Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2020 4:19:04 PM EDT

Still keeps perfect time and still water proof.

Are old ones more valuable  than new?

Or too common and just an old watch?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful about the "water proof"....... the neoprene gaskets age and fail.  
What seems to be water resistant may shock you when it leaks because a gasket is old and hardened.

I had a number of diver watches come in because the owner figured that because it was still running and keeping good time, all was well.
They found out the hard way that diver watches really do need service from time to time if only to replace the gaskets in the case back, crystal, and crown.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s a perfect example of a 6309 export market like you would have found at the PX for 130$ in the mid 1980s.

The tritium dial and hands paint were fantastic new.

I’m probably a touch out of date.  Those sell for like 300 bucks indecent working shape.
100-150 would get it a service, new gaskets, etc.  Another 100 would get it relumed.

If it has sentimental value to you, they can come out great.

Until recently, doing that was fairly common.

Now there is a very similar model brand new from Seiko for about $300.
In a variety of colors, etc.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it's lasted pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I just sold one on the bay that needed a service (stopped running when worn) but was all original... got $245 for it.

I also wear one every day, it’s by far the most comfy with crown at 4:00.

you can date it by S/N
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is 40 years old and it’s been serviced once. Keeps excellent time. There’s nowhere I wouldn’t go with it.

Have it serviced it by someone who knows about vintage Seikos, then throw it on a NATO of your choice. And wear it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Great looking piece!  Like others have mentioned, have it serviced, resealed, and rock it!

I love my new, "modern" SRP, but I also love my 6309(s) as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top