Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 11:51:35 AM EDT
I have a Lebanese neighbor.  He's been a citizen for 10 years, great guy (and family) who totally wants to be American.  Outstanding neighbor.

A couple of summers ago, he decided he wanted to start barbecuing.  I got him started, gave him some pointers, and then the dude dove right in.  He cooks just about everything on a big Weber charcoal grill.  And I mean everything.  He's way better now than I ever was, with the exception of the slow-cook stuff...he still thinks 5 or 6 hours is a slow cook.

Sometimes the results have been...interesting, when he experiments.  Never bad, exactly, but nothing you'd want seconds of.  Last night, though, he baked bread and mac & cheese on the grill.

I don't know how he went about it, I just had the finished result, but both had just a bit of smokiness to them, nothing overwhelming.  The bread had this perfect, crunchy, smoky, sesame-covered crust and a moist, tasty interior...some of the best bread I've ever eaten.  The mac & cheese was a Bosnian recipe he found on YouTube, 5 cheeses, topped with bacon, parsley, and cilantro...the herbs had actually crisped up...and it was easily the best mac & cheese I've ever had.  And I mean ever.

He's sending me recipes, I'll post them when I get them, but in the meantime...anyone else ever bake bread on a smoker?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Subscribed
View Quote
Me too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Love me some Mac and Cheese. Patiently waiting....
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe this is the mac and cheese? Neat video even if it isn't.
The Ultimate Mac and Cheese! - King of Cheese

edit: just read the description of the video. Only 3 cheeses and it is parsley, not cilantro in this one. Whoops
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
He works different shifts from me, so I don't see him as much as I used to...chatted with him this evening, and forgot to ask...I'll try to remember tomorrow, he's coming over!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I think this is the recipe for the mac & cheese:  

The Ultimate Mac and Cheese! - King of Cheese
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
.anyone else ever bake bread on a smoker?
View Quote

I do pizzas on my Weber Kettle with a kettle pizza. That kinda like bread but with better toppings.

I could see it would be easy to do in my wsm. I roast whole chickens in it at 300-350 degs. Full pan of water with the door propped open will maintain that temperature range. Use maybe one small chunk of wood so you don't over smoke a bread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top