Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2018 6:34:32 PM EDT
Well, the deal was too good to pass up and the only thing I didn't like was the Floyd...cheapest hardtail version of the same model can't be found for at least $450 more than I paid so I grabbed some poplar stock from the old HD.  Glued two 0.75" thick pieces together and used a compound mitre saw to trim them down. My saw doesn't safely trim very small pieces so I cut pieces of varying thickness for the rear side of the trem and just matched up two that fit.  These were also glued together.  I screwed the spring anchor down a few extra turns so that it presses against the front block. Both the front and rear blocks we're affixed to the body with a very small bead of glue which could be cut with a utility knife should one want to use the trem again... Not too bad for a redneck.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
While I don't agree with what you did, you did a good job on it and bonus points for not making it permanent.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That'll work.
I replaced the springs with pieces of stiff wire (coat hanger) in a Squire Affinity I had.
Worked great, no trem movement, but easy to pop out and replace with original springs if I wanted too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I put in a brass plate for dive only, under the springs. Then crank the springs tension
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put in a brass plate for dive only, under the springs. Then crank the springs tension
View Quote
That's what I had to do for my EVH with the D-tuna.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I put in a brass plate for dive only, under the springs. Then crank the springs tensionAny
View Quote
Any strange resonance from two pieces of metal resting against each other like that? I was going for more of a hardtail sound so wood was ideal for mine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While I don't agree with what you did, you did a good job on it and bonus points for not making it permanent.
View Quote
I can appreciate that.  The Floyd has a striking look that I think we're used to seeing on these guitars but I went to a concert club last night and saw three bands (traditional metal, alt metal, and I guess contemporary hard rock?) And not a single player had a trem.  Wide variety of styles and equipment but no springs.  While I'm a fan of EVH, Jeff Beck, and Satriani, I'll never try to emulate any of their trem work.  I really like having the fine tuners though .
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I've blocked up a few floyd Rose tremelos in my day. Doesn't effect the sound at all.....and it sure does stay in tune better. Unless you are constantly doing evh dive bomb type stuff (who does that anyways??), I think the Floyd rose trems are more trouble than they are worth.

Good job OP!
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've blocked up a few floyd Rose tremelos in my day. Doesn't effect the sound at all.....and it sure does stay in tune better. Unless you are constantly doing evh dive bomb type stuff (who does that anyways??), I think the Floyd rose trems are more trouble than they are worth.

Good job OP!
View Quote
Strangely this one stayed in tune great as compared with the licensed one's I've had previously. For me, I wanted to be able to rest my hand on the bridge. I never understood why Kahler's never became the prevalent OEM trem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You did a good job. But from a past experience of mine, that block of wood will expand and contract with the seasons. It may not be enough to notice, or it will, only time will tell.

If it does expand and contract too much, these work well.
https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Bridges_and_Tailpieces_for_Electric_Guitar/Floyd_Rose_Tremolos/Floyd_Rose_Tremolo_Stop_Lock.html

And congrats on the new guitar! What is it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
It would be great if someone developed an enhanced Floyd Rose that could be decked or floated on-the-fly*. IIRC, the FRX does have a thumbscrew to do just that, but it's a different animal.

*Not in the spring cavity like a Tremol-No, Göldo Back box, or modified closet door bolt latch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#11]
You could have just put in five heavy springs and called it a day.   That way the trem wouldn't move unless you really, REALLY wanted it to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You did a good job. But from a past experience of mine, that block of wood will expand and contract with the seasons. It may not be enough to notice, or it will, only time will tell.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Bridges_and_Tailpieces_for_Electric_Guitar/Floyd_Rose_Tremolos/Floyd_Rose_Tremolo_Stop_Lock.html

View Quote
Same one from my pawn shop score thread... 2012 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Extreme FR M.  EMG 81/89R... $215.

I used Poplar and glued two pieces together to reduce the expansion. We're in 80-90% humidity most of the time and I placed the blocks outside for 24 hours after gluing them together.  If the front blocks expands, then the rear will also, offsetting the effect.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I love my D-tuna. I really need to break out that guitar again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered building the following crime against Les Pauldom:
-60s style or shaved neck
-Edges at neck joint & cutaway taken down for comfortable higher fret access
-Sustainiac system
-Floyd Rose FRX with D-tuna
-9-46 D'Addarios.

Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered building the following crime against Les Pauldom:
-Sustainiac system
-9-46 D'Addarios.

Have
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Sustainiac system
-9-46 D'Addarios.

