100's of yards long, that uses pressurized jets of water to cut the agave up without ever cooking it. Then, many using different acids to make the sugar available for fermentation. This leaves the end product having almost no flavor of the agave and harsh notes that many describe as "too sweet". This is because more sugar is being made available for distillation, but that sugar is concentrated and stripped away from the fatty lipids in the plant that carry the flavors we are used to.

Photo of a diffuser

Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

So those sarao are dodgey as hell. The importer name references another name that doesn't exist, I can't find ttb approvals for them, and the nom seems to not exists. All that said, they are actually well made and enjoyable despite being so cheap. It seems like total wine just straight up smuggled it in though which is bizarre.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Received for Christmas:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Any of these worth picking up?  I used to have  to wait for a trip to dfw or Houston to score good tequila, but looks like the local guys are starting to stock more finally.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TSU45:
Any of these worth picking up?  I used to have  to wait for a trip to dfw or Houston to score good tequila, but looks like the local guys are starting to stock more finally.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166097/A2EC7ED8-AE23-42F7-8319-A859EE407C40_jpe-2217677.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166097/8AEE21D7-B9CB-4121-A936-A6B5F60B59AF_jpe-2217679.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166097/4D391C5C-2A71-45A5-98FD-89C6B4247254_jpe-2217680.JPG
View Quote

Oh shit. You walked in the room and flopped your massive quiote on the counter with this one. I would personally avoid the neta, but almost everything else you have there is top notch especially the lalocura and mal Bien. The jerk who runs neta is a diehard lefty and she went on some pro communism rant last year on their official social media channels after the riots started. So I always try and point anyone away from spending any money with them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 7:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Speaking of El Tesoro EA, my TW had one bottle:  $150.
View Quote

Wow! I guess the price change must have hit you. It's still $100 here. It's incredible stuff but the $50 jump is rough
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WOAFP:

Wow! I guess the price change must have hit you. It's still $100 here. It's incredible stuff but the $50 jump is rough
View Quote

The XA has gone from $100 to $150 at Total Wine in AZ.   Old Town Tequila has it at $110.   I'm glad I stocked up on a few bottles over the summer.  I really like the XA, but it is getting a bit pricey.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried some Pasote Blanco because of this thread. Tasty stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elvis121] [#11]
The 2021 Tequila Ocho Reposado from the El Pastizal estate is really good.  Slightly more fruity or citrus notes than the estate I got last year along with some really good lowkey pepper notes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Update:  The Suerte Blanco is growing on me, especially at the price point.   I didn't think much of it when I first tried it, but I had some last night and I may keep a bottle in the rotation.  If anyone else on here tries it, let me know what you think.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone else get in on old town tequilas El Tesoro Laphroaig finish?
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bakke1:
Anyone else get in on old town tequilas El Tesoro Laphroaig finish?
View Quote

I saw the email, but did not get a bottle.   I was honestly on the fence about it, and by the time I decided to look more into buying one it was sold out.  

How is it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Hey neighbor! I grabbed a few from breeze here in Lexington. It's fantastic stuff. There are some bottles at the bigger liquor barns too.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip about Liquor Barn. I picked up a second bottle at the one in Middletown. Cheers!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]

I am hoping TW (AZ) gets the Fortaleza Winter Blend in before I have to go back overseas.
View Quote

Not going to lie man, its really really good. I hope youre able to get one
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#18]
@WOAFP

do you have any insight as to why some of the El Jolgorio bottles are clear, and others black?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I am hoping TW (AZ) gets the Fortaleza Winter Blend in before I have to go back overseas.

Is it $150 good?    TW near me still doesn't have it, but Old Town is releasing their supply tomorrow at $150 per bottle.   I don't know where TW will price it once they have it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bakke1:
@WOAFP

do you have any insight as to why some of the El Jolgorio bottles are clear, and others black?
View Quote

I do. The clear bottles are their standard release with perpetual batches. Starting about 5 years ago things that were super limited in supply like the coyote were deemed to be once a year releases. So the black bottles release in the fall with some variety of the bottles year to year. They arr always pretty limited and not many of them make it out there, but they are pricey.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:43:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZGR] [#21]
Well Old Town Tequila sold out of Fortaleza Winter Blend immediately.   I received an email yesterday saying that they were releasing it for sale at noon PST today, so I set an alarm to remind me.  I tried to add it to my cart and it was gone.  At first I thought that maybe I was too early, but kept checking for 15 minutes and until the website said it was sold out in record time.    I guess I will hunt for it at my local TW because it doesn't look like they have released it yet.

