Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 3:13:52 AM EDT
My novel has just been accepted by a publishing company. They are suppose to be getting back to me shortly for contract negotiations. I have no idea what I should expect or ask for. Any help or insight from your experiences in publishing would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
-Paul
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#1]
What publisher? I didn't get an advance on my first few novels, and didn't expect one, that just made it sweeter once I did start to get them. Retaining rights for film and TV, along with making sure they have good ebook and foreign programs is a good idea too, if not, retain those rights as well. Frankly, I didn't negotiate at all-though my publisher does have everything that I could want spelled out in the contract-but did get a ton of input on my cover and in the editorial process. Those were much bigger sticking points for me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
absolutely no help here.

But I'd be interested to hear how you got to the point where your novel was submitted, as somewhat of an amature author myself who has dreams.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
absolutely no help here.

But I'd be interested to hear how you got to the point where your novel was submitted, as somewhat of an amature author myself who has dreams.
View Quote

Write a ton, read a ton, and buy Writer's Market when you're ready to submit.

My story in a nutshell-

My story on Amazon
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What publisher? I didn't get an advance on my first few novels, and didn't expect one, that just made it sweeter once I did start to get them. Retaining rights for film and TV, along with making sure they have good ebook and foreign programs is a good idea too, if not, retain those rights as well. Frankly, I didn't negotiate at all-though my publisher does have everything that I could want spelled out in the contract-but did get a ton of input on my cover and in the editorial process. Those were much bigger sticking points for me.
View Quote

The publisher is Permuted Press.
Thanks for the input, it will be interesting to see what offer they come up with.
Congratulations on your writing success, sounds like it is really working out for you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input, it will be interesting to see what offer they come up with.
Congratulations on your writing success, sounds like it is really working out for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, nice! Permuted Press puts out some good stuff. Best of luck with them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
The offer is not bad. I get an advance on the manuscript plus a percentage of all net profits. The percentages are larger on foreign sales and audio books. They get the movie rights, but I also get a percentage of that if it ever happens. They do actively market their books to TV and movie interests. I can be involved in both the cover and editing and have the final 'yeah/nay' say. I decided to only do a two book deal and they get the option of first offers on any subsequent books.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The offer is not bad. I get an advance on the manuscript plus a percentage of all net profits. The percentages are larger on foreign sales and audio books. They get the movie rights, but I also get a percentage of that if it ever happens. They do actively market their books to TV and movie interests. I can be involved in both the cover and editing and have the final 'yeah/nay' say. I decided to only do a two book deal and they get the option of first offers on any subsequent books.
View Quote

That "net profits" line worries me, just a tad. Ask the guy who's book became "The Road to Wellville", iirc. He got 'net profits' from the movie, and while it grossed millions, he got hundreds, because of accounting tricks.

It MIGHT be worth contacting an intellectual property lawyer, so you aren't signing away rights you're not expecting to.

KrisWrites and PassiveVoice are writing websites that could have better info that what I have.

Congratulations! You're living the dream, man! Only a step or two away from Patterson-type money, right?
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats. Does this mean you're not going to do redo my frenum?
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I just submitted with Permuted Press and have emailed with one of their guys back and forth a little bit. Seem like a really good bunch, fingers crossed. Its nice to see what some of the considerations are when you get offered. Movie/TV rights are something I would retain or have to bite the bullet and hire a lawyer to make sure I don't get screwed on.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Permuted Press, congrats on being one of their new authors. They are a great group of people to work with and have a great following. I'm glad to see they are branching out more and into Post Apocalyptic genera.

I know a few of their authors from the internet and one author and I have kept in touch. If I remember right and what they have all said you do get to put in your input on the cover artwork and I think you retain the TV and movie rights.

As a side note they are now linked with Simon and Schuster. You have stepped into a great group of authors with a great publisher. Permuted Press has a great following.

Congrats! Keep us posted and tell us more about your book. I'm an Indy author and the process from writing, editing, cover artwork to putting it in print is a long process but a great learning experience.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I would strongly recommend consulting an attorney with the relevant area of expertise. That way there's a legal professional involved in the process who is bound to work on your behalf.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys for the comments. The one thing I like about giving them the movie rights and retaining a portion of the royalties, it that they will promote it to movie and television execs, somthing I probably wouldn't be able to do. It doesn't sound like they are trying to screw me over on any of the royalties or rights. I'll have to see if I can locate an appropriate lawyer and how much they would charge to review the contract. I'm kind of a 'babe in the woods' where all this is concerned.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Right, them actively promoting to TV/Movie guys is awesome, and I dont think they are screw artists like other publishers could be, but you never know if your fun little ebook (talking about mine here) could somehow explode into the next Hunger Games or Twilight or whatever and you definitely want to make sure you get appropriate and balanced compensation for that if in the statistically very unlikely event that happens.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have an agent?  How did you acquire them?
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Permuted Press did have one of their authors pitched to a movie house and it was green lit for a movie. I can't remember the books name now. For some reason "Drop Dead Fred" sounds like the name but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Keep us posted this is very exciting and I'm very excited for you! It is always good to see someone get their work out there but it also really good when a publishing house like Permuted Press recognizes your hard work and wants to publish it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I did sign the Publishing Agreement with Permuted Press. I had someone look it over and said it was a pretty good deal for me.
The first book is expected to be released in the September/October time frame.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, I did sign the Publishing Agreement with Permuted Press. I had someone look it over and said it was a pretty good deal for me.
The first book is expected to be released in the September/October time frame.
View Quote

That is awesome! Congrats and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Rock on, that is great!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:41:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got my rejection notice from  Permuted. woohoo
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

any constructive feedback in the letter?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#21]
nope, but I honestly do appreciate their timely reply and Its not just sitting out there for a year.

What really sucks is that I sent in my manuscripts, and then ended up doing another round of editing... stupid. The stuff I changed didnt change the story at all, so as long as they evaluate based on content and not a 100% ready for them to copy and paste into their printing press, I know that wasnt the issue. May toss in a constructive feedback request in my thank you reply.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Already heard back form them. Very frank, polite and professional. Permuted is good people! You're a lucky guy OP!

ETA, it was the pitch I didnt wow them with. They never read the manuscript.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry to hear that. Don't get discouraged, there are a lot of other publishers out there. Look at someplace like Baen publishing. They would have been my second choice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Already heard back form them. Very frank, polite and professional. Permuted is good people! You're a lucky guy OP!

ETA, it was the pitch I didnt wow them with. They never read the manuscript.
View Quote

Sounds like a case of "if they can't wow with the pitch, then how can they do it with a story?"

I'd say that's good feedback.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Ive got a submission in with Baen too and Permuted said to resubmit in about 6 months or so so no, Im not too broken up over it. Gives me time to polish the books some more, get some more amazon numbers and reviews and of course, redo the pitch.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top