Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2020 12:27:48 AM EDT
So I love smoking and make great meat, but I've never been able to make anything close to a good BBQ sauce.  Usually I am really good at making my own sauces: spaghetti, various different hot sauces, etc.  BBQ sauce is the one big one that I just can't get right for some reason and its one that I want to get right more than any of the others.

Wondering if anyone here would be able to share some good BBQ sauce recipes?  I'd appreciate the cooking steps too, as I possibly am messing stuff up somewhere along the process but who knows.

I prefer sauce that is sweet, spicy, thicker, and not too smoky.  But I am willing to try anything that isn't the crap I have tried making myself and failed

ETA: Updated the title since a lot of people seem to be interested in sauce recipes.  Maybe we can just use this thread to request and share.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
Ingredients
o1/2 cup butter o2 medium onions, finely chopped
o3 cloves crushed garlic
o3 green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
o4 cups ketchup
o2 tablespoons cider vinegar
o2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
o1 tablespoon honey
o2 tablespoons soy sauce
o1 cup brown sugar
o1 teaspoon dry mustard
o1/2 cup Bourbon
oground black pepper
Directions
1.In a deep frying pan (Dutch oven?), melt the butter and gently fry the onions, chilies and garlic for about 5 minutes.
2.Lower the heat and add all the other ingredients, except the Bourbon, stirring after each addition.
3.Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, then add the Bourbon and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
4.Let the sauce cool, stir now and then.
5.Put in clean jars or wide neck bottles and label.
6.Store in a cool dark place.

I do more than 3 cloves of garlic since I love garlic and if you use good bourbon it comes out tasty. I tend to add in more apple cider vinegar cause I like mine with acid. This is basic recipe I use. And for the dry mustard you must use Coman's dry mustard powder for the kick it add.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Carolina Mustard (The only type of BBQ sauce there should be)

Ingredients
1 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoon ketchup
2 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I'm a Cholula fan)

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. You don't want the sauce to boil or reduce, the heat is just to ensure the sugars melt and distribute evenly throughout the sauce.
Remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool. Transfer to a lidded jar. BBQ sauce will last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
We use Sweet Baby Rays standard sauce the most, and buy it in bulk.  I also like the Jack Daniels sauce and all flavors of Famous Daves.

I keep all of these at the ready.

Just thawed out a rack of baby backs yesterday.  SBR will be it.

I messed around with several recipes.  I will stick with the store bought ones mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We use Sweet Baby Rays standard sauce the most, and buy it in bulk.  I also like the Jack Daniels sauce and all flavors of Famous Daves.  

I keep all of these at the ready.

Just thawed out a rack of baby backs yesterday.  SBR will be it.

I messed around with several recipes.  I will stick with the store bought ones mentioned.
View Quote

I typically use Cowtown BBQ sauce, which is my favorite bottled sauce, but I have to order it online since nobody sells it here in MI.

And thanks to the guys above for the recipes!  I'll likely be trying them out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Huh, apparently Cowtown sauce is made by Joes in KC. Will have to give it a try. I'm perfectly content with store bottled sauce.

You might search for copycat Cowtown BBQ sauce recipe too.

I did a quick search and found this one https://www.cookingindex.com/recipes/26310/cowtown-bbq-sauce.htm
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Huh, apparently Cowtown sauce is made by Joes in KC. Will have to give it a try. I'm perfectly content with store bottled sauce.

You might search for copycat Cowtown BBQ sauce recipe too.

I did a quick search and found this one https://www.cookingindex.com/recipes/26310/cowtown-bbq-sauce.htm
View Quote

Thanks for that recipe.  Very cool that they have a Cowtown clone sauce.

And Cowtown is awesome.  If you like spicy sauce they have one called Night of the Living BBQ that is phenomenal, and that's the one I mostly use since my GF loves spice too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Great thread. I'll be looking over ingredients good and hard when I try my first sauce. Something I've been flirting with for awhile and was planning on pulling the trigger on this summer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Years ago, an Arfcommer (@TheCampNinja, or something like that, Posted a recipe for "The Sauce." It was delicious, but I can no longer find the recipe.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Years ago, an Arfcommer (@TheCampNinja, or something like that, Posted a recipe for "The Sauce." It was delicious, but I can no longer find the recipe.
View Quote

The Sauce

Not sure about cloves in my sauce though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent recipe from Just A Pinch. Not too sweet...or tomato-y...or fake sweet (No HFCS). Very balanced. We used this sauce on chicken today!