I noticed that a lot of stuff I was looking for at Old Town seems to be sold out.  I ordered a few bottles that I've had before but can't find locally and a couple new ones to try.  I wanted another Cascahuin Tahona Blanco but it is sold out as is the 48 Plata, so I'm going to try the std Cascahuin Blanco.  I'm also going to try Pasote repo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]

I do. The clear bottles are their standard release with perpetual batches. Starting about 5 years ago things that were super limited in supply like the coyote were deemed to be once a year releases. So the black bottles release in the fall with some variety of the bottles year to year. They arr always pretty limited and not many of them make it out there, but they are pricey.
View Quote

Awesome, thank you! Snagged a black Arrequeno and a clear pechuga.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]

For $150 I’d get the El Tesoro EA for the historical context if nothing else.
View Quote

I really like the Tesoro XA, and actually added a bottle in my most recent order from Old Town Tequila when I couldn't get the Fortaleza.   It doesn't seem like Old Town has raised the price of the XA too much yet, so I'm trying to stock up on some bottles when I can while the price is still relatively reasonable ($110).  

I don't think a Fortaleza Winter Blend is going to happen for me unless I get really lucky.  I spoke to someone at Total Wine in Phoenix yesterday, and he doesn't expect to get any of it this year.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:11:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#25]
A newcomer to the local Hy-Vee……anyone recommend  this…?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, pick it up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:
A newcomer to the local Hy-Vee……anyone recommend  this…?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/4650529D-1EF5-47E7-AE3B-0A94DF509FC2_jpe-2236684.JPG

View Quote

Assuming his sons paid attention, it'll be great.  I wonder how their product compares to the original?  Might have to get a new bottle and break out one of the old ones and compare them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:00:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#28]
Will be heading to Arizona next week for a few days and I’m going to make a stop at one of my honey holes to search for some unusual and/or rare tequila and mezcal. This place always has the best selection that I’ve seen. Stay tuned for pics and inquiries during the hunt....!
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Care to divulge said "honey hole"?

I can tell you that Total Wine in Scottsdale (Shea and Desert Ridge) have a far greater selection than does BevMo!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @bondservant2 :
Will be heading to Arizona next week for a few days and I’m going to make a stop at one of my honey holes to search for some unusual and/or rare tequila and mezcal. This place always has the best selection that I’ve seen. Stay tuned for pics and inquiries during the hunt....!

Care to divulge said "honey hole"?

I can tell you that Total Wine in Scottsdale (Shea and Desert Ridge) have a far greater selection than does BevMo!

+1 on the AZ honey hole..   :)

Total Wine has a decent selection, but they tend to push a lot of their "spirits direct" product which I'm not always a fan of.  I am starting to like Tres Amigos tequila from TW as a reasonably priced mixer.

I know that Topps Liquor in Tempe used to have a pretty good whiskey selection, but I haven't been there since I started getting into Tequila.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#34]

No kidding:  a friend asked for some mezcal recommendations and I gave him some.  He came back with ZERO from the list (and I know they were in stock) and all Spirits Directs...he said that's what the guy in the store recommended.

I replied I gave you a list.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZGR:

+1 on the AZ honey hole..   :)

Total Wine has a decent selection, but they tend to push a lot of their "spirits direct" product which I'm not always a fan of.  I am starting to like Tres Amigos tequila from TW as a reasonably priced mixer.

I know that Topps Liquor in Tempe used to have a pretty good whiskey selection, but I haven't been there since I started getting into Tequila.

No kidding:  a friend asked for some mezcal recommendations and I gave him some.  He came back with ZERO from the list (and I know they were in stock) and all Spirits Directs...he said that's what the guy in the store recommended.

I replied I gave you a list.

Well shit …. my “honey hole” Sun Devil Liquor in Mesa is permanently closed.
I’m supposed to be getting some insight as to some of the stores in this area that might have a good selection of mezcal / tequila.
I will say that Total Wine has probably tripled their selection of mezcal from last year…..

