Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2021 1:41:33 PM EDT
I love that this is an actual topic, lol.  Big fan of zombies and guns.  Brought all four of my sons to the range last weekend and we debated this at great length.  For traditional, dawn of the dead, slow walking zombies...we concluded that a 10/22 would be our weapon of choice.  Headshots ALL day with little to no effort!
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait, we have a Zombie section?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SScot:
View Quote

^

Can honestly say im unsurprised at the topic that led us to this discovery
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah headshots...doesn't matter which caliber. 22lr makes a lot of sense.

Functionally for a weapon in that scenario though I'd go with a 22lr AR.

4.5" barrel with a can. Mags fit in an the same kit as I'd use for the larger rounds. Small, lightweight, quiet.

You could also just have the upper with your standard AR.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
be sure to put some clear sturdy glass on it.......
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:
View Quote

And a suppressor gunshots attract zombies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlvinYork] [#6]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:

good point.  Just think there should be quite a few liter bottles laying around.......unlimited supply of jury-rigged suppressors.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

So the trope says.
I suppose it's moot to discuss real world biology where zombies are concerned (though I think it's fun), but I'd always wondered if a 5 day old corpse could still even hear anything; isn't there a fluid in the inner ear (the cochlea, specifically) necessary for proper function, and wouldn't that dry up within several hours or a couple of days after death?  or would it take weeks?
To be fair, they probably wouldn't hang on to their eyeballs all that long either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
no suppressor. If they don't hear you, they won't keep coming and then you run out of things to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Brilliant!  I've never heard a suppressed 22LR, but I imagine it's super stealthy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:

4.5" barrel with a can. Mags fit in an the same kit as I'd use for the larger rounds. Small, lightweight, quiet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20210930_210205_jpg-2112092.JPG
View Quote

Ok - I stand corrected. Your suggestion trumps the 10/22.  But yeah, 22LR all day for zombies.  I have to wonder how reliably an AR chambered in 22LR would feed ammo.  I've not had much luck using high capacity mags with my 10/22 but I usually buy bulk range ammo, so that could be my issue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Wonder how well a supressed 22lr bolt action would work honestly.

You can silenty take them out at a distance. Something like a ruger precision with a drum mag lmao.

Should be quiet as hell. A semi-autos action may still draw attention depending on how sensitive they are to noise. Not saying its terribly loud, but anything nearby may investigate.

Almost like that trope where they step on a tree branch and the noise attracts stuff.

You can also ambush bandits with it, aim for the knee caps and they become a liability, zombie bait, and either die from infection or use up valuable antibiotics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fmpros:

Ok - I stand corrected. Your suggestion trumps the 10/22.  But yeah, 22LR all day for zombies.  I have to wonder how reliably an AR chambered in 22LR would feed ammo.  I've not had much luck using high capacity mags with my 10/22 but I usually buy bulk range ammo, so that could be my issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fmpros:
Originally Posted By Daggertt:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20210930_210205_jpg-2112092.JPG

mine is completely reliable with federal bulk ammo. it WILL NOT run on the Remington gold box stuff though.

also the 4.5 barrel keeps the rounds subsonic, so it's nice and quiet. Not as quiet as a suppressed bolt action wth subs, but way quieter than a 16" suppressed bolt action with standard ammo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SScot:
View Quote

lol.  I didn't realize that either, but around this time of year, I can get into it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#14]
My son has a bolt action Ruger .22 with a suppressor.  Using subs, it's real quiet.
I built him a .22LR SBR awhile back using S&W MP15-22 mags.  This works with no issues!

He rebuilt his 22 SBR into something that looks like the Tomorrow War guns.  But in .22.
I'll see if I can dig up pics.  For his 14th birthday he built a .458 rifle to hunt "vehicles" and for his 15th birthday next month, he's building a .350 for hunting.

He likes to build guns so I encourage him.

