Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2020 1:24:30 PM EDT
One of our Past Grand Masters is trying to get another Past Grand Master expelled.  Nothing special there, but the past Grand Master that is subject to expulsion is Mike Smith, 33rd, Lt Grand Commander of the Scottish Rite and SGIG of SC.  

The reason is that Mike Smith allegedly had a zoom call with the local SR bodies to see how everyone is doing.  He stated that these were not meetings, and he informed the current Grand Master before he did so.  He was acting in good faith from the Grand Master.  The Grand Lodge has threatened to expel everyone on the calls, which is over 120 Masons.  

In our jurisdiction charges must be brought by the Junior Grand Warden, not by a random Past Grand Master.  Rumor is that the Past Grand Master that is starting this, Jay Pearson, is trying to get Smith out so he has no opposition to run for Grand Secretary.  

Peace and Harmony?  Never heard of her.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The GL is trying to keep it secret.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The reason is that Mike Smith allegedly had a zoom call with the local SR bodies to see how everyone is doing.  He stated that these were not meetings, and he informed the current Grand Master before he did so.  He was acting in good faith from the Grand Master.  The Grand Lodge has threatened to expel everyone on the calls, which is over 120 Masons.  
View Quote

Why would they care.... A: Not meetings. B: Zoom calls so not violating any social distancing or whatever.... like, seriously who would care?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why would they care.... A: Not meetings. B: Zoom calls so not violating any social distancing or whatever.... like, seriously who would care?
View Quote

The GL is afraid of technology.   We are not allowed to use zoom for any purpose at all.  The rules we are under around any tech are oppressive.   No Lodge can have any social media account whatsoever.   Our websites have to be approved ON PAPER.  Any digital interaction is prohibited.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The GL is afraid of technology.   We are not allowed to use zoom for any purpose at all.  The rules we are under around any tech are oppressive.   No Lodge can have any social media account whatsoever.   Our websites have to be approved ON PAPER.  Any digital interaction is prohibited.
View Quote

WOW... that is ridiculous.

I mean, Freemasonry in general isn't that tech savvy but in the last 20 years they've come a LONG way. I'd love to see more and I'm lucky that MO is not terrible in that department... but paper? Wow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

So Masons are Menonites now?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The trial keeps getting pushed back.  

The core of the whole thing is a personal vendetta by a Past Grand Master, Jay Pearson, against another Past Grand Master, Mike Smith.  Pearson is widely regarded as an arrogant ass and Smith is widely loved and respected by the craft.  Pearson has no active role in GL, but has assumed jurisdiction instead of the Grand Junior Warden over the trial and has personally hand selected the jury of his brown nosers and family members.  Which means it's a show trial.  

Rumor is that the man running for Grand Master this year is on board with the whole thing and there is a movement to run someone against him for Grand Master.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
wtf?

how is a group of mason getting together on a zoom call OUTSIDE of lodge any business of the grandlodge in the first place. it's not a meetting or really even a masonic function anymore than inviting them to dinner would be.
View Quote

Little Man with a grudge is in play here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Last week the Grand Master walked into Mike Smith's lodge and revoked their charter.  He said there were people in the Lodge "usurping the Grand Lodge."

We're stuck with this guy until April.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes they are
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#13]
We've been on zoom almost all year - talk about a learning curve

amazing... good luck with that guy
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Show trial was yesterday.   Mike Smith has been kicked out.  Now there is an open seat for deputy grand commander and a seat at the 33rd table in the Scottish Rite.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#15]
deleted by poster
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]
The oldest Lodge in our state is Union Killwinning in the Charleston area.  Chartered in 1755 I believe.  

Our worthless GM has arrested their charter.  No one seems to know why at this time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Outsider here. Since this is a public forum where people like me can post, I'll say some things.

I was very seriously considering petitioning the lodge in my area for admittance. Then I came here and also checked out Reddit. The result was that there is no shortage of dirty laundry on display and it's easy to find. I didn't even try. I just wanted to view Freemason communities and see how you all conduct yourselves. And while the more common members are indeed civil, the upper leadership for many Grand Lodges seems to be filled with...

Politics

I have never seen an institution so rife with politics and backstabbing as this one. I think there's a case to be made that if a Democrat politician spent twenty minutes looking at Freemason communities online, they'd be impressed. Or maybe on the other hand, they simply handle their issues more discretely.

For an organization centered around secrecy, being able to read about all of this on an open forum is confounding.

Technology

Fear of technology is never the answer. Actually, fear of anything other than God is never the answer, and even that should be a different sort of fear.

Any given piece of technology to have a pronouncement made on it should first be understood and evaluated. I would be highly surprised if no aspect of Freemasonry could be aided through the use of some incarnation of technology.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Keep in mind that the only account of these events is coming from Hodapp's blog.  He likes to sensationalize things to drive people to his blog.  Neither the SC GM or PGM have publicly stated anything (and it would be inappropriate to do so).  Hodapp's account may be entirely accurate but the best we say at the moment is it is hearsay.
View Quote

Sorry, but the source of the information is not just Hodapp.  I'm living through this, and I posted about it here long before Hodapp posted about it.  I also know that Hodapp had several inside sources besides just me, uh, besides some random guy in SC.  

