Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 8/25/2010 3:58:44 AM EDT
The Frontiersmen
By  Allan W. Eckert

Thanks to whoever recommended this book (I couldn't find the thread).  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If anyone has any other recommendations on the frontier, the opening of the West, "Wild West" etc, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A little different time period and further west–– but Vanished Arizona by Martha Summerhayes is a good story of frontier life in the post-Civil War far west from the perspective of a military wife.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I've read a couple of Eckert's books - "The Wilderness War" and "A sorrow in Our Hearts."

He has a talent for bringing meticulously researched history to life.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The Frontiersmen

By  Allan W. Eckert
Thanks to whoever recommended this book (I couldn't find the thread).  I thoroughly enjoyed it.
If anyone has any other recommendations on the frontier, the opening of the West, "Wild West" etc, I'd appreciate it.

Check out the rest of the books in Eckert's "Winning of America" series, particularly "That Dark and Bloody River", which is about the settlement of the upper Ohio River region - up around Wheeling, WV.  Sam Brady was just as badassed as Kenton and Boone. :)

Also have a look at Ted Franklin Belue's books, "The Hunters of Kentucky" and "The Long Hunt".  I think you'd enjoy those too.

James Alexander Thom has a few good books about the frontier (historically-based fiction) too - "The Long Knife" about George Rogers Clark and his campaign to the Illinois Territory and "Follow the River" about Mary Ingles' capture and escape from the indians.  

Some other "classics" on the subject are "Seedtime on the Cumberland" by Harriet Simpson Arnow, "Notes on the Settlement and Indian Wars of the Western Parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783" by Rev. Joseph Doddridge and "The Journals of Nicholas Cresswell 1774-1777" by Nicholas Cresswell.

I love the history of the Longhunter Era and the Early American Frontier.

ETA:  I'm also a big Lewis & Clark nerd.  You may also enjoy Stephen Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage" and one of the various editions of Lewis & Clark's journals also.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the recommendations.  

I came across this during my search, if anyone is interested...
"American Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920"
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/lhtnhtml/lhtnhome.html

"Undaunted Courage" is easily one of my favorites.  It makes me proud thinking of what an amazing accomplishment it was.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top