Ruger American Ranch

.22 AR SBR with folding stock

.22 AR SBR without folding stock

The .22 AR rebuilt to movie gun

Ruger 10/22 rebuilt into a G36 clone
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#15]
15-22 "pistol"
bushnell TRS 25
would throw on an X300 at the 12 oclock posistion
AAC halcyon can
45 gr subs

very quiet, bullet impact is louder than the action and report noise

i think im up to 13 mags and tens of thousands of rounds

glock 17 backup if the gun gets too dirty and has issues

would also keep an ar15 handy
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
Wonder how well a supressed 22lr bolt action would work honestly.

You can silenty take them out at a distance. Something like a ruger precision with a drum mag lmao.

Should be quiet as hell. A semi-autos action may still draw attention depending on how sensitive they are to noise. Not saying its terribly loud, but anything nearby may investigate.

Almost like that trope where they step on a tree branch and the noise attracts stuff.

You can also ambush bandits with it, aim for the knee caps and they become a liability, zombie bait, and either die from infection or use up valuable antibiotics.
View Quote

I have a suppressed bolt action .22.  With subsonics the loudest sound by far is impacting the target, with the sound of the trigger mechanism operating trailing considerably in second.  I'd guess anyone outside of about 30 yards would be unable to hear anything at all if I were hitting biological targets; those within 30yrds may not even know what they heard if they weren't already aware of it.

Best damn rodent gun ever.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]
what grain bullet?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 9:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#19]
Both of these are integrally suppressed 10/22’s.

Liberty Pinnacle 2 on top and a Gemtech Mist-22TD on the bottom.  I also have a HTA Fusion T-22 but it pales in comparison.  The Liberty is just straight up awesome!

Also:

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:11:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NBCguy] [#20]
Back in the late 80's their were a few folks that tried removing the 10/22 from the stock and mounting it under a 20 inch AR  with carry handle (like you would mount a m203). Then add a see through scope  mount and optics, sight one gun for the optics and the other for the AR sights.

That may cover many of your needs in Zombie land. .22 for head shooting zombies and 5.56 for making bad guys zombies.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Wasn’t a fan of the couple 10-22 I had. This is my choice if I’m not going against living armed threats.

Suppressed
SBR
15-22
Trijicon MRO
g SSA-E trigger
Eats 45gr AE subs very reliable. Maybe one fuck up in 500 once it gets real nasty.

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#22]

THIS is what you desire

Ultra Light .22 AR Takes Ruger 10/22 Mags! The POF Rebel [SHOT Show 2020]

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I would think the MP5SD would give better penetration while staying quieter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 11:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#24]
The inherent problem with most .22 rifles is the reliability - whether it's the rifle itself or the magazines.  It's mitigated somewhat by the Ruger 10/22 having been around so long that most of them are really reliable now with proper mags.

MP5SD in 9mm would also be nice...

Here's my SBR in 9mm:

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]
It's been a few years since I've discussed this topic in this forum so I'm glad to see it come back up again. I agree with the suppressed .22 approach on this since it's super quiet. I personally would use a sbr suppressed .22, a suppressed magpul 10/22 takedown, and a suppressed g17 frame w/ zev .22 upper half. All work well with several types of ammo too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Not the zombies you’ve got to worry about it’s the living.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I think you are going to be underwhelmed by how reliably a .22LR penetrates the skull and then destroys enough functional brain tissue to drop the zombie... I'm not saying it doesn't have its place, but I think its only a suitable round for zombie squirrels.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:12:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
I think you are going to be underwhelmed by how reliably a .22LR penetrates the skull and then destroys enough functional brain tissue to drop the zombie... I'm not saying it doesn't have its place, but I think its only a suitable round for zombie squirrels.
View Quote

Start at 10:30 if you want to see .22LR headshots.  It does a lot more damage to the skull and brain that you're giving it credit for...

How Deadly Is A 22 Pistol? 22 Pistol vs Human

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#29]
90/22 baby!

That way you can also defend against gou'auld.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

An no one very figured this out in any movie or TV show.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#31]
That's why I own a Ruger Charger SBR fitted with a Sparrow, green dot and 25 rd magazines.  

Ya never know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top