Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/12/2018 8:49:21 PM EDT
I have just concluded some testing.

If you like hard boiled eggs, 5 minutes on high pressure, 5 minute rest, release pressure, quench with cold water.  Eggs are on wire rack that comes with the pot, 3/4 cup of water in the bottom while cooking.

The shells almost fall off your eggs.  Even fresh eggs.  I just peeled a dozen in just over a minute, my second batch.

I use my Instant Pot as a huge time saver for weekday, after work, meals.  I would have bought one just for the way eggs turn out!!!

Black Friday is just around the corner.  Put one on your list.

eta: revised to 3/4 cup water.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
absolutely love mine! i am on my second(wife fubard the first on the stove burner). replacement parts are cheap(your seal ring will absorb some odors or wear out over time as will the other silicone parts). lots of online recipes, tips, how-to's....etc. plenty of built in safety features. w/all the presets, it's very versatile(slow cooker, sear...etc). if you spend the $$ for the bluetooth one, you can program it from your phone and download proven programs for certain things.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I use mine 2-3 times a week and love it.  I made a pot roast 2 days ago along with potatoes and carrots in less than a hour.

It's also a great slow cooker.

I find it to be one of the best kitchen appliances I have.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for that information.  My wife and mom use theirs extensively.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
we love ours also.  its worth it just for the hard boiled eggs but we also use it for pot roast.  heres a quick recipe we do for weeknights, easy and good.

~2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 16oz jar green salsa (we use Herdez)
optional - mushrooms, green peppers or okra, whatever you got fresh or frozen

high pressure for 20 minutes, release pressure or let it sit works either way.

we serve over white rice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I mostly use mine to make Greek yogurt, Pho, and hardboiled eggs (for pickled eggs).
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mostly use mine to make Greek yogurt, Pho, and hardboiled eggs (for pickled eggs).
View Quote
Got a pho recipe?  It’s one of my favorite meals but never ventured into making it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Browning zome pork as we speak for IP carnitas.

IP risotto is also pretty good, but I think I prefer the long-hand method.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
which instant pot and size do you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Our 6qt Duo is about the right size to feed 6-8.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, but consider that when you really get in the swing of things, you will want two or more.  Nothing like having the meat main dish cooking away while a second dish of Mexican beans, chili beans, or cowboy beans is cooking away, unattended, while you serve up drinks at happy hour.

The 6 qt is the one that usually goes on sale on Black Friday, so put it in your wish list.

I just did another dozen eggs a few minutes ago.  This time I used a cup of R.O. water rather than tap water.  The stainless pot was much cleaner.  All of the eggs peeled effortlessly, no stuck skin, no rips, tears, or anything.

I am kinda pissed that nobody told me about this sooner.  All of the wives tales about other methods of cooking hard boiled eggs that peel easy is horse shit.   I am hoping to save a few souls that love hard boiled eggs.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have made stock, but Pho didn't cross my mind.  I need to go to an Instant Pot awareness school.  I feel like I missed out on part of my life.

I made chicken adobo a few days ago.  

If they come out with a malted barley steeping profile, they are going to rule the world!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, but consider that when you really get in the swing of things, you will want two or more.  Nothing like having the meat main dish cooking away while a second dish of Mexican beans, chili beans, or cowboy beans is cooking away, unattended, while you serve up drinks at happy hour.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife just bought one and she loves it. She did spaghetti in it and I hated it. Other stuff she's done came out good, even some Alfredo chicken so you can do pasta in it but the spaghetti was shit texture wise. Like moosh.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I really need to get one of these, I have been watching the vids on YouTube from another members wife and it just looks so versatile
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I steamed broccoli and corn on the cob yesterday, mainly because it was sitting on the counter when I thought about it.  Broccoli cook time is 2 minutes.  I did 4 ears of corn for 3 minutes.  It was less hassle than steaming the broccoli in my steamer and boiling the corn.  Both turned out perfect.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I steamed broccoli and corn on the cob yesterday, mainly because it was sitting on the counter when I thought about it.  Broccoli cook time is 2 minutes.  I did 4 ears of corn for 3 minutes.  It was less hassle than steaming the broccoli in my steamer and boiling the corn.  Both turned out perfect.
View Quote
Y'all have about talked me into getting one.

To cook broccoli in 2 minutes or corn in 3 minutes, does that require any preheating? Or just put it in there and turn it on and its done a few minutes later?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Y'all have about talked me into getting one.