Homemade BBQ Sauce

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning (equal parts salt, black pepper, and garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)

1. Whisk together all ingredients in a medium saucepan situated over medium heat. Allow to come to a
bubble and then reduce the heat to low. Allow to simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes

2. Serve immediately or allow to cool slightly and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a
week.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Sauce

Not sure about cloves in my sauce though.
View Quote
Yeah. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for that recipe.  Very cool that they have a Cowtown clone sauce.

And Cowtown is awesome.  If you like spicy sauce they have one called Night of the Living BBQ that is phenomenal, and that's the one I mostly use since my GF loves spice too.
View Quote

I just picked up a bottle of the regular Cowtown. I didn't know what to expect, but I immediately loved it. Its plenty spicy for me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Off the Shelf I like the Stubbs Original or Spicy

Homemade I like DR. PEPPER BBQ SAUCE
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Off the Shelf I like the Stubbs Original or Spicy

Homemade I like DR. PEPPER BBQ SAUCE
View Quote

Sounds interesting. Here's a simple Cherry Cola BBQ sauce recipe from Steven Raichlen I've kind of wanted to try.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been a fan of Stubbs original BBQ sauce for years now.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#18]
One of my favorites for pulled pork sammiches:

1 cup of yellow mustard 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper

The sauce is very "layered" in flavor, or so I think - you get the initial mustard taste, which is quickly followed by the sweetness of the balsamic vinegar, which then gets a little tangy. It finishes up with a nice heat that leaves you wondering where it came from.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just picked up a bottle of the regular Cowtown. I didn't know what to expect, but I immediately loved it. Its plenty spicy for me.
View Quote

I'll have to give the regular a try again.  For the past few years I've just bought the Night of the Living BBQ so I've mostly forgot how the regular one tastes.

Another pretty good one that my GF loves and got me to try is Rufus Teague's Touch O' Heat.  Pretty good for a commonly found store sauce.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Meatheads is my go-to for BBQ related. I use a lot of his recipe's when I'm smoking. His rubs are a great place to start as is his sauces. This is my "good ol' stand-by" I keep stocked in the fridge all year round.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually start with something like sweet baby rays and then tweak it to what I'm trying to do with the meat.

so this weekend I was doing bourbon pulled pork shoulder. basically took a half bottle of Rays into a bowl and added (roughly, I go by taste):
1 c ketchup (organic, no sugar)
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c maple syrup
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
bunch of onion and garlic powders
lemon juice from like one lemon
1/2 c 100 proof home-aged evan williams
None of this is cooked or simmered so it still has some alcohol heat

I did a dry rub for the first 3 hours, mopped them, wrapped them, did another 2 hours but could have gone longer. had a side of the sauce to serve. I was very happy with it and it even got a vegetarian to go for seconds.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m an Old Bay nut. I buy Mission BBQ’s Bay-B-Que sauce and damn is it perfect.

Mission BBQ is a chain for those that don’t know of it. Their meat is so so but a few of their sauces are bomb.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually make a basting sauce with ketchup, worcestershire sauce, a little vinegar, a little mustard, some onion & garlic powder, and some brown sugar. Sorry I can't give you the amounts because I just make it by eye and taste. It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Since a lot of people seem to be interested in sauce recipes in here I updated the title.  Maybe we can just use this thread for members as a request/share/discussion piece.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Search for “Pride of Deer Camp”. It is a vinegar base sauce, once touted by Jeff Smith. Not his original recipe, but been out there for decades. Great for pork and chicken. So-so for beef.

Also good as an added at the table sauce.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Gave up making my own after trying Dave's devil spit sauce.  A little hot, but nice flavor and pretty cheap at walmart here in Wi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top