Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2008 3:11:40 AM EDT
I am considering rescuing a Boxer from a kill shelter in Galveston.

She is 5 year old female, spayed and chipped for $85.

Has anyone had experience with introducing a full grown dog into a house hold of two dogs?  JD is a male 1 1/2 years old and very mellow. Sandy is a female 4 years old and a very sweet girl but can be dominant. Will two females get along?
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've rescued many dogs and cats, and never had a problem brining in new dogs into the pack overall, especially girls. Although girls can certainly fight just as much as male dogs in some cases.
They'll have to get used to each other so it's not really the immediate reactions to be concerned about, you wouldn't have reasons for concern unless they have either a longterm problem, or you're bringing in a new small dog who could get injured easily by the other, which doesn't seem to be the case. I have a boxer mix, they're good dogs to, save her.

God bless!
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am considering rescuing a Boxer from a kill shelter in Galveston.

She is 5 year old female, spayed and chipped for $85.

Has anyone had experience with introducing a full grown dog into a house hold of two dogs?  JD is a male 1 1/2 years old and very mellow. Sandy is a female 4 years old and a very sweet girl but can be dominant. Will two females get along?

Provided at least one is spayed, I wouldn't think you'll have a problem.  It really depends more on the dogs.  I wonder if the shelter would let you bring your dog over to meet the boxer.  Introduction in some neutral place wouldn't be a bad idea, so there are no territorial issues.

I don't know if you have much experience with boxers, but they are loads of fun, even when you don't want to have any part of it.  They definitely play different, and rough.  If you aren't used to seeing it, it can easily be mistaken for aggression.  I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

ETA: pic of Homer playing with a Leonberger from obedience school.

Link Posted: 8/6/2008 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. Also to add both my dogs are Boxers. I had 3 at one time but Reggie passed in January. My favorite breed of dog by far.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My favorite breed of dog by far.

Boxers are actually a species between dog and Human.

You should do it to get it away from the kill shelter for sure. If there is a problem you can find a new home for a boxer pretty easy.

The way to avoid trouble is to be the boss with no doubt in thier minds, and don't let them get bored. I've got an unfixed hunting dog and mix him with other dogs all the time.  Keeping him busy and he'll never fight. let him get bored and he is looking to establish himself at the top of the pecking order.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I have brought 2nd dogs into the house. The same sexes will be nipping at each other for the first few days to establish the new pecking order. As long as it doesnt turn into a real fight ignore it. If they start fighting you will have to come down on them like a ton of bricks. And it will quickly stop.

My guess is the 2 girls will nip at each other and setup a new pecking order but no real injuries.

ETA: My female was nipping at the male for the first few days. Till he made it abundantly clear he was going to be the dominant one. And they never had issues after that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 5 year old female boxer and to me, there arent many other breeds that even come close in terms of personality, intelligence and fun. Some can be hyper and they need to run, but they are great overall dogs. My is great with children and I trust her with my infant daughter. Try to find a trainer that is well versed in boxers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I love that playful bow that Boxers are known for.  I wouldn't trade mine for anything!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
itchy did you end up getting the boxer, any pics if you did?
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
itchy did you end up getting the boxer, any pics if you did?

No I didn't get her. I called the rescue and a family had already adopted her!  
But I'm happy she went to a good home.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top