Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2019 6:11:07 AM EDT
I started to use a straight razor recently and there is quite the learning curve as one might guess. I use a dbl edge safety razor but I couldn't get the detailed areas of my face well because I sport a beard and mustache. I used not do much maintenance between visits to the barber who does an outstanding job on these areas and keeps me from looking like a mountain man with a spotty, scraggly beard.

The dlb edge razor head occluded my vision and I would miss a large amount of whiskers or I would start shaving areas I wanted to keep. SO I began to investigate Straights. I wanted something maintenance free and saw my barber used a shaver with a disposable blade I checked some out on Amazon and ended up with this.

It is cheap so if I abandoned the idea I wouldn't be out much $$.

Lemme state again that there is a significant learning curve My first shave I was bleeding from all over. I was pretty nervous and caught a few nicks from being apprehensive with my technique. After a while I gained confidence and my shaves improved. I cut my hand somehow I was blotting up some leaks and couldn't figure out where the blood kept appearing from. Then I found out I caught the outside of my pinky almost the full length of my middle joint. I have no idea how I did it either. My subsequent shaves have improved and I am bleeding less each time. Most are just baby nicks that dry up rather quickly.

Technique and lubrication are key here. I use a tube base creme similar to Porazo
applying it thin allows it to dry out fast. So I wet my fingers smooth the area out with the water, wet the razor and start to shave. It is pretty cool seeing the hairs just pop off when the blade touches it . I can shave my neck easily up and down, and I thought I'd have the hardest time with that area too.

As for the detail shaving it works like a champ and I really like it. I can hit individual hairs and stubble which cleans up my shaved areas quite nicely. It does take more time but I do not have to hit these areas constantly. I can use the dbl edge to knock out the majority then use the single to clean up and detail the areas around my lips and nose as well as even up my cheek line.

I thought I would post this for those who were wondering if using a single edge razor would be a good alternative but cost and blade maintenance would be the prohibitive reasons for not trying one out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Incidentally, you aren't the only one here giving it a shot. I've been working with a shavette the last few weeks here too. Like a lot of others here, I've been motivated to try something different and to say "adios, mother fucker!" to the nutjobs at Gillette. So off to Amazon I went and picked this up here.

Amazon Product
  • STYLISH YET ERGONOMIC DESIGN - With its 2-tone black and chrome design, Black Widow straight edge razor is minimalistic yet has that feel of classy construction and masculine design; double-coated to prevent chipping and add more protection. Great value for money and a smooth shave everytime!
  • COMFORTABLE GRIP; BALANCED WEIGHT - At 2.6 oz, the Black Widow straight edge barber razor causes less vibration from the razor blade while shaving. Properly balanced, it is perfect for easy maneuvering and prevents strain on the wrist; feels substantial and great in the hand
  • PRECISE, SMOOTH CUT - This cutthroat razor is added by popular demand! It features an armature swing lock design for secure blade insertion; created with thumb notch and ridged shank for extra control and non-slippage, which is crucial when doing close shave

I have to agree, it's a broad and rough learning curve to it. I saw the tutorials and read the tips. I understand how to do it in theory, but it seems like putting the technique in practice has been a challenge. But I did know it would be right out of the gate. I think the part I tend to struggle with most is my coordination when bouncing off a couple of mirrors to see when hitting the sides just in front of the ears. Another thing too is being able to get around the curves and contours of the face- especially on the chin and jawline. Got a lot of deep cuts, but I seem to be doing a little bit better.

I'm also trying to experiment with some of the expendable stuff too. I did use the last of my gel goop the first couple of times. I figured it didn't matter since I was learning technique. But in an effort to try something easily sourced, I have been using a tube of sandalwood Cremo from Walgreens. Not bad, just doesn't seem to rinse off the blade too easily. But I did add something new yesterday. I was in Tombstone yesterday and one of those shops was Mr. Moustashe (I think it's called) selling some soaps and oils. I figured I'd add some of that oil into the mix and so far I'm glad I did. Had my best shave thus far last night. Not really sure if the oil really is that good, or if it's the placebo effect here. But I liked it. Still nicking myself, though. But I expect I will continue to do so until I'm proficient. It's all about learning.  If I can get it down, i'll be springing for a Dovo set that I have my eye on.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
whats the appeal to a straight razor?
a perfect shave every time?
i find the gillette type razors cant shave well after the third or fourth use. then it leaves stubble which my wife hates
am seriously considering the straight razor if it will cure these issues
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a Shavette, not a straight razor.

For learning, you would be MUCH better off using a real straight razor.  One that is properly sharpened.

The bleeding will be a LOT less and the learning curve will be MUCH shorter.