To cook broccoli in 2 minutes or corn in 3 minutes, does that require any preheating? Or just put it in there and turn it on and its done a few minutes later?
View Quote
it will take a few minutes to pressurize so that's the "preheat" time.  but it doesn't take long.  they are great tools to have in the kitchen.  I always share this one bc its so easy and good, we do it every week or so.

2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 16oz jar green salsa (we use Herdez brand)
add some okra or mushrooms or green peppers if you like
high pressure for 20 minutes, serve over white rice.  it's delicious.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Slow cooked Pho yesterday.  Strained it, put in fresh mirepoix, chopped chicken and beef, and brought to high pressure for 5 minutes.  Turned out great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
awesome for rice too...
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#20]
We need recipes in this thread!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We need recipes in this thread!!
View Quote

Recipes are a guideline.   I color outside the lines.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I considered getting one for about 2 weeks as I tried to repair my old Sanyo pressure rice cooker.  The problem was it doesn't do rice well, and I can cook hard boil eggs on the stove that are easy to peel as well.  And, I have been doing so for 30 years.

It came down to whether I would use the Instant pot for other things.  Me, not really.  My wife, no way as she will not stop using the crookpot in the morning then come home to dinner at the end of the day.

So, the Zojirushi LGC05XB won, and the Amazon sale price of 30% off helped.  It's a great rice cooker, and it cooks steel cut oats exceptionally well.

The instant pot will have to wait for another year or two, or three.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I just used mine too make a bunch of bone broth. What normally can take a whole day or even overnight I made happen in 3 hours.

Bone broth is more than just a regular broth or stock, you extract every single bit of goodness from the bones.

I roasted some soup bones, veggies and short ribs in the oven,  then put out all with some water and a couple tablespoons of vinegar in the insta pot for an hour. Quick release then I pulled out the short rib meat (it just fell off the bones) and let it all go for another two hours.

I ran out all threw a strainer put in a big bowl in the fridge. The next day I had a huge bowl of meat flavored jello because of all the connective tissue that broke down.

I used half of it to make some stew that had a broth that was amazing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I have two 8 quart that I bought on sale from Amazon.  The first one was $99 and the second was only $63, but I really caught them at the right time.

I generally can't wait to cook every day using these, it's so easy to make amazing tasting food.  Yesterday I made a chicken enchilada casserole using a frozen breast, with total time of less than an hour.  I put the frozen breast in for 12 minutes but it wasn't quite done, so another 5 min. did the trick.  Shredded it up and back in the pot with chopped up corn tortillas, cheese, corn, black beans, sliced black olives & spices.  Stir then add some extra cheese on top with more olives and heat for a few more minutes.  An incredible dish, that is one of the household favorites.  Another favorite is thick cut boneless port chops with potatoes & carrots.  You cannot take them out of the pot with a fork because they just pull apart.

Buy a non stick inner pot for easier cleanup, and as a switchable container for storage & serving two dishes.  For instance, Boston Baked Beans can be made in an hour or so from dry beans, then you can switch to pulled pork for sliders in the second inner pot.  Awesome meal!
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#26]
The saute' aspect of the thing really makes it a one pot machine.  Anything to reduce dishes is a plus in my house with three kids.

I really need to get the lid, pot covers, and another pot so I can cook and put it directly in the fridge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I use mine in my semi truck as well as having one at home. Eggs are awesome, we bought the egg stacker to avoid cracks. I'm going to do some frozen chicken breast later today to make chicken salad for this week.  We like to cook spaghetti squash, whole, in it. Turns out great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I picked up the crock pot version at HD a few months back for $49, while I have yet to use the insta pot part yet I find the slow cooker mode to be outstanding. My old crock pot would boil on low. This one cooks perfectly on low, slow cooked pot roast, pintos chili all simmer away while I am at work.

I know its odd since I have a insta pot...
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 4:00:59 AM EDT
[#29]
fuck... more money...
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I swagged chili in mine tonight after coming home late from work.

2 pounds ground beef
1 16 oz jar medium chunky salsa
1 green bell pepper
2 cans red kidney beans
onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, seven pepper blend
About 1/2 cup extra water b/c it was thick and I didn't want to burn it.

Browned the ground beef and bell pepper together, threw in everything else, stirred it up, processed for 10 mins with a quick release.  It wasn't as good as what I make on the stove while it simmers all afternoon, but for a fast weekday night dinner it was quick and easy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Love mine and pretty much only use it for "boiled" eggs nor that I have a sous vide cooker.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Did beef short ribs in mine tonight.  Pulled from the freezer, put on a wire rack over a cup of water, season with standard steak seasoning.

