Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2012 7:18:51 PM EDT
I am completely baffled.....

So I'm noodling on the Strat last night, just watching TV and playing unplugged on the couch. I notice my fingertips are FILTHY so I'm like, "Yeah it could use a new set of strings and a fingerboard cleaning." It was late so I put it off till tonight. I happen to have a few new packs of strings (recent switch to Ernie Ball from D'Addario) and I have the Dunlop cleaning kit.

I take the strings off and start with the cleaner & prep with a clean rag....the board is FILTHY. I clean the board, do a pass on the frets with a micro paper thingy in the kit, wipe the neck down again and apply the wood conditioner. As I'm removing the excess conditioner I'm noticing the rag is still turning BLACK. WTF!

I let it dry a few minutes and start with the cleaner again. A couple of squirts on a clean rag and start wiping the board down....BLACK!!! I keep turning the rag and it keeps coming back BLACK with every pass. This is an 95 American Standard Stratocaster with a rosewood board...I'm the only owner of this guitar and have never seen this before. Last time I cleaned the board was maybe 6 months ago....this did not happen then.

I finally got to where I THOUGH i was GTG. Strung her back up with fresh Ernie Ball 10's....tune, stretch, tune, stretch, etc. Start playing a bit....fingertips are BLACK, BLACK, BLACK.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!!?

Anyone?!?!?
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I got nothing, but am interested to find out the cause.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Shit....was hoping someone knew what was going on. I must have spent a good half hour wiping that board down last night. Tonight I'm removing the bridge so I don't have to restring it and taking an old t-shirt to that neck till it stops.

I can't figure this out.... The board looks gorgeous and clean.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure the cleaner you're using isn't stripping the paint or something?

Do you pick up anything with dry rags?  Not one of those oil impregnated things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Paint on the fretboard??? Don't think so.

Not that it should matter, but is your neck maple or rosewood?

BTW, fretboards do not need anything put on them, except maybe a drop or two of lemon oil every couple of years.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Rosewood board, no paint and clean rags.

As for the lemon oil, yeah...It's not like I'm cleaning the board with every string change. Last time I cleaned it was maybe 6 months ago, usually just wipe it down.

I got the Dunlop cleaning system as a stocking stuffer so I've been using it. It has a "cleaner/prep" spray that you spray on a rag and wipe down, then a "deep conditioner" which is most likely lemon oil.

Can't wait for the baby to go to sleep so I can get at this.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Paint on the fretboard??? Don't think so.  

Not that it should matter, but is your neck maple or rosewood?

BTW, fretboards do not need anything put on them, except maybe a drop or two of lemon oil every couple of years.

This.

I just rub in some lemon oil when they start to look a little dry, usually once a year.

That black stuff is probably just crud built up from over doing it with the conditioner.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top