Have
Have y'all just forgotten about Kahler's???? Much nicer install on an archtop...
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have y'all just forgotten about Kahler's???? Much nicer install on an archtop...
View Quote
Does a Kahler have the ability to float or deck with the turn of a thumbscrew?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really a floating type system...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really a floating type system...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/uxxqopyjwvjlaxjujlfb-666602.JPG
[smacks face] Oh yeah, you're right. That guitar is , by the way. Love those plain top LPs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

[smacks face] Oh yeah, you're right. That guitar is , by the way. Love those plain top LPs.
View Quote
When I was looking for that pic I came across this Kahler that was installed on a Washburn RS-10V with what looked like odd screws from bottom of a toolbox.... I would hate to see what was put underneath it..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same one from my pawn shop score thread... 2012 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Extreme FR M.  EMG 81/89R... $215.

I used Poplar and glued two pieces together to reduce the expansion. We're in 80-90% humidity most of the time and I placed the blocks outside for 24 hours after gluing them together.  If the front blocks expands, then the rear will also, offsetting the effect.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/IMG_20180905_201108619-666355.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/IMG_20180830_193531971_LL-666361.JPG
View Quote
Ah, ok. And I didn't realize that two blocks would counteract each other like that. Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ah, ok. And I didn't realize that two blocks would counteract each other like that. Interesting.
View Quote
Just my theory but the pieces on either side are slices of the same two boards glued together.  They should absorb moisture similarly to each other. When they expand they will just squeeze the metal trem block. One is thicker but I can't see that really causing it to shift more one way than the other becausr they are already in there pretty tight.  I did make it snug but not so tight the bridge couldn't be raised or lowered either.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I blocked the trem on a Mexican Strat I bought the same way. It worked out well. I used rock Maple for the blocks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I blocked the trem on a Mexican Strat I bought the same way. It worked out well. I used rock Maple for the blocks.
View Quote
I would've liked to have some maple or walnut avail (even looked for an old cutting board around) for this. Poplar seems to be a good choice as I did notice a subtle change in the character once it was blocked. One cool byproduct was that the guitar is slightly louder when playing without the amp.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I need to look into this. I have a Flying V that hasn't been out the case in a dozen years because of that damn Floyd.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I need to look into this. I have a Flying V that hasn't been out the case in a dozen years because of that damn Floyd.
View Quote
Why I'm surprised this isn't a more popular mod.  All kinds of great used guitars sitting on store shelves because no one had any use for the bendy bridge.  Only things similar to what I was looking for were $350 more than what I paid so it was a no-brainer to at least attempt this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#26]
The ironic thing is, the tuning stability on a properly set up Floyd that's in good repair is better than a fixed bridge.

And yes, I own several examples of both, along with some non-locking trems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The ironic thing is, the tuning stability on a properly set up Floyd that's in good repair is better than a fixed bridge.

View Quote
I do agree, this FR 1000 held tune very well.

ETA:. I had to re-read... I would agree with "almost as well as a fixed bridge" but not better.  Reason I blocked it-won't hold while I rest my palm on it lol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with this statement.

There are two types of guitarists.
Those that can set up their Floyd Rrose equipped guitars and those that can't.

Any one of my Jacksons (even with the licensed Floyd Rose bridges) will stay in tune for a whole set (an hour of not stop speed metal).
Not a single one of my Gibsons can do 4 of the same songs of set without needing adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I never had any issue with the Floyd other than I can't rest my hand on the bridge like I can every other guitar I own.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. I rarely have to tune my FR guitars but I swear I have to retune my static bridge guitars like every time I grab one.

That being said, obviously much easier on static bridges.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't have the palm problem that some have. One of the things I learned early on is that you don't need to grind your hand into the bridge when palm muting. It doesn't take much pressure, and if you need heavier muting, just move your hand closer to the pickup.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do agree, this FR 1000 held tune very well.

ETA:. I had to re-read... I would agree with "almost as well as a fixed bridge" but not better.  Reason I blocked it-won't hold while I rest my palm on it lol.
View Quote
Then you're pressing down too hard.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Then you're pressing down too hard.
View Quote
Well that's just how I roll and at my age, ain't gonna change.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I usually just take a few coins and wedge them in then crank the tension down tight.  Then leave the trem bar in the case.  Quick and easy to reverse.

I love the look of a floyd style bridge.  Most fixed bridges just look bare to me.  Kind of wish someone would make a floyd looking fixed bridge complete with the fine tuners.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I usually just take a few coins and wedge them in then crank the tension down tight.  Then leave the trem bar in the case.  Quick and easy to reverse.

I love the look of a floyd style bridge.  Most fixed bridges just look bare to me.  Kind of wish someone would make a floyd looking fixed bridge complete with the fine tuners.
View Quote
Do the coins fall out if you divebomb?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actual fixed Floyd Rose

Attachment Attached File

Fixed Floyd Rose-ish

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actual fixed Floyd Rose

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58021/2803433809_gtr_frt_001_rr-676446.JPG

Fixed Floyd Rose-ish

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58021/2914224576_gtr_frt_001_rr-676440.JPG
Appears the body isn't even routered for the springs and anchor. Curious if they leave it with room for shims to get bridge angle perfect or if their CNC nails it during body construction.  From that price I should be able to charge $2,295 for blocking a trem..
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do the coins fall out if you divebomb?
View Quote
That's why I leave the bar in the case.  So no divebombing...
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Awesome!
View All Quotes
His older Ibanez signature guitars also had fixed bridges with fine-tuners, but they were based on the Lo Pro Edge or Edge III instead of a Floyd.