Process for 35 mins at high pressure, natural release, left them on the "Keep Warm" setting for about another 20 minutes while I made salad and a side.

So, from frozen to table in well under 90 minutes and I spent more time chopping fresh veggies for the salad than on the ribs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I needed some baked taters to go with some steaks. We were watching some show and I didn't want to have to keep checking and flipping taters in the microwave.  It was much to late to bake them. 

I hit the search engine and put 4 decent sized taters on the Instant Pot rack with a cup of water.  15 minutes on high pressure.  Perfect.    I poked the taters with a fork, applied olive oil and seasonings, prior to the steam process. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Chuck roast was on sale this week so I bought several.  Threw a 3# roast into the Instant Pot on the rack over a cup of water with some generic "steak spices" on top.  Cooked at 35 mins high pressure while I made salad, quick release (it was late and I was hungry), and it was better than any crock pot roast I've had.

WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Love mine.

Mac n' cheese for the damn win.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Love mine.

Mac n' cheese for the damn win.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4t76nKM/0/2864aabb/XL/i-4t76nKM-XL.jpg
View Quote
looks great! care to share how you did it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

looks great! care to share how you did it?
View Quote
@iammrbill

She's the wife of one of our ARFcom members.  I added some country sausage to the batch I posted a pic of.

Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Instant pot? Like just add water?

I didn't know there was such a thing.

I'm sure it's really convenient...but I'll pass.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@iammrbill

She's the wife of one of our ARFcom members.  I added some country sausage to the batch I posted a pic of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zq8YoMFFO0
View Quote
thank you!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Instant Pot Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup:
2 Chicken Breasts, frozen ok.
7 cups water
6 chicken bullion cubes
(you can do your own broth, just use 7 cups)
Uncooked veggies as you like, carrots celery etc.
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 stick butter
25 minutes high pressure cook
leave 10 more minutes under pressure then release
Remove and shred chicken then put back in pot
Add in 1/2 bag of egg noodles or other noodles (8oz worth)
5 min high pressure cook, release pressure when done.

Takes about an hour, but it's really good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Rice-A-Roni, a lot less hassle and time in the instant pot:

Saute rice with 1T butter in Saute mode until pasta browns.
Add seasoning and 1 1/2 cup of water, stir
Set for pressure cook, low pressure, 12 minutes.
Vent after 12 minute pressure cook cycle is over.
Let it sit for a bit before serving.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Chicken Tacos:

3 Chicken Breasts fresh or frozen
1/3 cup water
one chicken bullion cube
Sprinkle Taco seasoning on chicken breasts
Push poultry button, will go 15 minutes High Pressure.
When done release pressure
Remove and shred chicken and serve.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Any of yinz do chili in your instant pot? I'm skeptical since in my mind chili is one of those things that has to simmer for hours on end.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Any of yinz do chili in your instant pot? I'm skeptical since in my mind chili is one of those things that has to simmer for hours on end.
View Quote
Many times.  Delicious.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Many times.  Delicious.
View Quote
Well mine is pressing up right now! Might as well give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you like hard boiled eggs, 5 minutes on high pressure, 5 minute rest, release pressure, quench with cold water.  Eggs are on wire rack that comes with the pot, 1 cup of water in the bottom while cooking.

The shells almost fall off your eggs.  Even fresh eggs.  I just peeled a dozen in just over a minute, my second batch.
View Quote
Tried this today, it works.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can still flour and brown the beef before you throw it together.  It saves a lot of time in the Instant Pot. What I do find is that it is a bit harder to judge the ending liquid content.  I use flour/masa roux to tighten up chili and flour/butter roux to tighten up stew and stroganoff.  Arrow root is another inert tightening ingredient. The pot has a sauté feature where you can brown the meat in the pot, but I find the cast iron skillet on a gas commercial burner tends to be quicker. 

It is great, being able to create these meals in an evening after working all day.  I get the stuff in the pot as soon as I get home and while it is cooking, I get other shit done around the shack. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#48]
My wife managed to break our 6qt instapot last night.  The drama from her cooking is usually something to behold.  The pressure valve handle came off.  What is weird is the pot got hot enough it decided it had a seal and ran down the timer, but there was no seal and it just boiled the shit out of the soup.

Weird...
Edit - we just got it in July and there is a 1 year warranty.  Sent them an email this morning asking for a new lid.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well mine is pressing up right now! Might as well give it a whirl.
View Quote
@JustinHemi04
How'd it turn out?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@JustinHemi04
How'd it turn out?
View Quote
It was OK. But not thick enough. I guess I will have to use corn starch or something to thicken it up if I use insta pot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top