Here are a few selections from TW that are not available in my home area….anything recommended…?Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#35]
My latest haul from Old Town finally showed up almost 2 weeks after ordering it.   I have had the G4 Blanco before and really liked it, so I ordered 2 bottles to stock up a bit.  I haven't tried the Pasote repo or the Cascahuin Blanco but am looking forward to both.  If the Cascahuin Blanco is anything like their Tahona, I will be happy.  Not pictured is a Tesoro XA I included in my order since I feel like it is going to be hard to find before too long and I'm trying to add to my stash when I can.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#36]
AZ folks, I found a great spot to buy some agave..  Trevor's in Scottsdale, located at McDowell just West of 74th St.   They have a great selection of Tequilas and a bunch of Mezcals although I don't know Mezcals well enough to recognize all of the good ones yet.   I got a store pick single barrel repo Volans, a single barrel repo El Tesoro, and a Cascahuin Plata 48 Blanco.  They had a bunch of bottles of the Tesoro Laphroaig Anejo, but I passed because I'm not sure if that one is for me.  

Down the road I returned an empty keg at Topps liquor and looked to see what they have for agave.  They have a limited selection of tequilas and mezcals but with some good bottles for sure.  Topps had a bottle of Fortaleza Blanco and a Fortaleza repo so I grabbed them both.  There was also a lot100 blanco which is supposed to be really good but my agave budget was tapped so I passed on it.  

I will be making more stops at Trevor's in the future to get stuff that other local stores don't carry.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#37]
Saw this one hiding in the corner at Liquor Express in Tempe….$399.00
Attachment Attached File

No it did not come home with me……
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/751F67D0-544F-40CF-BB4A-127DA2189098_jpe-2250621.JPG

View Quote

I would have bought it. I've been looking for that forever
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/751F67D0-544F-40CF-BB4A-127DA2189098_jpe-2250621.JPG

I would have too. Love the Ocho.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I assume that's a tough bottle to find?   If you can figure out the logistics of how to get it from the PHX area and want someone local to help you get it, let me know.    I would be happy to assist as a payback for all of the info you have contributed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#41]

I assume that's a tough bottle to find?   If you can figure out the logistics of how to get it from the PHX area and want someone local to help you get it, let me know.    I would be happy to assist as a payback for all of the info you have contributed.
View Quote

I really appreciate it! My sister in law actually lives there and is going over to get it for me this morning. That bottle was the original first harvest estate for tequila ocho when Tomas Estes (now deceased) and Carlos Camarena decided to try creating a tequila that highlights terroir. Now with ocho no longer being produced at la altena and with Tomas gone, it's a piece of tequila history more than anything else.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Good to see that you are getting it.   From your comment I could tell that it was a special bottle.

If you end up in Phoenix to go shopping, check out Trevor's liquor in Scottsdale.    It's relatively new, but they have a much better tequila selection than Total Wine and I think also some decent mezcal options.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Good to see that you are getting it.   From your comment I could tell that it was a special bottle.

If you end up in Phoenix to go shopping, check out Trevor's liquor in Scottsdale.    It's relatively new, but they have a much better tequila selection than Total Wine and I think also some decent mezcal options.

View Quote

My in laws all live in the Phoenix area and my wife heads out there a few times a year. I'm moving to Korea in march, so she'll probably drive out that way to say goodbye to family and bring it with her. I am a giant baby about the heat so I usually try to avoid the trips.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#44]
And it is already at home with my in laws waiting for us to pick it up

Thanks form skipping it @bondservant2    
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#45]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/888-2251541.jpg

View Quote

I might have seen one of those a while back.  I'll have to check out the shop again and see what it was.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WOAFP] [#46]
Originally Posted By Elvis121:

I might have seen one of those a while back.  I'll have to check out the shop again and see what it was.
View Quote

Only 1000 of them hit the US and only 1500 total were made. They go for big bucks when they pop up anywhere
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Only 1000 of them hit the US and only 1500 total were made. They go for big bucks when they pop up anywhere
View Quote

So the big question, are you going to drink it or let it sit???    

Also, Phoenix is great in March.    Come out, enjoy the weather, amd catch a spring training game.    It doesn't really get hot here until June usually.   :)
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#48]

So the big question, are you going to drink it or let it sit???    

Also, Phoenix is great in March.    Come out, enjoy the weather, amd catch a spring training game.    It doesn't really get hot here until June usually.   :)
View Quote

I want to tell myself I'm immediately going to open it like my other rare stuff but this one is going to be hard to open at first. Might have to wait for an important anniversary or milestone birthday
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:00:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#49]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/888-2251541.jpg

View Quote

Shit…..
Your welcome ….. ?
Be sure to toast one for me……if you open it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Shit…..
Your welcome ….. ?
Be sure to toast one for me……if you open it.
View Quote

The booze world is small. You showed me something I wanted and I had to have it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top