This might help: https://bespokeunit.com/shaving/shavette-vs-straight-razor/#difference

Trust me on this. Been there. Learned the lesson....I described my first Shavette shave as "an exercise in blood."
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i find the gillette type razors cant shave well after the third or fourth use. then it leaves stubble which my wife hates
View Quote
What razor are you using and what blades?
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
In terms of    (comfort) / (cost) ratio

I would have the following ranking

1) Feather Artist club SS ( folding or kamisory-style) with their Professional Blades)
These are 5 cm blades that are much thicker at the base, so provide 'straight razor-like' feel but without the sharpening needs

There is also a 20$ Korean clone of the kamisory-style SS, called CJB
https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/cjb-wh100b-kamisori-style-shavette-uses-feather-artist-club-blades/

Or there is a 8$ Chinese version, that takes same blades:   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33025689610.html
(search for univinlions razor)

2) Straight razor + stropping belt.  They vary widely in price.
The cheapest one is Gold Dollar 66. It is popular but requires professional work to make better edge
Discussion here:  https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/super-cheap-gold-dollar-razors.355662/

3) Chinese style A77 (also called Antilope) razor and blades
(eg go to aliexpress and search for 77 or 77 razor or antelope blade )
These are 6cm , so much longer than standard 4cm DE blade. They flex less when in a metal shavette and also are sharp.
Example:   https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Razor-Blade/2883188_511261466.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32807008532.html

4) Shavette taking the halfs of the Double Edge blades.  These are the worst in my experience (unless you are doing just touch ups)

Using good shaving soap, warming up your face before with hot towel, and then making nice leather is also important.

Most cuts happen when blade first touches a new area of the face. So you have to be mindful of that,  and not let your attention relax when you are touching new side or at a new angle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I will update. I have been using the razor since I got it. I just use it to detail my beard and mustache since my dbl blade head is so large. It works pretty got after I have gotten the jitters out and figured out the correct angle.

As I said before water is your friend here, it add to the lubrication as does the shave cream. I can move along at a quick pace under my neck and cheek areas. The funny thing is when the new blade is fist being used it seems too sharp. after a shave or two it levels out and becomes more forgiving.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#7]
My 02.  I had a similar shavette at one point as well.

Make a log of your shaves and the results.  Note the soap, brush, razor and blade (if applicable) so you can track what is and isn't working.  If you don't have good soap, a good brush and a good razor - it will not be a pleasant experience.  For my friends - I recommend Whipped Dog's synthetic brushes.  I own two of Larry's brushes (badger and synthetic) and while they are both great, I personally found the synthetic was the best performer.  Soaps I previous had lackluster results seemed to explode with creamy lather once I got a good brush.  I personally opted for the 30mm brushes and followed his advice to set them an extra 15mm deep.  I also picked up a pasted balsa strop which has been a big improvement on my straight blade care.  I only use it a few times a year, and it results in my needing my straight sharpened professionally only once every few years.

Your lather shouldn't be drying out before you can shave your face. Find our your water hardness and read reviews on soaps your interested in using - you'd be surprised at how differently the same soap performs across the spectrum of water hardness (and with a good brush).  I recommend staying away from glycerine based soaps, and use tallow based soaps instead (Mitchell's Wool Fat (which also has lanolin), Mystic Water, Sterling Soap, etc).  Unless, of course, your one of those tree hugging, animal lovers that thinks Tallow usage is a sin - then you should probably stick with your Lady Gillette disposable razors and go find a safe space

I found that 1/2 DE shavettes resulted in constant nicks because it has the equivalent of a Spanish point on both ends, and combined with the shortness of the blade - it resulted in the ends digging into my face regularly.  They are also typically more hefty than a straight - for reference: my Dorko FC was only 39g, but the 1/2 DE Shavette was solid steel @ 68g..

Personally, after focusing on technique and using my 1/2 DE shavette for over a month - when I went back to my straight razor, I found it to be much easier, and significantly more forgiving to use than the shavette.   There were still days where I just didn't have time for stropping and doing the three pass shave so I still needed a shavette  - so I invested into a better shavette that still sees regular action.   I purchased the Dovo stainless shavette along with several blade adapters (I like Dovo's long blade and wreck blades).  It uses a longer blade so you use the exact same techniques you need when using a straight razor, and it's closer in weight to my straight (the 1/2 DE was almost 2x as heavy).  I also have a Rockwell 6C that gets rotated in when I'm really, really rushed.

All the above said - this is a very personal journey, and your face, skin, technique are all different from mine so my gear selection might not be the best selection for you and your situation.   I do stand by my saying you must have good soap, a good brush and good blade - but what that combo is for you, only you can tell.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the appeals of straight razor shaving is that a properly honed and stropped blade is like shaving with a new cartridge razor.  You strop before each shave so it is like shaving with a new blade every time.  

Another benefit is the precision and accuracy attainable with a  straight razor.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top