As far as this being hearsay, it is not.  This is happening and the descriptions on Hodapp's blog have been accurate.  There are many people in my Lodge and in my area that were directly involved in this atrocity and can verify that Hodapp's article is correct.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Why? Why does the laundry need to be publicly displayed? Here we have a man that had ben considering Masonry, but because of a few isolated instances of disharmony, he now feels the Craft isn't for him.

Something, something, something...Whisper good counsel.
Something, something, something...Harmony
Something, something, something...Strength
Something, something, something...Support.
Something, something, something...Governing yourself.
Something, something, something...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why? Why does the laundry need to be publicly displayed? Here we have a man that had ben considering Masonry, but because of a few isolated instances of disharmony, he now feels the Craft isn't for him.

View Quote

It's not the Craft I question.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are exactly right.  

My entire purpose is to drag this corruption into the light since it affects one of the few national level organizations in Freemasonry.

And after over 20 years, I'm not sure it's for me either.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The first charge also speaks of the transactions of the Lodge. I feel this all could have and should have been handled within the ranks and discussed and hashed out at the Grand Lodge amongst the assemblage.

To the poster interested in Masonry, for what it's worth, I've not seen on the local level. I've also not seen it in the state level either. I've only been a Master Mason for about a year but I had been hanging out for a year or so prior and also reading the same forums you had. Reddit is a bad example when it comes to controversial issues because the majority of posters there, Masons though they may be, tend to veer toward liberal tendencies and support those causes, etc.

There's no getting around that there are definitely people who have joined in order to rise through the ranks for selfish reasons. It's a fact of life, but Masons who are truly walking the walk aren't going to be doing that, it's against just about every tenet we have. While it's not a Christian organization I feel many things direct us to Christian ideas; love and treat your neighbor as yourself, serve God, country, family, neighbor, in other words the upside down Kingdom, those in power should serve, not be served. My discussions with Brothers in and out of Lodge bear no resemblance to the discussions I've seen on Reddit and most controversial issues are avoided in the first place. YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Keep in mind that the only account of these events is coming from Hodapp's blog.  He likes to sensationalize things to drive people to his blog.  Neither the SC GM or PGM have publicly stated anything (and it would be inappropriate to do so).  Hodapp's account may be entirely accurate but the best we say at the moment is it is hearsay.

@wswartzendruber I would encourage you to reach out to a local lodge before you commit to a hard "no".  If you need assistance I am good friends with the current GM of ID and a couple PGMs.

Reddit is not reflective of Masonry as a whole.

Our secrets revolve around obligations.  Nothing else is secret.
View Quote

@medicmandan: Despite my previous post, this is something I want to investigate further. I would like to meet with local Freemasons. How do I request this?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@medicmandan: Despite my previous post, this is something I want to investigate further. I would like to meet with local Freemasons. How do I request this?
View Quote

Just find out when your local lodge has their meetings and show up about 30 minutes prior to that and talk to some of the members.

Here is a link to find the lodge and times
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I heard he was just reinstated?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I heard he was just reinstated?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
sounds like bro disher has long forgotten what masonry is about. he should be expelled for his conduct. it also makes me really wonder how a man like that got that far.
View Quote

Can’t disagree.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#32]
His cronie O.B. Smith was not elected to GM.  Ron Mitchum was elected to GM.  

I've been told charges against Disher and Pearson will be issued very soon for unmasonic conduct.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#35]
It was a long but productive 2 days. There was a lot of shouting and anger, but overall, the proceedings went according to Robert's and Masonic rules.

This is what I witnessed:
  • About 1,000 South Carolina Masons attended of which just over 700 were voting members and the balance being non-voting Past Masters. I was a non-voting Past Master.
  • All charges against MW Mike Smith were voted to be "set aside" meaning they are now treated as though they never happened. MW Mike Smith is fully restored.
  • Landrum Lodge's warrant had been arrested and several members brought up on Masonic Charges. Their warrant was restored and all Masonic charges were set aside.
  • Union-Kilwinning Lodge's warrant had been arrested and several members brought up on Masonic Charges. Their warrant was restored and all Masonic charges were set aside.
  • Past MW Ron Mitchum was elected as Grand Master instead of RW O. B. Smith.
  • RW A. C. Flora IV was elected Junior Grand Warden.
  • It was obvious that MW Cal Disher was not happy with how everything concluded, however he generally conducted himself with decorum throughout the proceedings. Some of the negative assertions are true, however I was generally impressed by how he handled things.
  • On Friday, MW Mike Smith was seated on the dais with the other Past Grand Masters.
  • On Friday, MW Cal Disher asked MW Smith to come forward and the two embraced. The crowd erupted in cheers. MW Mike Smith then cordially addressed the Brethren.
The majority of the members have spoken, and there is now a renewed vigor in South Carolina Masonry. In my opinion, and many I spoke with agree, the actions taken may not have been the best actions to take, but there were very few if any viable solutions. South Carolina Masons in general had become negative, disillusioned, and in some cases adversarial. Something needed to be done to break the pattern. The results made the necessary corrections.

Yes, there was collateral damage, and a minority of members remain very unhappy with the actions taken, but the results are the results. I can only pray that we can all move forward to heal and strengthen our fraternity.

Jim Barr, KYGCH
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#36]
That last bullet point is surprising if I'm recalling correctly how all of this played out.  Smith seems like he's a better man than I am.  I'd be hard-pressed to not carry one hell of a grudge after all of that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top