Quoted:
You could have just put in five heavy springs and called it a day.   That way the trem wouldn't move unless you really, REALLY wanted it to.
I run 13-56s, so my RG470 is blocked and has all 5 springs
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

His older Ibanez signature guitars also had fixed bridges with fine-tuners, but they were based on the Lo Pro Edge or Edge III instead of a Floyd.

I run 13-56s, so my RG470 is blocked and has all 5 springs
View Quote
I guess since I blocked both sides I won't need to add springs.  I tuned to E-Flat for the first time since I blocked it and no issues.  Trem level didn't change so I must've gotten it just right.  I played for a bit unplugged this weekend and with the neck thru walnut/mahogany construction and the added contact between the bridge and body it really resonates so much more than before.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have never blocked a Floyd in any of the guitars I've owned because of tuning stability.

The thing about a FR that I don't enjoy is losing string tension on aggressive bends....sounds like ass, I hate having to compensate for it, and alternative tunings/drop tunings are something I do quite a bit, also a big PITA.

That said, I don't really have tuning problems with anything I've owned. If I do, it's usually an easy/cheap fix.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics? I use the D Tuna as well on some guitars, I don't care for the trem blockers and am interested in your set up.

@soopagloo

@4banger
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use these and don't really care for them, they cause the trem to slide all over when changing strings, need to place a pile of business cards under the trem to keep it from moving.

That and the fact that you have to put it in the middle of the trem and you have to move the middle spring to one side or the other.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Pics? I use the D Tuna as well on some guitars, I don't care for the trem blockers and am interested in your set up.

@soopagloo

@4banger
View Quote
@RECONSIX  Brass trem stopper from futone.com
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I've been looking at building a Warmoth super-strat...
I'd like the Floyd baseplate to sit flat on the body...
Do I need an angled body pocket or the 720 pocket mod?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've been looking at building a Warmoth super-strat...
I'd like the Floyd baseplate to sit flat on the body...
Do I need an angled body pocket or the 720 pocket mod?
View Quote
By flat on the body I'm assuming you mean flush with the body? Flat on the body would mean decked or a non-routed trem like a standard strat to most people.  Assuming you mean flush with the body, the 720 mod would be your best bet as an angled neck pocket would give you the opposite of what you seek. Angled neck pockets are for bridge option that sit higher than standard and you are mounting at or below standard bridge height if I understand you correctly.

Reading Warmoth's specs again you are only gaining 1/10" of an inch but it's the only option they have which would evenly lower the action, which still might not let you lower the plate low enough to sit flush.  I really don't think you would need it at all if you intended just to have the bottom of the plate sit level with the top of the body.

Decked/flat:
Attachment Attached File

Flush/flat:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371433/IMG-3415-701314.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@soopagloo

@4banger
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371433/IMG-3415-701314.JPG
Thanks, I finally got around to taking some pics, I've been using the brass ones, like this:

I did recently pick one of these up to try out, supposed to be able to pull up as well as dive and keep in tune when D Tuna is used, they're made by Kahler, it's a real PITA to set it up, it's a fine balance between the trem springs and the stabilizer spring:

The only reason I have these on my working guitars is for drop tuning, I use EVH D Tuna on my Floyd equipped guitars.

@soopagloo
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

By flat on the body I'm assuming you mean flush with the body? Flat on the body would mean decked or a non-routed trem like a standard strat to most people.  Assuming you mean flush with the body, the 720 mod would be your best bet as an angled neck pocket would give you the opposite of what you seek. Angled neck pockets are for bridge option that sit higher than standard and you are mounting at or below standard bridge height if I understand you correctly.

Reading Warmoth's specs again you are only gaining 1/10" of an inch but it's the only option they have which would evenly lower the action, which still might not let you lower the plate low enough to sit flush.  I really don't think you would need it at all if you intended just to have the bottom of the plate sit level with the top of the body.

Decked/flat:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/IMG_20180908_170516204-665590_JPG-704738.JPG

Flush/flat:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/jksn_highlight_2803433809_BRIDGE_jpg-704736.JPG
View Quote
Since not all guitar bodies are flat...  It should be a perfect 90* to the posts the trem pivots on.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Not Floyd, but I was doing this to Strats circa mid '90s. Thought it might spark some ideas . . .

Set the bolt heads against the rear of the cavity with the trem plate slightly off the body in front, then crank down the pivot screws. It's not moving and no weird noises.

These days I let the factory do the work . . .

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top