Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2010 7:36:58 AM EDT
Post your dog(s) up, or put questions and discussion here about coonhounds, bloodhounds, etc. etc.

Well, I've wanted a dog for some time since I've been at my current house, and I finally sprang for this little girl (only $15 at a local animal shelter didn't hurt):

Daisy
- 3 months old when I got her last week

She is half Treeing Walker coonhound and half Boxer, via the previous owner who has the parents.
There was 1 brother and 3 sisters who looked almost identical, but the boy was gone when I got there.

While her colors of course look more like a boxer (white chest patch, darker muzzle, etc.) - although if you saw her from a distance you might think Redbone - her body style is much more than 50% coonhound.
She has the ridge on the top of the head, long, thin tail, longer snout, and just a thin, lean build in general.
Daisy is such a sweet dog and after 2-3 days was already house broken. While she does pee on the "pee pads" in the house or in the patio if I don't take her out often, she has only pooped on the pads twice out on the patio, and she is still young so she probably couldn't hold it.
She has yet to defecate in the house at all.
Listens pretty well, as I let her follow me outside not on a lease occasionally and she sticks by me.
Sleeps in her bed (formerly the cats' bed, but they don't use it) and lays in it while we hang out in the living room. Listens when I tell her to go lay back down in it.
Treats have taught her to sit and she barks very little.
I'll post pictures of the pen I built out back this past Saturday when I get a chance.

Other than that, I had originally browsed Blue Ticks and Plotts (NC State dog). There is a guy 5 minutes from me who raises BT's that I'm going to go check out, and another fellow near my family in the mountains who has Plotts. Possible that Daisy gets a new friend eventually, but we'll have to see how she does by herself for a while. Sometimes I think she may get into less trouble growing up with a buddy to play with...versus sitting in silence trying to figure out how to conquer my dog kennel construction skills.

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Hounds are some of the best dogs I've had.  Daisy looks like a handful.  I still remember my last black and tan Bourbon got him when he was 7weeks.  He would stay outside when I was at work come home let him in.  I've woken up a many a times on the couch with with a big ear covering my face and a 70 pound full grown puppy on top of me.  Going to have to try and scan some pics.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hounds are some of the best dogs I've had.  Daisy looks like a handful.  I still remember my last black and tan Bourbon got him when he was 7weeks.  He would stay outside when I was at work come home let him in.  I've woken up a many a times on the couch with with a big ear covering my face and a 70 pound full grown puppy on top of me.  Going to have to try and scan some pics.

Yeah man, post up some pics!
Black and tans are typically the biggest of the hounds.
Beautiful dogs, but then again, I think all of them are!
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Had to do the take a picture of a picture technique.  If I remember correctly he was about 5 months in this picture.  Still miss the boy.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
They love to peek those eyes over things at you.
When I put her out in the lot, she will often lay down and all I'll see are these eyes and ears sticking out over the cross ties.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Good looking dog!  I used to raise and compete with Walkers, they are a great breed.  I am willing to bet that dog will have a lot of drive and stamina, hopefully she has the Walker longevity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good looking dog!  I used to raise and compete with Walkers, they are a great breed.  I am willing to bet that dog will have a lot of drive and stamina, hopefully she has the Walker longevity.

Yeah, I wonder how much being a "mix" and not close to full blood hurts her from that aspect...
She sure walks with her head down constantly, so I know she can at least smell decent!
The longevity (via thin body, etc.) was definitely something I considered. I hope she has it too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]

She is getting bigger, slowly but surely.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The best of both breeds is starting to show.  You deffently got a winner out of the litter
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The best of both breeds is starting to show.  You deffently got a winner out of the litter

Thanks, man!
She is starting to mind pretty good (Boxer, I suppose).
I really don't even put her on a leash when I let her out and she listens to "no" pretty good.
Considering we've got 4 cats and just by speaking I can get her to literally almost ignore them completely.
Still a puppy in a lot of ways. Head down and tail wagging like an antenna virtually all the time. You'd never guess she was a hound, huh?
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top