Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/14/2011 7:20:54 AM EDT
I don't like the idea of doping up my dog with unnecessary shots every year just as a carrot to get me to take my dog to the vet every year. (They go anyway for an annual wellness check or when sick.)

Begrudgingly, my vet gave us a 3 year rabies certificate last year ... My dogs are on heartworm preventative and have blood and fecal tests annually.

What are the shots/vaccines and tests that are absolutely needed annually?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't like the idea of doping up my dog with unnecessary shots every year just as a carrot to get me to take my dog to the vet every year. (They go anyway for an annual wellness check or when sick.)

Begrudgingly, my vet gave us a 3 year rabies certificate last year ... My dogs are on heartworm preventative and have blood and fecal tests annually.

What are the shots/vaccines and tests that are absolutely needed annually?

DHLPP and you can think about bordetella for kennel cough.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Add Leptospirosis to that list.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That's part of my problem... finding a vet that thinks like I do. My former vet was there for 20 plus years. When TAMU started changing recommendations for vaccines, he began changing the way he practiced, too. He and his wife sold the place and opened up another office out of town.

The first guy that bought his practice was good. I liked him, my dogs liked him. He lasted about a year and sold to a vet hospital corporation.

In July I visited them, I didn't get a comfortable feeling. They took my dogs in back to examine and draw blood. (I didn't like that too much.)

Then the bill came, for 1 dog, $178 for an exam, fecal flotation and blood test for heartworm with 6 months of flea/tick and heartworm meds.

We've got literally a 100 vets within 10 miles of me. So, we have no shortage of vets. I just have to find one that suits me and my mules.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's part of my problem... finding a vet that thinks like I do. My former vet was there for 20 plus years. When TAMU started changing recommendations for vaccines, he began changing the way he practiced, too. He and his wife sold the place and opened up another office out of town.

The first guy that bought his practice was good. I liked him, my dogs liked him. He lasted about a year and sold to a vet hospital corporation.

In July I visited them, I didn't get a comfortable feeling. They took my dogs in back to examine and draw blood. (I didn't like that too much.)

Then the bill came, for 1 dog, $178 for an exam, fecal flotation and blood test for heartworm with 6 months of flea/tick and heartworm meds.

We've got literally a 100 vets within 10 miles of me. So, we have no shortage of vets. I just have to find one that suits me and my mules.

It's not uncommon to take the animal away to examine and draw blood. You can always ask to be there with your dog, they should be fine with that. We mostly do it because the owners will say they are OK with needles and blood then before you know it they are passed out on the floor.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Parvovirus vaccination, has your dog ever had it?  

If not, have him/her vaccinated for it. I believe it's a one or two time vaccination, not annual.  

If contracted, it can kill quickly. It's highly contagious.  Treatment for Parvo is costly, at around $1500/$2500.00 or even more.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Parvovirus vaccination, has your dog ever had it?  

If not, have him/her vaccinated for it. I believe it's a one or two time vaccination, not annual.  

If contracted, it can kill quickly. It's highly contagious.  Treatment for Parvo is costly, at around $1500/$2500.00 or even more.

Parvo is considered an annual vaccination.

I think it depends on the vet.  I've had vets tell me as long as puppies go through the Parvo series as puppies,  they are good for life.  Others have said it needs to be annual, especially if puppy vaccinations are not known.  I know Parvo vac.is one part of the five part DHLP-P combination vaccinations, but some vets do not use that vaccination.

I recently picked up another pup from a high kill shelter.  He turned out to have Parvo. I took him to my vet, who told me he had a slim chance of survival.  Four days later and $1500.00, he was home.  Now, he acting like a puppy again, bouncing off the walls.  The vet said once a dog has Parvo, they cannot get it again. However, she uses the DHLP-P comb, so he will be vaccinated for it anyway.

My other dog has always gotten the annual DHLP-P, so he is good to go.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top